• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Jadax

Just downloading the game - play HS casually, can I expect a steep learning curve?

Also, how does it work? NA, EU, Asia servers?

JustinBB7

Faced a rank 15 rado with renew borkh. Couldn't win that one. Then played a Nilfgaard, I put out my crones, he puts them down to 7-7-7, I pass because already card up, he plays Gigni...on the melee row and concedes lmao.

Sorian

Banned
Faced a rank 15 rado with renew borkh. Couldn't win that one. Then played a Nilfgaard, I put out my crones, he puts them down to 7-7-7, I pass because already card up, he plays Gigni...on the melee row and concedes lmao.

I've done that quite a few times, when drunk or tired I find the opposing row to be a harsh matter of debate in my head :p

Sorian

Banned
This game is too legit for me. Played the tutorial and then one real game before uninstalling. I can't handle the mind game and bluffing aspect of it. Obviously very well made and I'm sure a ton of people are going to love it, just not my thing.

It's a very simple game mechanically, but extremely strategic. Not really like Hearthstone at all.

That's a shame, is maybe recommend waiting for the single player story mode to drop and giving it another shot. The community as a whole has some very strong decks so easing in against a computer might help you get the ropes down.

Wok

Has anyone received an invite to the GWENT beta since the start of February?

I have not received any invite despite the following tweet on February 3rd:

and the confirmation email from June 2016:

sndvA8A.png

Just reached rank 10 and level 26. As per usual, all my kegs were shit.

I was rank 2 when the Nilfgaard patch hit, and only started playing during the last patch, the one with all the PFI's. I've played a ton, and I'll get a bunch of kegs when the open beta hits so I think I'll give it a rest now.

They still need to solve the problem that every patch, they make a bunch of the cards completely useless, which means that you only see about 3-6 different kinds of decks being played. Monsters is the most common as it's the cheapest to craft, Scoia is the rarest as it's crazy expensive to craft. They need to find a balance. Personally I'd like to play Scoia, but the keg gods haven chosen to give me more Northern Realms cards, so I play that.

When the plan comes together, playing Pavetta and Sabrina is great fun. Unfortunately, you can only do it so many times before it gets stale. The staleness is going to be an even bigger problem when you get to singleplayer, as I imagine that they will give you a somewhat predetermined deck to play each campaign.

Also wish that they would drop some info about the campaigns. "Apparently" one of them will feature Meve. I guess they're going to do the story from the book.

F2P is very generous I must say. Never bought a keg, although I might buy some, and definitely the campaigns if they're handled well.

Jadax

Anyone know a site or forum where I can try to understand the game more, and then start to look at the easiest decks to play with.

Jadax

Ok so I played the tutorial - opened my 2 kegs (not sure if I should have right now, I basically picked the 5th cards as random ones I didn't have).

So am I right in assuming Campaign still isn't out?

The only way to level up is play casual or ranked games vs people?

Gwentdb still doesn't have a tracker (I think), so how do I tell if I can make some f2p deck without having to manually go through everything in my inventory.

First impressions:
- It's a nice game, the round of 3 is a nice touch - removes some of the luck factor that fucks you over in hs.
- I find the melee/ranged/siege lanes system an interesting idea.
- Definitely requires a little more thinking that hs (maybe I'm just feeling that because it's a new game for me).

JustinBB7

Ok so I played the tutorial - opened my 2 kegs (not sure if I should have right now, I basically picked the 5th cards as random ones I didn't have).

So am I right in assuming Campaign still isn't out?

The only way to level up is play casual or ranked games vs people?

Gwentdb still doesn't have a tracker (I think), so how do I tell if I can make some f2p deck without having to manually go through everything in my inventory.

First impressions:
- It's a nice game, the round of 3 is a nice touch - removes some of the luck factor that fucks you over in hs.
- I find the melee/ranged/siege lanes system an interesting idea.
- Definitely requires a little more thinking that hs (maybe I'm just feeling that because it's a new game for me).

gwentify has a collection manager. And plenty of cheap decks on there. I think more people use gwentdb but I personally like gwentify better.

No campaign yet no, there was a video leak and it looks really fun, hopefully out soon. Can only level up by playing against people yea.

Jadax

Went through the F2P decks on both sites - I'm actually missing quite a few cards from them lol. So much for f2p.

Anyways, I created a simple Skellige deck and been playing around with it. Simple and difficult at the same time. Need a decent mulligan to start off, otherwise can get completely overpowered (at least that's been my experience so far).

How does the friend system work in this game? Can't see any friend-list, and clicking on Play vs Friend just took me to an empty external tab.

JustinBB7

Went through the F2P decks on both sites - I'm actually missing quite a few cards from them lol. So much for f2p.

Anyways, I created a simple Skellige deck and been playing around with it. Simple and difficult at the same time. Need a decent mulligan to start off, otherwise can get completely overpowered (at least that's been my experience so far).

How does the friend system work in this game? Can't see any friend-list, and clicking on Play vs Friend just took me to an empty external tab.

Friend system goes through GOG, have to enable the overlay in GOG settings and add friends for it to work. It's still really bad though. GOG Galaxy is terrible.

Witcher 3 Gwent was about exploiting spies and decoys to build up ridiculous card advantage so you could then play a ton of cards for huge numbers. New Gwent is a lot more about bluffing and and trying to out-maneuver your opponent.

JustinBB7

Won a lot tonight, 1 win away from Rank 14, lose of course, game after a draw and lose another 19 points. That system is so fucking unfair.

Why do i remember the witcher 3 version of gwent being way more fun to play. This version is just so boring...

lol

Edit: And I made iiiitttt!

500 ores ontop of finishing my second set of dailies with that win, so I can open another 7 kegs after reaching 14. Plus another 2 kegs for after the wipe. Yay!

F2P is different than "starter cards only"

frontovik

Banned
How frequent are random disconnects? I get the impression that some people are sore losers and suddenly disconnect.

I still get the win .. but it's interesting to see that gamers get all uppity over their MMR.

JustinBB7

Huh, was playing vs a ST trap buff deck. He copied his silver card of course and put it down twice, the row was frosted but they stayed at 22 strength anyway, it never would in the past, that's how I beat them. Bug?

How frequent are random disconnects? I get the impression that some people are sore losers and suddenly disconnect.

I still get the win .. but it's interesting to see that gamers get all uppity over their MMR.

It's a game issue some people have problems with. The slightest hiccup in the internet makes them disconnect. Luckily I don't have this. But sometimes it happens to my opponents.

Sorian

Banned
Huh, was playing vs a ST trap buff deck. He copied his silver card of course and put it down twice, the row was frosted but they stayed at 22 strength anyway, it never would in the past, that's how I beat them. Bug?

It's a game issue some people have problems with. The slightest hiccup in the internet makes them disconnect. Luckily I don't have this. But sometimes it happens to my opponents.

He played quen?

JustinBB7

Finally got level 40 so that's nice for after the wipe. Went back and forth on the ladder but reached my highest mmr so far.

He played quen?

I did see it in his graveyard, don't remember him playing it, might have bounced it, but quen doesn't stop weather does it? Or does it work like that for the trap because of the change or something?

Sorian

Banned
Finally got level 40 so that's nice for after the wipe. Went back and forth on the ladder but reached my highest mmr so far.

I did see it in his graveyard, don't remember him playing it, might have bounced it, but quen doesn't stop weather does it? Or does it work like that for the trap because of the change or something?

Quen stops the first damage reducing effect and since you can now apply it to cards in your hand, the only thing that could reduce the strength of trap cards (weather) can now be blocked.

Edit: It was a stealth pretty good change actually. Surprised I don't see quen more, probably because current meta relies so heavily on thunder.

JustinBB7

New patch! https://playgwent.com/en/news#4770

General / Neutral

Avallach strength changed from 6 to 8.
Commanders Horn now adds +4 to a row.
Triss Merigold can now target both sides of the board.

Monsters

Ancient Foglet strength changed from 6 to 5.
Crones strength changed to 7,8,7.
Succubus strength change from 10 to 8.
Vran Warrior's Strength changed from 5 to 6.
Succubus will now place 'Agile' units on the opposite row upon moving them.
Vran Warrior will not consume a unit right after being played.

Skellige

King Bran now discards up to 3 cards and adds +1 base value.
Svanrige now draws cards first and then discards them.
Draig Bon Duh strength changed to 4.
Draig Bon Duh in no longer Relentless.
Draig Bon Duh ability changed to: add 3 base strength to 2 non-Gold units in your graveyard.
Clan Tordarroch Armorsmith strength changed from 6 to 5.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman gets +1 strength for every damaged unit on the opponents side of the board.
Ermion will now draw 2 cards and discard 2 cards.

Northern Realms

Kaedweni Siege Support can now only be placed on the siege row.
Reinforcements will now be able to target all Bronze cards, even if there are no copies left in the deck

Scoia'tael

Added a 1 turn timer to Dennis Cranmer - will now reset all other non-Gold units on the row at the end of the round.

Nilfgaard

Impera Brigade is now boosted only by spying units on opponents side of the board.
Treason now adds +8 to a opposing spying non-Gold unit.
Mangonel strength changed to from 4 to 6.
Spotters now recieve +1 for each revealed card wherever they are.
Spotters strength changed from 5 to 4.
Nauzicaa Brigade now deals 5 damage.
Impera Brigade now gets +3 strength instead of +2 of every spying units
Sweers strength changed from 7 to 8.
Vanhemar strength changed from 7 to 8.
Cynthia's Guardian strength changed from 8 to 6.
Menno Coehoorn strength changed from 9 to 10.
Xarthisius strength changed from 9 to 11.
Morvran Voorhis will not shuffle the deck after using his ability.

Game fixes / changes:

Fixed an issue witch Reinforced Trebuchet ability countdown continuing in the graveyard after if it's removed from the board.
Fixed an issue with Regis not transforming into Higher Vampire.
Fixed a rare issue with using Treason on a damaged Cantarella: the card will not be moved to the graveyard anymore.
Tibor Eggebracht now gains base value strength and reverts to 7 once placed in the graveyard.
Fixed an issue with Roach and Foglets not coming back on the board when previously locked.
Fixed an issue with Pavetta destroying herself after using Alzur's Double Cross.
Fixed an issue with Tuirseach Axemen recieving a massive amount of points after Dimeritium Bomb was used.
Tuirseach Axeman's ability will not be triggered by set and consume effects.
Tuirseach Axeman's ability will only be triggered by opponent's units.
Fixed an issue with Skellige faction ability not working on Morkvarg.
Fixed an issue with Ele'yas recieving points for Commando Neophyte's, which where moved with Drowners or Geralt: Aard's ability.
Revealed ambush cards will be affected by Weather now.
Morkvarg should no longer recieve random strength values after being affected by weather and resurrected.
Harpies will no longer spawn eggs when pushed by Geralt: Aard.
Fixed an issue whereby Ceallach would be activated 3 times upon using Jan Calveit's ability.
Fixed an issue whereby Dimeritium bomb would reset units' to their base strength disregarding Weather Effects.

Game polishes:

Jan Calveit's tooltip fixed to mention non-Gold Units.
Added a 1 turn timer to Lubberkin's ability.
Fixed Skjall's tooltip to: lose 2 strength instead of 3.
Numerous tooltip fixes.

Oh wow, some interesting stuff in there. The Axeman change makes sense, they still synergize with cards like Tremors and Yennefer that still wound the entire field while still making them the perfect support unit for cards like Harold and Lugos. They're not in a position where they'll effectively ignore Yen Conjurer now if you had 2 or more and they won't be quite as oppressive if you run a deck that specializes in wounding the other side (Henselt siege or something). As someone who loved Axeman pre-nilfgaard Im glad that they're being brought back in line with the rest of the field. I won't feel dirty using my favorite cards again.

A lot of the Skellige changes seem to be aimed at making Discard a more viable archetype again as well. 3 discards with King Bran make for a guaranteed 6 damage from each warship which puts them on the level of Mangonels while giving you more in the way of deck thinning and utility. The changes to King Bran with Nilfgaard patch made it so it didnt make sense to have so many of the discardables in your hand vs. in your deck so the changes to make Ermion and that-other-skellige-discarder- draw before you discard makes them almost guaranteed slots in my discard decks again. Draig changes are going to actively bring Queensguard back into the fray.

Shame they didn't do anything to Wild Boar of the Sea, still a waste of a gold slot for something that requires far too much in the way of setup.

Not sure how I feel about the D-bomb change, it's nice for consistencies sake for sure as they no longer have a distinctly unique effect compared to shackles but it makes for an effective buff for weather in a meta where we're already seeing a bunch of complaints about them. They're going to have to do something more to blizzard potion to incentivize my putting them in the deck, as is they're still dead cards in an environment where you're not up against weather.

JustinBB7

Apparently all silver weather cards are now pick one. Rip tragicstar weather. Back to queensguard I guess!

Just checked, Skellige Storm, Merigolds Hailstorm, White Frost, all trash now. Along with the Avallach, foglet, and crones nerf, don't think monster weather is good anymore.

Apparently all silver weather cards are now pick one. Rip tragicstar weather. Back to queensguard I guess!

Just checked, Skellige Storm, Merigolds Hailstorm, White Frost, all trash now. Along with the Avallach, foglet, and crones nerf, don't think monster weather is good anymore.

If they're pick one now, what of Aeromancy?

Either way, the core problem of weather has always been that there are way more ways to create weather than there was to remove it. Short of completely removing some of those silver weathers, this is probably the only option left.

Personally, I'd argue that Woodland Spirit and Caranthir are still overbudgeted. If the normal gold card "budget" is 12 strength, both of those are 10 strength, split up between gold and bronze and weather. When you consider all the side benefits of those cards, the deck thinning with Foglets, Wild Hunt synergy with Caranthir hounds, epidemic/Rot Tosser protection, etc, those are very valuable Gold cards.

Doesn't seem like anyone really cares about the weather changes since after playing about dozen matches the game is still rotten with weather decks.

Still trying to play some sort of alternative Northern Realms deck but they're all just trash. The faction is just trash right now if you're not playing Radovid, and even that people are beginning to figure out.

JustinBB7

Been trying out this deck in casual. It's super fun to play. I was playing another version of queensguard, and faced against another queensguard. And he had the raiders and ciri dash and svanrige. So I changed my deck around a bit and made this. When I played against him he ended up with 0 cards left so Ciri Dash guaranteed. I didn't have 0 cards left yet, but 2 I think. Or 1 left with Ciri Dash in hand. Who was 16 by that point, along with super strong queensguard/cerys and buffed up sigfrida and draig decoy'd etc.

Tricky to play but super fun. If anybody can help me play it better any tips would be welcome. I think I'm playing it right but not 100% sure. Gonna try in casual few more times before trying it in ranked.

Edit: Just replaced Operator with Donar, Operator was useless most of the time, since I don't want to give the other guy some of my ability cards and 9 out of 10 times I'd never get him together with draig. Now I can discard and draw 1 more card. Let's see how this goes.

Nice changes there although I'm gonna miss Vran eating on the first turn. Also it gettting bumped up to 6 kind of ruins it's KoB synergy. What I did was consume enough to get nekkers over 5 then from there King of Beggars pulls Vrans and gets eaten immediately starting arachas train. Kind of expected Avallach to go up to 10. 8 is nice.

Oh good, so the one deck everyone recommends for new players - the deck I've been picking cards for, is now shit.

You're basically never going to have a complete deck without spending money because by the time you save up for a single deck as a F2P player it will be nerfed significantly and no scrap refunds.

Jadax

You're basically never going to have a complete deck without spending money because by the time you save up for a single deck as a F2P player it will be nerfed significantly and no scrap refunds.
Yep feeling that way right now. Though I can't really complain, it's still in beta so technically we are all just QA for the Gwent team.

Still annoying when literally every person recommends weather monster, I start picking monster cards + crafting them, and then it gets a pretty big nerf.

Weather monsters works fine. The crux of the strategy is that you have more ways to apply weather than there are ways to clear it. This is still true. Try as people might the bulk of their strength will be restricted to one or two rows at the most. Yeah the dual weathers are a worse Aeromancy but you use them because they give you 6+ ways total to apply weather.

City17 wrecked me 2-0, ggs man :)

I just started trying Nilfgaard after the hotfix, made this deck:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/12053-ciri-dooby-do-where-are-you

Seems pretty strong to me: Can reliably dig up Ciri Dash 2 times in a match, 3 is not uncommon either. Rot-Tosser -> Weather seems super dirty, like Coral + Geralt:Aard from last patch, except it uses a silver and a bronze, and you can have multiple attempts at setting it up. Not super sure about the bronzes. Nauzicaa Brigade and Emissary seem like they might be not optimal.

JustinBB7

Lifecoach (Big Hearthstone player) is streaming Gwent now, only watched a few minutes but he seems really into it. Good news for Gwent though, tons of people asking in his chat where to get keys, more players/viewers the better.

This game looks and sounds so great. I am amazed that all the flavour texts and voices are translated to French. The art is great too. Wow!

Yea I agree. You can per-order the art book of the game on Amazon now. I went ahead and did it. I love every cards artwork.

Top Bottom