• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekends (Aug 11-13, 18-20)

The raptor mount is a lot of fun, but I'm mostly looking forward to the elite spec preview next week.

That Nvidia DSR mode is really good for bitmap screenshots (you may need something like SweetFX to make the bitmap shots).

moonraptor5subx.jpg

Higher resolution version:
http://abload.de/img/moonraptor_bigdxsk9.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Playing this demo, I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing the first time.
It's slow, it's clunky, it's like walking through molasses while trying to knock down walls with pop guns.

Pretty, though.
Sorry but I don't see how it's slow and clunky? No skill under a GCD, the transition from mount to combat is the smoothest I've seen in a MMO. Animations are some of the best in MMOs.

How is it slow and clunky?

Sorry but I don't see how it's slow and clunky? No skill under a GCD, the transition from mount to combat is the smoothest I've seen in a MMO. Animations are some of the best in MMOs.

How is it slow and clunky?

I wouldn't necessarily call GW2's combat slow or clunky but I do vastly prefer weaving oGCD cooldowns in between GCD's . I think it's more engaging for me at least.

Imgur usually doesn't do hi res images justice. I would recommend abload.de, though it has a 10mb limit so some downsampling may be needed still.

I swapped it to my Google Photos account on that one and the first one I uploaded, but 10MB isn't big enough for most 8k screens.

I'll just stick them all here together: Album

Kard8p3

Really bummed I can't use the HoT specs with a demo character :/, this was gonna help me decide if I wanted to upgrade or not.

The raptor mount is very, very impressive, and I think it represents very well the best aspects of the mastery system.

What I find so offensively idiotic about the traditional sandwich-breadcrumb MMO is that through its carrots and stick. Increasing your character level or adding new tier of gear invalidates everything you did previously and just bump up the stats. It doesn't change how you play the game in any meaningful way.

GW always has been the antithesis of this mentality saying that your gear and grinding shouldn't be the determining factor.

They made the mastery system to create further levelling, but instead of focusing on stats and new tiers of gear, it would be focused on ways that expanded your gameplay in other manners.
The gliding was a fantastic addition in the last expansion, and the base game became amazing when the gliding was added, and WvW has become really fun with the gliding added there as well.
The gliding provides gameplay, a new way to control, a natural gating that blends freely into with the traversal of the world.

The other masteries in HoT wasn't anywhere near as meaningful. Bounching mushrooms, exclusive vendors and the like felt more like old-school abillity gating. It's nice to see that these mounts actually serve a function, and are an extension of your character.
I was worried that the mounts would invalidate the ground gameplay (playing on foot), but I don't think this will be the case.

The core of GW2 is to explore and naturally and organically follow other players and tackle challanges together without being grouped or verbal communication. It's based on solo co-op.
They seem to be very well aware of it. I like how each mount has a opening attack that dismounts you. Psychologically it invites the player to engage enemy on mounts. In WoW I'd get so lazy I wouldn't dismount to help other players because it was a bother to wait those seconds to summon the mount again.
I like the incentive they are going for. At the same time, I also like how you cannot be on your mount while talking to vendors. This should keep the bloat of standing in a city trying to navigate and have it be blocked by 5000 effects heavy mounts just making the game clog and look insufferable bloated.

And it's nice to see the mounts representing that. Their speed boost is only slight, and they control with such heft that it feels like you're wrangling during hard moves. It reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus horse more than anything.

EDIT: Found it:

AgonizingLiveFrenchbulldog.gif

The animation set for it is wonderful. I had an idle animation where my character was dangling sideways in the saddle because the raptor was distracted by its own tail?

I do have some suggestions for the developers; I hope they will add variations of the mounts.
For the raptors I'd like to see different scale patterns, different horns, and other variants that doesn't change the model, but just make the mounts not look the same with different single dye channels.

It think the demo was really cool. The new area seems really nice and I liked the story. Is the god crazy, good or just evil? I'm pretty intrigued. I hope the story will expand on the origin of the human race and the world they originally came from (not being natural inhabitants of Tyria).
I also wonder if we will see other Gods like Komir in a Greek mythology gods clash.

Focusing on Gods instead of dragons, dragons, dragons is a good idea in my mind.

Next week testing the new elite specialization is something I really am looking forward to.

FinKL

Do you have to download a separate client for this? I downloaded the original GW2 and let it download everything already.

Ashodin

Really bummed I can't use the HoT specs with a demo character :/, this was gonna help me decide if I wanted to upgrade or not.
If you have hot already you could. Maybe next weekend you can play everything

There will absolutely be mount skins

The raptor mount is very, very impressive, and I think it represents very well the best aspects of the mastery system.

What I find so offensively idiotic about the traditional sandwich-breadcrumb MMO is that through its carrots and stick. Increasing your character level or adding new tier of gear invalidates everything you did previously and just bump up the stats. It doesn't change how you play the game in any meaningful way.

GW always has been the antithesis of this mentality saying that your gear and grinding shouldn't be the determining factor.

They made the mastery system to create further levelling, but instead of focusing on stats and new tiers of gear, it would be focused on ways that expanded your gameplay in other manners.
The gliding was a fantastic addition in the last expansion, and the base game became amazing when the gliding was added, and WvW has become really fun with the gliding added there as well.
The gliding provides gameplay, a new way to control, a natural gating that blends freely into with the traversal of the world.

The other masteries in HoT wasn't anywhere near as meaningful. Bounching mushrooms, exclusive vendors and the like felt more like old-school abillity gating. It's nice to see that these mounts actually serve a function, and are an extension of your character.
I was worried that the mounts would invalidate the ground gameplay (playing on foot), but I don't think this will be the case.

The core of GW2 is to explore and naturally and organically follow other players and tackle challanges together without being grouped or verbal communication. It's based on solo co-op.
They seem to be very well aware of it. I like how each mount has a opening attack that dismounts you. Psychologically it invites the player to engage enemy on mounts. In WoW I'd get so lazy I wouldn't dismount to help other players because it was a bother to wait those seconds to summon the mount again.
I like the incentive they are going for. At the same time, I also like how you cannot be on your mount while talking to vendors. This should keep the bloat of standing in a city trying to navigate and have it be blocked by 5000 effects heavy mounts just making the game clog and look insufferable bloated.

And it's nice to see the mounts representing that. Their speed boost is only slight, and they control with such heft that it feels like you're wrangling during hard moves. It reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus horse more than anything.

EDIT: Found it:

AgonizingLiveFrenchbulldog.gif

The animation set for it is wonderful. I had an idle animation where my character was dangling sideways in the saddle because the raptor was distracted by its own tail?

I do have some suggestions for the developers; I hope they will add variations of the mounts.
For the raptors I'd like to see different scale patterns, different horns, and other variants that doesn't change the model, but just make the mounts not look the same with different single dye channels.

It think the demo was really cool. The new area seems really nice and I liked the story. Is the god crazy, good or just evil? I'm pretty intrigued. I hope the story will expand on the origin of the human race and the world they originally came from (not being natural inhabitants of Tyria).
I also wonder if we will see other Gods like Komir in a Greek mythology gods clash.

Focusing on Gods instead of dragons, dragons, dragons is a good idea in my mind.

Next week testing the new elite specialization is something I really am looking forward to.

The animations on the mount are amazing. Not just the mount but the player characters as well. If your weapon sheaths at the side it rattles really satisfying. Your character actually handles the reins appropriately for all actions.

adversarial

What is with this awful installer? Legitimately locks the whole computer and after a few percents, it stops downloading completely.

Se_7_eN

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to play this weekend... Their password / account recovery system is TERRIBLE.

Back to PUBG for me.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just make a throwaway account. Nothing is saved.

You can make a F2P account and play all the same.

I have a feeling it would also be the case of still wanting to get control of your account either way.

Those raptor gifs, god damn. I dropped out during release after about level 46 on my Ele because it just didn't feel like a true step from OG GW especially with the combat system tying to weapons. It sounded neat but on launch just felt eh to me, like they could have gone further but sort of stopped halfway for some reason. I enjoyed my time as it was a beautiful MMO, I just don't know if I can really be bothered trying again when it still has those core mechanics in place.

I have a feeling it would also be the case of still wanting to get control of your account either way.

Those raptor gifs, god damn.

tumblr_oujl21CQVg1r3qup9o3_540.gif

tumblr_oujl21CQVg1r3qup9o2_540.gif

I love the tongue:p

From another angle:

And I hope the others are just as expressive! Having a big animation set for each mount is really important. I love that holding each weapon also has different animation sets. It really adds life and aesthetics. Animation is just so important!

Cels

my fps is about 30 in amnoon, not sure why

i get 60fps anywhere else except for high density events like tequatl

Jira

my fps is about 30 in amnoon, not sure why

i get 60fps anywhere else except for high density events like tequatl

I think they're still optimizing the zone. This is the perfect time to collect a ton of user data to see where optimizations need to happen. But also, PoF did increase the sys reqs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
why does the Tempest UI look slightly cleaner in PoF than in the main game? Can't they bring it over? :/

Slayven

No feeling it, but that is probably because they throw you into it instead of learning the abilities through hours of play

Top Bottom