• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I can't stress this enough. The gaming press fucking suck at video games. Take their impressions on gameplay and tactics with a mine of salt.

This needs to be quoted.

I'm just satisfied with the fact we got more media to drool at, press people sucking it up won't drain my hype.

TheYanger

Definitely feel a Dark Age of Camelot vibe in the WvW pvp. The problem with that is, the side that always won was the group that had the most amount of people in their "zerg". No matter how skilled 50 ppl will be, you will always get steamrolled if you run across 100 ppl. Pretty much, if you want to have all these bonuses, figure out what server/side has the most people. I hope it doesn't work that way.

DAoC was never like that, the skilled groups could take out huge zergs with ease.

game looks awesome, it's funny to see all of the mesmer complaints on here and guru and stuff. It's been apparant since the reveal exactly how the class was going to work. There's no energy so you can't sit there stealing it and doing stuff based on it, there's no hard CC...The mesmer is going to definitely be a class for a skilled player using the illusions to actually have to feint and mislead your opponents, mind games for real. Or just go with the staff and throw conditions around like nobody's business. Seems like a cool class.

Trey

El Mundo contra Mundo video is so hype.

The rest is either old, uninteresting, or Mesmer bulltshit. Shame there are no Elementalist focused videos.

The emote and character creation videos are appreciated, as well.

there's no hard CC...

I saw some attacks that bound players in purple chains. I think that counts.

Vano

El Mundo contra Mundo video is so hype.

The rest is either old, uninteresting, or Mesmer bulltshit. Shame there are no Elementalist focused videos.

The emote and character creation videos are appreciated, as well.

Yeah >:[, damm press not playing Elementalist. Tho i saw the new elite skill of elementalist in the IGN WvW video, the fire elemental <3, so nice.

well they got rid of the mana resource so there goes half the skills mesmer used in gw1

yeah, and considering they also got rid of active interrupts, and hexes entirely... another 40% goes down the sink.

Really don't liking the mesmer so far, it was so unique and fun to use in GW1, now the only cool and interesting mechanic I see is the "portal" one (which has nothing mesmerish btw)

Retro

Doesn't really make a difference though. There were plenty drops in the IGN video for WvW (they even commented on it) and you would expect them not to have a large media outlet have "specs" issues.

Fact: IGN is terrible.

From what I've seen, the skills that can actually immobilize are very short duration. The Guardian skill that sounds similar to that only lasts for 4 seconds. There's CC in there (after all, that's what they've renamed tanking; "Control"), but none of it looks to be the kind of fire-and-forget stuff that WoW had (keeping adds and such locked down for the entire fight, etc.). Gonna need to be mobile, alert and quick on the draw with CC in GW2, from the looks of things.

nataku

I don't know why more server based MMOs don't do this.

Martin Kerstein said:
I see some of you concentrate on the really important stuff.

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1128627&postcount=346

Vano

UGLpo.jpg
/

Jira

Very true but I have not seen a WvW without significant FPS drops. Just watch the 45min WvW video. During the large scale fights, the frame-rate looks to be in the 20s at best.

Yeah, it wasn't unplayable, but not optimal either. They know they need to optimize as much as possible and it doesn't help that there's no drivers made for the game yet. We're probably 4 months from launch so I'd expect a big optimization push within 1-2 months as things are finalized.

Do we have any idea how many players will be on each server? I hope there won't be huge queues to get into a WvW.

Also, are you only allowed to participate in one of the four WvW maps during each two week period?

Retro

The sliders are in there in a lot of videos, but I haven't seen eye color yet. Doesn't bother much very much; people either choose all black, all red, all blue, all green or all white. Maybe a couple pick brown. This way, the facial features can at least compliment the eye color somewhat.

Not a gamebreaker, but definitely something I noticed.

Don't see why they had to do that. I think it could have been adapted to suit the much more active gameplay of GW2.

Supposedly, to take out of the game those aspects that would hinder speed and flow of combats (and frustrate players).

Downside, for what I see, is button smashing and zerging, and I don't feel like it's an improvement really

Vano

If there's face selection, it definitely isn't the final version. We saw a demo with sliders that lets you fine tune the face and body.

Ya i know, i honestly don't care but i found funny the passion that he used in the post about that topic.

Jira

Do we have any idea how many players will be on each server? I hope there won't be huge queues to get into a WvW.

Also, are you only allowed to participate in one of the four WvW maps during each two week period?

No idea on overall server size, we do know that from an individual zone perspective ANet said that the amount of people that can fit into a single zone is large enough to the point where it won't reach the cap.

No, all 4 maps are part of one WvW battle, you can move between them at will.

Some pretty impressive stuff. The WvW vid was really fun to watch, hectic as hell! Game looks great. Performance will obviously get fixed seeing as pretty much everyone has stated issues. Some of the basic stuff like the Mesmer vid is boring as shit because it's nothing but an individual skill by skill showcase without any real combat. Shame there is no Asura or Sylvari footage but oh well.

Overall, the game shows huge promise, just iron out the performance issues and do a little touch ups here in there and this should be a great game.

Helmholtz

The framerate issues are extremely disappointing. I'm 99% sure they'll be fixed for release, but I can't say I'm not disappointed since I was looking forward to these videos.

Sophia

Jesus christ that IGN WvW video was just awful. It's like the dude has never played another game in his life.

I kept thinking to myself "YOU HAVE A GIANT FUCKING GREATSWORD AND YOU'RE STANDING AT RANGE. WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING?!" while watching it.... that's just... awful... wow.

Ashodin

Jesus christ that IGN WvW video was just awful. It's like the dude has never played another game in his life.

I kept thinking to myself "YOU HAVE A GIANT FUCKING GREATSWORD AND YOU'RE STANDING AT RANGE. WHAT. ARE. YOU. DOING?!" while watching it.... that's just... awful... wow.

don't watch ign stuff. simple

I like how there are only like 5 abilities on these characters and people are still clicking. :p

All my keys are getting rebound near WASD. I will be a BEAST.

I think it's pretty standard that gaming press don't actually play games on anything other than easy and will usually make even the best pc games look bad, that being said, look forward to Totalbuiscuits videos. That guy knows what he's doing. It's all I'm going to watch.

Sophia

I think it's pretty standard that gaming press don't actually play games on anything other than easy and will usually make even the best pc games look bad, that being said, look forward to Totalbuiscuits videos. That guy knows what he's doing. It's all I'm going to watch.

Yeah the Totalbiscuit videos should be good. We'll actually see something other than a moron trying to fight at range with a greatsword.

The IGN video is pretty good comedy tho, once you get past how horrifyingly bad it is. I mean, you KNOW what's gonna happen the moment he gets near the battle, and yet he's so oblivious. >_>

nataku

Totalbiscuit didn't get to actually play the game. He had some people on his staff do it because he was in Sweden or something from a gaming even going on.

TB said:
I am in the Guild Wars 2 beta and I have filming rights. The first beta (they do not have it up 24/7) is this weekend. Just my luck, I&#8217;m in Sweden, I can&#8217;t play, however I am having 2 of my team (Genna and Frank) go on a major filming spree.

mik83kuu

Banned
I am disappointed in how ugly the game looks both in graphical fidelity and animations. Does anyone have known videos of this game running with max settings? I could really use that right now... :-(

Orayn

1-5, Q, E, R, T, F, G, C, V, Shift + all of those, a few mouse binds.

Fuck yeah.

I'm thinking of going minimalist, I guess. Q, E, R, F, and T or G to replace 1-5, then a shift state for 6-0. Number keys have the privilege of replacing F1-whatever.

Ferny

I think also the IGN video was playing while talking which is hard no matter who you are. TB tends to record and then voiceover afterwards which tends to show much better on video.

Sophia

I think also the IGN video was playing while talking which is hard no matter who you are. TB tends to record and then voiceover afterwards which tends to show much better on video.

Even while talking the IGN player doesn't have much of an excuse for walking up to the enemy and standing there being a target. =p

Retro

Twitter said:
@cardboardbrad
@Totalbiscuit Any idea of what performance they got during the test? Some peoples content looks pretty low performance.

@Totalbiscuit
@cardboardbrad performance is fine for a beta, most people just have no idea how to make videos

He also mentions that he has over 90 gigabytes worth of encoded video waiting to be picked through.

No ETA on when his videos will be up, but he does say that "How much of it gets used remains to be seen. Shooting for quality rather than mindless nonsense".

Hoo-doo

Banned
Shame about the performance issues. I have faith they get fixed though.

I played it multiple times at Gamescom with tons of people on-screen at the Shatterer event, and it was buttery smooth at all times.

Retro

Read an article earlier today, I think it was Massively. It was mentioned that the press was asked not to use their own screenshots but ones provided by ANet because they didn't want a bunch of low-quality shit giving the haters fuel (like the leaks last night did).

Shame about the performance issues. I have faith they get fixed though.

I played it multiple times at Gamescom with tons of people on-screen at the Shatterer event, and it was buttery smooth at all times.

It's not optimized yet, there's still a lot of driver issues and such. As has been mentioned several times, Gaming sites don't always have the best hardware, almost always have the worst players (who are even worse when trying to narrate during play), and are also running capture software which has a negative effect on performance and quality.

Somebody like TotalBiscuit who puts these videos out all the time and knows what he's doing will inevitably show the game off the way it should be.

Retro

Very true. You've got 10 skills, 3-4 extras depending on your profession, and..? Potions and weapon sets, I guess.

Don't forget dodge (though you can double-tap the move buttons for that too, if you want)

I haven't seen anything mentioned about potions, but swapping weapon sets will definitely require a dedicated hotkey. A lot of the class-specific stuff is mapped to the Function keys (Thief's steal and Elementalist's elements are, from what I've seen. Guardian's virtues are probably the same).

If we had a realistic discussion in the last thread about mapping everything to a controller and almost got it to work, then the number of hotkeys you'll need compared to other MMOs is amazingly low (that's a good thing, so sick of "There's a game somewhere under this UI" syndrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom