• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually when something incredible releases, the direct sequel goes in with the kind of momentum that at least takes a brief period of reflection to realize how mediocre it was. Only if it's pretty fucking terrible, or the original wasn't really that great to begin with would you get that fart in the wind effect before you've even left the theater. I'm going with the latter since it's predictable that this will generally be more of the same stuff.

Dude it has a 90%. There's only like a handful of people, if that, calling it mediocre

Dalek

After seeing the general disappointment at my screening and the spoiler OT, I fully expect it to go the other way to be honest. We'll see I guess, but I'll be surprised if it remains at 90% and doesn't drop like most RT early scores do. I really hope most enjoy it, but I also hope Disney fix the tonal and pacing problems in the next film; I predict that's going to be the general sentiment post-release.

Which spoiler OT would that be?

guek

Banned
Usually when something incredible releases, the direct sequel goes in with the kind of momentum that at least takes a brief period of reflection to realize how mediocre it was. Only if it's pretty fucking terrible, or the original wasn't really that great to begin with would you get that fart in the wind effect before you've even left the theater. I'm going with the latter since it's predictable that this will generally be more of the same stuff.
You can try to justify your God awful, pathetically hypocritical taste in movies however you want, it'll still read like nothing but salt. That's what happens when you lack the ability to recognize you're more invested in childish allegiances than actual quality.

Vanille

This movie has even more of a throwaway villain than the first? Yikes, that's quite the achievement. Ronan was abysmal.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Dude it has a 7.4 average score on Rottentomatoes. There's only like a handful of people, if that, calling it mediocre"

better?

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your point, but it was my understanding that a lot of reviews that deem a movie to be of only average quality are often counted as positive reviews by Rotten Tomatoes and are thus counted as "fresh" as opposed to "rotten". For example, a movie review that would give the movie only three stars out of a possible five would still be used as an example of a fresh review. As such those reviews that might come to feel the movie is mediocre, or average in quality, would be counted within the 90% of "positive" reviews.

CloudWolf

This movie has even more of a throwaway villain than the first? Yikes, that's quite the achievement. Ronan was abysmal.

At this point you would think it's a mandate by Marvel to make the villain as mediocre as possible, because in all the MCU there has been a total of one compelling villain and it was in the very first movie. Loki doesn't really count, since aside from The Avengers he was more of a sidekick than a main villain and in The Avengers he was miserable as villain.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your point, but it was my understanding that a lot of reviews that deem a movie to be of only average quality are often counted as positive reviews by Rotten Tomatoes and are thus counted as "fresh" as opposed to "rotten". For example, a movie review that would give the movie only three stars out of five would still be used as an example of a fresh review.

My experience is that it tends to skew the other way. A genuinely middle-of-the road review, such as a 2.5/5 or a 5/10 will more often than not be counted as rotten. Most critics upload their reviews themselves, and choose whether to have them counted as fresh or rotten. If the consensus was that most folks genuinely thought it's "mediocre" enough for it to not be worth watching, it wouldn't have a 90%, or a 7.4.

Blader

At this point you would think it's a mandate by Marvel to make the villain as mediocre as possible, because in all the MCU there has been a total of one compelling villain and it was in the very first movie. Loki doesn't really count, since aside from The Avengers he was more of a sidekick than a main villain and in The Avengers he was miserable as villain.

Loki was the main villain in the first Thor.

Jarmel

Banned

huh

The Abomination wasn't good.

Edit: I thought Hulk was first.

Iron Man 1's villain was terrible too.

At this point you would think it's a mandate by Marvel to make the villain as mediocre as possible, because in all the MCU there has been a total of one compelling villain and it was in the very first movie. Loki doesn't really count, since aside from the Avengers he was more of a sidekick than a main villain and in The Avengers he was miserable as villain.

I wanted to say Loki but you edited your post....
The Netflix and TV series have a lot of good villains too but i am fine with it not counting.
I guess winter soldier won't count for you too err? I think Justin Hammer , Alexander Pierce and Zemo are great too.

guek

Banned

Loki was great in Avenger! Most people remember him from that movie, not Thor.

All the cap movies have good villains as well

Raysoul

Just checked the last Marvel movies Metacritic score:

Ant-Man - 64%
Dr. Strange - 72%
Captain America: Civil War - 75%
Avengers: AOU - 66%
GotG 1 - 76%

GotG 2 has 70% with ‎13 votes. I think I'll enjoy this film.

BadAss2961

You can try to justify your God awful, pathetically hypocritical taste in movies however you want, it'll still read like nothing but salt. That's what happens when you lack the ability to recognize you're more invested in childish allegiances than actual quality.
Talk about salt... Tell me how you really feel, guek.

Jarmel

Banned
Iron Man was first.

Though I don't feel strongly about Jeff Bridges' character at all.

Yea I forgot. I can't even remember the name of the villain in IM1 other than that it was played Bridges.

Marvel really needs to do a better job on this front.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not even sure why you enter Marvel threads, BadAss296. All you do is troll them since you're a DC guy.

Some people do the same shit in DC threads and it's pathetic when they do it, too.

The villain in Avengers 2 (can't remember the name) was laughable.

jokkir

Blader

I don't disagree, but his name is in the title of the movie, my dude.

Age of somebody

The Netflix and TV series have a lot of good villains too but i am fine with it not counting.
I guess winter soldier won't count for you too err? I think Justin Hammer , Alexander Pierce and Zemo are great too.

Frankly, one of Redford's better performances in a long time. And a creepy inverse of his more famous idealist hero roles.

CloudWolf

Loki was great in Avenger! Most people remember him from that movie, not Thor.

All the cap movies have good villains as well

Zemo was okay-ish, I liked how his plan was this very personal thing and he didn't want to destroy the world or something. That said, his plan was way too convoluted and too focused on stuff you can't really predict to consider him a great villain.
How the hell was Zemo supposed to guess that Tony Stark would figure out Captain America was set up, follow him to the secret Soviet faculty and be prepared to forgive him so that Zemo could set the 'show Stark that Bucky killed his parents' part of his plan in motion?

I'm surprised you guys are even mentioning Robert Redford as a good villain.

Iron Man was first.

Though I don't feel strongly about Jeff Bridges' character at all.
Yeah, I don't know, maybe if I rewatch Iron Man, I won't like Bridges' character, but I just remember enjoying him as a villain, which is more than I can say for the other Marvel main villains.

guek

Banned
Age of somebody

Adaline?

Zemo was okay-ish, I liked how his plan was this very personal thing and he didn't want to destroy the world or something. That said, his plan was way too convoluted and too focused on stuff you can't really predict to consider him a great villain.
How the hell was he supposed to guess that Tony Stark would figure out Captain America was set up, follow him to the secret Soviet faculty and be prepared to forgive him so that Zemo could set the 'show Stark that Bucky killed his parents' part of his plan in motion?

To be fair, I'm counting Steve and Tony as villains in Cap 3 as well :p

What was wrong with Redford?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How the hell was he supposed to guess that Tony Stark would figure out Captain America was set up, follow him to the secret Soviet faculty and be prepared to forgive him so that he could set the 'show Stark that Bucky killed his parents' part of his plan in motion?

Zemo leaves the body in the hotel room bathroom & then calls the front desk and asks for his regular breakfast to be delivered.

Same average rating as Civil War so far? Whats the problemo? Another "90%"-er A-grade Marvel movie shouldnt get this sort of thread unless people with agendas and biases are taking over!

Gonna see in the 3D, but I wont spend money on it. Made that mistake with the first one

Plumbob

Same average rating as Civil War so far? Whats the problemo? Another "90%"-er A-grade Marvel movie shouldnt get this sort of thread unless people with agendas and biases are taking over!

Gonna see in the 3D, but I wont spend money on it. Made that mistake with the first one

Rotten Tomatoes scores tend to move closer to the mean over time

eg Civil War's scores were much higher than where they ended up, you can expect the same for this movie

Raguel

I did. You're a joke.
He's one of the most annoying fanboy posters next to the two or three other smucks, forgot their name. They always whine and bitch about films they don't enjoy as if their opinions are revolutionary insights that people fail to understand. Always stirring shit up but the delicious taste of their salt is just too fun to not enjoy.

Anyways, I'm not surprised about the reactions. The second trailer didn't pull me in and it felt more of the same from the first which may be a good thing or bad. Some of the jokes in the trailer did feel off and flat. But I'm still excited to watch it.

I am a fan of all films and it's a shame that people here just likes to go around and shit on other people's enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom