• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

Cranster

Banned

Arguably the biggest console exclusive of last generation, it's hard to believe it's been ten years since this game was released. The hype, the marketing, the expectations, the industry impact. Halo 3's Public Beta also set an industry trend of public Beta's (though in most cases nowadays Beta's are mostly just pre-release demos) It really left an impact on the industry, Per wikipedia...
Halo 3 grossed US$300 million in its first week. More than one million people played Halo 3 on Xbox Live in the first twenty hours. To date, Halo 3 has sold in excess of 14.5 million copies, making it the fifth best selling Xbox 360 game of all time, the best selling Xbox 360 exclusive title and the best selling first person shooter on the console outside of the Call of Duty games. The game was also the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S.

I remember the cheers I got from the lineup at my local EB Games as I was the first to walk out with a copy of the game which happened to be the Legendary Edition. Before that we spent the past few hours reminiscing of our times with Halo 1 and Halo 2 aswell as with the Halo 3 Beta.

I3T6oj.gif

Anyone have memories with this game they\d like to share, GAF!?

malfcn

Not a fan of the mp. (Because I always got wasted).
But the story, soundtrack and journey felt compete.

RoKKeR

This is what got me into gaming. Made many friendships with people I talk to on a nearly daily basis to this day through this game.

Am incredible game and community that emerged around it.

Also fuck. 10 years. Time flies.

Nialrot

The amount of time I put into multiplayer is absurd.

Pretty much got me through college. Good times....

Lingitiz

No game has ever felt as big as Halo 3 to me in terms of hype and mainstream attention. I'm sure there have been bigger debuts in terms of pure numbers, but Halo 3 truly felt like a massive event.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So many multiplayer memories, from the overly serious multiplayer sessions to the ridiculously insane custom games with maps required glitched forge objects in the sky. Was literally my most played game until Reach came out. If i'm gonna be completely honest no other game has filled that MP void.

Probably my favourite game ever. Offered everything. Am absolutely starved for something comparable.

God I want splitscreen sprintless Halo back so bad.

hydruxo

First game I bought for my 360. Lots of great memories playing MP and Legendary campaign.

The hype before H3 came out was unreal.

Toxi

Banned
Ten years later, it's still the best Halo campaign to play through with a friend.

"I count two Scarabs! Repeat: Two Scarabs!"

The Halo series never really managed the same level of hype after this game. Not because the games themselves were poor, but the FPS market really changed in 2007 with COD:MW (too bad the market didn't follow some of the other amazing FPS games of that year...)

Anyway, this is the game I bought a 360 for before it had even been revealed. Many great times to be had. I'm still hopeful it will launch on PC at some point hehe.

My favorite multiplayer gaming memories stem from this game. To this day Halo 3 had and still has the best custom games of all time. I remember it was the first game I specifically took sick days to play when it came out. Great times man, great times.

Halo 3 was the first game I ever went to a midnight launch for, and it was an absolute blast. Best Buy gave out so much extra crap for free, and I bought the stupid helmet edition because that was smart... at the end of it my friends and I all went home and we played the campaign start to finish, it was so much fun and it'll never be replicated.

Duxxy3

It sucks that Microsoft didn't get out an anniversary edition of the game out. I really thought that would have been the perfect game for the X.

It has the best campaign in the series, while the multiplayer is only marginally better than Halo Reach and 4. Even still, would have loved a remaster of the campaign with Blur cinematics a long with a handful of maps in a new engine. Microsoft is leaving money on the table.

molnizzle

Played so much splitscreen in Afghanistan.

I feel for soldiers these days. Not much available to them without Internet. I guess they have the Switch, but there aren't really any shooters out for that yet.

Timu

1st Halo game I beat on Legendary and spent a ton of hours on for multiplayer.

Easily one of my fave Halo games.

Grisby

Still Bungie's best campaign. I remember waiting in the midnight line for this while I was going to college.

Compsiox

Banned
Great game. Great memories. Great fun.

I'll always miss the infection custom games and the other crazy user made modes.

KageMaru

Picked the game up at launch with friends and we had a LAN party where we played through the game co-op and had a good number of CMP matches. Didn't really care for the CMP for the most part but the co-op was awesome. Some plot holes still bothers me when thinking about how the trilogy wrapped up.

The launch was a definitely an event as it was the only game we did a round Robin-type review when I contributed to Wii60.com.

Still Bungie's best campaign. I remember waiting in the midnight line for this while I was going to college.
I went to the mall Gamestop midnight release. They had everyone in the food court. The entire food court was literally packed. One of the best nights of my life.

chaislip3

Oh, man. The memories I have of this game. First online multiplayer experience I ever had. I remember playing Custom Games and matchmaking with my friends every weekend for hours on end.

Jenga, Fat Kid, Ice Cream Man, Duck Hunt, Trash Compactor. Those were so much fun.

I must have put nearly 200 hours into it. One summer we spent weeks trying to complete the Vidmaster Challenges. That 4-player co-op campaign on Legendary led to some moments I'll never forget. I've never had a gaming experience quite like Halo 3.

Where did the time go...

Pooya

Tsavo Highway on legendary was so fun...

It's my favorite campaign overall minus Cortana. The Ark-> The Covenant is so damn good. I used to replay that every now and then when I still had a 360. It was so fun and every time played differently even. I'd play it again now if I could on PC, just saying...

BTB was so much fun for a very long time too, last good halo multiplayer if you ask me.

I have stupid amounts of nostalgia for everything about this game. It still beats 95% of games that come out in terms of feature set and sheer content to this day. Singleplayer. Online 4 player Co-Op. Matchmaking. Forge. Custom games. Theater. An incredible Masterpiece.

I desperately want this game on PC. My heart aches for it; I have nothing to play it on anymore. I sold my Xbox One and I almost wish I hadn't. Halo is a beloved franchise of mine and half baked ports just don't do it. Bring the MCC to PC proper 343, and I would love you forever!

Jigorath

Banned
Oh man, what a great game. I can't even count how many hours I spent in multiplayer, or playing the campaign in co-op over and over and again.

It was definitely Halo's peak and it was unreal how much hype there was for it even outside the gaming community.

It was an event that I haven't seen matched since.

Hard to believe 10 years has gone by. I was at the midnight launch at Gamestop, got home and 6 hours later completed the campaign on heroic with 2 of my friends in co-op. Slept till noon (skipped school, like everybody else did) and played MP the rest of the day and night.

2007 was a hell of a fucking ride with Halo 3 being the peak of the hype craze. Don't think we'll ever see something like this again.

kuYuri

The first Halo game that I was actually there for the launch hype. Had tons of fun with it and might have dominated all my time, but then CoD4 came out and ended up becoming my main mp game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
We'll never be that hyped for a game again.

Such an amazing time to be in the hobby.

I really hope MCC is getting a 4K res part for XOX. It would be insane for it not too.

Top Bottom