• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3, Halo: CEA, Halo 4 and Halo 3: ODST Are Now Backward Compatible

Why would I want to play these as BC titles instead of the versions from MCC with better performance and resolutions? I only know MCC has gotten a lot of shit which is mainly because of online modes being in a worse state than one would want?

ODST has firefight, 3 and 4 have years worth of Forge maps, and CEA should have the Reach Anniversary multiplayer included.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Eh, kinda pointless with MCC existing. Can't go back to 30fps.

Maybe the playlist/map settings are better but i have no clue what they are nowadays.

Wasn’t ODST the first time bungie experimented with their destiny idea?

yes, it was

Why would I want to play these as BC titles instead of the versions from MCC with better performance and resolutions? I only know MCC has gotten a lot of shit which is mainly because of online modes being in a worse state than one would want?

For campaign, theres absolutely no reason to play those over MCC unless theres a bug in MCC preventing you to do something, which is likely to happen because....343

Maybe the playlist/map settings are better but i have no clue what they are nowadays.

Yeah the 30 FPS is a non-starter for me. I can't play any shooter at 30 FPS anymore. This is great for the people that don't mind, the DLC being free was the right move as well.

watership

Yeah, it's hard to play Halo at 30fps after how great the games are at 60. Before you roast me. This isn't about the multiplayer code, which still can have issues. This about how the games feel/look.

Forgive my ignorance on that whole situation, but isn't that the decision of the publisher (Microsoft) or am I missing something?

Don't know. Probably a Microsoft decision or Bungie felt they added enough content to justify a selling it standalone. ODST is still great so I'm not personally bothered but I remember a bunch of people being angry about it.

ODST was suppose to be a DLC that they sold for $60.................................................

They wanted to sell it for $40 that was Microsoft.

And you both assume that it's Bungie that is anti-consumer and not maybe the publisher?

In the case of Destiny era Bungie I don't have to assume. Luke Smith made it clear Bungie doesn't care about their customers. They continue that trend in Destiny 2 by charging money for colors.

see5harp

... "Perfectly"

lol

Well the campaigns were always solid. For ODST, I don't think there'd be any reason to care about this.

EDIT: and regarding the whole "greed" thing, I think it's pretty clear that ODST is not the typical expansion. They should have never even included Halo 3 in the title or worried about including map packs for multiplayer. Lesser companies released far less for $60 last gen.

blakep267

I was just getting a hankering for some halo 4 MP. I didn't hate it back in the day and I didn't play much of it in MCc

Blam

Nice! I knew they would do it right around the 10th Anniversary of Halo 3 :) I can't wait to play it online next week with thousands of other Spartans that wish for the true Halo experience! Halo 3 is still populated enough to get in slayer matches, but it's not as young as it use to be :( ...... oh if only we could go back to a simpler time :)

1194204-one_million_small.jpg

Ahh yes I remember this. I can't wait to hop on and play a shitload of SWAT.

4s campaign is alright, the MP meh

yes, as compared to now where activision makes the decisions. But good guy bungie wanted to give it away for 40$!

I binged Halo 4's MP for I think 2 months from release and then I stopped playing. I never experienced what the game was like with all the huge updates that apparently ruined it.

AlexBasch

I always found the Halo series to be absolute boring as fuck.

Then I happened to rent ODST. Fell in love with that game. <3

Voidwolf

I am missing 1 achievement in Halo 3. 15-0. I think it's time to try again.

Oh man, I remember hunting that one for a while. The adrenaline I felt every time I almost pulled it off remains unmatched to this day. I ended up getting it one day while just playing for fun and not realizing I was near a Perfection.

I happen to have a very short day at work today. Definitely going to play through ODST! This is gonna be a nostalgic trip! That also means I can play the Mythic Disc! Oh man it's like going back to high school.

... "Perfectly"

lol

Dont know why i said perfectly lol but it does in fact work now. In the sense of it finds matches quickly with no issues with parties or anything. There are still sound issues, but a few friends of mine loaded it up a couple weeks ago as a joke because we were trying to play Friday the 13th, which is also broken. The joke was on us as our party of 6 kept finding matches of BTB with no issues. We played the next night with the same performance. It was the fun i expected when i first bought the game. I am not trying to say its perfect that was a mistake on my part, but i can tell you if you go on it right now it works light years better than maybe even 6 months ago. Id like to see what others experience is like because i still feel as though its not true

kuYuri

I have no idea why BC ODST is listen in the store as Campaign Edition and the MCC addon is just Halo 3:ODST

Because the game is technically campaign only (and firefight) and that was the name of the release on Games on Demand, which was only the campaign/firefight. The original Halo 3: ODST release on disc came with a copy of Halo 3's multiplayer on a separate disc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because the game is technically campaign only (and firefight) and that was the name of the release on Games on Demand, which was only the campaign/firefight. The original Halo 3: ODST release on disc came with a copy of Halo 3's multiplayer on a separate disc.

yep more or less.

CE is still my favorite campaign <3

It starts super strong, maybe better than any other Halo, but the back half of the game is boring and tedious! Gargantuan levels that repeats itself endlessly with the same rooms and corridors over and over again and with backtracking to boot!

Im sorry but Halo CE's campaign didnt age well at all.

It starts super strong, maybe better than any other Halo, but the back half of the game is boring and tedious! Gargantuan levels that repeats itself endlessly with the same rooms and corridors over and over again and with backtracking to boot!

its only the library that gets dull at one point, too firefighty, otherwise the rest is classic. Nothing beats that first person pelican drop on the beach, NOTHING.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

The middle is tedious in retrospect. Although the Library is brilliant (shut up, it is - if you are able to play it strategically), and The Maw is one of the greatest final levels in FPS history.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish there was a collection of the Bungie Halo titles to play through in a consistent way.

If you choose the MCC, Reach is missing and 2's cutscenes stand out in their brilliant jarring glory. And now if you go with the BC titles, 2 is missing.

I wish we had just got separate Anniversary rereleases of each individual game.

:-(

But I have to say, it is really cool that we get to revisit the games at all, and that there are options for how to do it.

jelly

If I got ODST for free as part of the gift for MCC players, will I then have this version, or was that something different?

Something different.

I wonder if they'll get a big population bump. Might give Halo 3 a whirl at the weekend, 30fps be damned for nostalgia, we're back. It was fun when it went games with gold, loads of people gave it a go again.

Top Bottom