• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 3: 10 years of not playing the most essential sequel in history

DrSlek

938Tkfj.jpg

I mean I wouldn't mind it being released, but "essential" is overstating it just a tad, lol

Seriously. I love both games. Love them. They are highly powerful in the sense of who I am as a creator today.

I would love a Half-Life 3.

But I'm a bit confused as to why the hype is still warranted. I'd understand it if Valve was cranking out a hit game year after year, but they are very, very, veeeeeeeeeeery publicly a tech-first company now. This has been stated and demonstrated year after year.

Yes, the TF team does or used to do almost frequent major updates, but Valve has not seemed interested in Half-Life in over a decade.

Right now, the only thing that might push a HL3 is if J.J. Abrams' Half-Life movie ever gets made.

Just a stupid question:

Why do people keep talking about Half-Life 3?

We were only supposed to get Half-Life 2: Episode Three after Half-Life 2: Episode Two, but Half-Life 3 was never really confirmed.

HotHamBoy

Just a stupid question:

We were only supposed to get Half-Life 2: Episode Three after Half-Life 2: Episode Two, but Half-Life 3 was never really confirmed.

Because we never got HL Episode 3. The story is unresolved.

But also, it was a massive game. It's pretty rare that something so huge and influential doesn't get a sequel.

Yeah I know, but Half-Life 2: Episode Three was not Half-Life 3.

Once it became clear that they weren't going to release Episode 3, it was assumed that they were going to skip that and go straight to Half-Life 3.

Honestly, I don't know why they didn't just stick to the episodic shit and just resolve the goddamn story. All they really needed to do was release one more Episode using the same engine. Now they've waited too long and they have to make an entire new game to justify the wait/the aged engine.

With Valve's creative heart excised since Half-Life 2: Episode 2 I'd be more worried than hyped if Half-Life 3 was announced... I've finally come to accept that it's dead.

Do we know if they are working on it at least?

I seriously doubt they are working on it. It does not take 10 years to make an FPS video game. To give you an example, Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock 1 were both released about the same time as Half Life 2 Episode 2 was released. Since then, we have gotten 3 additional Mass Effect games and two Bioshock games. Another example is we have gotten 3 Uncharted games since Half Life 2 Episode 2 was released. The point is Valve has had ample time to release Half Life 3. This implies that they either canceled it or never started working on it after HL2 Episode 2 shipped.

It's basically like if GRRM just straight-up stopped writing ASOIAF books and started writing something else instead, the new thing went on to be insanely popular and he just never went back to the original series. He never claimed to have officially stopped working on it, but then gradually the hope died. Oh, and also if it turned out he'd deleted all the relevant notes and files from his PC/brain (what with most of the original writers/talent having left the company).

Never would have played this series if I knew this was going to never happen.

I remember when 2009 hit, I was like 'The is the year for ep 3'

I seriously doubt they are working on it. It does not take 10 years to make an FPS video game. To give you an example, Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock 1 were both released about the same time as Half Life 2 Episode 2 was released. Since then, we have gotten 3 additional Mass Effect games and two Bioshock games. Another example is we have gotten 3 Uncharted games since Half Life 2 Episode 2 was released. The point is Valve has had ample time to release Half Life 3. This implies that they either canceled it or never started working on it after HL2 Episode 2 shipped.

Soon to be 12 mainline COD titles released since ep 2 lmao.

Jinroh

Yeah I don't care about Half Life 3, I want a follow up to episode 2's cliffhanger, not a new story. I don't understand why they didn't release it. They didn't need anything groundbreaking or technologically incredible, the episodes were more limited in scope than the main game, but still effective.

Ein Bear

My favourite one of these is: the entire Assassin's Creed franchise has existed in the gap between Episode 2 and HL3.

JawzPause

I honestly don't think it'll ever come out, i remember seeing an interview with him saying it'll have new graphics/physics that no one has ever seen before. That was like 5 years ago and they can't live up to that now.

It's over guys.

It's all about the card games now.

It's basically like if GRRM just straight-up stopped writing ASOIAF books and started writing something else instead, the new thing went on to be insanely popular and he just never went back to the original series. He never claimed to have officially stopped working on it, but then gradually the hope died. Oh, and also if it turned out he'd deleted all the relevant notes and files from his PC/brain (what with most of the original writers/talent having left the company).
So it's like real life?

Daffy Duck

Do we know why Half Life has been treated this way by Valve?

I know that article that talked about the crunch and development that was really interesting but this whole not saying anything, nothing at all is just really weird and I don't know why or what reason they have.

A-V-B

All the Half-Life people are gone.

Half-Life is dead... because it's actually dead.

Unless Hideo Kojima jumps on this bitch and makes Half-Lives

Just a stupid question:

Valve seems to tease it *just* enough that people still have hope.

I think they're incredibly mean for that. "It's not coming" would go a long way. Resolve the story in a 4 part comic series- instead of the random easter eggs and promises lol

pswii60

Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 were both just thoroughly amazing and it makes me sad we'll never see new entries in either series.

Here are some important things to consider:
1- it's never going to release
2- even if it releases it's never going to meet up expectations
3- move on there are better game franchises elsewhere.

The only thing interesting is why they canned the game. Half life was a huge success, and releasing a sequel would have been more money for Valve and also recognition. I am fully aware of their policy of quality over money. I think it might come to the simple idea of trying to innovate until they hit a certain point where it was too late to release a sequel. The hype is just too high.

dread_nought

Neo Member
To be honest, I think HL 2 Ep1 and 2 did a better job than the original HL 2 in term of storytelling and gameplay wise. The original HL 2was very good, almost everyone loved the Gravity Gun, but I hardly found the fun in playing it, except for the last level when it suddenly turned into a god like weapon. But man, this kind of topic makes me remember of 2004, the best year in gaming I've ever experienced. Doom 3 and HL 2 coming out in the same year, Far Cry pushed the hardware to the max, PoP WW with the amazing soundtracks, also tons of memorable games that I could not listed out here. So much memory just for that year...

oni-link

Once it became clear that they weren't going to release Episode 3, it was assumed that they were going to skip that and go straight to Half-Life 3.

Honestly, I don't know why they didn't just stick to the episodic shit and just resolve the goddamn story. All they really needed to do was release one more Episode using the same engine. Now they've waited too long and they have to make an entire new game to justify the wait/the aged engine.

I don't think they care, they make more money than they ever dreamed they would

They said in 2011 Portal 2 would be their last single player experience

They were not lying about that

I would have hoped Valve being in the position they are in would mean we'd see a lot of Portal-esque single player experiments, but nope

It's just hats I suppose

I just knew this thread would get necroed with the Artifact announcement.

And it makes me sad.

Anyone that expected anything non-Dota related from the International was set to be disappointed no matter what. We at least know they'll be announcing stuff in October at Steam Dev Days.

Just a stupid question:

Because Valve made Half Life 3 t-shirts and because they said they will stop the episodic approach

I think we're all upset more that the story we'd all invested time in was cut off abruptly.

Stop me if i'm wrong but we've never heard of the reason why they stopped and that is almost as upsetting as the story never ending.

Plus this franchise didn't follow the rules. It was highly acclaimed. Successful by anyone's standard. It had no good reason just to stop. The only possible reason we've seen in all these years is that Steam blow up.

KyleCross

People really do need to move on. If Valve were to make Half-Life 3 it wouldn't live up to the hype and they'd be blasted and they know this, so they're not going to waste their time. Neither should you, it's time to let it go.

Pity we're not going to get a single player focused narrative in the near future.

I don't trust this current version of Valve to be able to produce something like their previous catalogue.

Honestly feel like 2007 is the defining date, every single release since hasn't been up to the same standard as what came before it.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah I don't care about Half Life 3, I want a follow up to episode 2's cliffhanger, not a new story. I don't understand why they didn't release it. They didn't need anything groundbreaking or technologically incredible, the episodes were more limited in scope than the main game, but still effective.

I don't get it either. The outline was pretty simple 'go to Aperture Science Icebreaker, play around with gravity and portal guns together, kick Combine ass, celebrations with Alyx and the resistance cut short by G-Man appearance. Fade to black ' not exactly a stretch in the plot stakes and plenty of scope for interesting and innovative gameplay within the frame. This fiction that somehow it's a design challenge beyond human reckoning as purported by the apologist crowd, is just so much wind.

The reality is once that steam money came in they lost their focus and hubris set in (not helped by a gaming press eager to suck their balls at any given opportunity) and it's no surprise that stagnation and short term thinking became the norm. That staff handbook that 'leaked' reads more and more tragic as the years roll by given the paucity of Valves production.

At this point in time as a PC Gamer, I at best tolerate Valve, because of Steams dominance. but I certainly don't trust them as a company to either see things through or support projects they lose interest in. Recently I was pondering getting a Rift due to the price drop and a friend was all 'no get a Vive instead' and albeit I can acknowledge that the latter is probably the better hardware at this juncture, I'm reluctant to throw hundreds of pounds at a device Valve might well abandon as a venture if the wind suddenly changes direction, or some new project comes along that they decide is more fun to work on. Oculus, their hardware is their product. With Valve, as long as they have the Steam 30% cash cow coming in, much less so.

Pity we're not going to get a single player focused narrative in the near future.

I don't trust this current version of Valve to be able to produce something like their previous catalogue.

Honestly feel like 2007 is the defining date, every single release since hasn't been up to the same standard as what came before it.

"Although we're not going to treat Dev Days this year as the place or the time to make big product announcements related to the content that we have in development at Valve for virtual reality, I do think that once it becomes time to do that next year, nobody in this room is going to be disappointed," said Coomer.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/valve-upcoming-games

I can't imagine they're focusing on multiplayer experiences in VR.

Sentenza

You know, the thing about the source engine around the time of Half Life 2's release is that it was almost all you heard about regarding the entire game.

Very close to launch a friend invited me over to show me the game because he was so proud of it, and had just gotten a new video card to play it.

I showed up and spent 15 minutes with him reloading his save over and over to show me how wood breaks based on where you hit it. I remember saying 'oh that's kinda neat' then he showed me a sequence where you needed to stack items to proceed. Then another, and another. I finally asked him to show me some real action, so he loaded up a save where he had the gravity gun and showed how you can pick up and throw objects to hit enemies. I thought it was pretty cool, but then he got to an area where he needed it to stack items. I asked him to show me something else in the game and then it was immediately to stacking items again.

'Yeah I think I'm gonna leave...'

I remember almost everything I read about that game in this time period wasn't about the story, gameplay, or anything like that. It was mostly 'source engine this' and 'source engine' that.

I ended up getting the game for myself on the Xbox 360 via the Orange Box. It was decent fun but I think the awe of the source engine was the majority of the hype the game had.
Sounds almost like a made up story to make a questionable point, frankly.

There aren't that many parts "where you stack items to progress" in the entire game. Let alone jumping from a savepoint to another.

acm2000

more like 10 years waiting for a sequel to the most overrated fps

i mean it was good, but come on people, stop losing your shit

xviper

if they announce Half life 3, what will be a bigger disappointment relative to the hype they got, Half life 3 or Fallout 4 ?

kmax

Yeah, sorry. This game was never meant to be.

It's a bittersweet end, but at least we have memories to cherish the franchise's legacy.

Do we know why Half Life has been treated this way by Valve?

I know that article that talked about the crunch and development that was really interesting but this whole not saying anything, nothing at all is just really weird and I don't know why or what reason they have.

Valve says some things, just not directly to anyone but rather through little hints on filenames buried in lines of code.
But the real truth is there is nothing to update so there is nothing to say.

Plus this franchise didn't follow the rules. It was highly acclaimed. Successful by anyone's standard. It had no good reason just to stop. The only possible reason we've seen in all these years is that Steam blow up.

That seems like a pretty good reason, instead of getting reprimanded by fans with unreasonable expectations for a severely delayed title they can simply sit on their hands and rake in the money.

Steam goes "boom" and game development priorities go "splat."

The only personnel that should be working on Episode 3 at this point is the Crowbar Collective. They are closer to completing a AAA level FPS game in their spare time than Valve has even put forward the notion of doing on the clock.

Top Bottom