• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

Nope, quickest way to swap out weapons is bring up your hero panel and just drag or right click and equip them. For Traits you just click a major trait and change it out.

mMgUP.jpg

How about pressing the "swap" icon to the left of your first skill? It switches between your two currently equipped weapon sets.

Jira

mMgUP.jpg

How about pressing the "swap" icon to the left of your first skill? It switches between your two currently equipped weapon sets.

I'm pretty sure he meant like sets. For example:

Set 1 - Sword/Shield + Greatsword

Set 2 - Torch/Focus + Hammer

I think he was asking if you could quickly swap between 2 entire sets like that. I may have misunderstood him.

r4z4

mMgUP.jpg

That's fine for switching weapons. But we are discussing the ability to swap between entire builds (weapon set, utility skills, and traits). Would only be possible out of combat obviously, and apparently it was in GW1. Would be a lovely 'nice to have' feature.

Edit - ^ What Jira said :p

XeroSauce

Thanks all. I can live without a build switching mechanism. But wanting to roll an elementalist I just think my selection of traits would vastly differ depending on whether I was going with daggers or a staff.

Wow, have not been paying that much attention to Guardians but this looks amazing. Hammers FTW.

I love how strong the Hammer looks and sounds. I also love the FusRoDah/HomeRun-esque Banish and the Cataclysm arena you can make. Those sound amazing for PvP.

Orayn

I'm pretty sure he meant like sets. For example:

Set 1 - Sword/Shield + Greatsword

Set 2 - Torch/Focus + Hammer

I think he was asking if you could quickly swap between 2 entire sets like that. I may have misunderstood him.

Oh, changing which sets you actually have equipped? Yeah, no hotkey for that yet. It'd be nice, though. Shift + Function keys maybe?

That's fine for switching weapons. But we are discussing the ability to swap between entire builds (weapon set, utility skills, and traits). Would only be possible out of combat obviously, and apparently it was in GW1. Would be a lovely 'nice to have' feature.

Edit - ^ What Jira said :p

Well the way you are describing it now, it isn't in GW1 like that. The F1-F4 was only to change weapons (maybe armour but I don't think so), but for sure you could not change your whole skill bar. You could change bars quickly in form of templates where you could save a bar and just reload it with a few clicks but you can only do that while in a city/outpost, not in an explorable area.

spirity

I've said this before, but I'm gonna say it again. The UI is, without a doubt, the best looking UI I've ever seen in an MMO. It looks clean and functional, there isn't 10 banks of abilities cluttering everything up, but it still has a pronounced artistic flair and its a pleasure to look at. Opening the world map looks cool, and going through the Hero screen and mousing over some of the options means a gradient-fill animation.

Somebody's put a lot of work into it, and I really appreciate the finesse and attention to detail. A thing of beauty.

abunai

I've been watching various videos over the past week, so very tempted to reinstall GW1. This looks incredibly fun. Best thing is the beta is meant to arrive right when my classes end, so I hope I get in (not so good for exam studying though).

Jira

I've said this before, but I'm gonna say it again. The UI is, without a doubt, the best looking UI I've ever seen in an MMO. It looks clean and functional, there isn't 10 banks of abilities cluttering everything up, but it still has a pronounced artistic flair and its a pleasure to look at. Opening the world map looks cool, and going through the Hero screen and mousing over some of the options means a gradient-fill animation.

Somebody's put a lot of work into it, and I really appreciate the finesse and attention to detail. A thing of beauty.

Yeah, they really put actual work into the UI, not only from a functionality standpoint, but aesthetically as well. They give you the info you need and nothing more, no focus on playing a bunch of UI elements rather than a game. It's easily one of the most beautiful and well thought out UIs in gaming.

Hydrogen

Banned
The only thing i do not like about this game are the running animations. There are many moments where characters seem to be sliding on the ground. Also, animations in general do not seem to blend well between each other. Thats a pity.

Yeah, the UI is awesome.

Oh, changing which sets you actually have equipped? Yeah, no hotkey for that yet. It'd be nice, though. Shift + Function keys maybe?

This is Anet, if the user base(QQ) ask for it, it will happen, the same way they cried for Shadow Form nerf because ectos was $3500...

Jira

The only thing i do not like about this game are the running animations. There are many moments where characters seem to be sliding on the ground. Also, animations in general do not seem to blend well between each other. Thats a pity.

Yeah, the UI is awesome.

They acknowledged this sometime last year and said they're working on it. I'd guess that they want to get all of the models absolutely finalized before making movement animation transitions. It honestly wouldn't make sense for all of their other animations to be so damn well done and then their movement transitions to be so disjointed. We'll have to see.

Retro

Well, its not like you really need much more than that, so im glad it looks basic and intuitive.

Nah, don't get me wrong, that Transmutation UI is fantastic. It doesn't need any flashy bells and whistles; it's all business. I'm just surprised by how basic it is, I guess I'm just used to overwrought UI design in MMOs. On that subject

I agree with all of this here; it is a perfect marriage of form and function with a very unique look. Sadly, it's one of those things that your average player just won't appreciate. Every little design choice in GW2's visual style seems to be crafted with such attention to detail and a unified vision, Daniel Dociu deserves some serious recognition for his role as art director.

What exactly are we still waiting on?

The gameplay seems to be pretty solid. The classes and abilities seem to be pretty fixed. The content seems to be there. Where exactly is the hold up at this point?

tl;dr: Why can't I buy this fucking game already?

Jira

Quick, someone post something they dislike about the game. This unanimous high praise is starting to scare me.

I uhhh some of the voice acting won't be as good as the 5 main characters and the profession voices....that's all I got. I've analyzed every system in the game and out of all of it the only thing I can come up with is essentially inconsistent VO quality, but that's to be expected given they have over 60 feature length films worth of it. You can only pay so much money for the best VO until you need to tone that down a bit.

The gameplay seems to be pretty solid. The classes and abilities seem to be pretty fixed. The content seems to be there. Where exactly is the hold up at this point?

Cause ANet won't release until they're happy, they don't have anyone breathing down their neck to release a WoW clone.

From the press beta reports it sounds like the only thing left is optimizations and some minor balancing (spell graphical effects).

Plus marketing.

Quick, someone post something they dislike about the game. This unanimous high praise is starting to scare me.

There are no PvP ranks/titles in the game yet (at least not for WvW - not sure about structured PvP), because they want to focus on core mechanics until launch.

Personally, I would consider individual rewards to go alongside the server wide ones to be pretty important and "core". So, that's bad, I guess.

I was very disappointed after reading this during the last reddit event.

Jira

There are no PvP ranks/titles in the game yet (at least not for WvW - not sure about structured PvP), because they want to focus on core mechanics until launch.

Personally, I would consider individual rewards to go alongside the server wide ones to be pretty important and "core". So, that's bad, I guess.

I was very disappointed after reading this during the last reddit event.

There are 32 sets of PvP gear for each armor class, so that's something at least. There are PvP titles through achievements as well.

So far there's multiple tiers for 6 sub categories, I'd wager at least 3 end in titles. Actually, who am I kidding I bet they all end in titles considering most probably require you to do 100k of whatever it is to max out.

Wallach

To be honest I'm not crazy about the class selection for some reason. I'm sure I'll find a class I like, but even the two that initially caught my eye have elements that turn me off at first glance.

It's not out yet?

In all seriousness I am not a big fan of the running on skates animation. It just makes it seem like they aren't actually on the terrain. I'm hoping it gets fixed, but if not I am sure I can get past it.

Jira

To be honest I'm not crazy about the class selection for some reason. I'm sure I'll find a class I like, but even the two that initially caught my eye have elements that turn me off at first glance.

Man, that's like the polar opposite of everyone else I've talked to. People love the professions so much that they have no idea what they want to play. I'm pretty deadset on a Guardian at this point, but who knows, I might like something more if/when I get into the beta.

Trey

Whew, thanks guys, I was starting to get worked up. Was gonna wait for gunbo to come through again and drop so reasonable but edgy opinions on the competitive direction of GW2.

Every thing that comes up is basically met with "oh shit, makes so much sense, hype." Or "why isn't this genre standard? Godtier." Art direction is lauded. UI praised. Content; immense. No sub. No skinner box design.

The first thing I disliked about GW2 during my lengthy time following it was potions and energy management. The first thing they do? Cut that shit completely. Joyous days.

Then I remembered my issue with the sylvari. Green humans. Boring. What do they do? Completely redesign them, and they look great.

Currently, I find the Mesmer underwhelming. I don't care so much, because Ele >>>, but still. To have only one real issue with a game this immense is unprecedented to me.

Too much hype. This has never happened to me before. Natural skepticism creeping.

I'm still bummed about Terraria being on permanent hold (I guess there's still talk that Redigit might come back to Terraria when his new kid is older), I spent so much time playing that game just digging around, building shit... I know there's at least a couple Terraria fans in this thread, I recognize their avatars.

Wait....what? I don't think I heard about this. Hadn't played in a while after the big update a while back. This sucks...

Midou

Late march was a lot earlier than I was expecting. I was thinking they would do like a month or two right before summer than maybe a week of open beta and launch in like june or july.

Wallach

Man, that's like the polar opposite of everyone else I've talked to. People love the professions so much that they have no idea what they want to play. I'm pretty deadset on a Guardian at this point, but who knows, I might like something more if/when I get into the beta.

That wouldn't surprise me. It's just one of those cases where the classes that I don't really have any theoretical issues with mechanically are the ones I'm not really that interested in playing. Like, I don't see anything about how the Warrior works that turns me off, but I can't honestly say I'm that interested in playing one either. When it comes to the classes that I do want to play, there's some element of the mechanics that sounds like I wouldn't enjoy. Like everything about the Necromancer sounds awesome except when I think about how the pets will work in PvP.

Jira

That wouldn't surprise me. It's just one of those cases where the classes that I don't really have any theoretical issues with mechanically are the ones I'm not really that interested in playing. Like, I don't see anything about how the Warrior works that turns me off, but I can't honestly say I'm that interested in playing one either. When it comes to the classes that I do want to play, there's some element of the mechanics that sounds like I wouldn't enjoy. Like everything about the Necromancer sounds awesome except when I think about how the pets will work in PvP.

You don't want to run a 10 pet MM build in PvP? Your enemies won't know what the hell to kill first lol.

Guesong

So...Engineer.

Them turrets.

Do we know if they have a limited range of fire, like a cone or something? Or do they fully rotate 360 degrees?

I know the Thumper Turret is AoE...but the what about the default Rifle Turret, how does it work!

Jira

I thought MM were capped at 5? (Based on what I've seen from the yogcast videos)

I swore I've seen someone say they can run 10, though I haven't looked into it myself. Maybe I will, brb.

So you can summon 7 minions and then with traits you have:

Reanimator Chance to summon a Jagged Horror whenever you kill an enemy. (minor)
Evasive Animation Summon a Jagged Horror when you dodge roll. (major)

So there's the possibility of 9 unless the Jagged Horror can't be summoned more than once, however, I don't think that's the case otherwise the major trait there would be useless as the minor trait is in the same line. So 9+ is a possibility.

Jira

So...Engineer.

Them turrets.

Do we know if they have a limited range of fire, like a cone or something? Or do they fully rotate 360 degrees?

I know the Thumper Turret is AoE...but the what about the default Rifle Turret, how does it work!

They can probably turn and fire at anyone within range.

Ashodin

Yeah, but GoT was out in the Spring, so you have no excuses! And heaven help you if you haven't seen Rome yet.

The couple that games together... um... stays lame together? I dunno where I'm heading with this, but I will say that despite having the outward appearance of an non-social activity (heck, our desks even face away from each other), sitting down to play an MMO together beats watching TV; at least we're sharing a hobby and interacting.

Preaching to the choir, man, I know all the sordid details to come out of Sigil. I always put more blame on McQuaid's inexperience as a leader than on his painkillers though. He seemed like the kind of guy who is great at coming up with ideas but really needs a structure to reign him in and keep him in reality. With VG, he didn't have that and it shows; lots of ambition, poor implementation.

But yeah, there are fewer things as amazing in my experiences with MMOs as sailing downriver in my wife's Qalian Sloop (The S.S. Salty Mouthful, I told you she had a sense of humor), out to sea to the little island we had our houses and Guild Hall on. It was amazing how much felt right in that game. I guess it's going to go Free to Play eventually, but I don't know if I have the heart to go back. Especially after GW2 will really change more at a fundamental level.

Actually, if you click on Media > Portrait Gallery, you can see my wife's character hoofing it along with me through thick and thin. She loved the Blood Mage class, just one of a hundred things Vanguard brought to the table.

No pictures of our houses, her boat or our guild hall though. It's a shame, I really decorated the hell out of that place.
I want to see those pix!

I swore I've seen someone say they can run 10, though I haven't looked into it myself. Maybe I will, brb.

So you can summon 7 minions and then with traits you have:

Reanimator Chance to summon a Jagged Horror whenever you kill an enemy. (minor)
Evasive Animation Summon a Jagged Horror when you dodge roll. (major)

So there's the possibility of 9 unless the Jagged Horror can't be summoned more than once, however, I don't think that's the case otherwise the major trait there would be useless as the minor trait is in the same line. So 9+ is a possibility.

Ok I'm seeing Bone fiend, Shadow Fiend, Bone Minions (up to 5 with trait?) and Flesh Wurm as Utility skill minions, Blood Fiend as your healing slot minions, Flesh golem as the elite slot minion, and Jagged Horrors when you are in Lich Form (up to 8 possible assuming there are corpses around).

So you're right, it is possible to have 10 minions up at once. 5 Bone Minions, 1 shadow fiend, 1 bone fiend, 1 blood fiend, and up to 8 more jagged horrors (highly unlikely but a guy can dream...) when you go lich, totaling to 16 minions (pve only) :D

nvm... found this quote disappointing quote
"In PvP, entering Lich Form destroys any active utility skill minions."
from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lich_Form
And it seems like you can only summon up to 8 Jagged Horrors, so 7-8 is max :/

I seriously cannot wait for this to come out so I can stop playing Guild Wars 1.

I just encountered the most broken thing ever today.

Playing as a Paragon/Warrior in Random Arena, enemy warrior is at less than %5 hp.

He proceeds to sidestep left to right constantly. For the next 30 seconds, all my attacks miss until I switch targets than we eventually lose.

I seriously hope this broken design doesn't make it into Guild Wars 2. The fact that all of my damage could be nullified just by tapping A and D repeatedly is infuriating.

Ashodin

So...Engineer.

Them turrets.

Fuckin turrets how do they work?

ShaneB

Agreeed. It will be glorious

Just realizing that all the games I've been playing over the past couple months have been these big sprawling rpgs, and while they've been awesome, it's just getting lonely dang it. I need co-op goodness and a more relaxed atmosphere.

I feel the same exact way. I wanna just chat it up with guildies and roll around wrecking things in WvW with about 40 gaffers.

Heh, yeah, that'll be fun times, especially knowing that any level can join and it's not just a race to end levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom