• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 coming to iOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

Edit: SMH I'm late I see the date now

has this been posted yet?

Halo: Spartan Assault, a new touch-based top-down shooter only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

LandingGameImages_halospartanassault_sidekick.png

Games:Halo: Spartan Assault Halo Official Site

HALO LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE
Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, "Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new top-down action shooter that brings a "Halo" video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, "Halo: Spartan Assault" provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.
Set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4," "Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new chapter of the award-winning "Halo" universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.
With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, "Halo: Spartan Assault" brings the epic scale and action of the "Halo" universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.

Woorloog

Banned
Who the fuck wants to play as Sarah Palmer?

EDIT is Spartan Assault the same as that Halo: Bootcamp that was in Korean ratings board?

Grief.exe

Guys I get so excited when I think of Halo 3 on Steam.

I get excited for Halo 1/2 as well since I don't have a DVD drive in my current build so I can't even install the game if I wanted to.

She's fine in the cutscenes but holy shit is she a nerd-hater in-game. Everything she says amounts to "shut up with the science talk and make it happen. Now kill everything you see". It's fine once but when she does it twice in every single Spartan Ops chapter? I hope they ease off with that part of her...

Halo 2 has been turned off

8 minutes ago, not a single server, not able to create private match etc etc :(((

Hoping it's just a glitch

EDIT: Just a glitch, but a guy told me that it will be turned off at 8:30 and they were :s weird...

Hopefully they will extend support

Grief.exe

Halo 2 has been turned off

8 minutes ago, not a single server, not able to create private match etc etc :(((

Hoping it's just a glitch

GFWL has been very finicky lately, even more prone to failure and outages than usual.

EDIT: Just a glitch, but a guy told me that it will be turned off at 8:30 and they were :s weird...

Hopefully they will extend support

Ya...that's not a valid source.

Papytendo

http://rtxevent.com/events/event.php?id=205

Get an exclusive first look at 343’s next Halo announcement! Join 343’s Franchise Director Frank O’Connor, Senior Producer Graeme Jennings, Community Producer Andy “BRAVO” Dudynsky, along with Designers from Austin’s own Certain Affinity Studios and special guest Zach Zeldin from Virgin Gaming to discuss an action packed Halo summer. Come for the lovely Jessica “BS ANGEL” Shea (panel moderator) and stay for all the latest and greatest Halo updates.

oh god

Grief.exe

http://rtxevent.com/events/event.php?id=205

Get an exclusive first look at 343’s next Halo announcement! Join 343’s Franchise Director Frank O’Connor, Senior Producer Graeme Jennings, Community Producer Andy “BRAVO” Dudynsky, along with Designers from Austin’s own Certain Affinity Studios and special guest Zach Zeldin from Virgin Gaming to discuss an action packed Halo summer. Come for the lovely Jessica “BS ANGEL” Shea (panel moderator) and stay for all the latest and greatest Halo updates.

oh god

Interesting. Added to Google Calender right from the site, thanks for the link. I'm guessing its Central Time since its in Texas.

Most of it is probably Halo 4 related though, I know I will watch but I'm not getting my expectations too high.

Grief.exe

How do you play a shooter on a tablet? I can't even imagine a control scheme

This isn't a shooter, but I think this picture shows it the best.

mzl.vgtgdwvu.320x480-75.jpg

The simulated analog stick in the lower left hand corner, imagine one of those on both sides. Just like you would control a shooter on console.

Admittedly, I don't really play games on my phone, but I'd imagine this is how it would work.

This isn't a shooter, but I think this picture shows it the best.

mzl.vgtgdwvu.320x480-75.jpg

The simulated analog stick in the lower left hand corner, imagine one of those on both sides. Just like you would control a shooter on console.

Admittedly, I don't really play games on my phone, but I'd imagine this is how it would work.

So, if your left thumb is on stick and your right thumb is on stick, how do you press firing button? There is triggers on a gamepad for that, but on a tablet there is no such thing

I'm going to be seriously butthurt when they pull a CE:A and don't include any multiplayer. What are the chances that they would release multi for more than one (or even one) of the games.

I'm going to be seriously butthurt when they pull a CE:A and don't include any multiplayer. What are the chances that they would release multi for more than one (or even one) of the games.

I would hope that each one would receive its own multiplayer. Perhaps have all three games fall under the same server but each game has its own maps (so, I can open up Halo 2 and jump into a Halo 3 multiplayer game, but only if I own Halo 3 on my steam account).

At very least, they should include the original Halo 2 multiplayer with better net code.

Grief.exe

I'll make the argument with the assumption that they are bringing Halo 1-3 to Steam.

On their own console, they have to worry about splitting the community. If they put a multiplayer mode into Halo: CEA, they would have been cannibalizing their potential for Halo: Reach DLC sales.
By leaving it out, they have the maximum revenue potential for Halo: Reach.

They aren't worried about selling DLC for old games on PC, nor are they worried about splitting the community. The PC community will dictate which games will have dedicated servers available for them, I doubt Microsoft will provide any servers for the game.

If all three games are released on Steam, there is a possibility that Microsoft will just remove the GFWL functionality from Halo 2, and as a result the multiplayer capability.
It would take both time and resources to configure and test the dedicated server multiplayer for both Halo 2 and Halo 3, would be understandable if they removed the ability to play multiplayer on Halo 2 entirely.
Halo 1 already has dedicated server capability, so they would not have to do anything with this release. It does have its own issues though, I believe you have to lead your shots more.

If they are only releasing Halo 1 & 2 on Steam, then they will just rip GFWL from Halo 2 and configure dedicated server functionality for that release.

I'll make the argument with the assumption that they are bringing Halo 1-3 to Steam.

On their own console, they have to worry about splitting the community. If they put a multiplayer mode into Halo: CEA, they would have been cannibalizing their potential for Halo: Reach DLC sales.
By leaving it out, they have the maximum revenue potential for Halo: Reach.

They aren't worried about selling DLC for old games on PC, nor are they worried about splitting the community. The PC community will dictate which games will have dedicated servers available for them, I doubt Microsoft will provide any servers for the game.

If all three games are released on Steam, there is a possibility that Microsoft will just remove the GFWL functionality from Halo 2, and as a result the multiplayer capability.
It would take both time and resources to configure and test the dedicated server multiplayer for both Halo 2 and Halo 3, would be understandable if they removed the ability to play multiplayer on Halo 2 entirely.
Halo 1 already has dedicated server capability, so they would not have to do anything with this release. It does have its own issues though, I believe you have to lead your shots more.

If they are only releasing Halo 1 & 2 on Steam, then they will just rip GFWL from Halo 2 and configure dedicated server functionality for that release.

I really hope all three (or at least the first two because 3 looks pretty nice already) get the Anniversary versions for PC. Besides, doesn't it seem to be a little odd to release games in 2013 that look like that? I think they might -- I hope they might -- based on other games they have done. Look at Age of Empires II HD for example.

Grief.exe

I really hope all three (or at least the first two because 3 looks pretty nice already) get the Anniversary versions for PC. Besides, doesn't it seem to be a little odd to release games in 2013 that look like that? I think they might -- I hope they might -- based on other games they have done. Look at Age of Empires II HD for example.

Age of Empires isn't really a great example, the base game didn't function well with modern graphics cards.
It needed to be converted to from DirectDraw to DirectX in order to be playable on modern PC configurations.

Graphically, they did not change much outside of the water and some terrain.

Comparing this to Halo, those games would already easily function within a DirectX environment. Original Xbox games also look just fine at high resolutions, AA, AF, and other effects.
There would be no reason to put in the extra work, and I doubt Microsoft is looking to put in the work either.

Thread on the AoE II HD release if interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517122&highlight=

Boogdud

Heck yeah "touch-based" halo, been waiting on this one for a while.

Hope it comes out before Photoshop "Light Bright edition". That's probably going to occupy a lot of time.

Age of Empires isn't really a great example, the base game didn't function well with modern graphics cards.
It needed to be converted to from DirectDraw to DirectX in order to be playable on modern PC configurations.

Graphically, they did not change much outside of the water and some terrain.

Comparing this to Halo, those games would already easily function within a DirectX environment. Original Xbox games also look just fine at high resolutions, AA, AF, and other effects.
There would be no reason to put in the extra work, and I doubt Microsoft is looking to put in the work either.

Thread on the AoE II HD release if interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517122&highlight=

Your right, but then again, if they are making a Halo 2 anniversary, then it being x86, DirectX and all that would make it decently easy to port to PC. Halo CE An. would be slightly more difficult, but nothing serious. That's what I want, but yeah, even if it was just the originals (with the graphical settings fixed. Halo should support high res. natively. Also, the textures should be unlocked) that were released on steam (with Halo 3), that would still be pretty nice.

EDIT: thanks for the thread link. :)

It seems worth a bump since RTX is starting in around an hour (I think). Whilst I doubt that anything about Halo 2/3 will be announced during it, 343 is meant to be having some sort of announcement. You never know.

Whilst I doubt that anything about Halo 2/3 will be announced during it, 343 is meant to be having some sort of announcement. You never know.

The fact that Certain Affinity is there too seems potentially interesting, considering they're the rumored developers of the Halo 3 PC port. Though they are from Texas, so it could just be a coincidence, or a Halo 4 map pack.

Either I have my timezones wrong or it's running late.

The fact that Certain Affinity is there too seems potentially interesting, considering they're the rumored developers of the Halo 3 PC port. Though they are from Texas, so it could just be a coincidence, or a Halo 4 map pack.

Oh, I didn't realise that. I'm trying my hardest not to get my hopes up.

Either I have my timezones wrong or it's running late.

Oh, I didn't realise that. I'm trying my hardest not to get my hopes up.

They're having technical difficulties, and seemingly still letting people into the panel. Also on the Twitch page it says "On Saturday, July 6 we’ll be discussing what's next for Halo 4 this summer at our RTX Panel." in addition to the panel being called "What's Next: Halo 4 Summer 2013" I feel like they could be announcing a map pack, or something strictly Halo 4 related.

Then again, I guess Halo 3 PC is more of a cool thing that some people have wanted, and not a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, so I could see it being announced in addition to other things.

It could go either way, I think.

Grief.exe

They're having technical difficulties, and seemingly still letting people into the panel. Also on the Twitch page it says "On Saturday, July 6 we’ll be discussing what's next for Halo 4 this summer at our RTX Panel." in addition to the panel being called "What's Next: Halo 4 Summer 2013" I feel like they could be announcing a map pack, or something strictly Halo 4 related.

Then again, I guess Halo 3 PC is more of a cool thing that some people have wanted, and not a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, so I could see it being announced in addition to other things.

It is a long shot, but I'll take it.

They have to announce something soon with Halo 2 since they said they only extended the server support through June.

Damn :/ I got excited before when they said "Get an exclusive first look at 343’s next Halo announcement!" but it's probably just a Halo 4 map pack.

Grief.exe

Damn :/ I got excited before when they said "Get an exclusive first look at 343’s next Halo announcement!" but it's probably just a Halo 4 map pack.

Considering the concurrent player numbers, I'm not so sure a map pack will be all that profitable.

What will be profitable? A Halo Trilogy release on Steam.

Well I was just saying they probably wouldn't dedicate a whole panel to talking about Halo 3 coming to PC. Could be both.

It is a long shot, but I'll take it.

They have to announce something soon with Halo 2 since they said they only extended the server support through June.

Yeah, there's enough oddities at the moment that point toward something happening sooner than later. I don't really know 343's convention schedule for the rest of the year, or if they would even need to announce it somewhere public (instead of just doing it online). But yeah, the Halo 2 server stuff does theoretically put a timer on all of this.

Also a Rooster Teeth employee was saying on Twitter that the panel starts in under a half an hour, 15 minutes ago, so probably 1:30 PM CST, instead of 1 PM.

Well I was just saying they probably wouldn't dedicate a whole panel to talking about Halo 3 coming to PC. Could be both.

Oh yeah, I know they won't have a whole panel towards it, but them saying what's 'new' for Halo 4 sounds like it could be the same thing as the announcement they're going to make.

Considering the concurrent player numbers, I'm not so sure a map pack will be all that profitable.

What will be profitable? A Halo Trilogy release on Steam.

Are Halo 4's numbers really that bad now? I haven't been keeping up for a while.

wwm0nkey

Oh yeah, I know they won't have a whole panel towards it, but them saying what's 'new' for Halo 4 sounds like it could be the same thing as the announcement they're going to make.

Are Halo 4's numbers really that bad now? I haven't been keeping up for a while.

like 25k a day I think and still dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom