• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Man, Retro, thanks for linking up this skill calculator. I cannot believe how much variety there is between classes and within each class. On the one hand this would have blown my mind seeing it in game the first time, but I'd only get to see the available skills gradually and class by class. I have a feeling there's going to end up being substantially more depth here than people suspect.

Seriously, it feels like an enormous amount of thought was put into every class. I had no idea how much there was to Guardians before playing around with this thing.

Here's a question. On Warrior's 1 skill with a mace, it shows like this with two skills under it:
T3x9t.png

What does that mean?

(A guess) Chain skills. If you land the first skill the second opens up and you can hit the button again and a chain skill will cast. Think of it like a combo.

nataku

It's a combo/chain/whatever you want to call it. IIRC you press "1" once and it's automatically fires off the three skills, until it loops back to the first one, then you press it again to start the chain over.

ShaneB

What I love seeing is that no one is worrying about playing a class because a guild might be lacking in such and such an area. Play what you want! Sure, there will be instances of maybe not wanting to play a class because there are a lot already, but there's no panic over a lack of classes.

edit: Also, for those that have been waiting so long for this game? Just how has it been waiting that long? I can't imagine the information trickle over that long. I guess it's comparable to other long developed games, but I guess I get to a point where I would just lose interest until it finally comes out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a combo/chain/whatever you want to call it. IIRC you press "1" once and it's automatically fires off the three skills, until it loops back to the first one.
Ok. Did not know this existed. It seems like there are a ton of ways they've hidden extra skills within the bar so there's more than just "your weapon gives you 3-5 skills" as it seems at first glance.

edit: Another example- didn't realize Guardian virtues were both passive effects and usable skills. This tool is making me want to try every class immediately :-/

edit again: Saw another combo with Staff Guardian... 2 to shoot an orb of light (which I assume damages enemies if it hits them), 2 again to detonate it and heal nearby allies. brilliant

Orayn

Ok. Did not know this existed. It seems like there are a ton of ways they've hidden extra skills within the bar so there's more than just "your weapon gives you 3-5 skills" as it seems at first glance.

Definitely. The rabbit hole goes even deeper when you consider that major traits, sigils on your weapons, and runes on your armor can grant passive bonuses that dramatically alter how certain skills are used, like by reducing cooldowns, greatly increasing condition duration, etc.

It really gives me a bit of a Monster Hunter vibe - Yes, your basic palette of attacks is somewhat narrow, but there are a number of ways to alter their usage and power.

What I love seeing is that no one is worrying about playing a class because a guild might be lacking in such and such an area. Play what you want! Sure, there will be instances of maybe not wanting to play a class because there are a lot already, but there's no panic over a lack of classes.

edit: Also, for those that have been waiting so long for this game? Just how has it been waiting that long? I can't imagine the information trickle over that long. I guess it's comparable to other long developed games, but I guess I get to a point where I would just lose interest until it finally comes out.

Agree on the first part. I would usually just pick a good healing class because they are usually needed.

As for waiting, I have only been waiting about a year and it has been excrutiating. Tor and the couple times I went back to wow a week or two at a time made it worse.

edit: Another example- didn't realize Guardian virtues were both passive effects and usable skills. This tool is making me want to try every class immediately :-/

edit again: Saw another combo with Staff Guardian... 2 to shoot an orb of light (which I assume damages enemies if it hits them), 2 again to detonate it and heal nearby allies. brilliant

Also have you seen the cross profession combos? Adds another element as well.

nataku

I've been waiting for the game since they announced it, back in 2007, along side the Eye of the North. I've got the GW EoTN PC Gamer magazine where they announced it right here, actually. The couple of years dead silence on GW2 after that article came out was probably what killed me the most. I actually stopped playing GW1 during the time because every time I played it I was reminded how I wasn't getting info on GW2.

Arksy

Actually the last few months have been the most excruciating. We all thought it was going to be really good, but after the press dump, we finally got to find out just how good it was going to be...

Actually the last few months have been the most excruciating. We all thought it was going to be really good, but after the press dump, we finally got to find out just how good it was going to be...

Remember that it's only a beta, I'm positive there's a ton of polish that still needs to be done to the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what type of polish do you think will happen?
It needs simple hardware optimization and stuff like... skill descriptions are still wrong/mixed, icons are placeholders in some places.

The mechanics themselves seem craaaaazy polished already.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It needs simple hardware optimization and stuff like... skill descriptions are still wrong/mixed, icons are placeholders in some places.

No way. They still have a lot of kinks to work on. They still need to figure out population scaling, Dynamic Event control, technical optimization, particle effects, skills - whether it be balance or revamping it altogether.

I understand that many of you guys think, and hope, that the game is basically done and only a few technical kinks need to be worked out but the game is still heavily in development. There are a lot of changes that need to be made. Myself, and the officers stated in the podcast that the game is close to being done but there are a lot of work that needs to be done beyond the "polishing" stage.

Retro

Alright, ran to Costco and the grocery store, now it's time to mega-post and reply to everyone.
82pvS.gif

Weeeeeeeee!

Man, Retro, thanks for linking up this skill calculator. I cannot believe how much variety there is between classes and within each class. On the one hand this would have blown my mind seeing it in game the first time, but I'd only get to see the available skills gradually and class by class. I have a feeling there's going to end up being substantially more depth here than people suspect.

Have you looked at the Traits yet? Because that, more than anything, will wildly affect how each player approaches combat, even two of the same profession. They're the little hexagon on the left side. It's worth mentioning, however, that they're from a previous build and some are obviously missing or placeholders. Each trait line will have 12 major traits at launch (so a total of 60 major traits), and those can be swapped out at any time outside of combat. The actual distribution of points (and thus, the Minor traits) cannot, however, so you'll have to head to an NPC to re-spec. Still, the Major traits are the big ones, so it's not too big a deal.

Seriously, it feels like an enormous amount of thought was put into every class. I had no idea how much there was to Guardians before playing around with this thing.

Yeah, I was really focused on the Warrior, but a few nights ago Arken and I were looking over them in steam and there's some really interesting possibilities in there. For example, Arken was looking at a Burn-heavy build while I was looking at a Blind-oriented build. Same class, wildly different tactics.

Here's a question. On Warrior's 1 skill with a mace, it shows like this with two skills under it:
T3x9t.png

What does that mean?

As others have said, those are chain attacks; pressing 1 once will use the first attack, again the second, a third time will use the third. Warrior ones are alright, but check out the Ranger's Sword Chain:

Slash: Slash your foe.
Kick: Kick and knock back your foe.
Pounce: Leap at target foe.

Yeah... nice. And remember, you don't HAVE to follow that kick up with the pounce, meaning you can slash, kick, and then start dumping ranged damage into them again.

So if you happen to be a Charr and go with Charrzooka, rifle, med/flame/elixir/grenade, that's 34 skills in total. You're like a walking swiss army knife. :p

That's why I'm going Charr Engineer; another trick in an already heavy bag. At least, that's the theory, as Guesong pointed out. In practice, it may not be effective to run with all of those kits, and a lot of that stuff is situational too (Mines, for example). I can see them being effective if you want to dump a lot of damage in a small space or have some kind of damage spike on demand. Players may also see the mines (assuming they can) and be wary, allowing a skilled Engineer to play mind games. You could mine a control point in PVP and make people think twice about stepping into it.

Also, for those that have been waiting so long for this game? Just how has it been waiting that long? I can't imagine the information trickle over that long. I guess it's comparable to other long developed games, but I guess I get to a point where I would just lose interest until it finally comes out.

I had heard about GW2 being in development early on, but didn't really pay it much mind because back in 2007, I was still aimlessly playing WoW and working quite heavily, so I was just too lazy to get interested in anything else. I still bitched about how broken the game was, but it was a nice time sink when I'd get home from a long day at work.

My interest was piqued in late 2009 when the game was first shown and we started to get some details about the Trinity being gone, etc. Once the Manifesto video hit in 2010 and I heard the ANet developers reading my mind, it was all over. I was hooked. The slow trickle has been agony, but now that we're so close, I don't mind. All signs indicate it was worth it.

Elementalist has a nice one too, where they can summon elemental weapons via 4 "Conjure" utility skills. That other players can then pick up and use. Here is one of them, the Lightning Hammer, in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-9VEvAmFg&hd=1&t=27m26s

There's also a Frost Bow, Earth Shield, and Lava axe. They also have an Elite skill that conjures Fiery Greatswords.

It really gives me a bit of a Monster Hunter vibe - Yes, your basic palette of attacks is somewhat narrow, but there are a number of ways to alter their usage and power.

That, and you have to dodge, position yourself, manage your own health... actually, when you get down to it, GW2 is a bit like a Monster Hunter MMO, minus the survival aspects (gathering all of your supplies, cooking meat, etc.)

Also have you seen the cross profession combos? Adds another element as well.

Dude, stop blowing peoples' minds, it's a lot to take in all at once.

This is due in large part to ArenaNet's constant iterative design process. Instead of just tossing things down on paper, they test the shit out of all of their ideas. If memory serves correctly, more than one class has been heavily revamped based on feedback. Pretty sure it was Thief.

I understand that many of you guys think, and hope, that the game is basically done and only a few technical kinks need to be worked out but the game is still heavily in development. There are a lot of changes that need to be made. Myself, and the officers stated in the podcast that the game is close to being done but there are a lot of work that needs to be done beyond the "polishing" stage.

Yeah, I think we all agreed that there is still a lot to do before Launch, but at this point a summer launch doesn't seem out of the question. We know that the press and closed beta event were running different builds of the game, and that those builds may not have been the most recent iterations. It's also missing a lot of optimization and such. I think next weekend will be the first real chance that we have to see how far along the game really is. Very exciting.

Aaaand that's it, I guess. If you read this far, get yourself a cookie for lunch. You earned it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No way. They still have a lot of kinks to work on. They still need to figure out population scaling, Dynamic Event control, technical optimization, particle effects, skills - whether it be balance or revamping it altogether.

Well, optimization was the first thing I mentioned and I don't get how particle effects wouldn't be part of that, and skill balance is going to be an ongoing process for years.

I'm sure you know more than me about the state of the game and I'm sure population scaling and Dynamic Event control (though I'm not sure what you're referencing) need substantial work, but that's not what I'm referring to. The basic mechanics of the game you can see in recent videos (control, pace of combat, interface, character creation, etc., the things that need to be good to make the game fun) already show a lot of polish. I'd never claim the game didn't need a lot of work at this point but it looks like a lot of the underlying elements have already been refined quite a bit.
Alright, ran to Costco and the grocery store, now it's time to mega-post and reply to everyone.
82pvS.gif

Weeeeeeeee!

Have you looked at the Traits yet? Because that, more than anything, will wildly affect how each player approaches combat, even two of the same profession. They're the little hexagon on the left side. It's worth mentioning, however, that they're from a previous build and some are obviously missing or placeholders. Each trait line will have 12 major traits at launch (so a total of 60 major traits), and those can be swapped out at any time outside of combat. The actual distribution of points (and thus, the Minor traits) cannot, however, so you'll have to head to an NPC to re-spec. Still, the Major traits are the big ones, so it's not too big a deal.
Just barely scratched the surface. So cool.

Yeah, I was really focused on the Warrior, but a few nights ago Arken and I were looking over them in steam and there's some really interesting possibilities in there. For example, Arken was looking at a Burn-heavy build while I was looking at a Blind-oriented build. Same class, wildly different tactics.

As others have said, those are chain attacks; pressing 1 once will use the first attack, again the second, a third time will use the third. Warrior ones are alright, but check out the Ranger's Sword Chain:

oyCx6.jpg

Yeah. And remember, you don't HAVE to follow that kick up with the pounce, meaning you can slash-kick, and then start dumping ranged damage into them again.
Amazing. You miss out on that option if you don't have a pet, I imagine? :p

That's why I'm going Charr Engineer; another trick in an already heavy bag. At least, that's the theory, as Guesong pointed out. In practice, it may not be effective to run with all of those kits, and a lot of that stuff is situational too (Mines, for example). I can see them being effective if you want to dump a lot of damage in a small space or have some kind of damage spike on demand. Players may also see the mines (assuming they can) and be wary, allowing a skilled Engineer to play mind games. You could mine a control point in PVP and make people think twice about stepping into it.
Aye, I imagine it wouldn't be the most effective strategy to roll with in all situations, but it beats the crap out of everything else for versatility. Just impressive that it's possible (and potentially viable) at all.

Elementalist has a nice one too, where they can summon elemental weapons via Utility skills. That other players can then pick up and use. Here it is in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-9VEvAmFg&hd=1&t=27m26s
Right.. awesome.

This is due in large part to ArenaNet's constant iterative design process. Instead of just tossing things down on paper, they test the shit out of all of their ideas. If memory serves correctly, more than one class has been heavily revamped based on feedback. Pretty sure it was Thief.
Hm, I'd love to read about how it was altered.

Yeah, I think we all agreed that there is still a lot to do before Launch, but at this point a summer launch doesn't seem out of the question. We know that the press and closed beta event were running different builds of the game, and that those builds may not have been the most recent iterations. It's also missing a lot of optimization and such. I think next weekend will be the first real chance that we have to see how far along the game really is. Very exciting.

Aaaand that's it, I guess. If you read this far, get yourself a cookie for lunch. You earned it.[/QUOTE]

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, optimization was the first thing I mentioned and I don't get how particle effects wouldn't be part of that, and skill balance is going to be an ongoing process for years.

I'm sure you know more than me about the state of the game and I'm sure population scaling and Dynamic Event control (though I'm not sure what you're referencing) need substantial work, but that's not what I'm referring to. The basic mechanics of the game you can see in recent videos (control, pace of combat, interface, character creation, etc., the things that need to be good to make the game fun) already show a lot of polish. I'd never claim the game didn't need a lot of work at this point but it looks like a lot of the underlying elements have already been refined quite a bit.

I misunderstood. Sure the foundation is set. This is a given, I mean, if a game is coming out this year then the base better be set in stone. Having said that, if anyone thinks the game doesn't need major work then they're clearly deluding themselves.

Retro

Amazing. You miss out on that option if you don't have a pet, I imagine? :p

I'm pretty sure all Rangers have a pet out, it's not an optional thing. And I edited my post because those skill descriptions were taken from the Wiki, which is notoriously out of date in various places. I mention it because there's no Might effect for pets mentioned in the more recent version of that skill chain.

Hm, I'd love to read about how it was altered.

Here's a blog article about how they revamped the entire attribute system, and there's a snippet at the end about how they work:

http://www.arena.net/blog/pax-east-preview-izzy-on-attributes-and-iteration

And a nice little Q&A where the first question is about iteration:
http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/11/29/gw2-interview-with-arenanets-eric-flannum/

(surprise, I'm linking another KTR article)

I misunderstood. Sure the foundation is set. This is a given, I mean, if a game is coming out this year then the base better be set in stone. Having said that, if anyone thinks the game doesn't need major work then they're clearly deluding themselves.

I think it just depends on what you mean by major work. Optimization and balancing aren't huge things. Scaling issues and dynamic events is just a numbers thing and the betas will help with that. I also think that they are holding back some events in the starting areas for release and these will also change the DE timing issues and that sort of stuff.

Though I am sure there are some major things they need to work on(otherwise they'd have a release date) I think the issues were already in the process of being done. Any upcoming issues is what's most likely holds the date back. I'm still guessing a late June/early July as a release date. Anything before September I'd be happy with though.

There's a more recent article about what seems to be the current form of the attribute system, when they added a whole bunch of secondary stats:

http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-way-jon-peters-on-traits-and-attributes

This is where it shows they listen to their fanbase. They came out at first saying they were going to simplify attributes and the fans said it was too simple. So they went back and added more attributes and then class specific attributes. In the process of still making it pretty simple.

Retro

I just threw up a little. Tera's new advertising campaign is "Are you an MMO-FO" (Mo'fo, har har, that's so clever) that has a Dudebro punching and using wrestling moves on LARPers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CspnCAWFk30

So bad, can I get a picardwtfisthisshit.jpg in here?

Everyone knows REAL MEN play 8-year-old hyper-sexualized catgirls.

The video we had earlier in this thread of the guy creating an Elin and chuckling like a pedophile is set to private now. Too bad.

There's a more recent article about what seems to be the current form of the attribute system, when they added a whole bunch of secondary stats:

http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-way-jon-peters-on-traits-and-attributes

Right, but my intention by posting that article was to show how ArenaNet re-iterates systems that 'kinda' work until they're perfect.

ShaneB

Agree on the first part. I would usually just pick a good healing class because they are usually needed.

As for waiting, I have only been waiting about a year and it has been excrutiating. Tor and the couple times I went back to wow a week or two at a time made it worse.

It's just nice seeing people pick classes they want to play, instead of having to focus on a certain area because a guild might need more "such and such a class"

I guess I only started checking out GW2 around the time TOR launched and that MMO itch came back, but hearing that there was really nothing special about TOR, made me check out the GW2 stuff, and that was it, definitely glad I haven't been waiting so long.

I've been waiting for the game since they announced it, back in 2007, along side the Eye of the North. I've got the GW EoTN PC Gamer magazine where they announced it right here, actually. The couple of years dead silence on GW2 after that article came out was probably what killed me the most. I actually stopped playing GW1 during the time because every time I played it I was reminded how I wasn't getting info on GW2.

Heh, fair enough, get to that point where no other game matters and you just want GW2. Feels like i'm at that point now with Diablo 3 and GW2, and even as much as I'll love diablo 3 I'm sure, it feels like just a stop gap until GW2, but who knows! I never played GW1 since I was entrenched into WoW, and never really liked the idea of the game being so heavily instanced, so I just skipped it altogether.

I had heard about GW2 being in development early on, but didn't really pay it much mind because back in 2007, I was still aimlessly playing WoW and working quite heavily, so I was just too lazy to get interested in anything else. I still bitched about how broken the game was, but it was a nice time sink when I'd get home from a long day at work.

My interest was piqued in late 2009 when the game was first shown and we started to get some details about the Trinity being gone, etc. Once the Manifesto video hit in 2010 and I heard the ANet developers reading my mind, it was all over. I was hooked. The slow trickle has been agony, but now that we're so close, I don't mind. All signs indicate it was worth it.

Yeah, much like you I was heavy into WoW, and no other game really mattered for a long long time. Could ramble on and on about what killed WoW for me, but that's another story.

I just like that GW2 is focusing on what makes the ideas of MMO's great, and removing everything that's plagued them for years.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's no problem, I'm sure I wasn't clear about what I meant. But the bolded, as much as it should be a given, is really quite often not the case even at launch, let alone months beforehand. *glances, hurt, at Hellgate: London*

From the trait article, I am surprised they are charging you ('for a small fee') to respect traits
Actually, I think this is really clever! For the following reasons:
1. It makes picking your traits carry some weight, since you can't just respec all the live-long day.
2. It doesn't lock you in permanently, however, and by giving ANet a few bucks you can benefit the game at large and your personal character
3. Remember that you can convert gold into gems, so there won't be a legitimate need to spend cash even if you do require a respec.

ShaneB

I just threw up a little. Tera's new advertising campaign is "Are you an MMO-FO" (Mo'fo, har har, that's so clever) that has a Dudebro punching and using wrestling moves on LARPers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CspnCAWFk30

Everyone knows REAL MEN play 8-year-old hyper-sexualized catgirls.

The video we had earlier in this thread of the guy creating an Elin and chuckling like a pedophile is set to private now. Too bad.

Dudebro!?! That's Bas Rutten! MMA legend!

I only watched the video on mute, but it did look absolutely silly. lol

Achtius

Actually, I think this is really clever! For the following reasons:
1. It makes picking your traits carry some weight, since you can't just respec all the live-long day.
2. It doesn't lock you in permanently, however, and by giving ANet a few bucks you can benefit the game at large and your personal character
3. Remember that you can convert gold into gems, so there won't be a legitimate need to spend cash even if you do require a respec.

Pretty sure it's in-game gold :p What I liked about guild wars 1 is the freedom to try out different builds. But I assume the respec fee is probably nothing once you hit late game.

Retro

Dudebro!?! That's Bas Rutten! MMA legend!

I only watched the video on mute, but it did look absolutely silly. lol

The point is, how many gamers do you think look like an MMA Legend? And how is a MMA legend relevant to marketing a fantasy MMORPG? He's just there to 'beat up the nerds', basically, but I would wager most MMO players probably look like the guys in that video, sans costumes, of course.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty sure it's in-game gold :p What I liked about guild wars 1 is the freedom to try out different builds. But I assume the respec fee is probably nothing once you hit late game.
Oh, well in that case it'll be a complete non-issue by the time you want to do it frequently. -_-

GW1 started out having a small fee for it as well, then it was dropped eventually.

Oh, well in that case it'll be a complete non-issue by the time you want to do it frequently. -_-

GW1 started out having a small fee for it as well, then it was dropped eventually.

Yeah, people always complain it stops people from testing builds. That's just crazy, the people that want to test builds still will and the people who want to go to a site and find the best one still will.

I still like Retros idea he had that instead of paying for each respec you pay for a certain amount of respecs that way you can do it away from a city as well.

Achtius

Yeah, people always complain it stops people from testing builds. That's just crazy, the people that want to test builds still will and the people who want to go to a site and find the best one still will.

I still like Retros idea he had that instead of paying for each respec you pay for a certain amount of respecs that way you can do it away from a city as well.

or free and only at city/outpost. :p

ShaneB

The point is, how many gamers do you think look like an MMA Legend? And how is a MMA legend relevant to marketing a fantasy MMORPG? He's just there to 'beat up the nerds', basically, but I would wager most MMO players probably look like the guys in that video, sans costumes, of course.

It is an absolutely baffling marketing strategy, that much is obvious.

or free and only at city/outpost. :p

I think that was part of the idea of pay for a certain amount away from citites and then it's free when you are in one. That's a plan I can get behind. But besides that I think it's crazy to complain about costs to respec if it's not some outlandish price.

nataku

Yeah, but the fee for GW1 was way more restrictive than a simple gold fee.

GW1 worked like this, according to the wiki.

GW1 wiki said:
The Attribute Refunds system was an early mechanic, at the time the only way to redistribute your attribute points. Spending one refund allowed you to lower one attribute by one level; increasing an attribute was still free. One refund was gained for each 250 experience gained, and per mission completed (even after the first time). You could have a maximum of 24 attribute refunds at any time.

It really was a horrible system.

squidyj

Here's the items from the cash shop leak (SUBJECT TO CHANGE):

In short, gems are bought with real money. Gems can then be traded openly on the marketplace for in-game gold. You cannot buy Karma with gems or gold. Karma is a reward for participating in Dynamic Events/completing renowned hearts (traditional quest like system). Karma can buy items from those you have completed the heart quests for. They sell on-level gear (gear appropriate for that zone) and 5-level higher gear. The system is really designed to give you limitless choice of what you want to buy with the rewards you've earned.

Also, there are tokens that you get for completing the dungeons in the game. Your first token will come from beating the story mode, and the others will all come from beating the repeatable mode (hard mode) of the dungeon. These don't have any better stats than other gear, they just look aesthetically different.

I'd go into more detail, but I have a feeling in the time it took me to link all the cash shop images, Jira probably has a response 5x as long as mine ;)

I'm assuming those numbers aren't final because worse returns on bulk purchases kind of sucks. Unless I'm an idiot and reading it wrong. Which is probably what is going on. lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, but the fee for GW1 was way more restrictive than a simple gold fee.

GW1 worked like this, according to the wiki.

It really was a horrible system.
I never had any issues with it as I didn't fully respec that often at all. By the time I would have noticed I was out of refund points the system was dropped.

Arken2121

Lets just let all of the players and media do all the talking for Anet. It's done such a wonderful job hyping up the game and it's cost them close to nothing to do it. I don't think we'll see any commercials and light banner advertising if any on gaming sites. The upcoming BWE's will do all the talking and the hype meter will increase dramatically.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Heh, similar feeling for myself and my girlfriend. I have that same mag too. We took the approach that we weren't even going to pay any attention to the game (AT ALL) until we knew the release date. I really know very little about it still but we already bought it so we're looking forward to being surprised when the beta starts.

That is a strange marketing campaign. Especially the way he keeps saying "MMO" as a vast majority of 'gamers' that I know still don't understand the phrase, it's not as common as FPS, Action, or RPG.

I won't say that is a terrible ad, but beating up the nerds when promoting a game that is most likely going to be populated by them seems odd. I think they are trying to say that MMO's aren't just for nerds but (weird to say this) a youtube comment actually had a great point of where "MMO's aren't really just for nerds" (not verbatim) anymore, let alone games.

Either way, I hope Guild Wars 2 gets Shaq and Hologram Tupac to do a rap in their commercial.

GrizzNKev

Banned
That is a strange marketing campaign. Especially the way he keeps saying "MMO" as a vast majority of 'gamers' that I know still don't understand the phrase, it's not as common as FPS, Action, or RPG.

I won't say that is a terrible ad, but beating up the nerds when promoting a game that is most likely going to be populated by them seems odd. I think they are trying to say that MMO's aren't just for nerds but (weird to say this) a youtube comment actually had a great point of where "MMO's aren't really just for nerds" (not verbatim) anymore, let alone games.

Either way, I hope Guild Wars 2 gets Shaq and Hologram Tupac to do a rap in their commercial.

Personally, I'd like to see a hologram Tupac + Hatsune Miku collaboration.

demonkaze

I've been wondering if a laptop that can run The Old Republic on low-med settings will run this game at all? I'm hovering over the buy button right now but this is the only thing bothering me.

ShaneB

I've been wondering if a laptop that can run The Old Republic on low-med settings will run this game at all? I'm hovering over the buy button right now but this is the only thing bothering me.

I was always under the assumption that TOR was pretty system intensive, which is certainly backwards thinking when you want a pc mmo to reach massive numbers.

Anet is doing everything they can to make sure it runs on everthing, so if you indeed can run TOR, I would not worry about GW2 at all.

GrizzNKev

Banned

This game should perform much better than TOR. Or at least, we expect it to. It's hard to make accurate judgement right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom