• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- announced for Arcade

BossRush

I don't think that's Bridget.

Two things are keeping it in my mind from being Bridget, whatever that thing is above their head, and whatever it is they're holding in their hand

You'd think the ball and chain attached to their leg would keep it from being them too, but then again original bridget wore a giant handcuff around their waist so...

I said this at least 10 times now. If you really care about ASW games, never ever wait for it to release in Europe. Straight import it. I don't know where you live, but I paid about the same for the import copy, I would pay for the digital-only pal.

This is true. I imported also. But it still stings getting treated like shit. I'm getting pretty tired of it.

(Personally i like getting stuff on sale or second hand. Guess how often that happens when we only get import? Jumping through hoops for DLC sucks as well. And a much smaller online player base. )

So i think it deserves to be called out. Again and again.

Fairly hyped for new female character. New stuff is exciting.

(Personally i like getting stuff on sale or second hand. Guess how often that happens when we only get import? Jumping through hoops for DLC sucks as well. And a much smaller online player base. )

I get your point, but if you let resume the last 10 years or so of asw games in Europe, it never changed. Even when they had some "serious" publishers over here. They just don't give a fuck. I accepted this and will never again buy a european release of them.

vg260

Good to see a favorite is returning, but if this isn't DLC, I'm done buying ArcSys game for good. They're easily the most unfriendly in terms of updates.

I shouldn't be surprised though if they just tweak the story mode, add two characters and sell it as a new game. I hope they learned there's no excuse for that anymore.

Still stinging for buying this day one after that $24 sale happened shortly after.

Chev

I shouldn't be surprised though if they just tweak the story mode, add two characters and sell it as a new game. I hope they learned there's no excuse for that anymore.
I'm sure the big piles of money they got from various BB releases showed them, yeah!

More seriously, you're jumping the gun assuming there'll be only two characters. Those two are the ones for the next loketest but we don't know anything about the actual final count for Revelator yet (and that's not even counting the inevitable extra console characters).

They've repeatedly stated they want everyone back eventually, but it's gonna take quite a few versions.

Fuck. I mean I have all my characters already, but Zappa is the only one missing. I'm hoping he'll pop up soon.

Not for awhile, unless ASW can get more money to hire more staff to work on the game. It takes them like four months or something to make a character.

Goddamn. Four months? That's crazy. I really hope they do end getting more people to work on the game.

Rutger

Banned
Hell yeah, Johnny's back!

The wait for console is going to be rough for this one. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new character is about too.

Now I just need ABA and I'll have all my characters back.

vg260

I'm sure the big piles of money they got from various BB releases showed them, yeah!

More seriously, you're jumping the gun assuming there'll be only two characters. Those two are the ones for the next loketest but we don't know anything about the actual final count for Revelator yet (and that's not even counting the inevitable extra console characters).

Well, if it's a meaty update that's better, but only a few characters and I think it should be DLC. I want to support them but the new content per title in their games is so frustrating. More so than other fighters.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but after BlazBlue they have set a precedent for people to react skeptically, and I'm usually pretty tolerant of fighting game updates. I feel like every time they have some sort of reason to justify a new full game purchase, but most of the time I don't feel it's justified in their case. Who knows if allowing updates to BlazBlue would have kept more people interested in the game over time instead of getting frustrated with how they handle things. I just want to see them turn a corner on this and be more customer friendly.

It would need to be something closer to MvC3 to UMvC3, Vanilla SF to Super, P4A to P4U, in terms of new content for me to feel OK with this update being a whole new title. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Two things are keeping it in my mind from being Bridget, whatever that thing is above their head, and whatever it is they're holding in their hand

You'd think the ball and chain attached to their leg would keep it from being them too, but then again original bridget wore a giant handcuff around their waist so...

I'm going to sound super transphobic here, but please bear with me for a moment. Bridget isn't a trans character like Poison. He was raised as a girl and forced to dress like one, but he doesn't identify as female or intersex.

(PS – I'm queer myself and have a lot of trans people close to me. I'm just a stickler for canon!)

wwm0nkey

I'm going to sound super transphobic here, but please bear with me for a moment. Bridget isn't a trans character like Poison. He was raised as a girl and forced to dress like one, but he doesn't identify as female or intersex.

(PS – I'm queer myself and have a lot of trans people close to me. I'm just a stickler for canon!)

Yeah Bridget doesn't identify as female, he needed to dress like a girl since he was born or else he would have been killed in his village.

wwm0nkey

Well that didn't take long...already a new edition.

Came out in December so its been almost 6 months. Also this is an arcade release at the moment so it might not come out on console/PC for awhile (3, maybe 4 months?)

So a potential 9 month gap. Almost the same time frame as UMvC3

vg260

Came out in December so its been almost 6 months. Also this is an arcade release at the moment so it might not come out on console/PC for awhile (3, maybe 4 months?)

Well, there was a natural disaster forcing their hand on UMvC3, and it had 12 new characters, alternates stages, and new systems, and was $20 less. Even with all that it still ruffled people's feathers. It's going to take a lot of new content and good pricing to make whole new version palatable in that time. It will be a shame if they do not provide a reasonable upgrade path. There's really no technical reason why they couldn't. I'm tired of them making it difficult for the less hardcore fans to keep up.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I really hope they get Gabriel in this. Raven and "That Man" would be amazing too ;__;

Gabriel is probably going to happen. Dizzy's a good chance, and I'm praying for Dr. Paradigm. But "That Man" will never be playable. Ever. It'd be the end of GG :3

NEO0MJ

They can keep Kliff and Robo Ky though.

giphy.gif

wwm0nkey

Well, there was a natural disaster forcing their hand on UMvC3, and it had 12 new characters, alternates stages, and new systems, and was $20 less. Even with all that it still ruffled people's feathers. It's going to take a lot of new content and good pricing to make whole new version palatable in that time. It will be a shame if they do not provide a reasonable upgrade path. There's really no technical reason why they couldn't. I'm tired of them making it difficult for the less hardcore fans to keep up.

Well we still don't have a character count yet. We only know Johnny is in and a "new character". Dizzy and Gabriel are also probably going to be in the game as well since their models are already done and their are talks of Jam. Not to mention they are going to Japan in the story so that opens up a lot of possibilities.

We are getting new stages with this too going by the screen shots and as for systems, while I wont use the new casual mode, its going to be great for newcomers (even though I think Xrd has the best tutorial mode of any fighting game ever)

That's being optimistic

Arcade release: February 2014
Console release (besides EU): December 2014

So technically our perception of this update is skewed, by the time this releases it will have been about a year and a half already since the original.

Platy

I don't think the shadow is Brdget .... the ball on the foot don't fit his style

Also yay for more guilty gear.... NOW GIVES ME BAIKEN

brinstar

Gabriel is probably going to happen. Dizzy's a good chance, and I'm praying for Dr. Paradigm. But "That Man" will never be playable. Ever. It'd be the end of GG :3

Haha yeah, though the story does seem to be veering away from That Man's being the end-all antagonist. I can easily see him becoming more of an ally at this point. Hopefully Revelator's story mode at least finally gives us a face and a name.

OSHAN

I really, really hope they have a Revelator edition to download for 15 bucks if you already bought the base game.

Sayad

Another yearly ASW version. If only I liked xrd. I'm still waiting for a new HNK.
It's awful, but at this point, considering how low their games sell, it's either this or SNK's way of not releasing any proper game ever again.

For the love of god make the balance changes free and the characters DLC at least. I'll gladly buy the story separately if I have to, but just don't make me buy another damn disk like with the Blazblue Extend nonsense.

NEO0MJ

For the love of god make the balance changes free and the characters DLC at least. I'll gladly buy the story separately if I have to, but just don't make me buy another damn disk like with the Blazblue Extend nonsense.

What's sad is that we almost got that with the original CS. Then they had t mess it up with Extended.

Momentary

Banned
So this is the version for STEAM. Can't wait to get BB and Xrd on there this year. :)

People make jokes about this being a year out on the platform, but ASW literally threwards their last game out with a 1 week notice. That is crazy. They are trying to lay down a quick foundation. Won't be surprised to see the latest arcade releases of UNIEL, BB, and Xrd all on STEAM by the end of the year.

Bayonetta. Hope you remember that bet. I'm sure you want to lose as badly as I want to win.

Mark my words. I said this last year. They are waiting on final arcade versions of the game before releasing them to STEAM. And now the ASW is publishing their own shit... they are not playing around.

vg260

We'll see how it pans out, but I feel like they use a new story mode a lot of the time to help justify a new game purchase with only a couple new characters rather than just implementing a base game with update hooks in place. I don't care about story mode, so having a new story is little consolation for having to but another $40+ disc for the actual playable game content.

LegatoB

Mark my words. I said this last year. They are waiting on final arcade versions of the game before releasing them to STEAM. And now the ASW is publishing their own shit... they are not playing around.
That's adorable. You think this is the last arcade version.

So this is the version for STEAM. Can't wait to get BB and Xrd on there this year. :)

People make jokes about this being a year out on the platform, but ASW literally threwards their last game out with a 1 week notice. That is crazy. They are trying to lay down a quick foundation. Won't be surprised to see the latest arcade releases of UNIEL, BB, and Xrd all on STEAM by the end of the year.

Bayonetta. Hope you remember that bet. I'm sure you want to lose as badly as I want to win.

You think this is the final version of Xrd? lol

Unless there is a TON of content to come I can't imagine this being solely a separate release. Arc System does that, but not with this little amount of content. Note I don't play or follow Blaze Blue so if they did it there my bad.

I imagine we'll get this as DLC.

wwm0nkey

Unless there is a TON of content to come I can't imagine this being solely a separate release. Arc System does that, but not with this little amount of content. Note I don't play or follow Blaze Blue so if they did it there my bad.

I imagine we'll get this as DLC.

We do not know if this is all the content, the game is going to be tested in June at arcades, not released.

We will probably see more than 2 characters and also more story by the time the console and or Steam version rolls around.

Uraizen

Banned
Now let's see if they go the route of BlazBlue where they make console characters for the console release or keep this as a straight arcade update for $40.

Top Bottom