• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
I wish this would prompt other devs to lower the price of their games and make money on volume rather than cost.

Having said that, I would have been fine with GC being a dollar or two more.

DaBoss

uFAa6MP.png
Pacman graphs with a number is the best.
Code:
----------------------------------------------
| Platform     | Percentage(%) | Total Sales |
----------------------------------------------
| eShop        |        79.7   |     199,250 |
| Google Play  |        12.87  |      32,175 |
| iOS Appstore |         6.45  |      16,125 |
| Amazon       |         0.42  |       1,050 |
| Mac Appstore |         0.419 |       1,048 |
| PC           |         0.14  |         352 |
It's not entirely accurate, but it should be close to the real deal. I believe everything is rounded up except for two things, The Mac Store percentage to keep the order intact, and the Total Sales # for PC since the percentage was just a difference to the total of the other percentages subtracted by 100 since the angle itself was too small to calculate lol.

Beril mentioned that the PC version wasn't released on Steam.

terrisus

Earlier today I tweeted that GC has passed a quarter of a million copies sold combined, so I figured I might as well update this thread with a new pacman graph.

uFAa6MP.png

It's been out for about a year on the western eShops now and 6 months in Japan (though I don't have numbers for december in japan yet), and the legs are still crazy. The steam version will finally be released next week so it'll be interesting to see how that compares, and I'll be sure to share as much as I can.

Really appreciative of this, it's great to actually be getting some conrete information on stuff.

It really makes me wonder why so many devs are just content to ignore Nintendo's eShop as a revenue source. There's been a few clear success stories now but no one really seems to care.

It only gets crazier when you realize that most games on App/google store don't actually success unless they are free. I believe an article pointed out that 1% of mobile games actually success.

And also, as was pointed out at the beginning of this thread, how dependent iOS/Android games are on being "featured" on those shops. If a game goes up on one of those and doesn't get featured, it seems like a death blow pretty much.

beril

Can't wait for the steam numbers !

Evil of you to release in the winter sales xD

He said it is coming next week

I didn't think about that and didn't know the dates for the sale when I set the release date. It's now set to january 3rd, last day of the sale, which is probably not a very good time to release. I could easily change it of course but I've already announced the date so I'm not sure I'll bother

BTW beril, any info whether Gunman Clive is getting a Miiverse community anytime soon?

Yes I talked to Nintendo briefly about it before Christmas, I just need to send in a form and some banners basically, so hopefully that'll get sorted soon

I wish this would prompt other devs to lower the price of their games and make money on volume rather than cost.

Having said that, I would have been fine with GC being a dollar or two more.

Obviously the price is in no small part a reason for the success, but I don't think it's as easy as saying that everyone should lower their prices or that I'm undercharging for it. It is a tiny game without much content that was developed by one person in quite a short amount of time.

Also from what I hear about steam people pretty much price their games with the holiday sales in mind, so a lot of indie games probably sell the bulk of their total sales at 50-80% off, so basically as cheap as GC is.

oatmeal

Banned
Obviously the price is in no small part a reason for the success, but I don't think it's as easy as saying that everyone should lower their prices or that I'm undercharging for it. It is a tiny game without much content that was developed by one person in quite a short amount of time.

Also from what I hear about steam people pretty much price their games with the holiday sales in mind, so a lot of indie games probably sell the bulk of their total sales at 50-80% off, so basically as cheap as GC is.

Nintendo, for starters, sells garbage like Balloon Fight for $5. Your game is much better with more content.

I'm just saying that, in general, I think devs could learn something from pricing aggressively. Two Tribes has done it with their catalogue releases on the Wii U and I'm sure a lot of people are buying them, more so than if they were each $5.99.

Oh well. Can't wait for the next ones!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe the secret to a successful eshop game is having it be Western-themed

Clive, Dillon, Steamworld... just sayin

Wow, around 80% of its sales are on 3DS. Makes you wonder why the 3DS doesn't get more support from mobile devs.
A lot of mobile devs only sees the tree and not the forest (ok, I may have mangled that idiom), instead of saying "this is reasonable", they shoot for the Candy Crush/Puzzle and Dragon numbers.

Jhoan

I was just playing it about half an hour ago on Stage 13. I paused it and closed my 3DS to use the laptop. It was the first eShop game I bought when I got my 3DS XL in November. I'm playing as the female character because why not? The price and the fact that it's portable are a perfect fit for the 3DS. Definitely have been enjoying the quirky Wild West setting.

I didn't think about that and didn't know the dates for the sale when I set the release date. It's now set to january 3rd, last day of the sale, which is probably not a very good time to release. I could easily change it of course but I've already announced the date so I'm not sure I'll bother
The date is not too bad. After the other games go up in price again GC will remain that low ;)
To push sales further down the line really think about implementing cards (dunno about the effort needed - best case would be 7 artworks + naming) and release it with an update in late February combined with steam news entry or something like this.

I think there is great money to be made from Steam sales even for the cheaper titles.
Super Hexagon is comparable to Gunman Clive as it only costs $3.00. But even at that cheap price, I always see lots of people on my friends list buying it during Steam sales at $0.99 or whatever. It's interesting that people wait for a $3 game to have a sale but I bet it still makes a ton of money during the sale even at those very cheap prices.

(I'm going to double dip on Steam by the way. I already beat it on 3DS)

disap.ed

Earlier today I tweeted that GC has passed a quarter of a million copies sold combined, so I figured I might as well update this thread with a new pacman graph.

uFAa6MP.png

It's been out for about a year on the western eShops now and 6 months in Japan (though I don't have numbers for december in japan yet), and the legs are still crazy. The steam version will finally be released next week so it'll be interesting to see how that compares, and I'll be sure to share as much as I can.

Is a WiiU version still possible? Would probably tripple-dip (already own Android and 3DS-Version).

EdgeXL

I am glad that the 3DS provided a large user base for this game. I was one who bought it on 3DS. I did get Gunman Clive from Amazon as a free app of the day. I think I'll buy another copy for my second 3DS.

Yes I talked to Nintendo briefly about it before Christmas, I just need to send in a form and some banners basically, so hopefully that'll get sorted soon

What you did right imo is price parity. That's one of the reasons I bought Gunman Clive. At least you don't apply that button tax. And that's what devs should do if they want their games to be successful IMO.

Coldsun

Banned
I'm definitely thinking of picking it up on Steam, especially at the price point (1.99).
Curious if trading cards are still planned?

beril

Small update with the first two months of Steam sales:

EMD2Dus.png

Descent first few days but then it dropped of quickly. The 3DS legs continue to be ridiculous though, and sold more than the steam version in the same time even though it's been out for over a year (this chart doesn't include japanese sales):

OUkHQNX.png

beril

What caused the Google Jump? Is the graph in number of copies sold or $$$?

That's all explained back in the first post (short story: featured by google). The graphs are launch aligned so that google spike happened years ago, and the sales on android has basically flatlines ages ago.
The graphs are all in # units sold.

That's all explained back in the first post (short story: featured by google). The graphs are launch aligned so that google spike happened years ago, and the sales on android has basically flatlines ages ago.
The graphs are all in # units sold.

Just read that, thanks.

mclem

I'll be particularly interested to see the numbers after its first inclusion in a Steam sale. On the one hand I wouldn't expect it to have much impact given it's so cheap already, but on the other, Steam sales do weird things.

That said, I doubt it'd be a high-profile daily, so maybe it wouldn't have that much impact.

Crub

Gunman Clieve would probably have sold more than twice the copies on Steam if it was released with Steam cards. The store page doesn't even mention the game supports controllers.

freoleo29

Bought this a few weeks ago on 3ds and still haven't played it,(Pokemon is consuming my gaming time)
Glad to see the game keeps selling though i hope other dev's follow through with $3 3ds games.

Knurek

Small update with the first two months of Steam sales:
Descent first few days but then it dropped of quickly.

That seems to be par for the course, looking at other devs' stories.
Should be a large, large spike if/when you manage to hit a daily/be featured on one of the major sales.
Hopefully, what you have so far did offset porting costs, if not, keeping my fingers crossed you will recouple them soon.

Platy

That is really impressive.

Now I want to see even more the data for the next steam sale =O

If the game goes on sale do you count the number of copies or the amount of money ?

beril

That is really impressive.

Now I want to see even more the data for the next steam sale =O

If the game goes on sale do you count the number of copies or the amount of money ?

When I'm bragging about my sales numbers I'll obviously use the number copies sold regardless of revenue :p

I haven't counted bundles though (haven't been in any really big ones).. maybe I should start doing that

That seems to be par for the course, looking at other devs' stories.
Should be a large, large spike if/when you manage to hit a daily/be featured on one of the major sales.
Hopefully, what you have so far did offset porting costs, if not, keeping my fingers crossed you will recouple them soon.

I hardly have any costs so I wouldn't worry about that.

Khaz

It's like as long as you have a quality game you're bound to have good sales on the 3DS eShop. I assume it would be because people gaming on consoles tend to get their advice on the web whereas app people only check the storefront once in a while to see what's newly featured. Different buying behaviour between 3DS owners and phone owners? Maybe it's not the same market after all?

Knurek

Glad to hear that and I really hope the whole Desura and/or Greenlight situation hasn't completely turned you off of PC - console-less people like me are still looking forward to your next game. :)

Khaz

When I'm bragging about my sales numbers I'll obviously use the number copies sold regardless of revenue :p

I haven't counted bundles though (haven't been in any really big ones).. maybe I should start doing that

Are you rich now? Or at least do you earn enough to make your next game without money pressure?
What's you next game?

Can you tell us more about the japanese market? How did you find your publisher, or did they find you? How are the sales so far?

Regarding your Miiverse presence, who decides on what? Is Nintendo asking you to get on it or did you have to make the first move? Some communities are worldwide, others are divided by regions, some allow screnshots... Who should we blame Who is the decision maker?

beril

Are you rich now? Or at least do you earn enough to make your next game without money pressure?
What's you next game?

Can you tell us more about the japanese market? How did you find your publisher, or did they find you? How are the sales so far?

Regarding your Miiverse presence, who decides on what? Is Nintendo asking you to get on it or did you have to make the first move? Some communities are worldwide, others are divided by regions, some allow screnshots... Who should we blame Who is the decision maker?

Kindof, yes, no comment

I got contacted by a few different publishers for the japanese version after I released in the west. The sales are excellent. (The publisher was going to make an announcement about the japanese sales around now, I'm not sure if they have yet so I probably shouldn't give the number before they announce it).

Ooops I completely forgot about Miiverse. I was going to send in the forms and stuff but then something got in the way and I forgot about it

Kindof, yes, no comment

I got contacted by a few different publishers for the japanese version after I released in the west. The sales are excellent. (The publisher was going to make an announcement about the japanese sales around now, I'm not sure if they have yet so I probably shouldn't give the number before they announce it).

Ooops I completely forgot about Miiverse. I was going to send in the forms and stuff but then something got in the way and I forgot about it

You've created a great game, and I'm happy to see it's a success (even though it would deserve an even greater success).

I bought it on Steam, and for such a low price, I expected it to sell way more copies. But probably your charts will explode during the next Steam sale (I hope!).

beril

Wait so the 3DS sales are higher than Steam even now? That is probably the best sign for the eShop.

Yes the 3DS version sold more than the PC version during the Steam launch month, one year after its eShop debut. It's pretty crazy.

Banned
I'd say its due to it being featured on the eShop quite prominently mixed with slimmer pickins than the competition.

Oregano

Yes the 3DS version sold more than the PC version during the Steam launch month, one year after its eShop debut. It's pretty crazy.

That's really nice to see.

I'd say its due to it being featured on the eShop quite prominently mixed with slimmer pickins than the competition.

Beril has said before that the sales have been steady regardless of whether it was on the front page. Also the 3DS eShop is definitely not slim pickins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom