• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, we've yet to see a single Mesmer play at the full extent of what the class is capable of.

That pvp video a few pages back reassured me a lot. It showed that the possibility is there to really confuse people with those copies. I think I was just seeing too much greatsword gameplay videos.

I was also thinking those portals can add a lot of confusion as well. I haven't seen whether the enemie could see them but if they couldn't those could add some great pvp moments. A lot more use in a fight that way then just trying to sneak to an area and put it down to let your team through.

Engineer let's play from Gamestar (German)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R477SNEPwI

Is it me or does it look like the only time the pistol/riffle shoots is when you use the skills? Is weapon strength the damage amount or is that a number that is used to tell you when you need to repair your item?

In this video the weapon strength for the pistol was 110-130 something (when he was changing weapons I paused and looked at it), yet even shooting at low level monsters it was only doing 8 dmg. Did I miss something about how damage will work in GW2?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Killtenrats: In Diessa Plateau, there is the Flame Legion Battles meta-event, which are a chain of capture objectives between the allied charr and enemy Flame Legion. If players can push the Flame Legion all the way back, the Flame Legion actually open up a mini-dungeon called the Font of Rhand. Players can all enter this puzzle and trap-filled dungeon en masse. The open-world dungeon is closed unless the meta-event is beaten.

This is very awesome indeed.

Coxswain

I don't think anyone knows how stats will translate to damage in Guild Wars 2. It's unlikely to be nearly as simple as GW1, since GW2 has to deal with player HP ranges from about 500 all the way up to around 25,000.

Pat

Is it me or does it look like the only time the pistol/riffle shoots is when you use the skills? Is weapon strength the damage amount or is that a number that is used to tell you when you need to repair your item?

In this video the weapon strength for the pistol was 110-130 something (when he was changing weapons I paused and looked at it), yet even shooting at low level monsters it was only doing 8 dmg. Did I miss something about how damage will work in GW2?

Well I guess the enemies had something like 102-128 armor.

Maffis

Man, I can't decide which class to play. They all look so appealing. Maybe not so much the Warrior class but everything else.

gunbo13

Lies! I picked a guardian when it was taboo! But they look really cool. So many of the classes though have some cool abilities. This is one game where I would really want to try different classes often.
I picked guardian before they were even announced.
To be fair, we've yet to see any play at the full extent of what all the classes are capable of.
Fixed

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think it'll take quite some time for people to really get settled with the way GW2 plays.
People are used to not-moving and merely spamming abilities, simply because that was the most effective method of combat in pretty much every major MMO released in the last 5 years.

I actually expect a tiny backlash, when people with ill-conceived notions on "how 2 play" are getting their asses handed to them when it worked so beautifully in all the other MMO's they have played in the past.

etiolate

Banned
To be fair, we've yet to see a single Mesmer play at the full extent of what the class is capable of.

I think the worry is that there actually isn't that much of a higher level to Mesmer. The concern is that the mesmer is more complex but the complexity only forces the mesmer into tough decisions instead of forcing the mesmer's foe into the preferred pick-your-poison sort of scenario.

Orayn

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to be relying on my Monster Hunter instincts for this one. I'm used to working with a small palette of abilities and a life-saving dodge mechanic.

Jira

I think it'll take quite some time for people to really get settled with the way GW2 plays.
People are used to not-moving and merely spamming abilities, simply because that was the most effective method of combat in pretty much every major MMO released in the last 5 years.

I actually expect a tiny backlash, when people with ill-conceived notions on "how 2 play" are getting their asses handed to them when it worked so beautifully in all the other MMO's they have played in the past.

Make that every MMO not named Vindictus and that other one that's escaping me right now.

I picked guardian before they were even announced.

Fixed

Agree with the fix, but even though we havent seen what all the classes are capable of we have at least gotten a lot better of a look at a few of the classes. At the least we have an idea of the potential with other classes. With the Mesmer, until that Lewis B pvp video, we just had some basic videos that made the clone mechanic seem kind of clunky and delayed and a whole lot of greatsword of lightning.

Rad-

So what are the most healer-ish classes? From what I have seen elementalist and engineer seem to have some decent heal skills.

So what are the most healer-ish classes? From what I have seen elementalist and engineer seem to have some decent heal skills.

Kinda hard to say since everyone has roughly 3 heal moves. I think necros can do an aoe heal with one of their wells too, but it seems most heals in gw2 are generally self heals. I'd go guardian if you want to still play a support class

scosher

Dragon Nest is probably the better comparison as that game has a dodge ability for each class (sorcs get a blink) that's just Shift + a WASD direction, and you have to aim your skills.

Actually, DN is probably the best combat I've played in an MMO (feels more like a fighting game with the way you can combo your abilities or perform juggles), but too bad the rest of the game is ass and the support from the publisher is nonexistent or motivated solely by corporate greed.

If GW2 is anywhere close to that (and it seems to share some of the same elements), I'm going to love it.

Jira

Everyone is capable of healing others, no one has a stronger heal than another class. Your self heal will ALWAYS be the biggest heal that can be done, other heals much, much, smaller and require people to pay attention in order to use them effectively. So try not to go into this thinking you're going to sit there and focus on nothing but healing because it simply won't work.

From a pure numbers perspective the Guardian then the Elementalist have the most heals.

Boken

Banned
Dragon Nest is probably the better comparison as that game has a dodge ability for each class (sorcs get a blink) that's just Shift + a WASD direction, and you have to aim your skills.

Actually, DN is probably the best combat I've played in an MMO (feels more like a fighting game with the way you can combo your abilities or perform juggles), but too bad the rest of the game is ass and the support from the publisher is nonexistent or motivated solely by corporate greed.

If GW2 is anywhere close to that (and it seems to share some of the same elements), I'm going to love it.

GW2 combat is halfway inbetween DN and WOW. If you want DN style combat in an MMO, you should try TERA, which is a lot closer than GW2 will be.

People need to be in control of their actions as well as pay attention to what's going on in the battlefield around them.

I won't be reviving the same jerk twice when all he does is stand there looking stupid.

nataku

GW2 combat is halfway inbetween DN and WOW. If you want DN style combat in an MMO, you should try TERA, which is a lot closer than GW2 will be.

Is it? I have only played the beta weekends and honestly haven't looked into the classes at the high level but from what I saw not ever class has a dodge mechanic despite the fact that properly avoiding mob attacks seems to be pretty important.

Playing a caster in that game in the early levels felt really, really awkward. It seems odd to me that they would make avoiding attacks so important but not give every class the ability to do so outside of just running slowly to dodge. At the early levels it wasn't important but even watching a few mid level youtube videos caster combat looked really odd.

I love the fact that every profession can dodge in GW2. It gives them the ability to make the mechanic a lot more important than if only a few professions could properly dodge.

scosher

Well combat's only one aspect of an MMO. Dragon Nest may have been great in that respect, but it was pretty lackluster in everything else. I have more faith in GW2 and Arenanet delivering the full package than another imported Korean MMO.

Although, after watching some videos, TERA does look pretty good (first I've heard of it). Both GW2 and TERA don't seem to have that same combo/juggle element to their combat as DN, but that's fine with me. I still like this recent trend of active dodging and aiming of skills in MMO's as it makes the game more engaging than just simply knowing your "DPS/threat/heal rotations"

Orayn

Everyone is capable of healing others, no one has a stronger heal than another class. Your self heal will ALWAYS be the biggest heal that can be done, other heals much, much, smaller and require people to pay attention in order to use them effectively. So try not to go into this thinking you're going to sit there and focus on nothing but healing because it simply won't work.

From a pure numbers perspective the Guardian then the Elementalist have the most heals.

Engineer could be a pretty good support class if they took Elixir Gun as a utility and Med Kit as their heal.

I think the combat in this game looks amazing. I almost wish there was a mode to make a single mouse click activate your first combo skill, like a PC beat-em-up. I think that may be impractical for other skills, though, due to targeting issues.

Orayn

I think the combat in this game looks amazing. I almost wish there was a mode to make a single mouse click activate your first combo skill, like a PC beat-em-up. I think that may be impractical for other skills, though, due to targeting issues.

Yeah, it'd basically work like Star Trek Online's shooter control scheme where it uses the default targeting function, but targets whatever's under your crosshairs instead of locking on. I doubt ANet would implement it, but it wouldn't really be out of place either.

Yeah, it'd basically work like Star Trek Online's shooter control scheme. It uses the default targeting function, but targets whatever's under your crosshairs instead of living targets. I doubt ANet would implement it, but it wouldn't really be out of place either.

I didn't realize that STO used such a system. May have to try it out. Maybe it'll help with the GW2 wait.

Like I said, though. GW2's combat really looks great already. I just think this type of system would be cool to try out.

Is it? I have only played the beta weekends and honestly haven't looked into the classes at the high level but from what I saw not ever class has a dodge mechanic despite the fact that properly avoiding mob attacks seems to be pretty important.

Playing a caster in that game in the early levels felt really, really awkward. It seems odd to me that they would make avoiding attacks so important but not give every class the ability to do so outside of just running slowly to dodge. At the early levels it wasn't important but even watching a few mid level youtube videos caster combat looked really odd.

I love the fact that every profession can dodge in GW2. It gives them the ability to make the mechanic a lot more important than if only a few professions could properly dodge.

Every class except for Berserker and Lancer (they use block/defend abilities) have dodge and avoidance abilities. Archers, Priests, Sorcerers, and Mystics get abilities like Glacial Retreat, Fiery Escape, Jump Back, (retreat backwards) Teleport Jaunt (warp through enemies and blink through attacks in the direction of the camera), Stoneskin, etc. I believe the priest leap back ability at early levels is missing in the CBT (it exists in K-TERA) but Fiery Escape is there at later levels.

From the GW2 videos I have seen, the combat looks to be an improvement on hotkey MMOs but nothing like Monster Hunter, Blade and Soul, or TERA. I came away a little disappointed with what I have seen so far of the combat but this is coming from someone who never played the first Guild Wars and hasn't experienced the combat in GW2 first-hand. Most players in the press videos don't ever bother to dodge, so that probably didn't help. I do like that GW2 combat looks to have a nice amount of challenge and difficulty though.

Ashodin

E
From the GW2 videos I have seen, the combat looks to be an improvement on hotkey MMOs but nothing like Monster Hunter, Blade and Soul, or TERA. I came away a little disappointed with what I have seen so far of the combat but this is coming from someone who never played the first Guild Wars and hasn't experienced the combat in GW2 first-hand. Most players in the press videos don't ever bother to dodge, so that probably didn't help. I do like that GW2 combat looks to have a nice amount of challenge and difficulty though.

That it does. ANet has gone to great lengths to ensure that even in low-level gameplay, dodging and essentially, playing "like it's PVP" with PVE mobs is the surefire way to beat them, instead of trading blows and standing there like in other hotkey MMOs.

EDIT: I used to do this often in WoW, actually. When I was bored of regular combat, I would pull mobs around for fun, and pretend they were PVP players. It was fun for me, but not exactly engaging at all. Knowing that the mobs will actually try to kite you, dance around you while attacking, knock you back, etc is music to my ears.

If you watch the Ranger PVP video, it's pretty sick (and awesome) how the Ranger fires at his targets moving on the walls below him, and his attacks MISS because he's moving out of the shot where it was fired currently (it doesn't track).

So being a stationary ranger is not exactly great with moving targets - only by moving WITH the target and angling yourself ahead of his movement can you hit reliably - which is a lot like real life.

The same thing goes with melee, and the coolest part is if your swings are huge and wide-arcing, they WILL hit targets around you, regardless if you're targeting one.

So the game may be a target and hot key MMO, but the trappings of an action combat MMO are there, it just evolved from both ideas, really.

I love TERA's combat too - I've played in the beta weekends as well - but that game's quest system is entirely boring.

And if you love TERA's combat more, you might just have to suck it up for GW2, though I imagine the combat will feel right at home once you realize what you have to do.

A lot of problems press had with the beta weekend is they treated it like Warcraft - and they got trounced for it.

Beating on doors with abilities taking forever? Of course, you need, oh I dunno, SIEGE weapons. Questing with mobs actually taking damage and near dying after 2 or 3? Learn to realize that your skills are not just spam them and win - they are manipulations of the enemy that you have to use at the right time. Only your first attack is the one you should be hitting between setting up combos with your profession to win.

You can't walk into GW2 with the kind of mentality that "oh, I've played MMOs before, I can do this easy." It's not a clone of any other MMO. You will feel familiarity, but then it will subside after a moment when you realize, oh shit, you need to hotkey that dodge button and use it regularly. It's not an "oh shit" button, it's a "work me into your strategies" button.

birdchili

do you need to "lead" a moving target with a single-target ranged attack? i don't think i've seen that.

fwiw: ddo also has *very* mobile combat. you'd die in a second if you just stood still spamming abilities. i don't think this is nearly as rare as folk are implying.

Jira

I wish we had some damn footage of people who have rebound all of their keys rather than clickers and keyboard turners. First thing I'm doing before I even get into the game is rebinding all of my keys so I'll be setup right out the gate and learning how I intend to play from the start.

birdchili

how many keys are you going to need to map?

skills: 10
weapon swap: 1
jump: 1
dodge: 1
class specials (steal, kits, attunements, etc...): 1-4 depending on class.

what else?

Ashodin

do you need to "lead" a moving target with a single-target ranged attack? i don't think i've seen that.

fwiw: ddo also has *very* mobile combat. you'd die in a second if you just stood still spamming abilities. i don't think this is nearly as rare as folk are implying.

If you miss a target at ranged because he's running ahead of your shots, wouldn't it make sense to move ahead of where he's running and then fire? It should make it easier to make hits with your bow/gun/whatever.

I wish we had some damn footage of people who have rebound all of their keys rather than clickers and keyboard turners. First thing I'm doing before I even get into the game is rebinding all of my keys so I'll be setup right out the gate and learning how I intend to play from the start.

This is how I'm doing it as well. Rebinding keys and testing how my character works, the rebinding keys again and again until everything feels natural.

This is my plans as well. Still trying to figure out how I want to set it up though.

@MaxRPG Do you have a link to that Ranger pvp video? I think I might have missed it.

birdchili

If you miss a target at ranged because he's running ahead of your shots, wouldn't it make sense to move ahead of where he's running and then fire? It should make it easier to make hits with your bow/gun/whatever.
can i shoot a single-target range attack at my reticule-position and have it do a collision calculation on the target though (without hard-targeting them)?

Jira

how many keys are you going to need to map?

skills: 10
weapon swap: 1
jump: 1
dodge: 1
class specials (steal, kits, attunements, etc...): 1-4 depending on class.

what else?

Nothing more than that, I was just saying people who actually rebind their keys, especially 6-0, are going to be a hell of a lot more effective than those who don't. I want footage from someone who has changed their keybinds is all.

Jira

can i shoot a single-target range attack at my reticule-position and have it do a collision calculation on the target though (without hard-targeting them)?

There's no reticule, you can just aim your character in that direction and fire any skill off and it will shoot regardless if you' have anything targeted or not.

nataku

Every class except for Berserker and Lancer (they use block/defend abilities) have dodge and avoidance abilities. Priests, Sorcerers, and Mystics get abilities like Glacial Retreat, Fiery Escape, Jump Back, (retreat backwards) Teleport Jaunt (warp through enemies and blink through attacks in the direction of the camera), Stoneskin, etc. I believe the priest leap back ability at early levels is missing in the CBT (it exists in K-TERA) but Fiery Escape is there at later levels.

Hmm. I must have been watching some bad sorc players then. Good to know at least. I still find it odd they don't just give everyone their dodges from the start to get people used to the mechanic, but I'm glad they get them at least.

Yeah. The first thing I'll do is rebind to ESDF plus rebind 7-0 to things around ESDF. I honestly don't see why developers don't just do it from the start. There's no way you can use 7-0 as proper keybinds. Even WASD doesn't make sense for an MMORPG where you need access to more keybinds. ESDF puts more keys in reach without having to stretch your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom