• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Gunblade47

Neo Member
I've casually messed around with this game in the past year and while I had heart of thorns I never made it beyond lvl 21 because something just didnt click with me (think it's mostly down to me being indecisive over my class).

I picked up the latest expac and now have 2 lvl 80 boosts that I don't want to use because I think Ill be lost if I'm not eased into the later content.

If I do use my boost will the mounts be added to my other alts too or would I only get them at 80 too? Asking because I saw a level 3 character running around on their griffon but forgot to check if they were just synced down.

Other than that I'm definitely gonna settle on leveling a mesmer instead of my necromancer! Err, maybe, possibly... But that elementalist tho.

Random guy who's always been interested in this game here. I've always wanted to try it out but I don't know what my options are or even if it's the game for me.

When it comes to MMOs I've only played TOR, FFXIV ARR, and a couple of hours of Wow.

Sorry! Just wondering if its a game that someone can quickly jump in and get accostumed to or is it a more difficult challenge.

Base game is not bad when it comes to difficulty.

Heart of Thorns expansion is "git gud or die trying" mode.

Path of Fire from what I've played so far isn't as difficult which a lot of people seem to like.

Some classes are more straight forward than others. I don't have a lot of experience with Warriors but they seem to be the easiest to use with the highest base health IIRC while Thieves have the lowest HP for example so they are less forgiving when it comes to making mistakes.

- keyboard turning is terrible.
It sure is. It's why I love action cam so much. Frees up that RMB for other things and allows you to place your ranged attacks manually. (but you can still have automatic targeting on)

Sorry! Just wondering if its a game that someone can quickly jump in and get accostumed to or is it a more difficult challenge.
Warrior is a class that is easy to play, difficult to master. Necromancer is somewhat similar.

None of the medium armor classes are particularly noob friendly, although thief is fun if you like being twitchy.

Ashodin

Noisy Ninj4 if you believe it people on Reddit say that Action cam actually makes you lose DPS and is terrible and should never be used because not having the mouse free can be terrible

Also these people are ranting about the loss of 2K DPS for no reason

Basically don't listen to reddit.

Violet_0

Banned
my two main characters both have almost 100% of Maguuma, just missing 30% XP for gliding 5. I feel like I should get PoE soon, especially because I get constantly shamed for having no mount :p

Jira

We need the OST on soundcloud. Every track is a standout in its own right. Hell, vistas even get their own music.

Why is it that the desert expansion gets the coolest mountain terrain to date? All shrouded in mist layers until you get to the top and then a sweet looking ruin complete with waterfalls.

nataku

Huh, guess I won't be getting my character name back from the POF beta since ANet just closed my ticket without comment. That's really disappointing when all I hear about is how good their support is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, there really is no way to get Viper exotic. Ascended really is the way to go. So Magi is the cheapest to craft?

Wanderer5

Just went through the first part of act 3, getting
killed lol. And I didn't had much issues with the Eater of Souls after a bit, who I just ended up kiting and grenade spamming at, even if it went kind of long.

I guessing that Joko is going to be a threat after Balthazar is defeated (LS4?).

Rogan

Banned
I bought and mostly skipped everything in the HoT maps. I hated the design of the multiple layers. Its hard to get a grip if you don't know whats going on.

But I think my MMO itch is back and I still have many mastery points and collections left. Where do I start? Story?

Jira

I bought and mostly skipped everything in the HoT maps. I hated the design of the multiple layers. Its hard to get a grip if you don't know whats going on.

But I think my MMO itch is back and I still have many mastery points and collections left. Where do I start? Story?

Did you finish the HoT story?

Ashodin

oh my god the desert highlands

I unlocked the springer

now everything is open to me

Has anyone here tried raiding with the new elite specializations?

We're actually going to have a GAF Guild Raid of Bastion of the Penitent on Oct 1st. New specs welcome.

zonq

Haven't touched the game since Vanilla, where I was disappointed by the WvW battled (that were mostly button mashing, zerging in clumps and lagfests.... and skills felt so unresponsive). Played it for a few weeks and haven't touched it since. Was so uninterested, that I didn't even know of this Addon at all!

I really liked the last WoW addon to which I always return for 2-3 months after each addon release. Has much changed since release? I've read nothing but the OP, which says there's a bunch of stuff changed. Is there a video/summary for people who havent' touched the game since launch?

spiritfox

Viper's, in general, would be too expensive to aim for anything but exotic.

Why are you spending so much money just to make exos when you can spend a bit more to get the ascended. Plus you can just stat switch your existing ascended to Viper's if you have extras.

Sonicbug

I really liked the last WoW addon to which I always return for 2-3 months after each addon release. Has much changed since release? I've read nothing but the OP, which says there's a bunch of stuff changed. Is there a video/summary for people who haven't' touched the game since launch?

There are videos up on youtube from streamers who have done returning player updates. There are also a few fanmade 'the story so far' videos up as well, which is sort of necessary for all of the living world season 1 stuff. (Which all happened in real time and isn't replayable.)

Stuart444

Why are you spending so much money just to make exos when you can spend a bit more to get the ascended. Plus you can just stat switch your existing ascended to Viper's if you have extras.

Don't understand this sentiment. Looking it up on GW2E, comparing a piece of both magi and Viper light head armour, it's 44 gold for the magi piece (and more to stat change it) and 14 for the Viper piece

That's quite a bit more expensive.

Boss Doggie

Don't understand this sentiment. Looking it up on GW2E, comparing a piece of both magi and Viper light head armour, it's 44 gold for the magi piece (and more to stat change it) and 14 for the Viper piece

they didn't count insignia because it's account bound, it's actually expensive

spiritfox

??

I don't get you. I wasn't even talking about Magi.

Boss Doggie

You mean the Viper's Intricate Gossamer insignia? It's listed and says 14g total.

On hindsight I have mats to craft a complete set of vipers exotic, so I guess there's that.

I thought they made recipe learning account bound? I was sure I have viper set learned.

Stuart444

DKvtoQwWsAAmeOf.jpg:orig

Going around for my Griffon Collection.... this happened.

edit: happened again when I hit 1 in mid-air and it persisted after a waypoint:

Izayoi

Banned
Does someone have a good guide on how endgame gearing/progression works? I have always been hesitant to really give this an honest shot because everyone always says there is no endgame progression/gear treadmill, but that's the kind of thing I actually like in my MMOs. :lol

Massicot

So does the previous expansion go free?

It's not. It's 20 dollars.

Does someone have a good guide on how endgame gearing/progression works? I have always been hesitant to really give this an honest shot because everyone always says there is no endgame progression/gear treadmill, but that's the kind of thing I actually like in my MMOs. :lol

Gear at 80 is tiered. It's basically either exotic or ascended. Endgame gearing is basically about getting ascended gear of the stat-set you want.

Stuart444

The hardest part about getting the griffon egg in the Branded area of the Oasis... is all the damned lag. I'm getting so much more lag now than I usually do. ;_:

edit: I also wish you could buy Teleport to friends :/

edit 2: two hearts and just the eggs for the collections now :D.

I also have level 3 on my four main mounts currently. So much quicker to master than the HoT ones.

cyress8

Banned
It's not. It's 20 dollars.

Gear at 80 is tiered. It's basically either exotic or ascended. Endgame gearing is basically about getting ascended gear of the stat-set you want.
Don't forget about legendary armor. If you want a WoW type of gear grind, then going for this armor would be your best option.

Stuart444

Just did the Heart in the Academy in Vabbi, pretty unique since it mostly wasn't about killing. It was about
Educating the kids and trying to get them to realize that they have been lied to about Joko. They don't believe it was us that killed Zhaitan >_<

SourBear

Banned
So I took some vacation for the launch and went pretty hard no-life on the content and got a lot done. Finished the story, got map completion, finish Holosmith elite spec and the ascended weapon. And got the
griffon mount
as well.

I'm loving the expansion. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of bounties, starting raids, and finishing up the plethora of collections.

I was thinking of getting another character's elite specs done but I'm torn between Weaver and Firebrand. How is everyone enjoying those two?

Ashodin

You're also describing Tempest in a way :p

Well sorta.

The ideal rotation for my build right now is pretty satisfying. I enter combat with Raptor engage (to pull enemies together) dropping Symbol of Wrath (4), Leap of Faith (3) for Light Aura (hoping to proc Retal), use Whirling Wrath (2) for spin to win damage. During this I pop two charges of Mantra of Potence, generating Might and Quickness (typically I'll get 25 might on my own), pop Feel My Wrath! to stack Quickness + Fury, then drop into Tome of Justice, pop Epilogue (5), Scorched Aftermath (4), Igniting Burst (2), then spam Searing Spell (1) until I drop out of the Tome, where my Greatsword skills are back. It's satisfying.

Top Bottom