• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacker releases new season of Orange Is The New Black ahead of June premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

An anonymous hacker has carried through on a threat to release “Orange Is the New Black” season five episodes online — after Netflix allegedly failed to respond to the cybercriminal’s shakedown demands.

Variety was unable to verify the authenticity of the “OITNB” episodes the hacker claimed to have shared on popular file-sharing site the Pirate Bay.

The first 10 episodes of season 5 were apparently shared shortly before 6 a.m. ET Saturday, with the 10 files comprising a total of 11.46 gigabytes. The hacker, who uses the handle “thedarkoverlord,” uploaded the premiere episode from the upcoming season of “Orange Is the New Black” on Friday to the Pirate Bay.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/orange-is-the-new-black-season-5-hacker-piracy-leak-1202403760/

I don't think I'd care if I were Netflix. I imagine they're not losing any noticeable money from this. Probably why they never responded to him to begin with.

Also 'thedarkoverlord' is an awful hacker handle that only a tool would adopt.

Bluth54

Guess Netflix will just put them up soon .

Yeah I wonder if Netflix will just reshuffle their schedule and put the episodes out early. I'm pretty sure this season was supposed to air in early June so if it's done they may be able to put them out early and maybe push back something else like House of Cards.

iALX

If news are to be believe, extortion.

Here's the part that seems fishy, like some green-as-grass writer's vision of evil hackers:

Variety said:
”We're quite ashamed to breathe the same air as you. We figured a pragmatic business such as yourselves would see and understand the benefits of cooperating with a reasonable and merciful entity like ourselves."

First read the news on TorrentFreak, next their statement on PasteBin, and nowhere did I find the paragraph quoted above. Somebody mind linking to some sources?

Even if you was to watch the first 10 episodes that have been leaked you'd still be missing the final crucial 3 episodes. Not sure if Netflix will move it up or not because of this.

Javier23

Banned
If news are to be believe, extortion.

Here's the part that seems fishy, like some green-as-grass writer's vision of evil hackers:

First read the news on TorrentFreak, next their statement on PasteBin, and nowhere did I find the paragraph quoted above. Somebody mind linking to some sources?
That reads pretty much the same on a quick look.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'll wait, fuck this horseshit behavior. Pirate away, I don't care, but trying to shake content creators down for money is beyond scummy.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It said the first 10 episodes were released online, so presumably it'll be 13 like the other 4.
I wonder who would download this. I'm sure people will, but they'll still have to wait until June to actually finish it. What if episode 10 ends on a cliffhanger?

CHC

I don't think I'd care if I were Netflix. I imagine they're not losing any noticeable money from this. Probably why they never responded to him to begin with.

Also 'thedarkoverlord' is an awful hacker handle that only a tool would adopt.

Right? Like, I can't imagine even one person subscribing on a one-month basis to watch ONE show. Netflix is basically a utility bill to me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The article I read made it seem like it could have an economic effect on Netflix but I'm pretty sure someone that deep in the show would tend to be a Netflix viewer. Netflix also fits in the cost/convenience curve at a point where it's more of a hassle to pirate their shows than it is to subscribe.

WarrenD

I wonder who would download this. I'm sure people will, but they'll still have to wait until June to actually finish it. What if episode 10 ends on a cliffhanger?
It's like, a few weeks wait after? Given how sporadic tv schedules are in the states its just like every other show.

thedarkoverlord

PL39q9u.jpg

Roi

Good that they didn't answer to his blackmail. I will wait till the official Netflix release to watch the episodes.

Parahan

Well even if there are people who only subscribe to watch this one show, Netflix will get their money for the last three episodes come June. Also not many people do this, most of them keep their subscription on for everything else. And those who do pirate were never going to give Netflix money anyway, they get to watch 10 episodes in advance. Nothing changes.

This pirate is an idiot.

vypek

Surprised the hacker put then on a torrent site instead if uploading them to those sites that stream a ton of videos instead. Guess it was easier for them.

I feel like most people would find it more convenient to just wait and watch on the platform they want instead of going through the effort to torrent it but who knows​

gdt

Don't care. I can wait for 4k Netflix. Also without the final 3 episodes it's useless. Netflix is not moving up their timeline.

Is he the same hacker who found all those episodes of Little Witch Academia that Netflix funded, and leaked them to Japanese tv once a week for the past three months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom