• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

JustinBB7

Currently playing Witcher 3 again, so I looked into Gwent, because I kinda enjoy it, and would love to get into that when it's out. Mostly because Hearthstone is just too much for me to get into so late.

But I looked at the FAQ and it seems no mobile versions are planned at all? Anyone else think that's a stupid move for a card game? I'm kinda amazed the PC client doesn't even run on Macs.
In my opinion a f2p game should be available on as many platforms as possible, and there's just really no excuse to not develop this cross-platform. Heck, even in Unity or something, it's a card game.
Hope it gets a mobile version down the road, I just don't see myself firing up a console to play this regularly. And I don't work with a PC, so same there. Games like this are "time wasters on the side" for me :(

Anyway, question for people playing the beta: Is it exactly the same as the Witcher 3 minigame? Because there, 90% of the time, the player with the most "draw more cards" cards won. Is it a bit more balanced for different playstyles?

There will be mobile most likely, just not now. Hearthstone didn't have mobile at first either. CDPR is looking for mobile devs so it's most likely coming at some point. Same with mac.

And no it's not the same as the Witcher 3 version. Spies are heavily nerfed and Decoy works different too. Plus most cards having abilities etc. It's the same core, just different cards.

made it within 80 points of rank 13, and then... disappointment.

i beat a queensguard operator deck! i don't think i've ever prevailed against one before. a big factor was my realization that cyprian wiley is freakin great. he can take out one of the queensguards permanently on round 1.

also, cdr rep says ranked season end rewards will be revealed in the near future

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/69ioc4/what_are_the_endseason_rewards/

i hope that maybe the announcement coincides with the season ending which coincides with other big exciting things

also looking forward to it cause i have..... 34 barrels

JustinBB7

Dropped to 600 on leaderboard, wanted to play 1 ranked match to get back into top 500 and camp for another week for the rewards.

Dropped to 2k+ on leaderboard.

Switched to a standard ST control deck and went back to 1112 ish or something. So hopefully back into top 500 today.. this season should have ended 2 months ago jesus.

hoggert

Switched to a standard ST control deck and went back to 1112 ish or something. So hopefully back into top 500 today.. this season should have ended 2 months ago jesus.
Yeah, totally. I guess CDPR's been getting shit ready for open beta. It's felt like forever lol

rezn0r

stealing someone's formatting earlier

please reply when you take one so future ppl know whats taken. i'm stuck afk shortly so may not be quick updating with strikethroughs. enjoy.

JustinBB7

Alright collection is complete, gonna save kegs just in case they'll still release new cards before open beta. Besides that just gonna keep playing first daily every day to get to level 60 for another 2 kegs at open beta. Which should give me 91 kegs at open beta (I spent some money and I'm rank 15 + level 60 then).

Climbed back to 1100, just gotta push through and keep playing ranked and hope I get lucky and get back up high for the rewards I've been wanting for months now.

AtlAntA

So i played the beta for a good few hours a while back. Recently i started a second playthrough of tw3. Tbh i like the ingame gwent more than the standalone version. Sorry cdpr.

So i played the beta for a good few hours a while back. Recently i started a second playthrough of tw3. Tbh i like the ingame gwent more than the standalone version. Sorry cdpr.
Well it is very fun to crush the ai opponents and the treasure hunt for cards is great

But I think it's safe to say that CDR is aware of this cause there's supposedly some form of single player campaign in the works, one with a 3rd person 3d environ no less (iirc)

Thewonandonly

Does anyone here no when the beta is coming on console? Can't wait to play this as gwent was one of my favorite parts of one of my favorite games

JustinBB7

i did it! rank 13! im the #1168 best gwent player na

with my incredible 245-233-15 record...

It continues to amaze me how bad NA is. Rank 13 and that high on the leaderboard. While the EU leaderboard is only rank 15's. Same for world. Noticed it with the Gwent challenger tournament too, I was top 400 and didn't get in because I picked EU. And people not even in top 1000 that picked NA did get in..

Also I saw the leaked video of the single player, will be amazing.

Hey, card-slingers!

CD PROJEKT RED just announced that registrations for the Closed Beta of GWENT: The Witcher Card Game will shut down this weekend. The game will remain active for everyone who redeemed their invite before, or during the weekend.

If you're eager to jump right to it, you can still join the Closed Beta by signing up on playgwent.com.

“Throughout Closed Beta, we’ve reworked and added a huge amount of features and mechanics to GWENT. Balance changes, numerous tweaks of how cards work and how the game flows; additional cards, a new faction and ranked play — it was an amazing ride and GWENT’s community was with us all the way,” said Benjamin Lee, Development Director at CD PROJEKT RED. “I’d like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for the hours invested,” added Lee.

The end of Closed Beta registrations is part of the preparations for GWENT’s Public Beta. More information regarding this next stage will be revealed next week.

and away.... we.................... go

Iceman829

JustinBB7

New update incoming?

I think there has been a secret PTR going on. They've been silent for a long time now. Big CDPR tournament on Saturday and "the end of close beta" news coming next week. They said they would announce it a month before the wipe.

So I'm guessing open beta + wipe will happen soon with a big update along with it to push it through. The ranked season is ending near end of May (thank fuck) so it's all coming together now finally.

I think there has been a secret PTR going on. They've been silent for a long time now. Big CDPR tournament on Saturday and "the end of close beta" news coming next week. They said they would announce it a month before the wipe.

So I'm guessing open beta + wipe will happen soon with a big update along with it to push it through. The ranked season is ending near end of May (thank fuck) so it's all coming together now finally.

That reminds me, I should make another push for Ranked to see if I can get some cool rewards!

JustinBB7

Coach roping master
13285309_1620335901627227_221961205_n.jpg

holy shit that last round lmao

Makareu

The stream is quite enjoyable. It's a nice surprise, I wasnt expecting much in term of production / casting for a first stream of a game still in closed beta.

Now I am just waiting for the game to move on so I can get back playing.

Peroroncino

Coach is seriously owning this guy so hard it's not even funny. This looks like a 3-0 set.

Yeah and if you look at them, you'd think that coach is losing HARD, he looks like he's in the middle of an anxiety attack.

I'm really enjoying some of the combos here, definitely looks more skill based rather than luck based like in Hearthstone.

Also LMAO at that Gaunter O'Dimm cosplay.

I've tried at various times to make warcry SK work, but it always seemed not nearly as strong as I hoped. I'm surprised ProNeo thinks it's so strong.

patchday

just happened to check twitch and saw lifecoach + noxious play. Love these guys! This stream has been a blast to watch. Feels like games are being won due to making good plays from what I can tell. I've never played Gwent so dont know the cards- but I understand the base mechanics at least

Peroroncino

Warcry SK been played a lot so far in this tournament.

Nice to see Zoltan won his game, underdog win out of nowhere!

Zoltan...

tenor.gif

Chat really went berserk when he stood up after winning.

And now it's back to Lifecoach aka 'you can't see me cuz I'm hiding behind my hands'. :D

Vicarious

Just got back from active duty and cant wait to dive in this beta when I manage to find a code. How is it competitively compared to other online card games?

Eric WK

Just got back from active duty and cant wait to dive in this beta when I manage to find a code. How is it competitively compared to other online card games?

You can just sign up during GWENT Challenger. Do so quick, because closed beta registrations end this weekend.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Alright I'm in this game.

Which faction let's me do degenerate combo things???

Top Bottom