• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

They could attempt to hide these jackass personalities, but even the junior internet detectives will sniff them out in no time at all.

Some people are shitheads...just plain shitheads. They get themselves into situations where they have all the time in the world to figure out the right things to say but they still manage to screw it up.

Felicia Day is just a person. No reason to be overly passive aggressive like this intern, no reason to treat her like royalty like Destructoid has.

Basically everyone is an idiot.

Yagharek

I have to admit I'm confused at the phenomenon of game industry commentators being the news story rather than the games themselves.

OMG Aero

Mostly know Felicia Day from Eureka....and she sucks in that

Should have let her character stay dead
I think it's great that the last season of Eureka ever is primarily about a character that only showed up last season and constant back and forth over
she's dead, no wait she's alive again, no wait she's dead again
instead of being about the other characters in the show.

Yes, he has every right to pose any questions.
But his questions beg for other questions.

Does she detracts/harms the industry?
Does she identifies herself as of importance to the industry?
Does others indentify her as of importance or 'face' to the industry?

It appears to me she is neutral on all stances. So what would be the importance on valueing her worth? What is there to appease other than curiosity? And if it was genuine curiosity, couldn't he pose this question to himself and rationalize and gauge her value from there?
I too think that she's pretty quiet and neutral in all this. That's smart and I respect that.
I think the guy's lying about not knowing her, I think he was just irritated by her in some way and her "geek queen" status so he lashed out. We won't ever know really. But the reason isn't really that important. The guy came out as a douche because, like you said, if it interested him that much, he could have done it in a different way.

But to get fired on instant for that... I don't know. That seems pretty shitty to me. :/
He just lost a job, income. Think about that. Over what? Couple of tweets on social media?
Maybe I'm a bit soft here, but were talking about man's job.
"But he should have known better" you might say. True. But then again...I somewhat feel sorry for the man (in respect that he just lost a JOB over A TWEET).
Anyway, it was on twitter, anyone can do anything.
Amen to that.

Oh whow, just whow... I was just on Twitter when this was happening so I followed the whole thing. David Fucking Jaffe nailed it!

First of all, I don't like Felicia Day. I respect her work in the social media/webseries space, but I'm not a fan. Nothing personal, different taste, I guess.

This Destruction guy is an idiot. That booth babe part was unnecessary and rude but he had every right to post that question. What? Just because it's Felicia Day, she's untouchable? Please... everyone has the right to be questioned and evaluated (although in a civil and polite matter).

All I wanted to say is: yes, the guy's an idiot for posting that question IN THAT MANNER, but he had every right to ask that. I don't see her contribution to the *gaming* industry (social media/webseries, sure, without a doubt).

And Jaffe hit the point immediately. He's 100% right. He met Felicia Day and has huge respect for her. He said the guy's an idiot for posting that BUT if this industry wants to be fair, why isn't anyone "jumping to defense" when lots of other shit is happening in the industry to various people? Huh? Talk about being fair & honest.

Q.E.D.

I partially agree with the comment. But as a journalist, it seemed to come from a place of ignorance. If all you knew about her was her web series then that question would be understandable. If he did his research he would see that she did VO work on some well known franchises (fallout NV, Dragon Age II, Guild Wars 2). Which simply makes his question pointless from the jump.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually with Perez on this. I despise Felicia Day.

For what reason?

Whether you dislike her or not, you think this guy was in the right by randomly talking shit to someone? You don't just call people out, completely out of the blue, and demand that they prove their worth to you (especially when you are a fucking nobody with an inflated ego).

Row

Banned
writer is an idiot, but destructoid's comment...

We have great respect for the contributions @feliciaday has made both to the culture and business of games and online entertainment.

...is just hilarious

Koroviev

I'm actually with Perez on this. I despise Felicia Day.

The issue is not necessarily that he was questioning the merit of Day's contributions. The problem is the manner in which he expressed his thoughts. Rather than inquiring, he was more or less accusing.

Margalis

Banned
Why does Whitta show up every time there is some petty twitter feud between some D-listers nobody gives a shit about?

It's like...he is some sort of Twitter train-wreck vampire, feeding of off ridiculously manufactured melodrama.

Edit: Not an attack on Whitta, just an observation.

It's embarrassing.

I doubt she even knows what destructoid is, let alone cares what they think of her. both sides of this is just fucking ridiculous.

And making a public, formal apology over twitter? Where the fuck is the professionalism in that?

I'm telling you guys, this is like a group of boys on the playground playing house or businessman. It's fucking insipid

But to get fired on instant for that... I don't know. That seems pretty shitty to me. :/
He just lost a job, income. Think about that. Over what? Couple of tweets on social media?
"But he should have known better" you might say. True. But then again...I somewhat feel sorry for the man (in respect that he just lost a JOB over A TWEET).

Its part of his job to do some research and not ask stupid questions. He is a an outward representation of his company, of course if he says something insulting on a public platform he is going to be held responsible for it.

Lancehead

Why should we think about his job? He was irresponsible, rude and unprofessional. He ruined his position, there's no injustice thrust upon him. "Couple of tweets on social media?" is very reductive ignoring the context and it's meaning.

kuroshiki

I don't know any of them but I can say this.

When one is in public relation such as journalist or reporter, the first thing they should learn from their class should be : THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SPEAK AND IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHETHER YOU SHOULD SPEAK OR NOT, then SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Clearly this perez guy doesn't know how to do that and by all means he should be fired.

Lothars

It's embarrassing.
No, The original writer is embarrasing because if he would have wrote the question differently or not acted like he did than it's a none issue.

Felicia Day has done entertaining stuff and well the fanbase shouldn't be jumping all over the guy, There's nothing wrong with what Destructoid said.

I consider her above Jessica Chobot. That's not saying much at all though.

There's been a lot of this "Does so and so even deserve to be called a Geek/Gamer/Nerd?" stuff going around and it just makes my head hurt. It does suck that some people do tend to act a certain way to appeal to a genre of fans that are eager to say "They're just like us!". I just wish we can move passed this all and get back to gaming.

Koroviev

Why should we think about his job? He was irresponsible, rude and unprofessional. He ruined his position, there's no injustice thrust upon him. "Couple of tweets on social media?" is very reductive ignoring the context and it's meaning.

I think people look at sites like Destructoid and Joystiq and assume "it's just a video game site, nothing serious." However, for the people who work there, it's still an employer. If you act foolishly while representing your company, whatever it may produce, don't expect leeway.

I too think that she's pretty quiet and neutral in all this. That's smart and I respect that.
I think the guy's lying about not knowing her, I think he was just irritated by her in some way and her "geek queen" status so he lashed out. We won't ever know really. But the reason isn't really that important. The guy came out as a douche because, like you said, if it interested him that much, he could have done it in a different way.

Amen to that.

When you are personally tied to a company, it should go without saying that public statements should be well thought throughout, since they may be considered representative or shared by the company. This topic illustrates that well :p. Unless he is of utmost or strong importance to the company, it is easier to cut ties than make retractments.

Why does Whitta show up every time there is some petty twitter feud between some D-listers nobody gives a shit about?

It's like...he is some sort of Twitter train-wreck vampire, feeding of off ridiculously manufactured melodrama.

He is not hanging with Will Smith at this moment, that's why.

Its part of his job to do some research and not ask stupid questions. He is a an outward representation of his company, of course if he says something insulting on a public platform he is going to be held responsible for it.
I know, I know. Don't worry. I'm perfectly aware of his idiocy and yes, you can even say: "he deserve it".
This all seems a bit silly to me honestly. But I guess social media is truly a "force" in our lives today. You have to be responsible for your actions.

No, The original writer is embarrasing because if he would have wrote the question differently or not acted like he did than it's a none issue.

Felicia Day has done entertaining stuff and well the fanbase shouldn't be jumping all over the guy, There's nothing wrong with what Destructoid said.

He's an idiot, obviously. But Destructoid are idiots for responding to his ridiculous "what do you being to gaming?!" shit by basically implying she's far more important than she is.

It's simple really. When debating somebody's qualifications you have to be respectful.

Being respectful is not asking a woman why she isn't hawking software in a bikini at a trade-show.

What a twit, not sure what he was expecting to happen.
Twitter seems to be good at exposing a certain of jackassery.

If Twitter had some sort of function where users had to take a sobriety test before they could post it would probably save so many jobs.

Sblargh

Banned
What a twit, not sure what he was expecting to happen.
Twitter seems to be good at exposing a certain of jackassery.

I think he was trying to build an internet persona as someone who is "pissed off" and has controversial opinions... which he succeded, but ouch, what an idiot.

Forkball

Not a big fan of Felicia Day or anything, but it seemed like he just went after her for no real reason and wanted to take petty pot shots at her. Not exactly the type of thing you would want a reporter doing.

B.O.O.M

Am I the only one who feels that this whole incident is getting blown way out of proportion? I mean geez. Someone said something negative about someone else on the internet, big deal. Hell I'm not sure if I even disagree with the man. Besides Dtoid should be used to such douche behavior too. They have Jimmy after all

Saw the guys profile and is bombarded with some rather angry tweets aimed at him now it seems.

AAlias

Neo Member
Mainstream gaming journalism is a joke these days. More caught up in their social media drama then games, and when they review games they barely even play the games anyways.

Jawmuncher

Kind of Ironic considering Destructoid loves to stir people up.
(AKA Jim Sterling)

I personally would not have cared in the slightest.

Akibared

Don't think he really needed to get fired but he learned that its better to keep shit to yourself sometimes the hard way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, i hope Dtroid fires other people for being dicks to people, man and woman alike.

Regardless of your opinion of Felicia Day, she's no more or less special than any other person connected to gaming.

Not a big fan of Felicia Day or anything, but it seemed like he just went after her for no real reason and wanted to take petty pot shots at her. Not exactly the type of thing you would want a reporter doing.

This is the gaming press we are talking about.
They're on the same level as The National Enquirer in terms of journalistic integrity.

i am of two minds about this:

-on the one hand, he acted unprofessionally.
-on the other, he is not wrong.
-on the other, his existence is about as if not more pointless than hers.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He shouldn't have been fired for that. In fact, he kind of has a point. As usual, a complete overreaction to a stupid comment. I thought his response to getting canned was witty and hilarious.

It is a stupid thing to ask (why does it matter whether she has contributed anything?) and poorly worded, but to fire him seems overly defensive to avoid burning any precious bridges.

Top Bottom