• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I think the combat in this game looks amazing. I almost wish there was a mode to make a single mouse click activate your first combo skill, like a PC beat-em-up. I think that may be impractical for other skills, though, due to targeting issues.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that your first skill slot can be set to your right mouse button, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

BrettWeir

A lot of problems press had with the beta weekend is they treated it like Warcraft - and they got trounced for it.

Beating on doors with abilities taking forever? Of course, you need, oh I dunno, SIEGE weapons. Questing with mobs actually taking damage and near dying after 2 or 3? Learn to realize that your skills are not just spam them and win - they are manipulations of the enemy that you have to use at the right time. Only your first attack is the one you should be hitting between setting up combos with your profession to win.

You can't walk into GW2 with the kind of mentality that "oh, I've played MMOs before, I can do this easy." It's not a clone of any other MMO. You will feel familiarity, but then it will subside after a moment when you realize, oh shit, you need to hotkey that dodge button and use it regularly. It's not an "oh shit" button, it's a "work me into your strategies" button.

This is where I think DAoC players will have a little bit of an advantage....until everyone else understands and catches on. Rams, Trebs, etc were NEEDED if you wanted to take a defended keep or relic. Melee on the doors just meant feeding realm points to the other realm(s).

Really hoping they come out with WvW titles ASAP. Was very intimidating to sit in RvR and see an opponent with the title Einherjar, Emerald Rider, or Dragon Knight over their heads as a low ranked player. You immediately knew that the player had invested a LOT of time in RvR.

how many keys are you going to need to map?

skills: 10
weapon swap: 1
jump: 1
dodge: 1
class specials (steal, kits, attunements, etc...): 1-4 depending on class.

what else?

I think 6-0 and maybe the F1-F5(when used) are the only ones that will need remapped. Dodge and weapon swap seam to be easy enough cause I have never seen anyone press anything to do either one. F1-F5 might not even need remapped if you won't use them much. Gaurdian will probably require it just to use theirs when you want them instead of waiting for the timed effect, Elementalist as well.

Ashodin

Ranger PVP Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACvN6HjZ94

Also, here's my skills layout, in image form (easier to understand):

QfGi4.png

BrettWeir

I wish we had some damn footage of people who have rebound all of their keys rather than clickers and keyboard turners. First thing I'm doing before I even get into the game is rebinding all of my keys so I'll be setup right out the gate and learning how I intend to play from the start.

I HAVE to do this with all games I play, as I use a G13 and G7. The only reason I use a keyboard in any game is for chatting. I can't believe people don't setup their profile right away......

I LOVE the G13 and G7.

Klyka

Banned
Mouse button 1 for weapon switching?

Pfffhahaha what?

Edit: Normally Mouse button 1 and 2 refer to left and right mouse button.

etiolate

Banned
A lot of the press seemed unfamiliar with the first Guild Wars and I heard a lot of misnomers based on general assumptions.

Even statements which sound true were often off. I've liked the Yogscast videos, but I believe in one of them they stated that GW2 like the first game is PVP focused and PVP centric. You look at WvWvW and the more actiony combat, and you may think that, but compared to the first game, GW2 is pretty heavily PVE focused in design and mission statements. Other things between the games aren't carried over in press reactions. I think GW2 has a target calling mechanic like the one in GW1, but nobody used it much due to unfamiliarity with the concept. Even things like traps in dungeons aren't new like people claim. EotN dungeons had traps of various sorts, including giant rolling rocks.

There's a pretty solid and enthusiastic GW community, but outside of that circle, the gaming public is pretty naive about the game.

birdchili

not mapping something to ~ is a mistake... it's one of the easiest keys to hit reliably in the heat of things if you're using wasd (far simpler than shift-2, for example).

Ashodin

Makes a lot more sense now. Probably best option for those as well. Be able to dodge and swap weapons fast and not take your fingers off your skills.

Wasn't meant to be confusing, should have posted the mouse with it too.

And yes, that was my thinking. Especially because you can dodge and interrupt it with a skill.

not mapping something to ~ is a mistake... it's one of the easiest keys to hit reliably in the heat of things if you're using wasd (far simpler than shift-2, for example).

Used to Vent using ~ as a talk button.

Retro

I was thinking of using tilde (Yes, it has a name!) for weapon swap, but I honestly feel like I won't be able to set up my hotkeys and such until I get my hands on the game. I definitely won't have anything I need mapped to 6-0 though.

I'll likely be making heavy use of my side mouse buttons too, probably dodge just so it's always at hand.

Jira

A lot of the press seemed unfamiliar with the first Guild Wars and I heard a lot of misnomers based on general assumptions.

Even statements which sound true were often off. I've liked the Yogscast videos, but I believe in one of them they stated that GW2 like the first game is PVP focused and PVP centric. You look at WvWvW and the more actiony combat, and you may think that, but compared to the first game, GW2 is pretty heavily PVE focused in design and mission statements. Other things between the games aren't carried over in press reactions. I think GW2 has a target calling mechanic like the one in GW1, but nobody used it much due to unfamiliarity with the concept. Even things like traps in dungeons aren't new like people claim. EotN dungeons had traps of various sorts, including giant rolling rocks.

There's a pretty solid and enthusiastic GW community, but outside of that circle, the gaming public is pretty naive about the game.

Agreed

As for my binds I'll have 6-0 on my Naga, QERT for F1-F4, still debating on the whole dodge key as of yet. Was thinking middle mouse or Shift...I dunno it depends on how I feel with the double tap to dodge. Maybe middle mouse for weapon swap.

nataku

Yeah. MikeB and one of the other guys on This Week in MMO back on the 22nd I think it was were going on and on about the PvE the entire episode. Then all of a sudden towards the end of it they say something along the lines of "GW2 is PvP focused like the first GW."

Made me scratch my head after hearing them talk about the PvE aspects of the game for 30-45 minutes.

etiolate

Banned
I am not so sure keybinding everything will be the best way. There is no click to move, so you will have to WASD and you will need to move and cast/use skills and dodge together. There will also be some aiming involved You can't do that by keybinding everything to your left hand. Maybe if you want to give yourself some nasty carpal tunnel but fuck that. I'll be getting a mouse with a keypad on it.

Tilde was almost always an "Oh, shit" button for me. I will most likely use it as my most used or needed utility.

Orayn

When I play, I'll have the right mouse button held down 99% of the time so I can strafe with A and D and turn really quickly. Weapon swap will probably be tilde, and I will dodge almost exclusively by double tapping WASD. 7-0 will most likely be shift states of whatever I'm using for 2-5, which I haven't quite decided on yet. 6 will have its own key.

Jira

Yeah. MikeB and one of the other guys on This Week in MMO back on the 22nd I think it was were going on and on about the PvE the entire episode. Then all of a sudden towards the end of it they say something along the lines of "GW2 is PvP focused like the first GW."

Made me scratch my head after hearing them talk about the PvE aspects of the game for nearly 30-45 minutes.

From the very start of development, ANet has built EVERYTHING around the Dynamic Event system. Every concept can be traced right back to it and it's a PvE mechanic, not PvP. Even WvW is everything plopped down into a PvE environment. PvP is still there, it's just not the absolute main focus. I think they've struck a nice balance between the two and WvW will pull a lot of people into PvP who don't normally do so and then possibly into HotJoin PvP and finally competitive. It's all very well put together. ANet was saying a lot of the press were loving WvW and those people don't normally PvP at all.

NeededSleep

Have they mentioned if there will be character shadows introduced? Its really throwing my depth perception off because there is no shadow on the ground from your character/enemies.
Have yet to see any yet in the videos, though this is probably an early game build with settings limited.

That is just probably me though, i have pretty bad depth perception to begin with. Harder for me on platforming games without shadows or games with 3d environments where distance is required for certain skills.

Also. I really like the customization for each class with different weapons = different skills. Really sets up for your own play style. Just hope it doesn't turn ugly where people wont invite because you don't fit spec X. Though that's just usually at end game

Orayn

Have they mentioned if there will be character shadows introduced? Its really throwing my depth perception off because there is no shadow on the ground from your character/enemies.
Have yet to see any yet in the videos, though this is probably an early game build with settings limited.

That is just probably me though, i have pretty bad depth perception to begin with. Harder for me on platforming games without shadows or games with 3d environments where distance is required for certain skills.

Also. I really like the customization for each class with different weapons = different skills. Really sets up for your own play style. Just hope it doesn't turn ugly where people wont invite because you don't fit spec X. Though that's just usually at end game

Yeah, graphics are almost always the last thing to be finalized and fully unlocked.

birdchili

no final keybind decisions until i'm roaming the lands, but it's good to think about nonetheless.

are there items that are usable in combat? those might necessitate hotkeys, depending...

Jira

There is no endgame. :D Your ability to use your build is far more important than the build itself.

As for shadows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wPqZW3grU&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Orayn

no final keybind decisions until i'm roaming the lands, but it's good to think about nonetheless.

are there items that are usable in combat? those might necessitate hotkeys, depending...

There might have been at one point, but I think they're been scrapped in light of changes to the game's dodge, energy, and healing mechanics.

Jira

Good question, hard to say if you can eat buff foods and such while in combat when we can't get the people playing to do something as simple as dodge or move around.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm probably using the same binds as I used in other mmo's.

WSAD - Movement/Strafe
1 2 3 4 5 and Shift + 1 2 3 4 5 - standard bar abilities
Q - "Oh-shit button", meaning it's an instant interrupt, spell counter or instant shield ability
E - Heal ability
R - Profession specific skill (Flurry/minion explosion etc.)
LShift - Dodge
Space - Jump
F - Interact
~ - Weapon swap

It depends on the class though, I could see more binds needed for the Elementalist or Guardian for example, as they have multiple profession specific attunements to switch between.

r4z4

I was initially torn between getting a gamepad like the G13 or a Naga, but I think I'm going with the Naga + Keyboard combo. Have not been PC Gaming for ages, but will be building a new machine for GW2, can't wait!

Rpgmonkey

Most stuff is standard fair, otherwise:

Weapon Swap = ~
Dodge = double tap WASD or V
F for interacting with corpses/people

I see, thanks. I assume the dodge button includes holding a movement key?

I won't have a weapon swap so I'll probably put my heal on ~. And I'll have to move the attunements somewhere else as the F1-F4 keys feel too awkward for something I'll be using regularly, maybe to ZXCV.

Dash27

I wish we had some damn footage of people who have rebound all of their keys rather than clickers and keyboard turners. First thing I'm doing before I even get into the game is rebinding all of my keys so I'll be setup right out the gate and learning how I intend to play from the start.

The only players I've seen who are even remotely competent are the devs and maybe a couple of players here and there in pve who look like they've played a game or two before.

This guy from Gamebreaker confirms he rebound keys and he looks like he knows what he's doing at least. He's not keyboard turning, backpedaling and clicking, doesnt die, I'll take it. Obviously this is with next to no time getting accustomed to the game so it's as good as we'll likely get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSVue7dK6o

Jira

I see, thanks. I assume the dodge button includes holding a movement key?

I won't have a weapon swap so I'll probably put my heal on ~. And I'll have to move the attunements somewhere else as the F1-F4 keys feel too awkward for something I'll be using regularly, maybe to ZXCV.

No, double tapping say W would have you dodge forward, S for backwards and so on. If you used V to dodge it would have you dodge the direction you are currently moving in.

ShaneB

I'll probably throw dodge onto the spacebar, and just move jump to something else. Something tells me dodging is more important that jumping.

Rpgmonkey

No, double tapping say W would have you dodge forward, S for backwards and so on. If you used V to dodge it would have you dodge the direction you are currently moving in.

Yeah I meant with V. Poorly-worded question I guess, but thanks, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom