• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

JustinBB7

So I haven't been doing ranked much. My only goal at this point is top 100 so I just kind of sand bag until I see that I'm number 95+ and then I go play a ranked match, hopefully win and then retire for another week or so. Today I noticed I was at 97 while I was doing my dailies so sure, let's go torment myself in ranked.

This is exactly what I do lol. Just did it again. First ranked game since patch. I try to stick around 400 on global leaderboard. Slipped to 530 so just did 1 ranked game. I won and gained +60 and now I'm low 400's again. So back to casual.

I could push for low 300 or maybe even 200 on leaderboard, I feel confident with this deck. But there is no point to stress out for it. I love ranked but as long as I'm top 500 for the rewards I'm fine. Just wish the reset would happen now honestly. Rather start over having first season high placement and rewards in the bag. Climbing from early on is way more fun. Staying in the top is a lot less fun.

Tovarisc

4uatl6W.png

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/847904798372442113

IvorB

I tried this yesterday and it's pretty fun. I've never played a Witcher game so I have no connection to the lore but I prefer the tone and atmosphere to Hearthstone. I like that there is a generous selection of cards to tinker with and the multiplayer is pretty smooth. Managed to win a couple of matches last night and will probably play a few more this evening as it's nice to have a card game on PS4

Edit: Oops wrong beta it seems.

Sorian

Banned
I tried this yesterday and it's pretty fun. I've never played a Witcher game so I have no connection to the lore but I prefer the tone and atmosphere to Hearthstone. I like that there is a generous selection of cards to tinker with and the multiplayer is pretty smooth. Managed to win a couple of matches last night and will probably play a few more this evening as it's nice to have a card game on PS4

Edit: Oops wrong beta it seems.

You're in the right place Ivor. PS4 was just the newest branch added.

JustinBB7

Anybody else getting a weird noise coming from their computer when they que for a match? It's only for Gwent and only during que I think.

Makareu

I haven't noticed or heard anything special while queuing. That being said the beta is really not optimized (no real surprise) and the CPU load is way too high for what Gwent is.

pantsmith

Played a shit ton of Gwent today on PS4. It seems poorly optimized for what it is, but the style and ideas are excellent. Balanced competitively Gwent feels a lot like poker, in that a lot of the game is knowing when to hold or fold.

I dont know how successful it would be against real decks, but I put together a silly Skellige discard deck built around cycling out cards and seemed to be doing really well with it.

Sorian

Banned
Played a shit ton of Gwent today on PS4. It seems poorly optimized for what it is, but the style and ideas are excellent. Balanced competitively Gwent feels a lot like poker, in that a lot of the game is knowing when to hold or fold.

I dont know how successful it would be against real decks, but I put together a silly Skellige discard deck built around cycling out cards and seemed to be doing really well with it.

Sounds like they really needed this technical test. Game runs great on PC and I haven't heard any xbox complaints lately.

IvorB

You're in the right place Ivor. PS4 was just the newest branch added.

Ah right :). Are they going to wipe everything at the end of the test? I enjoyed what I played and definitely interested in the final game but I don't think there's much point continuing to play the test if they will wipe everything.

IvorB

As someone who used to struggle through Wizards of the Coast's Duels games on PS3, this played pretty smoothly to me.

Ah right :). Are they going to wipe everything at the end of the test? I enjoyed what I played and definitely interested in the final game but I don't think there's much point continuing to play the test if they will wipe everything.

The current PC/Xbox beta will get wiped but you'll get some bonus kegs based on your level and rank at the end of the closed beta. I don't think they've been very clear what the PS4 situation is since its just getting kicked off.

Playing on ps4. I'm liking this. I've played 7 online matches so far but in the middle of 3 matches my game would just hang and I'll have to close the app. After a reboot it'll say that I won the previous game.

frontovik

Banned
Perhaps it's just a flaw of card games in general, but playing against the latest meta and cookie-cutter build gets dull extremely fast.

Eric WK

Man this thread is pretty dead huh.

Aren't some of you playing in the challenger?

I dropped a ton of MMR shortly after the patch dropped and took a break. Think I dropped as low as ~3500, but I started playing again a couple days ago and have climbed to 4635. Really enjoying Northern Realms at the moment.

Wagram

Man this thread is pretty dead huh.

Aren't some of you playing in the challenger?

I think most of us are just waiting till open beta at this point. I already invested a good 60 or so hours. Just waiting till I can progress without a wipe on the horizon.

When is this hitting open beta? I want to give it a try after Hearthstone's ridiculously high price of staying competitive, but i cba losing all cards when it hits open beta.

Eric WK

When is this hitting open beta? I want to give it a try after Hearthstone's ridiculously high price of staying competitive, but i cba losing all cards when it hits open beta.

Consensus is that they will use the Gwent Challenger finals in a month to announce Open Beta and they've said the notice will be at least a month, so best guess right now is mid-June.

Personally, I think not transitioning to Open Beta right before or after Challenger ends is a missed opportunity to capitalize on a big tournament, but what do I know.

frontovik

Banned
I really shouldn't be trying to climb the ranked ladder with Nilfgaard. They seem to lack staying power in contrast to the other factions.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i haven't played in a while but installed the game again today. i can't use nilfgaard decks. they simply don't appear. all the cards are showing up in my collection though. do i need to make it myself? i thought there would be a premade set.

Stalwart

About to hit level 10 and I'm sure the closed beta wipe is hitting soon. What are the best decks for climbing some ranks? I want those extra kegs so gonna scrap every faction that isn't the one I build a deck for and just make the best deck I can.

JustinBB7

About to hit level 10 and I'm sure the closed beta wipe is hitting soon. What are the best decks for climbing some ranks? I want those extra kegs so gonna scrap every faction that isn't the one I build a deck for and just make the best deck I can.

They will announce a wipe a month in advance, and there have been 0 hints of an announcement anytime soon. So you have at least a month. And unless they announce something suddenly next week. Most likely a lot more.

Stalwart

They will announce a wipe a month in advance, and there have been 0 hints of an announcement anytime soon. So you have at least a month. And unless they announce something suddenly next week. Most likely a lot more.

I'm still fine with just making one deck honestly, I've hit the point where I'm facing against people with real decks instead of the basic ones I'm doing.

frontovik

Banned
Wow, there are lots of opportunities for creative play in Gwent, but there are some notoriously cheesy decks out there; specifically for Skellige & Scoia'tel. It really makes you think about the value of each card.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
why on earth do i need to build my own nilfgaard deck? why is it so hard for them to include a default deck for everyone? nilfgaard cards were appearing in my collection but i couldn't select nilfgaard in any mode and contacted support. they said i need to make it up myself.

why on earth do i need to build my own nilfgaard deck? why is it so hard for them to include a default deck for everyone? nilfgaard cards were appearing in my collection but i couldn't select nilfgaard in any mode and contacted support. they said i need to make it up myself.
Nilfgaard was added later. It was odd to do it that way, but maybe there's a technical issue that prevented them from adding more pre-made decks.

So I got into the beta a few weeks ago and played through the tutorial and it didn't grab me at all. It just seemed too non-interactive. The the most vanilla cards and compare them to vanilla cards in Hearthstone and Magic. In Magic, your vanilla creatures can attack and block. In Hearthstone, they can attack and might soak up some damage. In Gwent, they just do nothing and sit there waiting for something to happen to them.
It's probable that real decks will use few or no vanilla cards, but it just seems like a weakness in the game's mechanics since I'm sure many cards can become effectively vanilla in many circumstances. Maybe the tutorial wasn't good at selling the game to me, but I got really turned off after it.
Anyway, I got 3 PC beta codes and I'll come back here to give them away if none of my friends want them.

only just recently started playing again, stopped quite some time back. all my decks were completely obsolete

but i put together a home grown ST neophyte deck, and after a long period of fine tuning and stagnating on the ladder, i streaked 500 straight points from 2000 to 2500... rank 10!!

the wipe is going to sting... this is a fairly expensive deck. i'm going to lose ele'yas and isengrim and ocvist and yen and aglais

JustinBB7

only just recently started playing again, stopped quite some time back. all my decks were completely obsolete

but i put together a home grown ST neophyte deck, and after a long period of fine tuning and stagnating on the ladder, i streaked 500 straight points from 2000 to 2500... rank 10!!

the wipe is going to sting... this is a fairly expensive deck. i'm going to lose ele'yas and isengrim and ocvist and yen and aglais

I'm only missing 3 cards atm. It will sting harder!

Kamion

Currently playing Witcher 3 again, so I looked into Gwent, because I kinda enjoy it, and would love to get into that when it's out. Mostly because Hearthstone is just too much for me to get into so late.

But I looked at the FAQ and it seems no mobile versions are planned at all? Anyone else think that's a stupid move for a card game? I'm kinda amazed the PC client doesn't even run on Macs.
In my opinion a f2p game should be available on as many platforms as possible, and there's just really no excuse to not develop this cross-platform. Heck, even in Unity or something, it's a card game.
Hope it gets a mobile version down the road, I just don't see myself firing up a console to play this regularly. And I don't work with a PC, so same there. Games like this are "time wasters on the side" for me :(

Anyway, question for people playing the beta: Is it exactly the same as the Witcher 3 minigame? Because there, 90% of the time, the player with the most "draw more cards" cards won. Is it a bit more balanced for different playstyles?

Top Bottom