• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Anniversary by Certain Affinity (Update: Frankie Denies #83)

I am fine with button glitches coming back but they need to make it clear its part of the game for any new comers. Like have a MP tutorial section that teaches you the advance stuff.
The fun of BXB, BXR, etc. is that they were sort of secret and hard to do. If you give everybody a tutorial on how to do them it loses its charm. It'll be just part of them game and something that everybody does. The reason halo 2 did so well as a competitive multiplayer is because it made you feel as though you graduated from casual to competitive just by learning these combos. This is all my opinion on the psychology of why halo 2's multiplayer did so well. Also the 1 to 50 leveling.

While such a hypothetical project would be worth getting for multiplayer (especially if some modern netcode were included), they'd have to completely redo the campaign for me to even consider it on that front.

What was shown in that E3 vid still looks fantastic though. Ah, what could have been.

Orayn

The fun of BXB, BXR, etc. is that they were sort of secret and hard to do. If you give everybody a tutorial on how to do them it loses its charm. It'll be just part of them game and something that everybody does. The reason halo 2 did so well as a competitive multiplayer is because it made you feel as though you graduated from casual to competitive just by learning these combos. This is all my opinion on the psychology of why halo 2's multiplayer did so well. Also the 1 to 50 leveling.

If you're doing competitive multiplayer, that sort of thing needs to be exposed. Street Fighter didn't "lose its charm" by listing all the characters' combos.

RPGamer92

Banned
Yesss, I guess if it's a 10th anniversary, then it'll be Durango and not 360? Would have liked to have Halo CE-4+Reach and Odst all on one system :/

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

That was fun for people who knew how to do it and not fun for the vast majority of people who didn't. Not only that, there really wasn't any useful visual feedback about what was happening to you, you'd sort of die as if the other guys just had better bullets.

That said if we ever did a remake we would likely retain the emergent glitches and explain them, or find a way to corral or disable them. Maybe by voting or some other method. Would have to be carefully considered but they wouldn't vanish.

Conor 419

Banned
That was fun for people who knew how to do it and not fun for the vast majority of people who didn't. Not only that, there really wasn't any useful visual feedback about what was happening to you, you'd sort of die as if the other guys just had better bullets.

That said if we ever did a remake we would likely retain the emergent glitches and explain them, or find a way to corral or disable them. Maybe by voting or some other method. Would have to be carefully considered but they wouldn't vanish.

Sounds like a lot of thought has gone into this.

I'm not sure if I'd want it for current gen. I was honestly pretty disappointed in the Halo 1 remake. The new graphics were pretty ugly (god the aliasing) and the old graphics didn't even run at 60 fps. Honestly I would of preferred just played through the PC version again.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
And why hasn't Stinkles been in here to deny it yet? Oh wait, here he is, denying it.

I have no idea what the project he is tweeting about is, but CA works on more than just Halo stuff for companies other than just 343, but it is absolutely NOT H2A and nobody is currently working on any such thing.

This on the other hand is and has always been a cool idea and you never know, it could happen one day. The code still works (albeit crazy buggy).
Aw well. At least we got that straightened out.

RPGamer92

Banned
I'm not sure if I'd want it for current gen. I was honestly pretty disappointed in the Halo 1 remake. The new graphics were pretty ugly (god the aliasing) and the old graphics didn't even run at 60 fps. The switching between the two on the fly was really cool though. The game played fine though.
A 360 version would be nice just to have the whole series up to 4 on one system imo

wwm0nkey

Honestly I think expanding on and making the button glitches part of the game while giving good visual feedback and giving players a tutorial on how to do them would be a good thing for a new entry in the series rather than just a Halo 2 remake if it happens.

Now that said I do not think double shooting should stay at all.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
A 360 version would be nice just to have the whole series up to 4 on one system imo
You can find Halo 2 for sale new at Amazon and Best Buy and it works with the 360.

Edit: Well, no MP of course.

I find it really hard to believe NOTHING is being done. H2a would be the PERFECT durango launch title if it came with multiplayer.

How did ce:a sell?

Korosenai

"Why is this guys grenades doing so much damage to me and why are his shield recharging faster?"

Just playing devils advocate saying the same thing can be applied to the perks in Halo 4.

And why hasn't Stinkles been in here to deny it yet? Oh wait, here he is, denying it.

I have no idea what the project he is tweeting about is, but CA works on more than just Halo stuff for companies other than just 343, but it is absolutely NOT H2A and nobody is currently working on any such thing.

This on the other hand is and has always been a cool idea and you never know, it could happen one day. The code still works (albeit crazy buggy).
vader.jpg

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

So you're saying there's a chance?

YES!

Woorloog

Banned
I don't mind the glitches if they are disabled in matchmaking. Don't deny my ability to super jump in customs though!

This.
Not that i'd probably venture online anyway.
Would love to play the campaign with new graphics though, Halo CE Anniversary was awesome.

Izayoi

Banned
If anyone made it I'd want it to be 343, so they might learn a thing or two about Halo as a series.

Not that they seemed to learn much from CE:A, mind, but maybe second time is a charm?

border

Somehow, someway, give me a playable version of the E3 2003 demo. I don't even need anything else. I'd pay full price just for that.

I don't think the E3 2003 demo was even playable (in any kind of legitimate sense). Just a bunch of scripted stuff. If you went off the rails the whole thing would cease to function.

I practically only played MLG customs and Team Hardcore and stuff of that nature and I never had a problem with everyone else knowing how to BXR/BXB. Fun is fun and fair is fair.

Prologue

Didn't Frankie deny Halo 1 A several times? And then we were all suprised when it was announced?

Also you're crazy if you think that if it did exist, it would retain a full MP component. I'm sure there would be just maps as DLC for Halo 4. No way would they split the multiplayer population.

I don't understand why you want to play it so much. It's just one scripted encounter after another.
He wants to play what that demo represented, not the actual scripted demo. An all out assault on Earth with New Mombasa being hit hard by the covenant forces, basically global warfare, is something that Bungie has teased over and over again, and yet never fully realized in their games. Even Reach did a substandard job at it, although admittedly, New Alexandria was amazing.

soldat7

Unfortunately, Halo 2 would cannibalize the populations of the other Halo games. :(

I want this so bad, multiplayer and all!

Oozer3993

I don't understand why you want to play it so much. It's just one scripted encounter after another.

Plenty of people play and enjoy the campaigns in Call of Duty games and those are heavily scripted. The amount of what appear to be scripted events in the demo is one of the big attractions for me due to how unusual it is for a Halo game. Bungie (and now 343) have stayed away from scripting the action much in any of the released games. I think it would be interesting to play a curated experience from Bungie.

I just have a fascination with unreleased games or early versions of games anyway. I beat Bioshock: Infinite about a week ago and then spent quite a bit of time researching the 2010 and 2011 gameplay demos of it. Hell, I still have the NBA Elite 11 demo on my 360's hard drive.

And besides, who wouldn't love to see what crazy stuff happened when you tried to go "off-script?" By some accounts that 2003 demo barely ran.

MormaPope

Banned
Halo 2 Anniversary on Durango would be better, 1080P resolution and textures, 120 FPS, make it the best beast it could possibly be.

Doran902

if its just a mp map pack for halo 4 im going to be pissed

the games play so differently that i dont even know if the halo 2 maps would flow right in halo 4

I am ashamed of you if you have taken the massive opportunity to start H2A yet. It would be a triumphant launch title for Infinity.

Total WTF.

CyReN

If H2A does ever happen follow PD XBLA style, don't mess with the core just upgrade graphics. Leave glitches.

Jawmuncher

If H2A does ever happen follow PD XBLA style, don't mess with the core just upgrade graphics. Leave glitches.

I wouldn't mind that at all.
Not going to lie the glitches were part of what made the game so fun.
You know you got something when you can play a MP map in solo and have fun just doing super jumps, getting out of levels, etc.

I hope this turns into a map pack for Halo 4.

I can't get over the disaster that was CE:A.

I also would not want it to be just maps in Halo 4, I want the whole deal.

But yeah, Anniversary felt slightly bad for me too. Not even all the multiplayer maps makes no sense to me. And online coop added a huge amount of input lag.

I really never understood the whole "split the playerbase" comment involving the game having the original MP. For a franchise that still has MP legs for 3 and Reach, let alone 4, I just don't get it. And its not like those people who are still playing halo 4 after all this time would throw their copies out.

Halo CE:A was the one of the biggest disapointments this gen because I wanted ce MP, not Reach. So sad

Top Bottom