• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero for PS4 and Xbox One announced early April?

Yay I guess. The only great thing is that they'll produce more hardware. Will get a guitar and game bundle and will grab a full Rock Band bundle.

Only positive thing I can see coming from this for me, is better guitar controllers. The chance of DLC being transferred over to the new GH is slim to none so Rock Band has already won the battle for my money and dedication, Activision have always done a shit job supporting their previous customers when it came to GH.

Activision releasing dozens of Guitar Hero games in a short period and saturating the market is part of the reason why rhythm games went out of style a few years ago.

I'd like to say that I hope they play it safe and keep it at one game like Harmonix is planning to do, but their history says otherwise...

Yeah this is very worrisome, I hope they don't kill this again.

Xeroblade

What sucks about this is there are people that actually like GH over Rockband. There always has to be somebody wanting to ruin somebody's day.

In. Let's see how GH vs. RB shapes up this year. It's a more even fight between FSG and Harmonix than Neversoft and Harmonix, IMO, but if no DLC from last gen transfers, Harmonix has already bolted out of the gate and into the lead.
Is it confirmed it's FSG? Guess we now know what they've been doing after that disaster with Sing on Wii U.

airjoca

To all those who say they always preferred GH over Rock Band:

You do know the people working in RB were the original creators of GH right?

K' Dash

Once Harmonix moved to Rock Band I never played Guitar Hero again, didn't Activision kill the studio making the GH games?, if so, who's going to make this one?

As someone who's always preferred GH:

Yes, I am aware. But Rock Band never competed with Guitar Hero 2. Legends of Rock was more fun to me than Rock Band 1 was. The best way to play Guitar Hero 1, 2, and 80s songs was on Smash Hits.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Rock Band, but the presentation of Guitar Hero post-Encore: 80s was just on a whole different level.

What sucks about this is there are people that actually like GH over Rockband. There always has to be somebody wanting to ruin somebody's day.

The latter GH games had a lot of perks that the RB series didn't. Expert + for drums and open notes for bass were different and fun, plus while I may complain about GHIII, it was the first game where HO/POs were manually added rather than the engine adding them automatically like in the Harmonix Guitar Hero games and the first Rock Band. Plus all the little nuances were great too, with different Hyperspeed settings for different instruments, Warriors of Rock's method of unlocking different clothing/instruments which allowed you to make your band the way you want without having to own every peripheral and also be able to master it unlike RB3, as well as the fun it had with animations. Your singer's slide onto the stage during Old Time Rock and Roll in World Tour, Bohemian Rhapsody as a whole in Warriors of Rock, plus many others. And as a little thing I like, the on-disc songs weren't ordered as specifically as they were on Rock Band and we didn't get easy songs added to the final tier of an instrument just to make it even. I prefer the Rock Band series, but the Guitar Hero games as a whole had a lot going for them and they certainly felt much more creative and that's more appealing to some people. Yeah, there were flaws, the World Tour engine games were ugly as sin (although credit to GH5 for taking the art style, adding a few tweaks and making it look great), a few things were broken here and there (purple notes in WT, Expert+ on 5) and Quest Mode on the whole (The Rush section was both great and cringeworthy at the same time) but it's totally okay to prefer Guitar Hero because it's got a lot going for it.

Ridley327

Once Harmonix moved to Rock Band I never played Guitar Hero again, didn't Activision kill the studio making the GH games?, if so, who's going to make this one?

It's complicated, but here's the studio situation for the ones that did work on the series:

-Red Octane (a.k.a. the studio that made the hardware): has been dead since shortly after WoR's release.
-Neversoft (developers of GH3, Aerosmith, WT, Metallica, GH5, Band Hero, and WoR): was taken off the series following WoR to focus on an original IP that wound up being cancelled, turned into a support studio for Call of Duty before being absorbed into Infinity Ward.
-Vicarious Visions (developers of the Wii ports of the Guitar Hero games, as well as the DS On Tour series and the mobile Guitar Hero game that came out for iOS): was assigned to work on GH7 following Neversoft's departure from the series, but the terrible sales of WoR made them reconsider and they wound up scuttling the project and firing a chunk of the studio. Have since become the second big player in Skylanders development.
-Beenox (developer of Smash Hits and Van Halen): they became the dedicated Spider-Man game dev, but with the license on that being of questionable status these days, they've now become a support studio for Skylanders.

Always preferred RB personally, but that was pretty much after Activision ran the GH franchise into the ground.

As such, I remain cautiously optimistic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god, another plastic instrument war begins. How long will it take to crash this time? What band specific games will they churn out in 2016??

Cool news for GH fans. I'm more of a Rock Band guy (I like to play with friends). My 800 songs will carry over perfectly into RB4, which is beyond exciting.

I also prefer the RB controllers and in game art style and UI.

xzeldax3

This annoys me because they are obviously trying to steal Rock Band's thunder and in doing so, they might churn out a half baked product.

I hope they just focus on guitar instead of a full band because that's their strong suit. Everyone keeps saying they want a GH revival just for their guitars, but Acitivsion killed off RedOctane so idk if new guitars will match their quality.

Journey

Banned
Didn't GH just wind up copying the star progress meter from Rock Band with GH5? There's really not a whole lot of difference between the two when it comes to the displays during gameplay. Adjustable highway speeds, on the other hand...

From what I noticed, Rockband retained the narrow accuracy threshold, while Guitar Hero was much more forgiving but made complicated note arrangements. Rockband feels more real to me, like what you'll do while playing the actual instrument, GH was fun and challenging with some wild note arrangements, but easier to pull off hammer-ons. Guitar Hero went down hill after Guitar Hero Metallica, my personal favorite, but overall Rockband gets the most respect from me.

Laieon

Guitar Hero was a slightly better single player game, but Rock Band is a significantly better multiplayer game, GH doesn't even come close. World Tour just felt like a bad RB rip off.

Yes. But look at game series like Hot Shots Golf after Camelot left and Clap Hanz took over.

Just because a company started it, it doesn't mean they can't improve on it or take it in a different direction.

Neversoft's Guitar Hero had a lot of differences that made it worthwhile to exist. Especially because competition was and is important. (Look how many people prefer the GH hardware)

This annoys me because they are obviously trying to steal Rock Band's thunder and in doing so, they might churn out a half baked product.

I hope they just focus on guitar instead of a full band because that's their strong suit. Everyone keeps saying they want a GH revival just for their guitars, but Acitivsion killed off RedOctane so idk if new guitars will match their quality.

Both games have been in development on and off for years after the last ones were released. It's not like they heard this announcement and suddenly got the idea to greenlight the game. In fact, my internal sources expected the GH announcement before Rock Band 4 had one.

More than one version of a newer GH was scrapped because it wasn't up to snuff.

Activision didn't kill Neversoft. They absorbed the team into Infinity Ward after Neversoft couldn't make a game worth a damn after losing GH. They prided themselves on releasing products on time, and that wasn't going to be possible with a totally new franchise and Call of Duty fever dwarfing everything else Activision. Remember how many rumors of the myriad of Call of Duty spinoffs there were a few years back and how few came true?

Intricate

Neo Member
Ugh. They should wait for Harmonix to build up the market before they come in a get their stink on things. This is too soon. Hold your dream killing horses, Activision.

Konami, now is the time. IIDX Ultimate Collection for PS4/XBO. Ah who am I kidding, the king of rhythm gaming in the home died long ago. Sigh.

GamingKaiju

Activision need to realize that GH died because they tried to make it into a RB clone instead of focusing on what made GH great in the first place. Having amazing tracks that played extremely well. I'm a big GH\RB fan but when GH went the route of RB it lost all of it's identity the tracks were poor very and few that I actually liked after GH3.

And yes releasing a new game so quick also helped but the core gameplay was changed when they introduced the new instruments, return to GH1-3+80's Rock with some excellent tracks and I'm there Day0.

Still buying RB though lol

Zalman

This is good for two reasons.

1) I get to buy new Guitar Hero guitars (far better than the Rock Band ones.)
2) There's a chance of more Metallica.

This is good for two reasons.

1) I get to buy new Guitar Hero guitars (far better than the Rock Band ones.)
2) There's a chance of more Metallica.

Truthfully, that's one of the reasons I'm quite excited for RB4. All of the exclusive artist contracts are long expired by now so it's a wild west again.

Truthfully, that's one of the reasons I'm quite excited for RB4. All of the exclusive artist contracts are long expired by now so it's a wild west again.

pfft there is no way Activision is letting go of Metallica, I am so sure there will be a bunch in this GH

bounchfx

urgh, was hoping it would just be RB4 this year at least. I just don't want Activision to run it into the ground before it even has a chance at becoming a living genre again.

However I'm super curious to see how the two differ and I hope they're both excellent.

Thing is, will it support previous DLC? How many people care outside of a niche of insane RB players? I know it matters to me a ton, but not as much as a fun/quality new game.

jbug617

Banned
Found via Reddit
http://www.vgrevolution.com/news/activision-revealing-new-game-april-14th/

ATVI_Reveal.jpg

Top Bottom