• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Iron Man 3 is the only Marvel film that is anything better than average as fuck

I'll always defend Iron Man 3. It's a top tier MCU movie.

But the original Avengers, Guardains, Civil War and freaking Winter Soldier are absolutely better than "average as fuck."

Logan has some incredibly high highs and some very low lows. It's a very uneven movie. The cursing felt forced as hell and the violence lost its impact after the first few slashes.

I like it but it doesn't make my top 10.

Imma agree with everything here. Best X-Men movie..no doubt.

Logan has some incredibly high highs and some very low lows. It's a very uneven movie. The cursing felt forced as hell and the violence lost its impact after the first few slashes.

I like it but it doesn't make my top 10.

This is a kinder, less impassioned view of where I'm at with it.

guek

Banned
85%
47 Reviews, 40+, 7-
7.2/10 avg rating

MC of 70 based on 13 reviews

I think it's gonna keep going down but stay in the 80s for RT. That's a let down but only because expectations were so high. I hope the MC comes up a little. Anything in the 70s would be OK.

Solid reviews. I figured it would score a bit lower than the first film due to reviews feeling it's "too familiar" but it's slightly under what I thought.

Still plenty good, especially for a summer blockbuster type flick. Can't wait should be a lot of fun

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm not trying to be a jerk but the "cursing felt forced and violence lost its impact" stuff is hard to take seriously.

I mean, there are many Wolverine comics that dive into how violent he is and how much he curses. Yes, the cursing is usually censored in the comics obviously but Logan is incredibly true to character.

Maybe you personally don't like that amount of violence but it makes sense for his character and for this movie.

I had a couple minor gripes with the movie, such as how the Big Bad went out at the end as I felt that
the way the kids killed him felt anticlimactic even though it shouldn't have.
But to have an issue with the violence or language? I don't get that one.

watership

It didn't really work for me. I didn't like Logan's characterization.

Logan only works if you don't think too hard about the past of the characters. Because it won't make any sense. The x-men timeline is "we don't care lol" so if you try and link pathos and sorrow to anything specific, it will fall apart. Taken as a bubble story, it's a good little movie. The popularity impact comes from the fact that it's a Wolverine movie that's not terrible.

Logan only works if you don't think too hard about the past of the characters. Because it won't make any sense. The x-men timeline is "we don't care lol" so if you try and link pathos and sorrow to anything specific, it will fall apart. Taken as a bubble story, it's a good little movie. The popularity impact comes from the fact that it's a Wolverine movie that's not terrible.

It would be easier to think of it as it's own thing if it didn't directly reference the old movies. It wants to have it both ways.

Theecliff

Banned
It would be easier to think of it as it's own thing if it didn't directly reference the old movies. It wants to have it both ways.
... but it's references to the old films were literally to imply that in the universe of logan the past adventures were either largely made up or exaggerated in order to sell stories. i mean that was the whole point of the comic books - logan repeatedly says stuff like 'that's not how it happened' and 'real life isn't like these comics' when referring to the stories that laura reads. everyone's image and expectations of logan in the film before they meet him were based on the fictional version of the character. in that way you can either see logan as the 'real' representation of the x-men universe or it's own seperate thing. personally i thought it worked well as it allowed the film to have a tone and explore themes that directly following on from the rest of the series may not have allowed, whilst the comic book motif was a cool way to work around that.

... but it's references to the old films were literally to imply that in the universe of logan the past adventures were either largely made up or exaggerated in order to sell stories. i mean that was the whole point of the comic books - logan repeatedly says stuff like 'that's not how it happened' and 'real life isn't like these comics' when referring to the stories that laura reads. everyone's image and expectations of logan in the film before they meet him were based on the fictional version of the character. in that way you can either see logan as the 'real' representation of the x-men universe or it's own seperate thing. personally i thought it worked well as it allowed the film to have a tone and explore themes that directly following on from the rest of the series may not have allowed, whilst the comic book motif was a cool way to work around that.

I'm talking about the Statue of Liberty line, which comes from Prof X not a comic book. The Statue of Liberty line is directly referencing the first X-Men movie. The comic books all appeared to be made up stories that didn't happen in previous X-Men movies.

Prompto

Banned
I'm talking about the Statue of Liberty line, which comes from Prof X not a comic book. The Statue of Liberty line is directly referencing the first X-Men movie. The comic books all appeared to be made up stories that didn't happen in previous X-Men movies.
And what's the problem with that one line?

Theecliff

Banned
i'm not saying that the events of the past films didn't take place, just that the film argues that the way they were represented in media previously wasn't how they went actually down in the universe that logan exists. it implies the series past events were represented very much like how they are in the comics that litter the film.

TheFlow

Banned
Huge comic book fan but even I am becoming annoyed at everyone feeling the need to rank marvel movies and etc.

Becomes less about enjoying the movie and more about breaking down a movie to fit your argument.

I hope this sequel delivers. My only gripe with it so far is not making groot grow faster

I'm not trying to be a jerk but the "cursing felt forced and violence lost its impact" stuff is hard to take seriously.

I mean, there are many Wolverine comics that dive into how violent he is and how much he curses. Yes, the cursing is usually censored in the comics obviously but Logan is incredibly true to character.

Maybe you personally don't like that amount of violence but it makes sense for his character and for this movie.

I had a couple minor gripes with the movie, such as how the Big Bad went out at the end as I felt that
the way the kids killed him felt anticlimactic even though it shouldn't have.
But to have an issue with the violence or language? I don't get that one.

The violence was fine. The cursing read like it was written into the script by a 12 year old who'd just watched Reservoir Dogs for the first time.

Cursing's fine, but they got the R rating and really went all in on the F bombs.

TheFlow

Banned
I also have to echo the Logan viewpoint. Great comic book movie but I wouldn't want to watch it repeatedly like I do other marvel/DC based films

I'm still not following. How does that make the film any worse?

Because like watership said the movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you look at in relation to the old X-Men movies but on the other hand the movie doesn't work as a standalone movie. The entire point of the movie is that it's the farewell to the Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart characters. You can't divorce it from 17 years worth of context.

CloudWolf

Gotta admit, it's amusing that Deadpool makes anyone think Fox suddenly gets or cares for the X-Men now. Especially since Kinberg is involved. But by the time anyone realizes what's happening, I suspect everyone will have supported the film and guaranteed its continuation for another few years.

I hate this cycle.
Fox is weird. On one hand you have stuff like Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan and Legion, which are some of the best comic book-based media out there. But at the same time they also constantly release stuff like Apocalypse, X-Men Origins and Fantastic Four which showcase everything you shouldn't do when adapting comic book storylines.

Jumeira

Banned
While I'm so bored of the Marvel formula, GoG was great fun. I'm not expecting part 2 to be stellar like Logan, but I'm glad it hasn't fell victim to the comic sequel curse.

Got my tickets booked, i usually groan having to sit through these films with my friends, not with this one!

7.2 makes me think middle of the pack marvel movie, then again strange hit around there and I loved it, best mcu film since guardians, though I'm more visual oriented then story/acting/jokes.

Definitely still going to see it opening weekend,.

Sir Doom

Post Phase-1, the only Bluray I've owned are Guardians and Civil War. Deadpool (non-MCU)
The rest are good just one viewing same with the new Star Wars

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Fox doesn't care about continuity like at all. Don't understand why some people are still complaining about it.

Fox is weird. On one hand you have stuff like Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan and Legion, which are some of the best comic book-based media out there. But at the same time they also constantly release stuff like Apocalypse, X-Men Origins and Fantastic Four which showcase everything you shouldn't do when adapting comic book storylines.

To be fair that's a major studio at work, there's gonna be some hits and misses, though Fan4stic was a HUGE misstep.

guek

Banned
Up to 86%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anigif_enhanced-593-1416180332-1.gif

Cipherr

At this point I think it's pretty clear that Fox doesn't care about continuity like at all. Don't understand why some people are still complaining about it.

Because it effects the viewer... Its terrible, the worst of all the studios doing superhero movies right now. These dudes backtrack, undo and erase their own damn continuity like crazy. If Marvels humor and WB's writing is up for criticism then Fox is just gonna have to hold that L.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Because it effects the viewer... Its terrible, the worst of all the studios doing superhero movies right now. These dudes backtrack, undo and erase their own damn continuity like crazy. If Marvels humor and WB's writing is up for criticism then Fox is just gonna have to hold that L.

Does it really matter though? The continuity between Logan and movies that came out almost 20 years ago...I don't know if anyone actually cares. I think not telling a story because you're beholden to the timeline of films that came out 5, 10, 15 years ago would be the bigger tragedy. My only complaint in that regard is they try to have their cake and eat it too, still mixing old and new. But Logan is a bit a of baton pass film so that era might finally be over.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The violence was fine. The cursing read like it was written into the script by a 12 year old who'd just watched Reservoir Dogs for the first time.

Cursing's fine, but they got the R rating and really went all in on the F bombs.

It wasn't nearly as bad as you're painting it to be.

Does it really matter though? The continuity between Logan and movies that came out almost 20 years ago...I don't know if anyone actually cares. I think not telling a story because you're beholden to the timeline of films that came out 5, 10, 15 years ago would be the bigger tragedy. My only complaint in that regard is they try to have their cake and eat it too, still mixing old and new. But Logan is a bit a of baton pass film so that era might finally be over.

I mean, Marvel has built their entire empire on tight comic book like continuity so I think people do care. Some people at least. Enough to make a difference.

And if we are going to go even deeper, one of the things that made the X-Men comics popular was their continuity. They aren't exactly like Batman comics where they work fine if every comic is a separate adventure, they thrive on complex interlocking relationships that continue issue after issue.

Cipherr

Does it really matter though? The continuity between Logan and movies that came out almost 20 years ago...I don't know if anyone actually cares.

I don't really know how to respond to this in a thread where people have literally made the effort to explicitly mention it man.

Yes, people really do care. I think people care more now that stuff like the MCU and DCEU are around and literally thrive on some form of continuity between the films in a shared universe. Its sort of at the forefront of everyone's minds these days.

Now had they just recast it all (including logan) and relaunch a Cinematic Universe after X-3, and then STUCK with continuity from then on, then maaaaaybe.... But they probably got cold feet at First Class because Hugh is such a box office draw.

That's on them though, they made the choice. Gotta live with the criticism afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom