• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

tumblr_m365fzBGiu1qjwjobo4_250.gif

Koroviev

it's totally weird that Jim Sterling actually said that stuff. Was it a while ago? Even so, pretty weird.

I listen to the Destructoid podcast and if anything he's more of a feminist than a sexist. And his wife is, like, a serious feminist.

That's what I was thinking :\

Mzo

I'm an editor for Destructoid, and Ryan Perez was an intern who we brought on recently. I met him during E3, and he's a great guy. I'm not defending what he said to Felicia Day, because it was terrible no matter how you slice it. However, I don't believe Ryan fancies himself extra special just because he's a games blogger. He honestly was not familiar with Felicia Day's body of work, her name came up in a discussion with his friends, then he jumped onto Twitter before thinking about his actions clearly. An unfortunate decision that cost him, but I don't think less of him. He leaped before he looked, is all.
His only mistakes were not fully understanding Twitter and being completely unaware of this girl's rabid fan base.

Harsh penalty, you'd think a public apology would be enough.

His only mistakes were not fully understanding Twitter and being completely unaware of this girl's rabid fan base.

I would say his mistake wasn't in what he asked but how he asked it: The 'booth babe' comment was embarrassing and out of line.

mcdoomington

Neo Member
it's totally weird that Jim Sterling actually said that stuff. Was it a while ago? Even so, pretty weird.

I listen to the Destructoid podcast and if anything he's more of a feminist than a sexist. And his wife is, like, a serious feminist.

His tweets in that whole snafu were more of a response to her. Some of the stuff she was tweeting was pretty bad as well.

If Ryan owns this incident and learns from it, he'll be back in the game soon enough. People have come back from worse, I'm sure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Didn't she do that horrible fruit ninja roleplay at the VGA's? That's all I can recall she's done.

She got popular from "The Guild" an awesome web series she created, least that's where I first heard of her. She's done some awesome work in self-publishing from what I've seen.

From that popularity she got some gigs around the industry. She's "done things" for sure, and does contribute to the industry.

SmithnCo

Didn't she do that horrible fruit ninja roleplay at the VGA's? That's all I can recall about her.

Hah, I forgot about that. Every time they cut to one of her segments it was a new form of embarassment. Like the VGAs in general I guess. Good times.

wotta

I only just had my GAF account authorized a couple days ago, so I apologize if I'm just popping "out of the blue."

I'm an editor for Destructoid, and Ryan Perez was an intern who we brought on recently. I met him during E3, and he's a great guy. I'm not defending what he said to Felicia Day, because it was terrible no matter how you slice it. However, I don't believe Ryan fancies himself extra special just because he's a games blogger. He honestly was not familiar with Felicia Day's body of work, her name came up in a discussion with his friends, then he jumped onto Twitter before thinking about his actions clearly. An unfortunate decision that cost him, but I don't think less of him. He leaped before he looked, is all.

So yes, this whole affair was rather disappointing, but he really isn't the self-important misogynist that he's been painted as on Twitter.

An honest mistake, which he has paid for. People should leave it at that. I also feel its wrong that people are making insulting and horrible comments to him. Doesn't that make them just as wrong?

she's not even that cute.

not that it matters...I've personally never consumed any media she's had a hand in.

With that said. This is stupid.

Also, I think people are to quick to call the dude a "misogynist" or a "sexist". Were his comments fucking rude? Sure. Misogynistic? I think I missed the part where he called her "a dumb broad with a nice rack"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
His tweets in that whole snafu were more of a response to her. Some of the stuff she was tweeting was pretty bad as well.

If Ryan owns this incident and learns from it, he'll be back in the game soon enough. People have come back from worse, I'm sure.

He was only an intern. Dude's career in game journalism is over.

prwxv3

If any of you are interested why Jaffe thinks this way, his game Twisted Metal, his team, and himself was attacked by leigh alexander (there were also some snarky remarks about TM from her followers that she retweeted)from Gamasutra and not many people came to his defense and he did not even get a apology from alexander at all.

Wasn't my decision. Nonetheless, he wasn't a full-time member of the staff, so we just took the best course of action for the situation. He'll be fine, though. I'm sure of it.

They were pretty embarrassing before all of this.

One day, I would like to know exactly why people feel this way.

If any of you are interested why Jaffe thinks this way, his game Twisted Metal, his team, and himself was attacked by leigh alexander (there were also some snarky remarks about TM from her followers that she retweeted)from Gamasutra and not many people came to his defense and he did not even get a apology from alexander at all.

nvm

NateDrake

And Jaffe is right to his claim of both sides -- male & female -- should have equal defenders for this stuff.

Exactly. I just wanted to write this.

So much hypocrisy. What a childish industry it still is.

zethren

Banned
A gaming journalist at Destructoid was questioning what someone else was creatively contributing to the industry...

...god.

When journalism, that should be about reporting and informing, is awful at its basic functions and believes that they should be under the spotlights too, there is not much to add to the industry it feeds off. From that point, questioning others is even more abhorrent.

Nome

So from what I've gathered here, Felicia Day is probably the only one that's done the right thing here... said absolutely fucking nothing. And good on her for that.

In the "insulting" tweets, I replaced "Felicia Day" with "Geoff Keighley" and had a good laugh.

Also David Gaffe just became my hero.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wasn't my decision. Nonetheless, he wasn't a full-time member of the staff, so we just took the best course of action for the situation. He'll be fine, though. I'm sure of it.

Pretty sure he's fucked for the foreseeable future if he intended to pursue this career path. If you start shit while you're still an intern that's bad enough to get you fired from that internship, that ain't good... especially in such a small industry.

Especially with the industry's newly-found ultrasensitivity to everything.

It seems like this industry can't handle women being a part of it.

I actually don't get it. It isn't that fucking hard. Like. Who gives a shit if a person's got a pair of tits. If she's ugly or cute. Like. It baffles me. Is it that hard to not be a fucking fifth grader about EVERYTHING.

Goddamnit sometimes I play a game and I fucking thank the people that started this industry for making this magical experience possible. Than weird shit like this happens and I'm reminded how much of a fuckinh joke the industry truly is.

It's like getting a the worlds best blowjob for the worlds ugliest broad. oh crap that was sexist wasn't it

It's a fair question to ask just about any of the personalities involved in gaming. The "booth babe" part was incredibly stupid. An apology should have been requested, and if he gave it he should have kept his job. His response to his firing is evidence that if he had apologized it wouldn't have been sincere. Kind of hard to feel any sympathy for someone that shows zero remorse for being an ass.

I haven't seen much of Day's work in acting, only the guest spot in Supernatural.

She was terrible in the episode.

I like her personality, but she's a shit actress. She did voice work in Fallout New Vegas. Really really bad voicework.

Top Bottom