• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
In its defense, it's hard to make a good comedy sequel. From what I hear, that's what's most liked about the first, and vol 2 is at best spinning its wheels on that front. But the adventure parts are still fun and the action is decent this time.

I already filled some hackysacks, wanna kick em around?

CaliforniaGames_Ani2.gif

J_Viper

I'll never get the Bridges hate in IM1. He was solid.

Roth was lame in Hulk, but the Hulk v Abom confrontation is still one of the best final act scenes in the MCU. I'd say it's second behind Civil War's final brawl.

Fuckin' Gamespot, Schmoes, IGN and Jeremy Jahns, huh?

You're not collecting reviews you're filling a beanbag.

Holy shit lmao

brawly

Kinda surreal to see Mr Sunday Movies listed. Been listening to the Weekly Planet for a long time.

I'm usually in line with him, so I'm definitely gonna watch it. Any Weekly Wackadadoos here?

Marvel has great villains. They just don't have the rights to use most of them.

It's not about the characters themselves but about how they're written. Sure, I'd love to see Doom in the MCU but a villain like Ronan could have been just as good if handled properly.

Bronx-Man

Banned
This reminds me that I'm like the only guy alive that thought Yellowjacket was a pretty good villain. Though that's more Corey Stoll's performance than the actual writing for him.

Dalek

This reminds me that I'm like the only guy alive that thought Yellowjacket was a pretty good villain. Though that's more Corey Stoll's performance than the actual writing for him.

I thought he was great. Cold blooded when he flushed that guy down the toilet.

I have nothing against Bridges since I'm not a monster but yeah, I didn't care for Stane. He was serviceable but the evil CEO fatherly figure thing was a little bit too boring and predictable.

Aside from the Netflix villains, I like Loki, Zemo, Red Skull and... Abomination, kinda? Mostly because of Tim Roth. Haven't made it through Strange yet so I can't comment on Mikkelsen.

Kickz

The overall message from the reviews I have seen seems to be pacing issues and overall sense of it was okay and not anything great like the first one.

I will wait for this on Blu-ray

He's one of the most annoying fanboy posters next to the two or three other smucks, forgot their name. They always whine and bitch about films they don't enjoy as if their opinions are revolutionary insights that people fail to understand. Always stirring shit up but the delicious taste of their salt is just too fun to not enjoy.

Plenty of them pop up in all X-MEN movie related threads as well, gets very tiring.

CloudWolf

I have nothing against Bridges since I'm not a monster but yeah, I didn't care for Stane. He was serviceable but the evil CEO fatherly figure thing was a little bit too boring and predictable.

Aside from the Netflix villains, I like Loki, Zemo, Red Skull and... Abomination, kinda? Mostly because of Tim Roth. Haven't made it through Strange yet so I can't comment on Mikkelsen.

Mikkelsen is probably the weakest Marvel villain so far. He's just there for decoration, he has maybe one interesting scene,
the New York chase
. In fact, his big climactic villain moment is literally skipped over,
Dr. Strange arrives too late and the viewer only sees the aftermath of Mikkelsen's attack
. It was actually kinda amazing how they got such a great actor and proceeded to do absolutely nothing with him.

CloudWolf

On Metaciritc, yes.

I personally think Metacritic is terrible for movies. Age of Ultron is at 66 while the original Avengers is at 69.

That's legitimately insane to me.

That's the difference between game and movie review scores. A 69 average for a game is on the low-end of the spectrum, a 69 average for a film is pretty good. 80+ averages are usually for exceptionally good films, 90+ films are pretty much only films that are truly exceptional and end up in not only 'best of [year]'-lists, but 'best of [decade]' lists.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing. Age of Ultron should be like a 30 tbh considering some of the other movies that have been in that range (some of which are undeserved imo). And 69 indicates "pretty decent blockbuster" on that site.

Don't always agree with metacritic of course but I think it's a much better aggregate for film reviews. Using the actual scores as the main aggregate as opposed to just "yes or no"

Plus its more selective about who gets in too

Mikkelsen is probably the weakest Marvel villain so far. He's just there for decoration, he has maybe one interesting scene,
the New York chase
. In fact, his big climactic villain moment is literally skipped over,
Dr. Strange arrives too late and the viewer only sees the aftermath of Mikkelsen's attack
. It was actually kinda amazing how they got such a great actor and proceeded to do absolutely nothing with him.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had heard. That's too bad, Mikkelsen can be such a perfect movie villain.

Meanwhile, at DC...

Aquaman will bring peace and redemption to all.
Let's hope.

guek

Banned
Wait, OG Guardians only has a 76?

Lol, bet I'll love this.

On Metaciritc, yes.

I personally think Metacritic is terrible for movies. Age of Ultron is at 66 while the original Avengers is at 69.

That's legitimately insane to me.

MC is weird in that their movie reviews aren't comparable to their game or music reviews because the enthusiast press is different for all 3 mediums. Just like with RT, you have to learn to interpret the reviews. MC is always much closer to the RT average score than it is the RT%

Not

Banned
Uh-oh

Well, I'm still excited. So the novelty factor is gone, should be a fun time. As long as it's not Iron Man 2 levels of Avengers prep.

Nah, everyone's expecting Justice League to suck. The BvS thread was so big because we all thought this was gonna be the movie that WB finally gets right, only for it to be the complete opposite of that.

?

I didn't think that. I didn't like any of the trailers. Did any of the early screening even generate positive word of mouth?

Thewonandonly

If we want to talk about best movie I'd say winter soldier. Even though the third act isn't all that good. But none of them have a good third act honestly. Actually a better lis would be finding the best third acts in the MCU. If we were doing that I'd say Civil War probably has the best one.
Civil war or doctor strange I would have to say. I just really like the battle when everything is getting fixed and stuff, plus "I'm here to make a bargain" is just great.

I couldn't possibly roll my eyes any harder at the idea that Logan did anything approximating saving the year in comic films, much less the genre.

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom