• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand propping up Logan like it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same things that made The Wolverine meh. Nevermind the fact it's just a slightly more violent version of a lot of other movies already occupying the genre, with the added benefit of having 12-year-old-just-learning-how-to-swear dialogue attached to it. I guess that makes grown men feel more secure about liking comic book characters so they wanna sing its praises, but it doesn't make for a classic western-wannabe, nor does it really separate it from the other movies it's trying so desperately to be different from. It just ends up feeling like it's ashamed of being based on a comic book character.

But I digress. Y'all love the movie and it's a masterpiece and yada yada yada. Weird, but, eh. What's a guy to do?

Sorry for dragging us off topic.

Projecting.jpg

And I haven't even seen Logan yet.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I just don't understand propping up Logan like it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same things that made The Wolverine meh. Nevermind the fact it's just a slightly more violent version of a lot of other movies already occupying the genre, with the added benefit of having 12-year-old-just-learning-how-to-swear dialogue attached to it. I guess that makes grown men feel more secure about liking comic book characters so they wanna sing its praises, but it doesn't make for a classic western-wannabe, nor does it really separate it from the other movies it's trying so desperately to be different from. It just ends up feeling like it's ashamed of being based on a comic book character.

But I digress. Y'all love the movie and it's a masterpiece and yada yada yada. Weird, but, eh. What's a guy to do?

Sorry for dragging us off topic.

bolded in case you wonder why no one is going to take you seriously in a thread full of nerds with comic book avatars

Gotta admit, it's amusing that Deadpool makes anyone think Fox suddenly gets or cares for the X-Men now. Especially since Kinberg is involved. But by the time anyone realizes what's happening, I suspect everyone will have supported the film and guaranteed its continuation for another few years.

I hate this cycle.

A good film is a good film regardless of whether a studio 'gets or cared for it'.

You act like just coz Marvel care for all there Movies they are all incredible or classics

AndersK

A good film is a good film regardless of whether a studio 'gets or cared for it'.

You act like just coz Marvel care for all there Movies they are all incredible or classics

I'm fairly sure Marvel Dropped Thor 2: Meme a fair amount of times, but not for lack of caring. They really tried
killing it

It's obnoxious really. A few diehard mcu fans here still think this way but whatever. We all got different opinions at the end of the day

I'm just glad we got alternative marvel films to just the mcu. Because I find a lot of the marvel characters cool but I'm pretty meh on mcu as a whole. So something else is nice and fox have put out some great (and some awful) stuff over the years

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Logan was mostly sad and boring.

Anyway, I'm glad Guardians 2 is reviewing well. I wasn't completely enamored with the first movie, but the trailers for the sequel have me hopeful.

Yeah, that's part of what it is for me. I could give a rat's ass about what costume Wolverine is wearing, how many sick continuity plugs there are, or anything like that. I just want some strong filmmaking, storytelling, performances. I want these movies to be enjoyable movies on their own before we get to that stuff. That's not to shit on Marvel, I really enjoy most of their movies and have been absolutely loving everything in Phase 3 thus far. But dog, at the end of the day, I just wanna watch a good-ass movie.

bolded in case you wonder why no one is going to take you seriously in a thread full of nerds with comic book avatars

Whether you agree or not hardly matters. People needing these characters to be continually stripped of what makes them them in order to wanna see them on film is shitty, whether they're nerds or not.

Of course they aren't. Duh. But if you aren't gonna respect the character, what exactly is the point of making a movie based on the character? You just end up with…everything Fox has put out that wasn't Deadpool.

Changes are fine, of course. Get the spirit of the shit right, though. Nail a great representation of the character and figure everything else out after that. They're not mutually exclusive.

Whether you agree or not hardly matters. People needing these characters to be continually stripped of what makes them them in order to wanna see them on film is shitty, whether they're nerds or not.

Of course they aren't. Duh. But if you aren't gonna respect the character, what exactly is the point of making a movie based on the character? You just end up with…everything Fox has put out that wasn't Deadpool.

Changes are fine, of course. Get the spirit of the shit right, though.

what if the spirit of the shit is different to different people?

Changes are fine, of course. Get the spirit of the shit right, though. Nail a great representation of the character and figure everything else out after that. They're not mutually exclusive.

There are plenty of films out there which get the spirit of the shit right and the films turn out average to garbage so whats the problem with switching things up.

I'd argue there's a range the vast majority of these characters should travel.

You can actually put them in a lot of new, interesting situations on film, in comics, on TV, whatever, without significantly altering who the characters are.

There are plenty of films out there which get the spirit of the shit right and the films turn out average to garbage so whats the problem with switching things up.

Those films aren't bad because they tried to nail the characters, and arguing that they were doesn't hold much weight.

Exactly. Plus, comic-book characters are too malleable anyway.
What is the spirit of Batman? '39 Batman has almost nothing to do with O'Neil's Batman, who is different than Miller's, etc. So, which one are you supposed to respect?
It doesn't matter. Same thing with X-Men.

Theecliff

Banned
Id put it after spiderman 2 as well but yeah that's the new trinity now
yup. rewatching tdk and spider-man 2 recently only reaffirmed how i felt about them. with spider-man 2 in particular i swear everytime i rewatch it i like it just a little bit more.
and kick-ass is in a slightly distant 4th because i fucking love that film and don't care what people think

That's basically how and why these characters endured for decades. I mean, we're in a Guardians of the Galaxy movie thread; it is itself a departure from the spirit of Abnett's run it's most influenced by, and Abnett's from older versions of the team.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's not about the characters themselves but about how they're written. Sure, I'd love to see Doom in the MCU but a villain like Ronan could have been just as good if handled properly.

You can write good villains and it has nothing to do with the rights. Absolutely nothing.

It does a bit.

The problem with many of the villains they've had so far is that a single movie just isn't enough time to do them justice. What you really need in this format is enemies that are visually striking, with simple back stories. That or established, top tier bad guys.

Mett

The reviews are a bit lower then I'd expect but I think I'm still going to really enjoy this film. I remember being so skeptical going into the first one because I had never heard of the characters because I wasn't very big into comics, but now I'm just so anxious to see this movie.

Dabanton

For me the first movie skated along on being fairly exuberant and at that point something a lot different from what Marvel had been previously offering. Plus Groot etc. I found parts of it puerile and childish. But it was funny in parts.

My main problem with it and it's been a problem with a lot of MCU movies they undersell any actual danger the character are in. It's like as characters I can't take them seriously.

I'm expecting a perfectly serviceable but fairly forgettable movie.

Cuburt

Anyone find it is bizarre that the best villain Logan has ever crossed in the films is himself, both literally and metaphorically. It's like the film makers realized that's the best they got in Logan after failing twice to make good villains in the previous Wolverine films.

Glass Rebel

Logan has some incredibly high highs and some very low lows. It's a very uneven movie. The cursing felt forced as hell and the violence lost its impact after the first few slashes.

I like it but it doesn't make my top 10.

Boke1879

No desire to watch it again.. ut oh.

As much as I enjoy these Marvel movies. This is exactly how I felt after Avengers, Ultron, and even the first GOTG. Which I liked a lot.

Just no real desire to see them again. Saw Civil War like 4 times though.

I'll go see this no doubt on opening day, but I doubt it's going to capture the magic that the first one did.

CloudWolf

Logan says fuck and there's blood. A lot of Deadpool praise seems to stem from the same place. And don't get me started on the DCEU.

Just…how old are these people?
People claiming Logan is great because it is rated R are being silly. It's just a really good film that's unlike any other comic book movie out there because it focuses on being a great character piece first and an action film second. It having cursing, blood and nudity is just a bonus.

Harmen

I was hoping for better reviews but it sounds like a solid but predictable (more of the same) sequel. Still, since I have had at good time with about any MCU film, I will see this one in cinema for sure.

Also, Logan was amazing in my opinion. It will be hard to top that one for me this year personally, in terms of superhero flicks (maaaybe if Thor is as good as the trailer).

BumRush

RT Critic's Consensus said:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2's action-packed plot, dazzling visuals, and irreverent humor add up to a sequel that's almost as fun -- if not quite as thrillingly fresh -- as its predecessor.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear...

7Th

Logan was a good movie with great characters and exciting action scenes but it exists in an awkward mix between overwritten and underwritten.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
As long as this approaches the quality of the first movie, I'll be happy. Got IMAX tickets for wednesday, so I'll know the answer soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom