• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Adamrogo

Banned
I did a search, and there is surprisingly very little content involving guitar on this board, though I see there are some decent musicians here, as seen in the OT music project. I love guitar and buying/selling music gear, do any of you do the same?

Post pics of your guitar, amps, pedals, whatever you've got and tell us about it!

I'll post a couple guitars to start things off.

These are my Ernie Ball Music Man guitars, a JP6 and a BFR JP6.

jp2.jpg

jp1.jpg

jp3.jpg

bfr1.jpg

bfr2.jpg

bfr6.jpg

klausbert

This is a thread to my liking. I will do some pics tomorrow and post them here
Edit: I love MusicMan guitars. The company was one of the late ones that Leo Fender worked in, he then worked at G&L. I have a G&L Tributy LEgacy Strat, great great guitar, i love playing it very much.

thepatient666, is that a Gibson Les Paul, or the Epiphone model?

I have the Epiphone one in red. Some day I'll spring for a Gibson.

It's the epiphone one. I'm saving for a Gibson. A guy I work with has a Gibson sponsorship and can get me an amazing deal. I can't wait>

muckhole

Adamrogo said:
These are my Ernie Ball Music Man guitars, a JP6 and a BFR JP6.

Bastard. I've always wanted a Music Man. I've got a Godin electric solid body, that has an acoustic pickup built in that works better than I ever could have expected, and a Gibson Nighthawk for fun. I run it all through a Marshall Valvestate (sold the 5150). I'll try to grab pics of my gear the next time I'm at my practice space.

EDIT: My Les Paul was stolen. :-{

Adamrogo

Banned
I used to have a Gibson LP one just like that. I sold it a couple years ago to fund a PRS.

rig3.jpg

I also used to have a Wine Red colored LP, but that one was given to my cousin.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
gtr.jpg

Ibanez RG5EX1. Using it with a Line 6 Spider III Model 30 amp and a Pandora PX4D.

Btw, I'm looking into replacing the strings. Anyone recommend some good ones for my guitar?

Why not just make a thread for all musician related pictures? I play several instruments, not just guitar, and i'm sure many other people would like to participate in this musician thread.

Adamrogo

Banned
reilo said:
Ibanez RG5EX1. Using it with a Line 6 Spider III Model 30 amp and a Pandora PX4D.

Btw, I'm looking into replacing the strings. Anyone recommend some good ones for my guitar?

I use EB Slinkies, though I'm loyal to the EB line.

GHS makes good ones too, but they don't last as long for me.

Nice stuff guys.

This is one of my amps, it's a Mesa Boogie Mark III Coliseum Red Stripe amp from 1987, its 1 of 80 made. It's 180 watts, with 6x 6L6 2x EL34 and 5x 12AX7 tubes. It's paired with a Mesa traditional sized 4x12 cab.

It's the most killer sounding amp I've ever played.

mk3aweb.jpg

mk3bweb.jpg

Adamrogo

Banned
xlildragonxod said:
Why not just make a thread for all musician related pictures? I play several instruments, not just guitar, and i'm sure many other people would like to participate in this musician thread.

Feel free to post your stuff!

Zyzyxxz said:
if I wanna start learning on an acoustic will any work? I've been looking at cheap used ones off craigslist.,

yeah, start with the cheapest one possible. When people choose a quality guitar for their first one and then decide guitar is not for them, it always ends with bitter tears.

Raistlin

Some quick, shit pics from my phone

ekhp2v.jpg

1rdqpw.jpg

2yuy5tx.jpg

1zpsfgw.jpg

Guitar is a Samick. I don't even think they had model numbers initially (at least it ain't on it). Nothing great. Floyd-rose and double-octave neck. Necks plays okay, pickups are ass.

Bass is a Washburn XB-100. Nothing fancy, but plays and sounds decently for what I paid (Rotosound strings help in the sound department).

Keyboard is my newest toy (at least for instruments :p). Yamaha P-70 Electric Piano

Adamrogo

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
IMG_0765.jpg

2 channel Original Mesa Dual Rectifier. 2005 Gibson Standard Goldtop.

Nice amp man!

I used to have a Dual Rec just like that, it was within the first 1000 made, and in the first year. The effects loop was different, had a larger output transformer, had a chrome chassis, and a black powder coated diamond plate face, all stock.

They are pretty rare, and I sold mine for quite a profit once I got my Mark III.

Don't really have a great pic, but this is it.

My Gibson Explorer is also in the pic, I installed EMG pickups (60 in the neck, 81 in bridge) into it hehe.

exp.jpg

Rufus

akachan ningen said:
yeah, start with the cheapest one possible. When people choose a quality guitar for their first one and then decide guitar is not for them, it always ends with bitter tears.
If you get a piece of shit chances are you'll grow frustrated with it very fast and that's not good. Learning an instrument, i.e. keeping at it is hard enough for most people. You don't want to ruin it from the start.
A decent guitar doesn't have to be expensive either. And I suggest to actually try a few out in a store before you buy anything. You can decide on a model there and try to get it cheaper elsewhere if it's too expensive.

Adamrogo said:
Nice amp man!

I used to have a Dual Rec just like that, it was within the first 1000 made, and in the first year. The effects loop was different, had a larger output transformer, had a chrome chassis, and a black powder coated diamond plate face, all stock.

They are pretty rare, and I sold mine for quite a profit once I got my Mark III.

[/IMG]

I think only the first 500 had the Mark 4 transformer. Speaking with Tien Lawrence of Mesa regarding tube choices, he told me the reason they stopped using that transformer was due to supply for the new ones, and that the amp sounded too dark and noisy, even on the clean channel, but they had slightly better dynamics, but the tradeoff was worth it to them.

Mine is a 95'. It was my first BIG amp. Was a huge Soundagarden fan back then and noticed they used Rectifiers, so my dumbass worked like a madman and saved up enough for the amp.

this is an old pick but it's still the same gear

m_5bee2859ddb5d10e26f0490a93d32aa6.jpg

on the right is a purplish/black ESP LTD with Floyd Rose locking system and EMG-81 pickups
on the left is my pride and joy, an epiphone custom black beauty les paul
the amplifier is from the marshall valvestate line and is 100watts
stomp pedals are both DOD brand, one is Grunge one is Death, the wah-wah is by VOX

fugimax

on the right is a purplish/black ESP LTD with Floyd Rose locking system and EMG-81 pickups
Assuming that is your "Metallica Guitar" ... paired with the Marshall you've got some serious KH going on.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
love.jpg

That's my main guitar, a JJ Jewel HB - hand made in the UK, mahogany body and neck, most beautiful guitar I've ever played. I don't deserve it. :D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Rufus said:
If you get a piece of shit chances are you'll grow frustrated with it very fast and that's not good. Learning an instrument, i.e. keeping at it is hard enough for most people. You don't want to ruin it from the start.

A decent guitar doesn't have to be expensive either. And I suggest to actually try a few out in a store before you buy anything. You can decide on a model there and try to get it cheaper elsewhere if it's too expensive.

This man speaks the truth. Look at reviews of budget guitars in the guitar press, try a few out at shops, ask the staff for advice (bearing in mind that there's a certain incentive for them to sell you something regardless of whether it matches your requirements). A horrible guitar will put you right off, and you don't have to pay a fortune for something good.

Adamrogo

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
I think only the first 500 had the Mark 4 transformer. Speaking with Tien Lawrence of Mesa regarding tube choices, he told me the reason they stopped using that transformer was due to supply for the new ones, and that the amp sounded too dark and noisy, even on the clean channel, but they had slightly better dynamics, but the tradeoff was worth it to them.

Mine is a 95'. It was my first BIG amp. Was a huge Soundagarden fan back then and noticed they used Rectifiers, so my dumbass worked like a madman and saved up enough for the amp.

It's possible that it's the first 500, could be more, they surprisingly don't keep track of the serial numbers with such precision, so it's very much an educated guessing game. I just know that the one I had was that very first version. I sometimes regret selling it, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

Here is my Rickenbacker 325, sort of a collectors item more than a playable guitar.

rig4.jpg

Adamrogo

Banned
birdman said:
From left to right: Squire Bullet, Agile 2500, and Fender Mexican Strat.

Great guitar for the price, and I love the color.

Here's a couple I just took now, the 2 EBMM's and the PRS, then the Explorer and a Fender Japan 5 string bass.

gaftar1.jpg

gaftar2.jpg

Phthisis

j5hxmb.jpg

21l272x.jpg

m7b951.jpg

Just picked up the guitar for the first time a couple months ago. I'm still learning, but I have made some good progress and fallen in love with the sound of the acoustic.

Adamrogo said:

Holy shit you have the exact same guitar as me. Even seems to maybe be the same color. Saphire blue i think it's called, or something like that? A very deep but pale metallic blue. Yours might be more grey though, It's difficult to tell in your pics.

EDIT - Actually not quite the same, I have the piezo's on mine. Otherwise the same though.

Anyway, I absolutely adore the axe and am going to pick up a 7 stringer when I get a stable job (still in college).

What is different about the BFR JP other than the apparently standard arm rest and finish?

Adamrogo

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
Holy shit you have the exact same guitar as me. Even seems to maybe be the same color. Saphire blue i think it's called, or something like that? A very deep but pale metallic blue. Yours might be more grey though, It's difficult to tell in your pics.

EDIT - Actually not quite the same, I have the piezo's on mine. Otherwise the same though.

Anyway, I absolutely adore the axe and am going to pick up a 7 stringer when I get a stable job (still in college).

What is different about the BFR JP other than the apparently standard arm rest and finish?

It is Graphite Pearl.

The BFR is made of an alder body, with a block of mahogany going from the bridge to the neck pocket, and topped with 5A maple. The neck is painted and is mahogany. The tone pot is now a push/pull to activate all 4 coils in the middle position, mixing the Strat sound with a humbucker The guitar sounds monstrous, really makes the JP6 sound like a toy. The tonewoods add depth to the piezo sound as well.

Other than that, it has a more aggressive cutaway, the body is larger and wider, comes standard with BFR inlay and piezo, and of course the gorgeous tops and finish. Well worth the money, and wait.

Flo_Evans

hot thread! Reminds me I need to get my favorite amp and guitar back from my brother! Will post some pics latter tonight.

blanky

1322454189_l.jpg

My Epiphone Dot. Previous to that I owned an Aria PE I believe, gorgeous finish. The body was low at the sides and in the middle thicker in a really pretty three burst finish. The amp there isn't mine though, that's an, as far as I know, 60's Fender Champ. It had volume issues though.

Besides that I own a Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss TU 1 and a Cry Baby plugged into a standard Marshall transistor amp. Oh and Proco cables, really cool stuff, had a Rat prior to that but sold it off to buy the Fuzz Factory which is .. weird.

I don't have a digital camera, but here is my gear

Mesa boogie Rect-o-verb combo. First model type.
RecVerbcom.gif

Gibson Les Paul Custom looks pretty much like this but its a 86' model
1.jpg

Fender stratocaster pretty much exactly like this but has some apparent age and heavy usage from my dad and myself shown. 77' model.
Stratocaster1977.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Haven't played for several years now, but I was guitarist in a Psychobilly combo back in school. Here's my old baby:
smallCIMG4081.jpg

smallCIMG4082.jpg

smallCIMG4083.jpg

It's an early Marathon Jazz which I spiced up with a Bigsby, a new adjustable metal bridge, and a celluloid pickguard. I also dipped the pickups in wax for ze smooth sound ;). Amp was a cheapish Peavey combo, wasn't able to afford a Bassman back then.

uncdeez

The OP has two Petrucci signature MMs and neither are the "mystic dream" color? Although if you had a JP signature Ibanez I'd be even more jealous.

birdman

Adamrogo said:
Great guitar for the price, and I love the color.

Yeah, it may not be a Gibson, but damn if it isn't a good knock-off. I hardly play it though, not a huge fan of painted necks, so the Strat gets the most play time. I love it. :D

Me and my Gibson SG Gothic and Marshall half-stack.

l_92662da5b8860284a01e8a95359eab94.jpg

A shot of how freakin' dirty my guitar is.

l_beba7d3f14e11b010dec7e99cfff9b21.jpg

This shot's been doctored (obviously) so my SG looks really shiny even though it's a matte finish. Also a good shot of my JCM2000 head.

l_cd7fce9cc74a4d36bbb60fb60845ee59.jpg

I also own a Gibson SG standard but unfortunately I don't have any pics of it.

klausbert

Ok, i'll post my little collection now:
First my G&L Tribute Strat, i got it new for 350€ from ebay, the actual price is be 550€. I wanted one in olympic white, but the hell, it was cheap and the sound compensates for the color. Great great Strat that i really love. i doubt there are many Stratocasters that sound as beautiful as this baby :). She has a sustain like some Gibson Les Pauls. The only downside is that she's also as heavy as some Gibson Les Pauls:lol. The Hardware is manufactured in the USA and the guitar was bulit in Korea. I'd recommend everybody looking for a strat to try this gem out.
jpeqrr.jpg

This is my Epiphone Les Paul. I have changed the stock pickups with a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Neck. It didn't sound so good in the beginning, but i changed the pickups and it was just beautiful. Especially the neck has such a warm and full clean tone. I love playing moody stuff on it. The nridge has this typical thin nridge tone, suits Country and some Blues very well, and distorted it's very good for heavy stuff.

6hjdxy.jpg

That's the combo for eventual stage use and bandroom jamming. A Kustom Defender 40 Watt Tube Amp. It has all features i want a amp to have, top boost, EL34 or 6L5 valves can be both used, and a nice spring reverb. Only cost 400€.

b4g307.jpg

These are my effects, a V-Amp 2, which is kinda nice for Playing with hreadphones. A modded Crybaby, a Big Muff which i like for solos and a Nobels ODR-1, which has a really great Overdrive Sound. I can get it to sound smooth or twangy, which is nice.

2z53pf5.jpg

And last and least :lol is the cheap 40€ wetsern guitar from Harley Benton. Well, for the money it gets straight tones out.....doesn't sound incredibly good, but it's ok.
20kodx3.jpg

I also have a Roland Cube 15, the old version without the effects. It has a nice clean channel, but the distortion....is kinda meh.

Great thread! I also play guitar! :D

OP, I reckon you are fan of John Petrucci and Dream Theater :D

Here's my amps and pedals:

DSC05913.jpg

I don't have a pic of my guitars at hand but they are mostly Ibanez and custom strats

I've always wanted a pedal board, but I don't play out, so all I have is a Dunlop Crybaby and a Boss SD-1 for a bit of flavour over my Dual Rectifier sometimes.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Still a beginner, but loving guitars

My Ibanez RG350 DX White:

iy311u.jpg

Havent gotten an amp yet, since im still in the suck stages of playing, using a POD 2.0 with headphones:

122i254.jpg

if anyone that knows some some custom pod tones and recommend me some ill apreciate it.

Top Bottom