• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekends (Aug 11-13, 18-20)

Massicot

That's the rumor anyway.

It's a really boring rumor imo. Of the three regions explored in the original game (considering EotN and Prophecies as one), it's the only region left. Expansion 2 is visiting Elona, So by elimination of course Season 4 must be Cantha. If not then, Expansion 3!

So I can defend the rumor as easily as having made it up on the spot or as having had Mike O'Brien tell me directly. It's defendable but almost certainly baseless. But at the same time, if Cantha does end up showing its face later in GW2's life, anyone who merely guessed that Cantha would appear is vindicated and anyone that doubted is immediately a dummy.

Ashodin

I'm expecting the Charr Homelands sometime in the future. The problem is a lot of people don't like Charr everywhere

Doikor

Yeah, already did. Really wanted to play tonight. Ughhh.

You could just make a new account for the weekend. You don't get to keep any of the progression you make during the preview weekend anyway. (they give you a lvl80 character with full exotic sets of gear for these previews)

I really hope we visit Istan in S4. Along with pre-searing Ascalon it's one of the more nostalgic areas for me from GW1. Before moving onto Cantha though, I'd love for them to fill in all the holes in the core map.

I'm probably not going to mess with the preview very much this weekend. I want to finish up S3 on my ranger first.

Freeman76

It's a really boring rumor imo. Of the three regions explored in the original game (considering EotN and Prophecies as one), it's the only region left. Expansion 2 is visiting Elona, So by elimination of course Season 4 must be Cantha. If not then, Expansion 3!

So I can defend the rumor as easily as having made it up on the spot or as having had Mike O'Brien tell me directly. It's defendable but almost certainly baseless. But at the same time, if Cantha does end up showing its face later in GW2's life, anyone who merely guessed that Cantha would appear is vindicated and anyone that doubted is immediately a dummy.

Cantha wont be LS4, or Expansion 3 I doubt.

Doikor

Cantha wont be LS4, or Expansion 3 I doubt.

Cantha is really problematic politically/socially. For example Divinity's Reach was supposed to have a Cantha district but was removed due to pressure/complaints. The problem is that Cantha is mix of Japanese, Chinese and Korean (and maybe even more? Vietnam? Thailand?) culture/themes and none of those cultures really like to be mixed with the other ones. (I don't really blame them. The west has been throwing all these distinct cultures under one "Asian" umbrella for a long time)

The only thing keeping me from playing this game is the ugly armor it's World of Warcraft levels of bland and ugly. The cash shop stuff was even uglier than the normal gear somehow.

Morokh

The only thing keeping me from playing this game is the ugly armor it's World of Warcraft levels of bland and ugly. The cash shop stuff was even uglier than the normal gear somehow.

That's one of the weirdest reasons I've ever seen to not want to play this game. >_<
There is a wide variety of armor looks across all armor weights, and while there are some over the top big ugly/busy armors like in WoW (and sadly those are what most people will pick ...) there are also a ton of them that are simpler and/or more refined.
Adding the fact that you can easily mix and match and dye armors (which in some cases really improves the look of an armour) really helps to create interesting looks to fit your tastes.
If you didn't play since launch they also changed the way you earn and change skins to make it more user friendly.

If you want to see for yourself, jump in-game on a free account and browse the list of armors in your bank, or just head to https://gw2style.com to see what kind of stuff people come up with.

Hedge

Not sure why people like Cantha so much. Maps were dull - save for like two - and the story was rather dull.
I much preferred Nightfall - I'm so excited going to Crystal Desert!

jmartoine

Pondering not jumping in for the preview weekend. Would prefer everything be fresh when it comes to the release, got a few other things on this weekend so not sure if I would really be able to enjoy it if I had to rush.

Not sure why people like Cantha so much. Maps were dull - save for like two - and the story was rather dull.

Cantha for a Asian Lore, I prefer Elona, Factions was meh, Shiro was the best thing about Factions, and he was made more badass in Gate of Madness mission...

Mikey Jr.

You could just make a new account for the weekend. You don't get to keep any of the progression you make during the preview weekend anyway. (they give you a lvl80 character with full exotic sets of gear for these previews)

Ohh ok. Yeah, I'll try that I suppose. Thanks.

Purdy

Is there anything equivalent to UW/FoW farming in this these days?

I miss the build versatility of GW1 and going on PvX/GWWiki to try peoples builds :(

Jolkien

I assume it's a great time to jump in ? I wonder which class to play if I try it. There's limited PvE content in there right ? It's mostly pvp ? I know there's no holy trinity, I normally play tank or healer in other MMOs

Morokh

I assume it's a great time to jump in ? I wonder which class to play if I try it. There's limited PvE content in there right ? It's mostly pvp ? I know there's no holy trinity, I normally play tank or healer in other MMOs

Not at all.
Plenty of open-world stuff to do.
There is no 'traditional' dungeons apart from those tied to the leveling story, but at high level Fractals that are sort of like bite-sized dungeon wings compilation that is supposed to fill that void with their own progression system and all.

So yeah, great time to jump-in especially since the base game has been Free to play (with a few restrictions) for a while now so it won't cost you anything if you want to try it.

Massicot

Some classes are better suited to taking "tank" or "healer" roles, but they aren't strictly defined, no.

Doikor

Got DC'd while doing the first event. Now get a network error when i try to use that character. Servers broke?

Nishastra

Banned
Cantha was just so unlike anywhere else in the game, especially Kaineng and all the Kurzick areas.

Kaineng City being so big that whole zones were all inside of it, rather than every other city where it's just one non-combat map that's basically just a big plaza with no houses or anything.

Ashodin

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

wGCvRR9.gif

Matty8787

I just got back into playing this game and only have the base game, now I will be buying both the expacs as I am enjoying myself but will the first expac still be worth playing it will all the content be rendered useless with PoF releasing?

Ashodin

next expac will have submarines, a yellow one.

SHARK MOUNTS

I just got back into playing this game and only have the base game, now I will be buying both the expacs as I am enjoying myself but will the first expac still be worth playing it will all the content be rendered useless with PoF releasing?

absolutely not. Heart of Thorns is relevant regardless of buying Path of Fire or not. Guild Wars 2 has prided itself on making expansions still relevant because there's no gear grind, no extra leveling, any of that. It's all about the content.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I played 45 minutes and that's all I needed to know I'm there Day 1.

The mount feels amazing, honestly the animations take it to another level. What I saw of the Crystal Desert looked absolutely stunning, too.

Gave it another go after having not played Guild Wars in a few months, i'd love to revisit the zones from Guild Wars 1. Didn't get far into it. GW2 continues to be a game where I love the design of the zones but can't stand playing it, I hate the combat so much. I hope if they make a GW3 that it clicks with me like GW1 did.

Lucifon

It runs so much better than HoT in my old toaster PC. Really liking the feel of the mounts animation.

I just tried the game on my new HP Envy 13 with the Nvidia MX150 and it ran at 50-60fps on medium'ish settings at 1080. I was crazy impressed. Granted it wasn't in a busy area so I imagine I'd have to knock that down, but still pretty blown away by the ability to run a game like gw2 on an ultrabook dGPU.

Dizzy-4U

I just tried the game on my new HP Envy 13 with the Nvidia MX150 and it ran at 50-60fps on medium'ish settings at 1080. I was crazy impressed. Granted it wasn't in a busy area so I imagine I'd have to knock that down, but still pretty blown away by the ability to run a game like gw2 on an ultrabook dGPU.
Yeah, I'm guessing it'll start to go down for me once the place is filled up. Still, not bad for my 5 years old machine.

Morokh

Bouties can get crazy at time, that's good I was a bit afraid they would be too easy.
Liking what I played so far, but I sincerely hope they crank-up things a notch on the rest of the map, really feels empty and like not much is going-on when you go exploring.

Also, screenshots.

JSoup

Banned
Playing this demo, I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing the first time.
It's slow, it's clunky, it's like walking through molasses while trying to knock down walls with pop guns.

Pretty, though.

Top Bottom