• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

NMFried

Still the most fun I’ve ever had with a video game. At least for a prolonged period of time. Hundreds and hundreds of hours in casual, ranked, Grifball, custom games, co-op campaign.

Also still my most proud 100%. Such a wonderful game.

Still the most fun I’ve ever had with a video game. At least for a prolonged period of time. Hundreds and hundreds of hours in casual, ranked, Grifball, custom games, co-op campaign.

Also still my most proud 100%. Such a wonderful game.
Never got that damn 2 for 1 laser kill achievement in rumble. Haunts me to this day.

I still remember beating the game and saying to my buddy, "That was a great ending." He responds, "I can't believe they killed off Master Chief". I'm like, "Didn't you watch through the credits". Him: "No, why?"...

Goldboy

One of my favorites ever. I don't know how one game managed to have SO many classic maps but goddamn. I can't even decide on a favorite between The Pit, Guardian, Valhalla, High Ground, Avalanche, Rat's Nest, or several others.

Nowise10

Was in 5th grade when it came out. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Halo 3 was an experience I will never live through again. Such an incredible game, with an incredible community.

jryeje29

I remember everyone at my school being so hyped for this, then a kid in one of my classes got the halo custom xbox and basically king shit while this game was big.

Van Bur3n

One of my favorite and most played games of all time. Most of the time being in the glory that be custom games. So many great memories of being able to go on my recent players list and join random people in their custom games and just have fun. Made a lot of good friends that way.

It was the peak of the series and was a great finale for the trilogy in every aspect. Campaign, multiplayer, custom games, forge, theater mode, file sharing, achievements that actually rewarded you with stuff, it had it all. Would have been a great finale, anyway...

Jeff6851

Bought an Xbox 360 for this game. I had been hating on Halo for a while because I didn't have an Xbox and got caught up in console wars. Got this game on my 15th birthday (9/29) and beat it in one day on co op with a friend.

Later, I found out how to connect to Xbox Live on my computer using its wifi and played online for the first time. I found out I actually wasn't very good but damn if I didn't have fun. Then all the later years of playing with people from IGN and doing custom games with friends. I'm still holding out hope for an anniversary edition on PC because I'd be there day 1.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I remember playing it in 2007 at a friends but we only played for an hour. Didn't do anything for me. All my other friends wouldn't shut up about it either.

Never actually played any Halo game myself until 2015 when I got an Xbox One and MCC. I fell in love with the games. Well, it was just really the campaign I played so can't say anything of MP.

I still have a 360 in the cupboard so might give it another playthrough.

dlauv

This game was kind of GOAT.

Gigantic levels, tons of interactivity, four player split-screen co-op (that could go ONLINE -- altho this was in Halo 2, huh?). What was it? 8v8 or 12v12 as the max? Fucking Forge, man. The game modes and map editing you do were nuts.

This shit blew everything out of the water until CoD4 came along with something fresher and easier.

I wonder if the Halo 3 hype can ever be replicated if Bungie returned to make one more Halo game as a launch title for the next generation Xbox (and PC cross-play)? The hype can be massive.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I wonder if the Halo 3 hype can ever be replicated if Bungie returned to make one more Halo game as a launch title for the next generation Xbox? The hype can be massive.

If Bungie ever did make another Halo I imagine there would be crazy hype but it'll never happen. They're focusing on Destiny which won't be finished until well into next gen. That's assuming they do stop at Destiny 3.

I wonder if the Halo 3 hype can ever be replicated if Bungie returned to make one more Halo game as a launch title for the next generation Xbox (and PC cross-play)? The hype can be massive.

That Bungie doesn't exist anymore, Reach and Destiny are all the indication you need.

Arklite

I have a lot or respect for what H3 did with its multiplayer. Particularly I thought the full match replays were going to be standard features going forward. That said, the single player was some dated ass shit, mediocre level designs with constant backtracking and horrendously cheesy dialogue/story. Confusing, given how highly reviews spoke of the campaign.

Had SO much fun with this game for so long. It sucked though when COD 4 came out and a ton of my friends at the time got totally addicted to that and moved on. I could never jive with COD so I lost a good amount of my online buddies.

Man Halo 3 was a legendary game. I played that multiplayer for so many damn hours. I actually didn't like the campaign that much though.

Also, Halo continues to be a series with one of the best collections of music in the entire business. Marty O'Donnell is a brilliant composer. His and Michael Salvatori's work with the series is just unmatched. Those are some powerful songs that can really make you feel things. I miss them working on Halo. It hasn't been the same since they left. Ugh.

Never owned it (or an xbox for that matter), but I did spend a lot of weekends playing it at friend's places. God I was terrible at it, but it was fun.

Split-screen on CRTs. Never going back to that.

El_Chino

I remember picking up my Legendary Edition at Best Buy by Grand Central. It was a lot of fun. I got to meet Frankie!

Also, fuck I'm getting old.

That Bungie doesn't exist anymore, Reach and Destiny are all the indication you need.

Yeah, I know. I'm thinking more along the lines of the marketing speak they can use around the title.

Halo 6

From the original developers of Halo!

Bungie returns to the series after 10 years! (Assuming it's a 2020 release)

Plus, all the crazy spending that MS will do with the hype trailers and such. It'd be kind of cool to see Bungie get one last crack at Halo, tbh. They've still got the gunplay down to perfection.

They fucked up so bad not having halo 3 remastered for Xbox one X
God, 10 years
Time flies
I was a college freshman when this released, third week I think too 😂 RIP grades
Played it so much, my bro and I played it so much

Good times man :)

"Believe" is still an amazing trailer, my god it still looks amazing today.

belushy

Banned
Definitely a lot of memories had in this one. I don't think its a very good game looking back on it.

edit: MP gameplay wise. Campaign was great.

The hype around the launch of this game was unreal; everyone was talking about it.
Awesome game that deserved the hype.

The Bungie-era Halo games set the bar high with their vast feature set that a lot of games today still don't hit, which is a damn shame.

The hype around the launch of this game was unreal; everyone was talking about it.

The Bungie-era Halo games set the bar high with their vast feature set that a lot of games today still don't hit, which is a damn shame.

Is this Bungie team still together? I don't really read about a lot of departures from their team.

I remember how mad I was when I saw the announcement of the game and I couldn't buy it until nearly 6 years later since we couldn't afford a 360. Finally got to play it after those 6 years and my gosh I was amazed. I love that game.

Nowise10

I remember it being mentioned on the morning and nightly news as it was such a big event, ha.

Just insane.

Time sure does fly, I think the midnight Halo 3 launch might have been my first one, and the only one that had a huge crowd, it's funny comparing it to Halo 4 in my head, where i just walked into Wal-Mart, was maybe the only one there, and walking back out.

Cranster

Banned
Is this Bungie team still together? I don't really read about a lot of departures from their team.
No, while some of the original Halo team are still at Bungie a good chunck of the key figures left or were fired from Bungie. A few big names off the top of my head are Marty, Frankie, Alex Seropian, Jamie Griesmer, Marcus Lehto Max Hoberman, ect.

Wow, can't believe it's been that long. 2007 was a banner year in general for games in general, but Halo 3 was still *the* game (I remember being obsessed with it at the same time as the COD4 beta - talk about having a gluttony of good choices for games to play).

From custom games/forge maps to the campaign there was always something to do and friends to play with. By far my best online gaming memories and a truly fantastic experience. top to bottom.

I still feel like we haven't had a game "moment" quite like Halo 3 was since, but maybe it was just personal time and place for myself.

Södy

Perfect game. Amazing campaign, competitive and insanely fun multiplayer and the best soundtrack any game ever had.

Always was so much fun because of random "WTF" moments in MP. Also, alle the easter eggs you tried to find were awesome aswell.

Orayn

The thing that really boggles my mind is how it was the last BIG online shooter with a level playing field until... Overwatch? I think? I guess you could count Halo Reach and Halo 5, but they weren't bold, underscore, upper-case big in the same way Halo 3 was.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GOAT FPS. GOAT pre-release hype, GOAT campaign by a considerable margin, and perhaps most overlooked is the feature set that set industry standards that many some still fail to meet today.

It makes me sad that we'll probably never get an FPS in the vein of Halo 3 again because of how FPS trends and the industry at large permanently changed in the years following between CoD4 and Minecraft.

Top Bottom