• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raguel

I couldn't possibly roll my eyes any harder at the idea that Logan did anything approximating saving the year in comic films, much less the genre.

Jesus.
Hah yeah I agree. It's a very good film but some people hailing it as a savior is just....Well, it's a very good film.

Hah yeah I agree. It's a very good film but some people hailing it as a savior is just....Well, it's a very good film.

Logan says fuck and there's blood. A lot of Deadpool praise seems to stem from the same place. And don't get me started on the DCEU.

Just…how old are these people?

Raguel

Logan says fuck and there's blood. A lot of Deadpool praise seems to stem from the same place. And don't get me started on the DCEU.

Logan is a little more subtle than that haha. The dynamic between him and Patrick Stewart is great. The ending left me unsatisfied however and there were parts that felt off. It almost reached greatness.

I didn't particularly think Deadpool was anything amazing, even as a big fan of the character (his uncanny xforce by remender is aces).

As for the DCEU.....Well, there it is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

old enough to have an aging father and relate to that?

sounds like you didn't "get" Logan

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was so disappointed when I left te Cinema after Logan. It was so praised as if it would be as good as TDK but in the end it was just very good.
Hated X-24 to death.
I think R-Ratings are making the people hyping stuff a bit to much.

The Kree

Banned
I was so disappointed when I left te Cinema after Logan. It was so praised as if it would be as good as TDK but in the end it was just very good.
Hated X-24 to death.

It only affects manbabies who need their affection for their toys validated.

Logan is a little more subtle than that haha. The dynamic between him and Patrick Stewart is great. The ending left me unsatisfied however and there were parts that felt off. It almost reached greatness.

I didn't particularly think Deadpool was anything amazing, even as a big fan of the character (his uncanny xforce by remender is aces).

As for the DCEU.....Well, there it is.

I actually really fucking loved Deadpool. It was perfect for the character. A lot of the praise for it comes from an odd place, though.

old enough to have an aging father and relate to that?

sounds like you didn't "get" Logan

You don't know anything about me or what I relate to. I got the movie. It was a decent movie (though not really a good X-Men one. Surprise, surprise, we're still dealing with Fox here). The idea that it was amazing because it was so "grown up" is just frustrating. These complaints always seem to come from people that don't actually like comic books and cry out "FINALLY, no more of this kiddie shit!" every time DC or Fox announce a new movie because they don't know a gotdamn thing about the source material. The shit is weird. It's a comic book movie. Lighten the fuck up.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Hated X-24 to death.

It only affects manbabies who need their affection for their toys validated.

What am I reading.

Raguel

Hated X-24 to death.

The Dark Knight is still one of my fav comic films, even with all its flaws. I still play "A watchful guardian" as the first song on my gym list every time I go to the gym. Every time.

Logan I need to watch a couple more times but after leaving the theater, I didn't feel a need to watch it again like with TDK, Avengers, Spidey 2, or the Cap series.

Theecliff

Banned
yeah, wtf. logan might not have been perfect (dat act 3 pacing) but it was damned great, and not 'just because there was blood and swearing'

i'd gladly argue that despite it's problems it's better than all the films in the mcu, and i say that as someone who's fairly tepid on the x-men series and enjoys most mcu stuff

Sapiens

Yeah, Logan was pretty good, but it did not live up to the hype at all. I loved the interplay between Logan and Charles but I could have used more Stephen Merchant in the mix. The villains did nothing for me and they wasted Withnail. The ending just fell too far into shitty annoying kids territory.

I guess it was nice to finally get a wolverine movie with dismemberment.

It looks like Gotg2 is getting the reviews the first one deserved. I just don't get the appeal of it and to hear people describe it, the first is some sort of rewatchable classic. It was just another Marvel movie in the same league of blandness as Dr Strange.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What am I reading.
Its like when you are talking about Dr Strange :p

No really, its a really good movie, loved the persoal moments and scenes, but everytime anything started to make action, it really became super bad. The only good action scene is IMO when Lauras powers are revealed and Logan drove away.
And the dismemberment scenes were so cheesy, I hated these even more. Could have beend left out and I would have liked the movie more.

The Winter Soldier came out 3 years ago, but Logan is the best comic book movie to release in several years.

Seriously guys, what the fuck?

AndersK

The Winter Soldier came out 3 years ago, but Logan is the best comic book movie to release in several years.

But...that's two generally liked, well reviewed movies. I get preferring either. It feels like you're the one who should calm a bit down.

People wonder how so many opinions can be so thin and flimsy in the same thread where the OP features the list of critics it does.

You don't think that maybe the one might have something to do with the other?

Maybe?

DJChuy

Seems good to me. Guardians 1 set the bar too high, so if Vol 2 is almost as fun as Vol 1, then it should still be a blast.

The marketing & merchandise for this film are crazy. They have GotG Build-a-Bears, and my theaters have Groot popcorn buckets.

Both Logan and Deadpool can say that primarily because they feel so different from all other modern CBMs. That sense of freshness goes a long way.

Yup!

Shit, if the trifecta of Deadpool, Logan, and Legion are representative of the future of the X-Men franchise, then fuck me, I'm a fox fanboy now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

even as one of the biggest MCU stans on the board, i suspect Logan may be better than any of those movies

it's not due to the violent nature either, it's genuinely a pretty touching movie at times in terms of fatherhood

same with deadpool - there is a strong, unusual romantic streak underneath it all that really resonated with me

i will have to see how Logan stands up after watching it a second time when home releases drop

Yup!

Shit, if the trifecta of Deadpool, Logan, and Legion are representative of the future of the X-Men franchise, then fuck me, I'm a fox fanboy now.

i should start Legion tonight

I just don't understand propping up Logan like it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same things that made The Wolverine meh. Nevermind the fact it's just a slightly more violent version of a lot of other movies already occupying the genre, with the added benefit of having 12-year-old-just-learning-how-to-swear dialogue attached to it. I guess that makes grown men feel more secure about liking comic book characters so they wanna sing its praises, but it doesn't make for a classic western-wannabe, nor does it really separate it from the other movies it's trying so desperately to be different from. It just ends up feeling like it's ashamed of being based on a comic book character.

But I digress. Y'all love the movie and it's a masterpiece and yada yada yada. Weird, but, eh. What's a guy to do?

Sorry for dragging us off topic.

Prompto

Banned
Yup!

Unfortunately we still got a Simon Kinberg written and directed Dark Phoenix film coming. Fox just can't help but fuck something up despite all the recent success.

But yeah Deadpool, Logan, and Legion have all been great. Here's hoping New Mutants continues that trend.

AndersK

Yup!

Wait, Legion is good? As in actually good? Not just the first couple of episodes?

*googles*

Holy shit.

I liked Logan, I think seeing a competent Wolverine film surprised me more than anything. The scenes at the end didn't really have any impact on me though so I don't think it really got me invested like it meant to.

Also Iron Man 3 is bottom tier for super hero films.

Gotta admit, it's amusing that Deadpool makes anyone think Fox suddenly gets or cares for the X-Men now. Especially since Kinberg is involved. But by the time anyone realizes what's happening, I suspect everyone will have supported the film and guaranteed its continuation for another few years.

I hate this cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom