• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review Round-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron

Do you ever not troll Marvel threads? I mean you basically admitted to it in the DCEY thread recently.

There is literally no logic to what you just said.
He can't help himself.

You should also mention Lebron James for some giggles too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Anyway, movie sounds great. It was always going to be hard to live up to the first film because of the impact it had and that seems to be the main sticking point.

Dalek

90% on RT eh? I'm waiting for the tone of this thread to change from "I knew this would suck!" to "looks like the checks cleared"!

dabig2

Nah. I don't see it. Justice League is where its at. BvS might be might a top 5 gaf thread in the boards lifetime. Wondy isn't enough of an event if you ask me.

Not as much an event, really no expectations beyond hoping it's serviceable, nor does the director have the history and fame of the "visionary" Snyder.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think any movie thread will ever compare to BvS', ever.

Unless like Infinity War sucks.

I can't imagine that would hugely surprise people, given how absurdly jam-packed that film is going to be. Balancing all those characters appropriately at a narrative level is going to be one hell of a feat.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Maybe the Justice League thread if it ends up being as bad/good as BvS.
Nah, everyone's expecting Justice League to suck. The BvS thread was so big because we all thought this was gonna be the movie that WB finally gets right, only for it to be the complete opposite of that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
actually, this is sounding perfect

a little less 'fun', a little more focus on developing the characters

Servbot24

Banned
Comicbook.com: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a strong follow up to the spectacle that is its predecessor. The lack of focus in its second act doesn't stop Vol. 2 from being a worthy follow-up loaded with surprisingly delightful performances, moving character moments, and action sequences which can please even the biggest comic book fans' imaginations.

5 of out 5 stars.

"This movie has a lot of things in it. 5/5"

I've not seen the movie, this quote is just funny and sad at the same time.

LosDaddie

Banned
From the people in the FB Omnibus group I'm in that have already watched GotG 2, they said there's plenty of Marvel Cosmic mentions.

More universe-building was what I wanted most from this movie, and it seems as if that's the case. So I'm good.

Do you ever not troll Marvel threads? I mean you basically admitted to it in the DCEU thread recently.

There is literally no logic to what you just said.

There's a handful of faithful anti-MCU/DC-GAF posters in every thread. You just come to expect it.

Everyone else just wants good movies from MCU and DCEU.

Kalentan

I don't know which will be better, the WW one or the Justice League one,
specially if it gets a lower RT than BvS

The Justice League one could be even worse if just for one simple fact...

Thor Ragnarok. Seriously, that thread is going to be crazy if Thor Ragnarok hits it out of the park and then if Justice League does bad.

Honestly makes me wonder what the BvS thread would have been like had Civil War come out first.

BadAss2961

I've read that post 6 times and still don't know what he's actually trying to argue.
Usually when something incredible releases, the direct sequel goes in with the kind of momentum that at least takes a brief period of reflection to realize how mediocre it was. Only if it's pretty fucking terrible, or the original wasn't really that great to begin with would you get that fart in the wind effect before you've even left the theater. I'm going with the latter since it's predictable that this will generally be more of the same stuff.

guek

Banned
90% on Rotten Tomatoes. So a slight drop in quality, but not as big as Avengers to Age of Ultron.
70 MC though, though a lot of reviews are yet to post. The first got a 76 for comparison. I'm hoping it settles at 73-75 but it could go down too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Usually when something incredible releases, the direct sequel goes in with the kind of momentum that at least takes a brief period of reflection to realize how mediocre it was. Only if it's pretty fucking terrible, or the original wasn't really that great to begin with would you get that fart in the wind effect before you've even left the theater. I'm going with the latter since it's predictable that this will generally be more of the same stuff.

No, that makes absolutely no sense.

But you also just said in the DCEU thread that Suicide Squad making as much money as Civil War on Blu-ray means that, clearly, more people liked Suicide Squad than Civil War.

So your logic is kind of all over the place in general.

Alienfan

90% on RT eh? I'm waiting for the tone of this thread to change from "I knew this would suck!" to "looks like the checks cleared"!

After seeing the general disappointment at my screening and the spoiler OT, I fully expect it to go the other way to be honest. We'll see I guess, but I'll be surprised if it remains at 90% and doesn't drop like most RT early scores do. I really hope most enjoy it, but I also hope Disney fix the tonal and pacing problems in the next film; I predict that's going to be the general sentiment post-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom