• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Massicot

So I took some vacation for the launch and went pretty hard no-life on the content and got a lot done. Finished the story, got map completion, finish Holosmith elite spec and the ascended weapon. And got the
griffon mount
as well.

I'm loving the expansion. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of bounties, starting raids, and finishing up the plethora of collections.

I was thinking of getting another character's elite specs done but I'm torn between Weaver and Firebrand. How is everyone enjoying those two?

How did you get the Spearmarshal weapon for the collection?

Ashodin

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed an edge case that caused "The Sacrifice" to stall if a player completed everything and then called Taimi outside of the highlands. If you are in this state, the quest should repair itself upon returning to highlands or calling Taimi again.
  • Fixed an issue that blocked the Nevermore legendary staff collection in Dragon's Stand.
  • Guardian—Unrelenting Criticism: Fixed a bug with this trait that was granting its bleeding chance to non-axe weapons.
  • Fixed an issue with the stats available to certain banners. These items now can choose from all Path of Fire stat combos, and have been set to the appropriate level. If a character less than level 80 was using one of these, it has been placed in your inventory.
  • Ranger—Soulbeast: Fixed a bug that caused a ranger using the Beastmode skill to leave that mode when upleveling or downleveling due to zoning.
  • Fixed a bug that caused enemies in stealth to reappear in their original location when leaving stealth.
  • Fixed a bug in which exotic-quality named Mordant weapons could not be equipped.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented players from progressing the Insect Slayer achievement.
  • Weaver: Fixed a bug that caused the elementalist's off-hand attunement to disappear when dismounting.
  • Fixed a bug with the purchase price of replacements for Garden of the Gods, Book of Vlast, The Legacy, Intelligence Report: Palawa Joko I., and Order of Whispers mission dispatches.
  • Blessings acquired from Elisa in pursuit of the Recitation of the Litany of Deeds can now properly be consumed for trade contracts.
  • Fixed an issue with the recipe for the Harrier's Warbeast Vambraces, which should now create the appropriate item.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause certain mounts to unexpectedly dismount the player when their engage skill was used.
  • Elon Riverlands: Fixed a bug that caused Foreman Erran to continuously try to destroy the Deadhouse gate. Second Spear Olishar has been adjusted to reliably respawn to aid in events.
  • Fixed a server crash.

Sophia

Noisy Ninj4 if you believe it people on Reddit say that Action cam actually makes you lose DPS and is terrible and should never be used because not having the mouse free can be terrible

Also these people are ranting about the loss of 2K DPS for no reason

Basically don't listen to reddit.

Action Camera does make you lose DPS slightly, but this is due to the fact that the auto attack that's on the mouse is... wonky. You can mitigate this by using your standard keybind ("1") to initiate auto attack instead of left clicking.

I was looking at NightFall map PoF covers about that much of NF, gonna have to do a better comparison....
Click on it to see my outline..
gw023cusp9.jpg

Ashodin

Action Camera does make you lose DPS slightly, but this is due to the fact that the auto attack that's on the mouse is... wonky. You can mitigate this by using your standard keybind ("1") to initiate auto attack instead of left clicking.

Regardless, the outcry about it is too loud for something so small.

Stuart444

I was looking at NightFall map PoF covers about that much of NF, gonna have to do a better comparison....
Click on it to see my outline..

Looks about right but it's all the way down to Istan in the .dat even if it's not visible currently. Hopefully that means we get Kourna and Istan at some point

Sophia

Regardless, the outcry about it is too loud for something so small.

I do think there should be outcry about it, but it should be directed at ArenaNet to fix it, not at players for using it. It has some really valid uses (especially for controller usage), so there's really no excuse for some of the bugs that it has. >.<;

Ashodin

I do think there should be outcry about it, but it should be directed at ArenaNet to fix it, not at players for using it. It has some really valid uses (especially for controller usage), so there's really no excuse for some of the bugs that it has. >.<;

Unfortunately, it was made by one person, and the bugs it has are likely to stay just that.

Finally, no mas, no mas. This was only possible because a treasure mushroom dropped invisible shoes for me one day. I never want to see elder wood logs ever again.

IYccsUB.jpg

6CY17UR.jpg

Pistol/Pistol Deadeye seems to be really good for open world stuff.

You deal a ton of damage very quickly with the Quickness on Mark trait plus you retain your mobility at all times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what's a good utility set for damage/burn firebrand

so far I have that mantra with fire and spirit sword (since I have the spirit weapon burn trait)

I need one more and a suggestion for the elite, right now I'm using Feel My Wrath but maybe I can do better

I'm probably thinking of the meditation that removes conditions, but if torch 5 can remove my own condis then I'll change it

So what's a good utility set for damage/burn firebrand

so far I have that mantra with fire and spirit sword (since I have the spirit weapon burn trait)

I need one more and a suggestion for the elite, right now I'm using Feel My Wrath but maybe I can do better

I'm probably thinking of the meditation that removes conditions, but if torch 5 can remove my own condis then I'll change it

Right now they're running the mantra heal, Mantra of Flame, Mantra of Potence for Quickness, the signet that adds condition damage and Renewed Focus.

With Balthazar Runes, you burn when you heal. Mantra of Flame is more burn. With the Quickfire trait you provide Ashes of the Just to you and all the allies when you provide quickness to which is more burn. Renewed Focus for the elite which resets the cool downs of you F1 Tome skill for more burn. Yes, with Firebrand Renewed Focus is a DPS increase. That's how crazy powerful the F1 tome is.

The signet can get switched out with a utility that provides Stability or CC as needed.

Massicot

I played firebrand cold with no practice and was easily top DPS in a raid today. It's gonna see the hammer soon for sure.

Did a sub 5 minutes Arkk with a Firebrand and a Soulbeast too. Some of the DPS these new roles can do is crazy.

As far as I can tell though, Druids and Chronos are here to stay however. For instance that fractal group was still with the core Druid/Chrono/CPS Berserker. Maybe I'm just not creative enough but that's going to be a really tough thing to wedge apart without some big changes.

Maledict

I’m going to have to swap back to my Mesmer. Tried to like the thief, and really liked the feel of dual pistols, but the class just feels fragile as hell and I’m not fast / experienced enough to play it properly it seems. Relying entirely on dodging ultra fast visual clues in combat gets old very fast, as does chain dying through content.

Just a heads up for anyone who key farms... The step where you go to the hospital is currently bugged. There is an invisible wall that stops you from entering the building and blocks LoS so you have to have a pet, or summons, or hope you can bug through wall. Might be better to choose the orphanage until it is fixed.

Baleoce

What's the mount gameplay like in this new expansion? Anything I should know? I'm very tempted after seeing those reddit gifs of their animation. So much personality in them. Can you use mounts in old areas? Can they fly? Is there restrictions etc?

Violet_0

Banned
What's the mount gameplay like in this new expansion? Anything I should know? I'm very tempted after seeing those reddit gifs of their animation. So much personality in them. Can you use mounts in old areas? Can they fly? Is there restrictions etc?

like normal mounts that can jump really far or high. The new areas are specifically designed around exploring with the various different mounts. You can use them in the old areas just like the glider from HoT

level-boosted Revenant with the sword/sword and armor they give you is decently capable of soloing most enemies with all the life steal, but it still feels like a weaker and far less statisfying Reaper. But I'm going for a condi Renegade build anyway, just need to get more hero points and probably run them through the early story parts of HoT to get equipment with the right stats. The highlight of the class for me so far is quickness on a toggle

say, what you do with exotic gear you don't need (unbound and soulbound)?

and damn the chef was annoying, luckily I got a pretty easy sequence once

jmartoine

I've only seen the first map and a small section of the second. But I love how open and vast they feel compared to the HoT maps which felt so claustrophobic in comparison.

Violet_0

Banned
I've only seen the first map and a small section of the second. But I love how open and vast they feel compared to the HoT maps which felt so claustrophobic in comparison.

I really like Brink and Basin, and Stand is fine minus the towers and the Mouth, though I've gotten slightly sick of that after 10 or so runs now. Depths, which I only ever entered after I came back to the game a few days ago, was super confusing the first time. The one thing I don't like are Champion hero points that just can't be solo'd, or even require a decently sized group (like Mushroom Queen in Depths). PoE has fixed that, fortunately

I always had decent luck with running into other players going after the same bosses. HP runs are dreadfully boring, but I rarely needed them

Freeman76

Anet have outdone themselves with PoF, astounding world design, who would have thought this much variety would come from a desert theme.

Hey guys, remember how Cadecus manor used to be a bitch and a half in a certain part without a thief because of all the snipers and boon supports?

Spellbreaker is so great at dealing with all of that crap. Enchantment collapse=AoE boon strips on boon stripping so you can strip while strip

Seeing players complain about lack of Meta, GET ON THE BOUNTY TRAIN, you will make so much F N loot it will make you forget about HoT Meta's..I killed all the bounties in Highlands last night, i had more rares and exotics in my bag than a DS/AB/VB/TD run combined, 19 rares, 3 exotics in 1 hour 10mins.. now that was a sample gotta test it more, drop rates will be different, but time to get CO bounties later on today..

Doikor

I've casually messed around with this game in the past year and while I had heart of thorns I never made it beyond lvl 21 because something just didnt click with me (think it's mostly down to me being indecisive over my class).

I picked up the latest expac and now have 2 lvl 80 boosts that I don't want to use because I think Ill be lost if I'm not eased into the later content.

If I do use my boost will the mounts be added to my other alts too or would I only get them at 80 too? Asking because I saw a level 3 character running around on their griffon but forgot to check if they were just synced down.

Other than that I'm definitely gonna settle on leveling a mesmer instead of my necromancer! Err, maybe, possibly... But that elementalist tho.

For the being lost you can just take your max lvl character and go to low level zones. The game will automatically delevel you to match the zone. You will be slightly stronger then someone who is actually at that level but still gives you enough of a challenge to learn the play the game while the mechanics (less conditions/stuns etc used by monsters) are still simpler.

The mounts are based on the mastery system and the masteries are account bound. So as long as all your characters are on the same account they will get benefits from/access to to all the masteries. Btw by using the boost you will not get the mounts automatically. You actually have to go and play on the new maps (and some bits of the story) to get access to them. But again once you do that on one character all the characters get access to them.

"Pssh, how many things can you do in a desert setting?"

O..ooh

There is also snowy mountains on the west side of desert highlands.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Right now they're running the mantra heal, Mantra of Flame, Mantra of Potence for Quickness, the signet that adds condition damage and Renewed Focus.

With Balthazar Runes, you burn when you heal. Mantra of Flame is more burn. With the Quickfire trait you provide Ashes of the Just to you and all the allies when you provide quickness to which is more burn. Renewed Focus for the elite which resets the cool downs of you F1 Tome skill for more burn. Yes, with Firebrand Renewed Focus is a DPS increase. That's how crazy powerful the F1 tome is.

The signet can get switched out with a utility that provides Stability or CC as needed.

maybe it's just me but my F1 tome skill activates really quickly

Taking my time with the story. I am intrigued.

I think they've done something innovative here. I've never played a fantasy story that went like this. How did we go from Modremoth to this?

I genuinely don't know where it will go from here.
I just did the mission where Balthazar killed me and I went to the mists to speak with the Judge and Joko

"Pssh, how many things can you do in a desert setting?"

O..ooh

The Desolace is so fucking metal.

Palawa Joko and the Awakened's architecture is so fucking metal.

I did the mini dungeon in the Highlands. So cool. I really liked the collections in there. Those are the kinds of things I wish the game had more of.

I also got my Griffon.

Stuart444

Hidden mount stuff:

The Instance to get the hidden mount is pretty cool. Getting to fight Aatxe makes me think of the Underworld from GW1. Shades as well haha.

edit: so I got my Mount but..... man. (Spoilers for a certain character and her fate):

Tahlkora's fate is just ;_;. Spoke out against Joko, tongue cut out, her eyes taken and then eventually killed to be awakened but thankfully she was kept free from Joko's power.

FUCK Joko. Tahl was always one of my favourite NF characters. I hope we get to kill Joko.
I really REALLY do.

Also where the fuck were Koss and Melonni. They were friends with Tahl. >_< I would HOPE they tried to help/save her.

Cels

act 3 felt pretty abrupt to me

game barely has you do anything in vabbi/desolation and suddenly you are fighting the final boss, i didn't even expect to be doing it already

now it's time to go back and do the maps

Ralemont

not me
Maxed Scourge last night and started playing it: it's so good for those events where they throw trash mobs at you. In Tangled Depths I was doing the Chak Champion with all his little grunts and was borderline soloing it with constant max life force. I love playing classes that feel like they have high ceilings, and Scourge is that so much more than Reaper was.

Sai-kun

Banned
i never even reached 80 on my original character like 5 years ago but i got back into it and i'm up to 74 now. just posting to tag in to this topic and to say hi to people.

those birthday XP bonuses you get for your character existing for 5 years are pretty sick. It's made leveling much more fun.

Game appears to be a crapton more fun now with mounts. The movement options are great, and it frees up many classes to spec away from movement skills for open world PVE.

Still sub optimal in dps as my engine though, still getting the hang of kit swapping. Holo is fun as heck though. Getting slaughtered by elites though in story segments.

Jira

Ha, that review got pulled from Metacritic after the guy got called out and he tried to cover it up with running to Crystal Oasis and taking crappy screenshots then editing in a sentence or two about raptors.

As for the story (full ending spoilers):

I do agree it ended abruptly, the entire 3rd act wasn't as long as I'd hoped. I did hope we'd spend more time in the desolation, but my guess is it will play a larger significance in LS4 with Joko being released.

Massicot

I thought the transition from Act 2 to Act 3 was pretty weird.

You go to Kormir and she generally tells you she can't help, but tells you the answers are "out there", basically. I am 100% on board with this. It's a pretty common trope for the mortals to have to rely on their own capabilities rather than relying on literal divine intervention. But then the player character literally goes further into the desert with basically an incredibly small idea of where to go next.

So you go around and eventually learn about Kesho and Kralk's weakness and Balth's dealings with Joko...but I feel like Kormir could have introduced this idea or it could have been introduced in some other way that felt less...clumsy?

You eventually go to meet up with your friends at the top of a tall tower because it's "tall enough for Kiel's airship to moor" but it really just feels like a mechanization to put the pc in a place to be ambushed and killed by Balth, so that you could auspiciously end up meeting Joko in the underworld that you just learned made a dealing with Balth and seeding the idea of using his army to fight the forged he helped create. It just feels really awkward but also incredibly fortunate at the same time.

I think a few tweaks would have made it felt a little more natural. Have Kormir somehow introduce the idea of Balthazar looking to find a weakness for Kralk, tie that to Vlast having an egg chamber of his own, go to Kesho to confirm the details, maybe arrive in the underworld in some other fashion other than (luckily?) dying at the most appropriate time.

Also an aside: I don't really think that the story really gained a whole lot by having Rytlock being responsible for freeing Balthazar. If Balthazar had just gone rogue the moment he decided to go against the other gods instead of being imprisoned and then freed, I don't think you really lose much of anything except for a incredibly fleeting moment of intrigue when he calls Rytlock "friend."

One thing that could have made this story beat stick a little stronger would be to have Sohothin be effective against the Forge/Balth because he was the one that reignited it, or something.
Let me know if I'm underthinking or missing anything.

Jira

I thought the transition from Act 2 to Act 3 was pretty weird.

You go to Kormir and she generally tells you she can't help, but tells you the answers are "out there", basically. I am 100% on board with this. It's a pretty common trope for the mortals to have to rely on their own capabilities rather than relying on literal divine intervention. But then the player character literally goes further into the desert with basically an incredibly small idea of where to go next.

So you go around and eventually learn about Kesho and Kralk's weakness and Balth's dealings with Joko...but I feel like Kormir could have introduced this idea or it could have been introduced in some other way that felt less...clumsy?

You eventually go to meet up with your friends at the top of a tall tower because it's "tall enough for Kiel's airship to moor" but it really just feels like a mechanization to put the pc in a place to be ambushed and killed by Balth, so that you could auspiciously end up meeting Joko in the underworld that you just learned made a dealing with Balth and seeding the idea of using his army to fight the forged he helped create. It just feels really awkward but also incredibly fortunate at the same time.

I think a few tweaks would have made it felt a little more natural. Have Kormir somehow introduce the idea of Balthazar looking to find a weakness for Kralk, tie that to Vlast having an egg chamber of his own, go to Kesho to confirm the details, maybe arrive in the underworld in some other fashion other than (luckily?) dying at the most appropriate time.

Also an aside: I don't really think that the story really gained a whole lot by having Rytlock being responsible for freeing Balthazar. If Balthazar had just gone rogue the moment he decided to go against the other gods instead of being imprisoned and then freed, I don't think you really lose much of anything except for a incredibly fleeting moment of intrigue when he calls Rytlock "friend."

One thing that could have made this story beat stick a little stronger would be to have Sohothin be effective against the Forge/Balth because he was the one that reignited it, or something.
Let me know if I'm underthinking or missing anything.

Overall I think the importance of Rytlock being the one who freed Balthazar is because we've been waiting years to know what the hell happened to him in the mists. It's hard to say if this was planned all along or written in. As for Kormir, she acts just like she did in GW1, same old same old with her. People are upset she had no hand in anything really, but like she said herself, if the gods intervene, everything goes to hell. The only thing they can do is nothing. Though I do agree with you on the Korimir giving some kind of clue.

Top Bottom