• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Catching up with the thread since the last, I am sorry to everyone that I forgot about the our tournament I was basically studying for some exams and I completely forgot to come to the thread and let everyone know that I will not be able to play our games. I really feel sorry and I apologize to everyone involved. If the thing is still on, I can play the games this weeks since I am on vacation.

Again Sorry for the inconvenience., I should have at least PM the users involved, I just have been playing Gwent again this weekend for times longer than 1 or 2 matches per day and finally got back to top 100 (even got close to top 20) and now roaming in top 50, depending on my luck on matches. Still haven't found a deck to call my own and been trying different decks in ranked.

Hey Sorian, I saw you playing against Swim! Some really bad luck with those Nekkers man!

Sorian

Banned
Catching up with the thread since the last, I am sorry to everyone that I forgot about the our tournament I was basically studying for some exams and I completely forgot to come to the thread and let everyone know that I will not be able to play our games. I really feel sorry and I apologize to everyone involved. If the thing is still on, I can play the games this weeks since I am on vacation.

Again Sorry for the inconvenience., I should have at least PM the users involved, I just have been playing Gwent again this weekend for times longer than 1 or 2 matches per day and finally got back to top 100 (even got close to top 20) and now roaming in top 50, depending on my luck on matches. Still haven't found a deck to call my own and been trying different decks in ranked.

Hey Sorian, I saw you playing against Swim! Some really bad luck with those Nekkers man!

Hah, yup, been having bad luck all day for some reason. Might be time for a new deck, this one served me well.

JustinBB7

Man I'm so close, but the grind at the top is so punishing. I'm really winning more than I'm losing, but every loss sets me back so far. Even with the 30 second reset during que.

Hah, yup, been having bad luck all day for some reason. Might be time for a new deck, this one served me well.

I just had a match against Swim, some crazy shit happening with an Aglais being quite useless by round 3, shit was hilarious watching the repetition. I had a lot of luck as well though I could had made some plays betters now that I see it. Still I had a lot of luck to beat him. And I got back to top 25. Maybe tomorrow I will start the assault to Top 10.

JustinBB7

+25 and -50 is my average. I'll get the occasional high + if I actually get matched with someone above me but the closer people get to number 1, the less they play ranked.

If I get to rank 15/top 1000, I'll stop playing ranked too I think. Depending on how deep in top 1000 I will be. I'm guessing at the end of the season when the rewards are known everybody will try to get top 1000. So I can't camp at the edge forever. Hopefully I can get to 900 or something and camp there maybe. Stress is high enough already for me trying to get rank 15/top 1000 again.

How much do you guys usually get for wins and losses in the top 30?

You mean MMR? No idea I think +30/-30 for victory losses or something like that, I don't really check, I do know that I lose more positions for losing that I win for winning. Also queue times are long as hell, I think that ever since I entered Top 250 or so I have been getting longer and longer waiting times. As a side note I have been playing against a lot of streamers lately, Yesterday and today I faced twice Gwent2town and Swim and in previous weeks I faced Delude, Mcbeard and Greyboxer twice. Still undefeated against them, it is fun to recognize them and later search if they were streaming at the same time so I can see the repetition of the match it is great to look out for flaws in your play and understanding the player.

Swim for example will always keep playing if he can win with 1 card, so when I faced him earlier today and he was still playing even when down by 20 or more, I had to assume he had a card that would put him ahead if I passed, it was freaking frost. And or second match I basically bail out earlier on round 1 because Swim was using his traditional Dwarf deck that opens with a smuggler, after that he would play the witchers and I will be behind his tempo the hole round, so I Bran'd Morvark and 2 Skalds and passed. I wanted CA to use D Bomb or a chance to get Ermion or Geralt Aard and to fuck with Swim's draws and see if he draw a second witcher. He didn't and he also played Yaevinn so no CA for me but he didn't draw a second elf mercenary which basically won me the game (only after his final draw was basically the worse possible outcome out of all the cards in his deck). I think I made the right decission in passing earlier first round though I should have played another card waited for him to use his witchers and then pass even if I wouldn't have won CA, but with Yaevinn on his hand I would have lost 2 CA instead of just stay Neutral, still I think that the triple Skald deck has a really bad match up against Swim's dwarves deck since there is no high tempo play available on the deck other than bluffing with Coral when you don't have Geralt Aard.

Sorian

Banned
If I get to rank 15/top 1000, I'll stop playing ranked too I think. Depending on how deep in top 1000 I will be. I'm guessing at the end of the season when the rewards are known everybody will try to get top 1000. So I can't camp at the edge forever. Hopefully I can get to 900 or something and camp there maybe. Stress is high enough already for me trying to get rank 15/top 1000 again.

That said, just got a +67 for beating number 14 when I was number 56 so it happens.

Sorian

Banned
Do they have plans to bring this to tablets? That's really how I love playing these types of games.

It seems likely but all their focus is on PC and consoles for the foreseeable future. In other words, maybe when the full game releases but expect no news during the betas.

JustinBB7

I FUCKING DID IIIIITT!!

C5tqcxYWUAAm5AK.jpg:large

And damn high on the leaderboard too! I might play for 4k now, but tomorrow. Taking a break with my rank 15 and top 1000. Hell top 650 even! Wow!

JustinBB7

Congratulations man! Getting to Rank 15 is quite the challenge, are you using the triple Skald deck?

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/12790-lifecoach-70-wr-4k-mmr-skellige-buff

Thanks! I use this one, only gigni instead of gaard. My winrate shot up so much. Usually get card advantage because of Ciri and if Ocvist goes of. And then usually win with dbomb honestly.

Mostly facing variations of swim dwarf decks, or consume monsters. Dbomb keeps destroying both of them since I usually always have the last play. All the games I lose are usually where I lose card advantage. Besides that I just play around scorches/gigni by buffing mork, and usually a smith for the siege row. Lost a bunch of games yesterday and day before because I kept forgetting to play around gigni on the back row.

It's a pretty simple deck, but you have to play it smart. But I guess watching Lifecoach play it for hours and hours, it help me play better too. I added dbomb days before he did, I think he had aeromancy at one point. The arches are great against rot tossers.

You guys think it's viable to not play as much ranked till end of season and still be top 1000 if I'm around here? I think I'll try for 4k since I'm like 1/2 wins away anyway. Then camp there I suppose. I'm happy with top 1000 rewards whatever they will be.

CrimsonN0

Hmm, been playing for a couple weeks and its been pretty fun.
Haven't actually crafted any cards, so my scrap has been piling up, any must haves?

Also, am I the only one that think there should be a disconnect timer or something?
So many times I've gotten disconnected, but been immediately able to get into a game right after, so I'd only been disconnected for like 2 seconds at most.

Mythos

Hmm, been playing for a couple weeks and its been pretty fun.
Haven't actually crafted any cards, so my scrap has been piling up, any must haves?

Also, am I the only one that think there should be a disconnect timer or something?
So many times I've gotten disconnected, but been immediately able to get into a game right after, so I'd only been disconnected for like 2 seconds at most.

Yeah, they really should do something about dc, cause 2 days ago i lost like 200 ranking points cause of connect issues.

I seriously hate the cards that reset all your values to base.

Playing that as a last card is such a lame tactic that ruins the game IMO.

Why? You want no counter to your row stacking?

But why's the alternative better? If my opponent cant remove cards, isn't that their problem? They have every turn to do just that.

Why do they get to keep a card until the final moment where they can reset everything on my side? It doesn't really make sense to me.

JustinBB7

But why's the alternative better? If my opponent cant remove cards, isn't that their problem? They have every round to do just that.

Why do they get to keep a card until the final moment where they can reset everything on my side? It doesn't really make sense to me.

Nobody is gonna run 10+ removals because you are row stacking lol. And if they can keep a a card till they end they got card advantage and played smart to get it. It's fair and balanced this way.

Nobody is gonna run 10+ removals because you are row stacking lol. And if they can keep a a card till they end they got card advantage and played smart to get it. It's fair and balanced this way.

You dont need anywhere near that amount, and a stack deck doesnt always win against other kinds of decks like a deck where the opponent overwhelms with deck calling cards, or weather advantage cards.

You dont expect someone to carry a bunch of weather removals or deck calling counters either, but I also dont expect to hold on to a card that undoes all of that.

I feel like there is a better approach, and if Im not mistaken, the reset cards arent even silver cards, but basic cards.

JustinBB7

You dont need anywhere near that amount, and a stack deck doesnt always win against other kinds of decks like a deck where the opponent overwhelms with deck calling cards, or weather advantage cards.

You dont expect someone to carry a bunch of weather removals or deck calling counters either, but I also dont expect to hold on to a card that undoes all of that.

I feel like there is a better approach, and if Im not mistaken, the reset cards arent even silver cards, but basic cards.

Clear skies is run in 68.29% of all decks. According to GwentDB. So pretty much 7 out of 10 decks have a weather removal, usually 2 or even 3.

Dbomb is silver. So they can only have 1. And that's the only one option to use offensively on an entire row. Shackles is bronze but can only be used on 1 unit.

Clear skies is run in 68.29% of all decks. According to GwentDB. So pretty much 7 out of 10 decks have a weather removal, usually 2 or even 3.

Dbomb is silver. So they can only have 1.

Clear skies is both a defense and attack card, so that makes sense. Every deck benefits from it. Weather cards also tend to be risky as they are affected on both sides, while the reset cards are not.

There is another reset card that targets an individual card if Im not mistaken.

4Tran

I seriously hate the cards that reset all your values to base.

Playing that as a last card is such a lame tactic that ruins the game IMO.
Isn't that just clever play? If you don't want to fall victim to it, then either make sure you have card advantage, or don't play a row-stacking deck.

JustinBB7

#347 on the leaderboard now. 4044 mmr. So that's pretty much the final checkpoint to cross. Really into HS legend ranking now so I'm going to casual mostly till next season! Pfew! Feels so good. I'll play a few ranked games here and there to keep me up there. But man this is awesome.

#347 on the leaderboard now. 4044 mmr. So that's pretty much the final checkpoint to cross. Really into HS legend ranking now so I'm going to casual mostly till next season! Pfew! Feels so good. I'll play a few ranked games here and there to keep me up there. But man this is awesome.

Congrats! Yeah I haven't really been playing ranked since I hit 4.1k. Might do another burst of ranked when they announce the ranked rewards to see if I can hit Top 100 again, or even Top 50 or so. But for now yeah camping at the ladder is fine. :)

JustinBB7

Congrats! Yeah I haven't really been playing ranked since I hit 4.1k. Might do another burst of ranked when they announce the ranked rewards to see if I can hit Top 100 again, or even Top 50 or so. But for now yeah camping at the ladder is fine. :)

I noticed I'm even going UP in rank without playing here. Seems I keep going back and forth between 344 and 347. So guess I can camp here for sure. Hope season ends soon honestly, but I guess it will be another month and some change. Which I don't like because I really want top 500 for sure now and a month+ might put it at risk haha.

Been playing casual for my dailies, trying out other random own made decks but man, casual is just 99% monsters. Or the usual meta decks. So random own made decks just made me lose over and over. Pretty disappointing. So I crafted full Swim Dwarf, only without Triss and added Renew for funsies. Wanna try monster consume as well. Just to learn all the comp meta decks better in case I have to play ranked again.

Speaking of cards, I'm actually almost done with my collection. I miss around 40 cards now. But 90% of them aren't used. Main ones I'm missing now are Triss and Kraken and maybe Last Wish I suppose, but that's not used that much. Besides that I mostly just miss Nilfgaard cards really. Can't wait for open beta. Right now I can open 85 kegs when it starts.

Tecl0n

Gotta say, i'm enjoying this quite a bit. I think i finally found the short MP game i've been looking for, since HS didn't click for me.

Eric WK

Feeling pretty good. I've gone from new player to Rank 14 in ten days or so, obviously with some kegs purchased.

Ladder anxiety will keep me from pushing for Rank 15 tonight, but hopefully I can get it before Open Beta.

Kioshen

Are the default starter decks any good? I've succumbed to lifecoach's hype about the game but I get crushed by the ai using those decks. Is there a video or article out there for introducing gwent from an hearthstone player perspective? I just don't know where to start after the tutorial.

Are the default starter decks any good? I've succumbed to lifecoach's hype about the game but I get crushed by the ai using those decks. Is there a video or article out there for introducing gwent from an hearthstone player perspective? I just don't know where to start after the tutorial.

No. The stzrter decks are trash.

Eric WK

A few content creators have done beginner deck building videos or streamed with budget decks on free-to-play accounts. I would check YouTube or Twitch VODs.

The game is very generous with daily and level rewards so I would just start getting used to the factions and start building towards decks that you get cards for.

JustinBB7

Anybody else ready for some new things? The meta seems pretty settled, and it's varied enough I feel, which is great. But for the top players, it's a bit boring atm I feel. My collection is almost complete, I don't wanna play ranked out of fear for deranking, so I only play ranked when I drop to around 500. This ranked season has been going on for a long time now. About 2 months and 2 weeks.

I know they're working hard on things and we're already getting new things way faster than other games. Plus the game is in a good place right now, but yea. With an almost complete collection and not much to strive for anymore, I'd just like something new. At least news of something concrete would be cool too. Maybe at PAX but that just seems to be card art talk.

Sorian

Banned
Anybody else ready for some new things? The meta seems pretty settled, and it's varied enough I feel, which is great. But for the top players, it's a bit boring atm I feel. My collection is almost complete, I don't wanna play ranked out of fear for deranking, so I only play ranked when I drop to around 500. This ranked season has been going on for a long time now. About 2 months and 2 weeks.

I know they're working hard on things and we're already getting new things way faster than other games. Plus the game is in a good place right now, but yea. With an almost complete collection and not much to strive for anymore, I'd just like something new. At least news of something concrete would be cool too. Maybe at PAX but that just seems to be card art talk.

I actually mathed it out yesterday and I have enough to buy all cards (not premiums though) so I pretty much have a full collection, it's time to call it, give me my reset and let me climb again.

JustinBB7

I actually mathed it out yesterday and I have enough to buy all cards (not premiums though) so I pretty much have a full collection, it's time to call it, give me my reset and let me climb again.

Yea, I miss like 38 cards, just silvers and nilfgaard legendaries mostly. I don't play NG because I don't have all the cards, and the other cards I don't have aren't used. There's just nothing left to do now for people like us you know.

I know in Hearthstone the top players with full collection have it even worse because the content emptiness in there lasts way longer. But they have tons of tournaments and arena at least. And the game is way older of course. But the ranked season resets every month, which gives another thing to do.

Guess I'm just being impatient, it's not really a big complaint, just a ramble. Love the game, and want more fun/new stuff.

Interesting. It seems like the scrap cost is definitely lower, and I feel like I can complete a deck quite fast.

It also makes me curious about new cards. Hearhtstone seems saturated as hell at this point, and I dont know if Gwent will up the card costs or what, but Im surprised at how quickly I am completing my one deck that I enjoy.

Budi

So any idea when will this release? Looking forward for the campaign. I played about 100 hours early in the beta, but I've just been waiting for the release to jump back in. Isn't it supposed be this spring?

JustinBB7

So any idea when will this release? Looking forward for the campaign. I played about 100 hours early in the beta, but I've just been waiting for the release to jump back in. Isn't it supposed be this spring?

We're hoping they will announce open beta soon, which they said they would give 1 month warning for. And yea spring has been the goal, so hopefully soon we'll hear something.

Budi

We're hoping they will announce open beta soon, which they said they would give 1 month warning for. And yea spring has been the goal, so hopefully soon we'll hear something.

Oh yeah, it's not even in open beta yet. Damn, maybe I should just jump back in sooner. Or have they said if they reset all progress?

Yennefer the Conjurer. Argh.

Especially when played in the blue faction deck, she's annoying to kill as she gets the health bonus. I need to invest in a gold removal card

Top Bottom