• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

I've decided to use nothing but to use nothing but kit skills on my Engineer. I will be playing as Charr Mega Man.

I think so but I believe some armors will have benefits more suited to certain professions than others if I am not mistaken.

The armor's base stats will be pretty generic, so any class-relevant bonuses will probably come from runes you attach to it.

I did not know that. So elementalist mesmers and necromancers can wear the same outfits that look the same?

No one will look the same because equipment's appearance has little to do with its stats, and you can dye each part of your gear approximately a bazillion colors.

Grayman

very interesting. I thought the 3 classes of armor were just used to set the protection values and that armor would be profession specific like the first game were elementalist had 4 sets of armor and mesmers had 4 different sets.

Vinci

Danish
After further consideration, I believe my first character will be a Thief or Engineer. Really torn between those two.

Valnen

Does anyone know if Arenanet plans on supporting this game via content patches and the like? That can make or break an MMO. MMO's need content patches to be worth it.
Gear isn't restricted by profession, but rather class. Adventurer, Scholar, and some other one which escapes me at the moment that includes the Warrior and Guardian.
That's...odd. But okay. It's difficult finding information like this on the game.

Trey

Does anyone know if Arenanet plans on supporting this game via content patches and the like? That can make or break an MMO. MMO's need content patches to be worth it.

There will be obvious patches to fix errors and bugs, but new content will most likely follow the GW1 campaign expansion model.

Orayn

That's....bad. There were only 3 expansions for Guild Wars. That's not enough content for an MMO.

Guild Wars would have gotten more expansions, but ArenaNet changed their plans after Nightfall and opted to do one last expansion-only campaign. All the rest of their resources went into GW2.

What Trey meant was that there would be retail/digital expansions that add new campaigns to the game. I'd wager there will be free content patches as well.

Trey

That's....bad. There were only 3 expansions for Guild Wars. That's not enough content for an MMO.

I said content model. And the last one came out in 2007, which was when Anet shifted their focus on developing GW2. At the time, WoW only had one expansion out, if memory serves correctly.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I've narrowed it down, either Human/Mesmer or Ranger, Norn/Guardian, Charr/Warr or Engineer, Sylvari/Ele or Necro, and Asura/Ele or Theif.

Im gonna buy extra character slots arn't i :(

Valnen

I said content model. And the last one came out in 2007, which was when Anet shifted their focus on developing GW2. At the time, WoW only had one expansion out, if memory serves correctly.

I'm just...nervous about the long term support of this game. I have to get it because I have friends that will be playing it, but I'll be pissed if it only gets 2 or 3 expansions and they just abandon the game for some other project.

Trey

That's...odd. But okay. It's difficult finding information like this on the game.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME

I'm just...nervous about the long term support of this game. I have to get it because I have friends that will be playing it, but I'll be pissed if it only gets 2 or 3 expansions and they just abandon the game for some other project.

No need. Anet is backing GW2 for the long haul. And even then, you'll more than get you sixty bucks worth.

Orayn

ArenaNet's a hell of a lot bigger now than when they were working on the original Guild Wars, so I'd expect their ability to produce new content to increase accordingly. Again, GW only stopped getting expansions because GW2 has been the only thing ArenaNet has been working on since late 2007.

nataku

Don't be. Factions released April 2006, Nightfall was October 2006 and Eye of the North was August 2007. GW2 was announced the same time EotN was announced, in March 2007.

Like has been said, the only reason they stopped was because of GW2. The things they wanted to do really needed a new game. Their team is much, much bigger now and they can release new content a lot faster than with GW1.

I have no idea what business model they'll use, but I'm expecting a mix of free content patches and paid expansions. They've already said they'll be slipping in dynamic events with patches without telling players so they discover new content.

Jira

They've said they'll be using the traditional expansion model, campaigns won't work for GW2. Also, they said they already have a live team and expansion team setup with the first 2 expansions roughed out. They've also said they're so proficient with their toolkit that they can pump out events in a matter of 6 hours - 2 days depending on testing. They also said that they won't even tell us when they'll put some or maybe any events in as they want them to be a surprise.

Oh and also, ANet had about 6 people in 2000, 30 in 2005, 70 in 2007, and 250+ now. Their team is huge in comparison now, yet with anywhere between 30-70 people they produced 2 campaigns and an expansion in the time Blizzard could put out 1 expansion. They also produced about 11 holiday events and a ton of large content updates. GW1 actually just got the last part of the Winds of Change content arc a few weeks ago and a huge Elementalist balance patch when the GW1 team is ~10 people now? They've continued to produce content, balance, and update GW1 4-5 years after moving to GW2. Now just imagine the support they'll give to GW2 seeing as that's the game they wanted to build. GW: Utopia is what GW2 was supposed to be, but they wanted to change so much they figured they should just make a new game so people could continue playing GW1 without any drastic changes.

Valnen

Don't be. Factions released April 2006, Nightfall was October 2006 and Eye of the North was August 2007. GW2 was announced the same time EotN was announced, in March 2007.

Like has been said, the only reason they stopped was because of GW2. The things they wanted to do really needed a new game. Their team is much, much bigger now and they can release new content a lot faster than with GW1.

I have no idea what business model they'll use, but I'm expecting a mix of free content patches and paid expansions. They've already said they'll be slipping in dynamic events with patches without telling players so they discover new content.

Okay. The bolded pretty much has me sold. I don't really need anything on the level of WoW patches, just something that shows the developers still care about the game and are supporting it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem like very many people in here are playing Guild Wars right now.

Jira

I think so but I believe some armors will have benefits more suited to certain professions than others if I am not mistaken.

From what we've seen there isn't any real static bonuses of that sort, all bonuses(runes) can be removed and put into other gear if you wish.

Jira

Guy on reddit took the time to do this after reading the whole hearts being their own separate 657 pieces of content not tied to the 1,500+ dynamic events:

I want to put this into perspective -

At launch, WoW had 787 quests. Each faction had only 529 of those quests available to them.

• If you just count hearts, you already beat a single faction's quests: there are 657 hearts currently in the beta build.
  • If you count skill point events (there are 202 of them right now), that makes 859, which is more than Vanilla WoW had at launch.
  • If you count dynamic events (at least 1,500), then you have 2,359. This rivals the number of quests added to the entirety of WoW when WotLK came out for a single faction.
  • This 2,359 does not include personal storyline quests.
  • This also does not include daily and monthly achievements.
For the completionist amongst us, we have all these hearts, skill points, dynamic events, storyline quests... and then, on top of that, daily and monthly achievements, account-based achievements, mini-pet collecting, guild-building (your guild can pretty much "level up" from upgrades), crafting maximization, asura waypoint discoveries, weapon skill unlocking (which admittedly takes little time), 32 dungeon run-throughs (there were 37 for WoW at launch, but some of those are just continuations of a dungeon), over 400 dyes to unlock...

Then there's all the non-completionist stuff, like an entire WvW system, structured PvP with hot-joining and competitive play, mini-games...

This game will be HUGE

I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't seem like very many people in here are playing Guild Wars right now.

I bought GW trilogy + EotN last summer during the steam sale. After several aborted attempts to play it since then...the game finally clicked with me about 3 weeks ago. Been working my way through Nightfall on my dervish and having a lot of fun, albiet entirely solo.

I have unlocked two heroes for my HoM (though MOX is a given lol).

I have set a goal of hitting 10 points in HoM which I think should be doable.

Jira

Oddly, it took me 3 tries for it to click and it took a friend of mine 3 tries for it to click. I still remember where it was when it happened though. I was on my Ranger over in The Breach in Ascalon, I zoned in and there was that group of 3-4 Charr to the right and it was then I realized just how good the combat was, that it was far more intricate and deeper than any other MMO I'd ever played (and this was in 2011). I was blown away that starting there at level 8, every fight was going to take my full attention. I was an amazing shift I'll never forget.

Klyka

Banned

It has no subscription fee, who cares how long they support it.

KaoticBlaze

Guy on reddit took the time to do this after reading the whole hearts being their own separate 657 pieces of content not tied to the 1,500+ dynamic events:

o_0.... O.....M.....G.....WOW i knew this game was huge but holy crap this is just massive.....i have no words to describe the level of excitement i am currently at with this game, especially after reading that o_0

/drool

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oddly, it took me 3 tries for it to click and it took a friend of mine 3 tries for it to click. I still remember where it was when it happened though. I was on my Ranger over in The Breach in Ascalon, I zoned in and there was that group of 3-4 Charr to the right and it was then I realized just how good the combat was, that it was far more intricate and deeper than any other MMO I'd ever played (and this was in 2011). I was blown away that starting there at level 8, every fight was going to take my full attention. I was an amazing shift I'll never forget.

It took me three tries as well, although this was a much longer time ago. I got the trial version of Factions and played through the starter area solo. It was sort of enjoyable but it didn't quite work for me. I played as a ranger then.

The second time, my friend allowed me to use his account to give Factions another go. I made it to the mainland as a warrior, got through a few missions, and stopped playing because he wanted his account back. It was fun and I was enticed to buy it but didn't think it was all that great.

I bought Prophecies, settled into the hammer warrior tanking role, found myself in a friendly and supportive guild, and got hooked. I didn't stop until I finished EotN.

Dreavus

Haha, well, I had myself all hyped up several months ago, got to 30 points in the Hall of Monuments for full rewards, then stopped again. Skill capping the entirety of Nightfall got tedious quite quickly.

I'm considering going for 35 points for a slightly more unique title (since I figure many people are going to stop at 30 points like I did), but I just don't have the time right at this moment. Maybe in a few months...

The things I'd need to do for those last 5 points are a little excessive, though: at least 2 more prestige armor sets, 2 more weapons to display with one of them being from the Realm of Torment (if i can't get a torment one, then it's 8 more weapons), 4 more "honor statues" which is harder than it sounds considering what I have left (I'd probably have to resort to *shudder* legendary cartographer), and finishing off the companion display with 10 more hero statues including the black widow which I'd have to go hunt down in the underworld.

Yeah it's a little tough to find motivation to go back for that. We'll see how I feel the closer GW2 gets to release, however...

It took me three tries as well, although this was a much longer time ago. I got the trial version of Factions and played through the starter area solo. It was sort of enjoyable but it didn't quite work for me. I played as a ranger then.

The second time, my friend allowed me to use his account to give Factions another go. I made it to the mainland as a warrior, got through a few missions, and stopped playing because he wanted his account back. It was fun and I was enticed to buy it but didn't think it was all that great.

I bought Prophecies, settled into the hammer warrior tanking role, found myself in a friendly and supportive guild, and got hooked. I didn't stop until I finished EotN.

Interesting. My journey playing GW1 is really weird. Firstly, I got a few friends and I into the game about 6 months after it came out, despite being hyped for a time up until it's release (mostly because of the "no fees" thing. Still a deciding factor even today!) Sadly, my motivation waned after creating a few alts before getting through the jungle in prophecies. I think post-searing Ascalon was depressing me, like some Seasonal Affective Disorder shit or something, having to go through that wasteland multiple times in a row. When Factions came out, my buddy and I both made assassins and were promptly shunned from many pick up groups in our travels trying to beat that game. We both ended up skipping nightfall, since we weren't interested in the new classes and figured we were happy enough with our alliance battles.

And after playing through Nightfall more recently, BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Probably the best campaign out of the first 3 games. Not sure if it beats out EotN though.

Then Guildwars kinda fell off the map for me until I found eye of the north on sale somewhere. Got a copy for my brother to drag him back into the game, and that really reignited my love for the game. EotN was very well done, loved the dungeons and the story missions, and the whole thing wasn't too long. Picked up Nightfall afterwards and the rest is history. Needless to say, can't wait for GW2. :)

Coxswain

Honestly, speed was never really an issue with GW1 in terms of how fast content was coming out.
It took them a year after Prophecies released before Factions came out (although Sorrow's Furnace was added at the 6-month mark and it was a reasonably substantial update considering that it didn't cost anything), but after that, their schedule (that they were able to stick to, just fine) was one Factions/Nightfall-sized expansion every six months (which you pointed out, but is worth underlining, because it's easy to forget now that GW1 has been mostly static for 5 years). If they hadn't decided that the GW1 engine was too limited for what they really wanted to do, they could have kept that up for years. That was an insane rate of content generation, and was at least on par with the best of traditional subscription-based MMORPGs.

GW2 is not necessarily GW1, and it's entirely likely that content generation will take somewhat longer for the more detailed, complex style of game world, but I don't think anybody is going to be starved for content - especially considering that having your level scaled down to be appropriate to whatever zone you're in means that when they do release a significant expansion, you don't run into the problem where 50% of it is immediately obsolete to your already-high-leveled characters.

(If you actually look up some interviews and articles that were released when GW1 was still a couple years away from release, you can actually see that the first few years of GW1's development were devoted specifically to developing in-house tools that would allow them to create new content as quickly and efficiently as humanly possible. It's my understanding that a lot of GW Prophecies (in terms of levels with art assets, etc) didn't really even exist until the last, say, 18 months of development. If nothing else, ArenaNet is incredibly smart when it comes to making the development process smooth and speedy.)

Sent

didn't really even exist until the last, say, 18 months of development. If nothing else, ArenaNet is incredibly smart when it comes to making the development process smooth and speedy.)

The game changed drastically from alpha to beta to release, was like night and day.

Jira

The game changed drastically from alpha to beta to release, was like night and day.

Take a look at these:

This is GW1 3 years into development (Alpha):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJn9GhF8TI0

This is a GW1 trailer in 2005 for launch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0N2t8BdDCo

This is GW2 3 years into development (Alpha):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh1OHBI4uM

Staggering what they accomplished in the same timeframe as their original GW1 alpha for a new game.

Coxswain

Yeah, I was in the closed test from about October 2004 through to about the first third or so of Nightfall testing. That was long after the most drastic visual changes took place (it looked like it currently does instead of the 2003 version), but the number of huge, sweeping system changes that took place even in the last six months before Prophecies was released was absolutely staggering.

Jira

Rune of the Golemancer
[1] +2% Critical Damage.
[2] +15 Precision.
[3] +3% Critical Damage.
[4] +35 Precision.
[5] +5% Critical Damage.
[6] 5% Chance to summon a Golem when hit. (Cooldown: 90s)

Lol, oh man.

Jira

I wonder if Guardian or Engineer will be the least played class.

Maybe even Necromancer.

Based on what ANet said, Engineer and Necromancer were the 2 least played classes from the beta weekend. I don't see why I mean the Engineer is extremely versatile and the Necromancer is a beast with many varying playstyles and an awesome oh shit button (Death Shroud).

I think the Guardian is going to be overplayed, but only some will be able to use it to the full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom