• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah that TOR engine really needs some optimizing. Go watch some warzone footage...it's sad really how little that engine can do. Why did they go with that engine for an MMO is beyond me.

TOR Engine is absolute shit. It's a poorly designed engine in the first place. It's horribly optimized. Why it's so freaking technically intensive despite the graphics not being that fantastic is beyond me. Everything from a technical standpoint reeks of laziness and lack of talent from the development team.

Vano

Much love my brothers <3 thanks for the text/pics and dayum, that pic of LA <3

Hyping like crazy now, wont sleep at all playing it * -*

Gaming Age Force are go!

Retro

Boo weekends only lol...wish they ran the beta up till release for people who actually purchased it.

ArenaNet actually uses Beta Tests for testing, rather than a free trial or marketing ploy like most MMOs do before launch. The short window in which we get to play it means there's a large window in which they can fix any issues that come up as a result.

kayos90

ArenaNet actually uses Beta Tests for testing, rather than a free trial or marketing ploy like most MMOs do before launch. The short window in which we get to play it means there's a large window in which they can fix any issues that come up as a result.

Yeah. They don't want to manage both a beta and code at the same time. It's inefficient. Let the beta run over the weekend and do coding during the week/rest.

Retro

TOR Engine is absolute shit. It's a poorly designed engine in the first place. It's horribly optimized. Why it's so freaking technically intensive despite the graphics not being that fantastic is beyond me. Everything from a technical standpoint reeks of laziness and lack of talent from the development team.

HeroEngine was outdated before it was even released. Bioware basically used off-the-shelf components rather than make their own to get the game out ASAP and it shows in nearly every facet of the game. <Insert Miyamoto quote here>

Yeah. They don't want to manage both a beta and code at the same time. It's inefficient. Let the beta run over the weekend and do coding during the week/rest.

I would imagine a lot of the technical staff is there to manage any hiccups in the game and the design staff is there to hang out in game and answer questions. Maybe not so much in this Beta, but in previous Betas they had the press in their "Heroes of Tyria" guild and were leading people into dungeons and showing them around. Design team will probably just be looking at feedback. I know If I were in their shoes, I'd just wander around the game world anonymously and listen to the buzz.

Jira

In celebration of my favorite city being in the Beta, here's my favorite screenshot and a bit of info about it:

See those blue wave looking canopies? That's the trade district of LA and if you were to view them from above and the wind was blowing, the canopies would look like waves crashing into the shore. It's a small touch but fits the entire water/port theme of the city so well that it has stood out to me.

pRxBK.jpg

Retro

For those involved in the Podcast: We're aiming for ~10 PM Tonight.

From Twitter:
We're still working on bringing the blog back online. FYI the start of the Beta Weekend Event is April 27 at noon PDT (GMT-7), not -8

That's 3PM Eastern Time. Hype!

See those blue wave looking canopies? That's the trade district of LA and if you were to view them from above and the wind was blowing, the canopies would look like waves crashing into the shore. It's a small touch but fits the entire water/port theme of the city so well that it has stood out to me.

Yeah, they described that part in Ghosts of Ascalon and it sounded really cool. Glad to see it's actually pretty close to what I had imagined.

kayos90

For those involved in the Podcast: We're aiming for ~10 PM Tonight.

From Twitter:

That's 3PM Eastern Time. Hype!

Yeah, they described that part in Ghosts of Ascalon and it sounded really cool. Glad to see it's actually pretty close to what I had imagined.

so that's basically 9PM for me. Right?

Alright, my orders keep getting canceled from stores I try to order. Anybody still knows a site that sells the Guild Wars 2 Collectors Edition? Probably not, and then I will buy the standard edition.

EDIT: Must ship to the Netherlands.

Retro

so that's basically 9PM for me. Right?

If you're Central time, yes. You're an hour behind the East Coast. 1 ahead of Mountain, 2 ahead of Pacific.

Alright, my orders keep getting canceled from stores I try to order. Anybody still knows a site that sells the Guild Wars 2 Collectors Edition? Probably not, and then I will buy the standard edition.

Where are you located? If you're in the US, try Gamestop, they're the only ones (reliably) handling the CE Pre-purchase. You are about a week late though, so there may not be any left. ANet said they were fairly limited, the best estimate we've mentioned was something like 10-20k.

If you're Central time, yes. You're an hour behind the East Coast. 1 ahead of Mountain, 2 ahead of Pacific.

Where are you located? If you're in the US, try Gamestop, they're the only ones (reliably) handling the CE Pre-purchase. You are about a week late though, so there may not be any left. ANet said they were fairly limited, the best estimate we've mentioned was something like 10-20k.

Netherlands, I know, I keep trying to place orders on sites. But it seems I keep coming too late and sites keep cancelling my orders.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In celebration of my favorite city being in the Beta, here's my favorite screenshot and a bit of info about it:

Holy god that's fucking gorgeous.

That's definitely an in-game shot, not a concept?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My word. Don't know how I missed those thus far. I guess I thought they were keeping it under wraps til the beta.

Just prepurchased the standard digital edition!

I just got to the "Display name" part of the registration process. That's not the name I'll be using in the actual game, right?

Retro

My word. Don't know how I missed those thus far. I guess I thought they were keeping it under wraps til the beta.

Nah, that's a pretty old video (well, in terms of the internet, not GW2's development).

Aside from looking gorgeous, I also like how crowded it looks. There's kids running all over the place, merchants wandering the streets... coming from MMOs where the only people living in a city are bank alts and the occasional NPC or scripted pack of wandering children, it's nice to see a city that actually looks like people live there.

Just prepurchased the standard digital edition!

I just got to the "Display name" part of the registration process. That's not the name I'll be using in the actual game, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's displayed. I seem to recall reading that the friends list displays people by account, not their character, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Yeah, just forums and account management, as Grizz says below.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah, that's a pretty old video (well, in terms of the internet, not GW2's development).

Aside from looking gorgeous, I also like how crowded it looks. There's kids running all over the place, merchants wandering the streets... coming from MMOs where the only people living in a city are bank alts and the occasional NPC or scripted pack of wandering children, it's nice to see a city that actually looks like people live there.
They should sell an item in the cash shop that lets you become a disembodied, no-clipping camera so you can float around and shoot videos like that. So stunning.
3 PM eastern? Nice, now im not so upset that I couldn't get friday off. :lol
I may or may not be logging in remotely and creating my character before going home :x

Jira

Thanks! :)

Registration complete. Now the wait to BWE begins.

Planning on using the $20 saved from the deluxe (and more maybe lol) on gems and such.

I think this is what a lot of people are doing and I have to wonder if ANet intentionally made the deluxe meh worthy in terms of value so that people would say "Well, I'll just spend the money I would have spent on Gems." ANet wins either way.

They should sell an item in the cash shop that lets you become a disembodied, no-clipping camera so you can float around and shoot videos like that. So stunning.

I may or may not be logging in remotely and creating my character before going home :x

It's right when I get off so needless to say, I will be finding a way to duck out a little early.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think this is what a lot of people are doing and I have to wonder if ANet intentionally made the deluxe meh worthy in terms of value so that people would say "Well, I'll just spend the money I would have spent on Gems." ANet wins either way.
Didn't think of that, was planning on spending the money on Gems, have been mindfucked

edit: Though I do want that damn Mistfire Wolf. I love elite skills and wanna catch 'em all.

Jira

When can we access account management and the forums?

I'm new here (in this thread), but I have pre-purchased and got the e-mail and everything.

They're currently being worked on, the forums will obviously be up prior to the BWE so we can leave feedback.

DJIzana

I definitely want to explore the towns & the pvp for the beta event I think... that'll be where my focus lies. I'm pretty set on my classes / races that I want to make, thankfully.

ShaneB

Well dammit... I may have to skip going to the gym on Friday after work. Maybe not though, maybe by the time I get the initial roll out hiccups won't be crazy. Sad there's no Asura though :(

Complistic

I'll be honest, I'm probably going to stick to wvw and pvp in the beta as to not spoil the experience when the game goes full. That's not to say I won't be running around the cities and doing a few events.

I'll be honest, I'm probably going to stick to wvw and pvp in the beta as to not spoil the experience when the game goes full. That's not to say I won't be running around the cities and doing a few events.

That's a good way to go about it. Exploring cities should be fun, and I'm with you on the PvP. May as well save the PvE experience and practice some WvW stuff before the big launch.

Complistic

The DD edition doesn't really seem worth it. Someone a while back posted that they'd rather buy 2 additional character slots than have a miniature and an elite skill for that $20.

Think im going to do something similar.

Trey

The DD edition doesn't really seem worth it. Someone a while back posted that they'd rather buy 2 additional character slots than have a miniature and an elite skill for that $20.

Think im going to do something similar.

It isn't worth it to me, either. GW is one of those properties where I buy the Collector's Edition because I enjoy the franchise so much I reward the devs. But the DD and CE are very disappointing to me. I pre-purchased the Standard and will probably buy some gems to show my appreciation.

Retro

Didn't think of that, was planning on spending the money on Gems, have been mindfucked

edit: Though I do want that damn Mistfire Wolf. I love elite skills and wanna catch 'em all.

I went back and forth on whether to spring for the CE or just go Standard for a while (and if you're bored/masochistic enough, you can actually follow my waffling in this very thread), but in the end I just had to go for it. I may not have much use for a statue, I may only read the Making Of... book a handful of times, and I may look at the art prints if I ever get around to hanging them up. But I won't ever have to worry that I missed out on something that I may appreciate more than I know.

I'm new here (in this thread), but I have pre-purchased and got the e-mail and everything.

Welcome to the party.

• Community thread is here.
  • GAF presence in game will be "Gaming Age Force [GAF]", feel free to invite non-GAFfers.
  • For the BWE we'll be trying to get on the same server. Everyone playing should head to the first "G" named server, or the next letter alphabetically. (e.g. If there is a GA and GE server, go GA. If there is no "G" server, go H > I > J and so on...)
  • Read Jira's awesome Mass Info dump here.
  • GW2GAF Podcasts are here: (1)(2), should be recording a new one tonight.

I think my wife and I are planning to roll Norn, as we want to keep the Human starting experience fresh. However, knowing us, we'll both be rolling humans before the end of the first day.

Going to be fun waking up at 5am on a Saturday morning.

You won't have to wake up at 5am if you never go to bed.
bFOAP.gif

Edit: Holy shit, I just noticed he's smoking. Awesome.

Thats pretty much my plan too.

Are there skill point challenges in wvw? I know you can level up entirely in wvw without ever doing pve content, but I dont think I have seen anything about aquiring skill points in wvw. I would assume so....

Retro

Are there skill point challenges in wvw? I know you can level up entirely in wvw without ever doing pve content, but I dont think I have seen anything about aquiring skill points in wvw. I would assume so....

From the WvW AMA on Reddit:

Q: Can you earn skill points to unlock new skills in wvw?

A: Yes, you can progress any aspects of your character through WvW.

Source: Jira actually sifted through the terrible formatting of Reddit and compiled everything into a Google Doc, which you can read here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gIoqsXQJ-zGhIeEgMw28MLc5i-T1gijkGDsEohiw2x8/edit?pli=1

Mulligan

Banned

That's my plan too, although i will probably give in to temptation..

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What is this skill calculator mentioned on the last page, I somehow missed that. Anyone mind linking it again? My body is ready for more sensory overload.

Also, the beta-text makes it sound like you'll only be able to do Cities, PvP and WvW, so no PvE/free roaming/dynamic events at all? Or am I misreading? Looks like they're only testing PvP balance this weekend, maybe other weekends will include sth totally different?

DJIzana

What is this skill calculator mentioned on the last page, I somehow missed that. Anyone mind linking it again? My body is ready for more sensory overload.

Also, the beta-text makes it sound like you'll only be able to do Cities, PvP and WvW, so no PvE/free roaming/dynamic events at all? Or am I misreading? Looks like they're only testing PvP balance this weekend, maybe other weekends will include sth totally different?

This one?

http://www.gw2tools.com/

Great news! I'll probably play a Norn or Charr since I know I won't be playing those as any of my starting characters when 'it gets real' (probably going human or Sylvari).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom