• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not a mp guy. I rarely play the mp suite of a game more than a few days if I bother with it, yet... I played Halo 3's multi for weeks. First campaign co-op, then actual deathmatch. Spent so many hours on the game.

This game's (pre)launch was a phenomenon.

Campaign is likely the best that Bungie’s ever done when it comes to scenarios, The Ark and The Covanant are Halo at its best - longform missions that really take you on a roller coaster journey with peaks, valleys, and a great climax.

MP never did it for me. The aim acceleration felt off, and everything that wasn’t a power weapon just felt underpowered to me. The BR with its limiting spread and bullet refunding mucking up proper 1v1s, the Carbine being overall weak, the pea shooter AR, etc. Weak BRs and Carbines kind of pulled the combat to a shorter engagement distance, which was less interesting to me. Equipment always felt like a cheap “gotcha” mechanic where dropping a bubble shield out of nowhere would grind the pace to a halt, and engaging a player that just happened to be carrying a regenerator would likely spell death. The great flow of Halo 2’s many circular maps like Sanc, Midship and Warlock were abandoned for more rigid, boxy maps like Pit and Narrows. Even the better designed maps like Guardian were diminished by uneven surfaces and nooks everywhere eating up grenades. The shield door maps were abominations and I have no clue how they were play tested with positive results. Epitaph is like wat.

Clearly people have a lot of love for Halo 3’s MP and I wish I felt the same.

Trup1aya

This is the sort of perspective that I wish more people were conscious of. It's impossible for me to look at some people's persistent reactions as anything other than wanting the way the ealier games made them feel at that exact point in their lives, and responding with outright hostility that new content doesn't make them feel that again. Which is an impossible standard. Games that could make them feel it wouldn't make a broader audience feel it.

It applies to more series than just Halo, too.

Its a false perspective really.

There's no certainty that Halo couldn't continue to appeal to a broadening audience. The only thing that is certain is that the Halo audience has shrunken - a trend that started in conjunction with appeals to values that drastically differ from the principles that made halo attractive in the first place.

The logic that Halo had to change so that a broader audience could 'feel it' falls flat when you realize the changes cost the existing audience without attracting the broader audience at all.

Halo 3 wasn't just at the right place at the right time. Bungie monitored how people played H2, and intentionally created modes and features to enhance that experience.

They saw people using the honor code to make new game modes, so the made it official with forge.

They saw video content taking off on the internet, so they made theater.

They made fileshare painless to tie it all together.

They saw the community potential and BUILT tools into the game that solicited and accelerated that process.

Their UX made it super easy to connect with people you met online

H3 wasn't luck or an accident. It was a phenomenon because of excellent design and decision making... The confidence provided by holding such a quality product is what justified such a marketing campaign.

I understand what you're saying, I really do.

But surely you, of all people, realize that Halo 3 was a perfect storm of golden opportunity that literally no one else in the video game industry has been able to replicate?

We're talking about a time period where:
1) Xbox 360 is undeniably the king of the console hill
2) Battlefield and Call of Duty are still relatively smaller fish in the pond
3) Very few other games receiving marketing budgets the size of Halo 3 in the comparable time period

There is objectively, no possible way to replicate the phenomenon that was Halo 3, ever again. Even the game as a package, single player, co-op, multiplayer, forge, theater, was a value that very few games have matched to this day.

It's gone. Even if 343 were to make every right decision going forward (and lets face it, no matter what direction they go in, it will generally be the wrong direction to someone, be it Microsoft, Critics, the gaming public, 343 development base itself, etc.)

We can still hold 343 accountable for making reasonable decisions (LOL, not sure if the Halo community can agree on anything any more, let alone what is a "reasonable" decision), but the dream of the golden days returning are a perverse waste of time.

Best post I've read in a Halo thread in absolute ages.

ty_hot

The hype was tremendous. Nothing comes close to that. I didn't follow the GTA 5 pre launch stuff, but GTA4 was nowhere near Halo 3 even though it was multiplat. Halo 3 was huge.

I never played any Halo though. Maybe in a few years I might get a Xbox One X and play the entire series from BC in 4K.

Halo 3 was one of the few games that lived up to its hype. The campaign, the multiplayer, the community, all of it. It was honestly still the perfect FPS imo

I have high hopes that Halo 6 (next year?) will deliver that same quality.

On Sierra 117 before you rescue the Sarge, the bit above behind it were you run along to get the skull. You can break that glass and go in there.

Frankie sounds like his native self with a cold. Never noticed his accent before.

I always wish there was more glass to break though in the game. There were very few moments in the campaign that allowed it but I loved doing it because it made me feel like some ridiculous ninja.

Biggzy

The hype around the game was insane leading up to its release helped by the fact it was backed with a very good advertisement campaign. It helps that the game was very good as well.

RSB

Banned
Heh, just yesterday I replayed a couple of levels of Halo 3 (Tsavo Highway and The Storm) Still the best FPS Campaign ever (well, maybe tied with Halo CE) So good.

Bungie really was on fire back then, from Halo CE to ODST they were just on another level. Reach was pretty good too, but with stuff like reticle bloom and the accuracy bonus when crouched, it marked the start of Bungie going for a different (and IMO inferior) style of FPS.

Oh well, that Bungie may be gone now, but it's ok, nothing lasts forever, and I'll always love them for giving us Halo.

Best Halo game.

Pity both 343 and Bungie can't even come close these days.
Yep...
:sadface:

traveler

Not Wario
Probably the most I ever got caught up in the marketing hype for a game. It deserved it too. 3 was a fantastic game all around and had a feature set still unmatched for console mp. Loved playing this game SP, loved playing it coop, loved playing competitive mp. This was also the last time a Halo release would overshadow any other FPS release, with Modern Warfare taking the lead for CoD and its like from that point on.

In the end, I still prefer Halo 2's campaign, both level design and narrative, and MP map design, but Halo 3's was close enough that with its higher level of polish, aforementioned incredible feature set, Forge, and beautiful art design, I wasn't even remotely disappointed.

I enjoy Destiny more than most I think, but I'll always miss Halo Bungie. Happy birthday, old friend.

Compsiox

Banned
Halo 3 was one of the few games that lived up to its hype. The campaign, the multiplayer, the community, all of it. It was honestly still the perfect FPS imo

I have high hopes that Halo 6 (next year?) will deliver that same quality.

Yeah agreed. Halo 5 was near perfect aside from the campaign. If they can fix that then they'll have something very special.

Jeff6851

I was trying to think of anything cool I did in Halo 3 but I wasn't very good so I didn't have many shining moments. One of my favorite memories was when I got into a game of CTF on Valhalla with some people on a different board (or maybe I met them in-game, I don't remember). If you recall, CTF games lasted about 20 minutes. Our base was the one on the ocean and I decided to hang back. I knew I wasn't the best and any attempt to get over to the enemy's side was gonna result in me getting killed and them getting closer to us.

In the first five or so minutes of the game, both teams wound up capturing two flags. It seemed that at any moment, someone was going to get the final third flag and make this a short, forgettable game. However, it seemed that this is when everyone stepped their game up. More people were hanging back on defense because they didn't want to let the other team through or maybe they weren't making any progress trying to get to the other side. For the most part, the game was quiet for a while. It seemed to be the same three people coming from their side or going to their side. I think people reached flags a few times but never got far with them.

With about three minutes left and the game looking like a stalemate, I decided I was tired of sitting at the base the entire time and might as well attempt to get the flag. I set off across the map, hiding along the edge with the downed Pelican until I got to the other team's base. I somehow managed to get up there without being spotted, grabbed the flag and took the grav jump off. Someone from my team had been driving around in a Mongoose and picked me up, making a beeline for our base. Finally, I was there, scored the third and final point and our team was victorious.

Was it the most exciting game? Probably not, but for someone who was typically in the middle or bottom third of the rankings, I thought it pretty cool. Neat that I can remember it after all this time.

Love Halo 3. It was the game's announcement trailer at E3 2006 that sold me on getting a 360 rather than mooching off a friend's console with split-screen. Ended up buying the console just ahead of launch and replaying the first two campaigns twice through; the excitement for Halo 3 was infectious.

I know I've posted this all over the place but the local multiplayer for this game still gets a lot of play from me and my friends. For garage LANs Halo 3 is the game of choice 8 times out of 10 (rocket race + shark are always favorites).

Madness

I've been posting a few memories and screenshots on my Twitter, and will post more there, and here, tonight.

I have so many fond memories of that game, the friendships it fostered, and the stories we swapped. I still remember playing the Beta, and the good vibes everyone had about checking out the new digs. The richness of the combat sandbox + great lighting and art + theater mode made capturing those crazy or fun moments was possible. Forge taught me so much about map design and how difficult it is.

A lot of my memories of the game are still just as clear as the day they happened. Some of the best times I've ever had in gaming.

Too bad you can't stick with the same community 😔 HaloGAF 4 Lyfe!

My last Halo 3 match played on Xbox 360. I rarely go back once a new one out. Stopped playing it for Reach.

Multi Flag CTF On Avalanche - Social Big Team 
Sunday, September 12, 2010

Capitan

the maps, the custom games, the forge, the campaign, the weapons- I think it's hard to match that experience nowadays. having lan parties in halo 3 with crazy custom games (with partly in game rules, partly honor system) are some of my favorite gaming memories. I wish bungie would go that direction with the destiny games, but It feels like that might not be the case. I played only a little bit of destiny 1 pvp and the D2 beta- the gunplay is awesome, but is there any custom games or larger scale maps/vechicle games?

Jaraghan

My hype for that game was incredible. I remember coming home from school one day, and my dad had a video loaded up on the computer. He played it, and it was the initial reveal trailer. I fucking lost my shit that day.

And then when the game came out, my dad said he wasn't getting it right away (I was too young to buy my own gamea), so I was a bit upset. But from upstairs, I heard my dad playing the 360 (downstairs), so I go down and see him playing the initial level of Halo 3. I fucking lost it. Again. Went straight into Forge and multiplayer, but saved off on the campaign.

On Friday, I had 4/5 friends over. We ordered pizza, pop and donuts. And we stayed up so late taking turns with the controllers playing the campaign. I was one of the people who got to play the final mission and it was undeniably fucking exhilirating.

H3 was a phenomenon that, I agree, will never be replicated again. Thousands of hours in that game, and I loved every single one.

Now I'm going to install the BC version of H3 and hop online :)

RefigeKru

Banned
Definitely in my top games. Halo 3 had it all.

Sad that no other shootbang has such a tactile approach, the physics were spot on IMO, so many random moments were possible.

gattsu

The GOAT. So many formative memories of this game in high school. Funny enough, at the time, hardcore halo fans were snobs about it, and would constantly complain about H2 being better. From a competitive sense, perhaps. But H3 was a blissful blend of competitive, social modes, slayer vs objective, and Forge. Not to mention one of the first fully-fledged, incredibly beautiful photo modes in a game, period!

I still miss the weekly community landing page when you would login. Downloading custom modes every week and playing with friends that weekend was the gift that kept on giving. I still wish FPS games would give back to their communities in the way Halo 3 did. As a diehard destiny fan now... H3 was the "good old days" to me.

Thaedolus

I've been posting a few memories and screenshots on my Twitter, and will post more there, and here, tonight.

I have so many fond memories of that game, the friendships it fostered, and the stories we swapped. I still remember playing the Beta, and the good vibes everyone had about checking out the new digs. The richness of the combat sandbox + great lighting and art + theater mode made capturing those crazy or fun moments was possible. Forge taught me so much about map design and how difficult it is.

A lot of my memories of the game are still just as clear as the day they happened. Some of the best times I've ever had in gaming.

I'll always remember that game over on death legendary run we did and driving off in the escape sequence ;_;

Red Comet

10 years ago my brother and I were waiting in line for this so damn excited and today, exactly 10 years later, his first child was born. What a cool anniversary. Time flies.

Flux

All of the Destiny 2 ads I get bombarded with feel like soulless focus tested materials. I looked back at the halo 3 prelaunch and got excited all over again for a game that I own and played countless hours.

Like others have said, it really would be tough to replicate in this day and age.

Halo 2 was the reason I got Xbox live and Halo 3 just kept the trend going. When Halo was at its prime, nothing was touching it.

I miss those days, the nostalgia is strong. Back in those days I actually used the mic.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Still my favorite Halo. I remember doing campaign runs, countless custom games, and BtB fondly. Still sucks we haven't had a bigger battle than Two Scarabs in a Halo game yet. Maybe Halo 6...

Wedzi

Banned
The passing by of Microsoft Studios greatest achievement (development, critical acclaim, advertising, sales, whatever measurement suites your fancy) with so little fanfare from Microsoft is super depressing man.

343 could learn a lot from Halo 3.

I can’t think of a gaming release that more of a cultural event than Halo 3. Only GTA V and maybe MW2 come close. It’s marketing campaign was MASSIVE. In terms of multiplayer gaming and fun/memories with friends this is probably in the top 5 all time for me.

Aurongel

I'm an old man but it feels like the cultural moment for Halo 3 was something that has been matched but never succeeded since its release.

psyfi

Banned
Most hyped I've ever been for a game. And it didn't disappoint. I have plenty of critiques, but I love the game deeply regardless.

Dat menu music. Love the part starting at 3:16

Played the heck out of this in highschool.

Fucking this.

I was about to go to High School when this came out, bonded with my best friend over hours and hours of H3 online MP, I have so many good memories of playing that game during those years.

Also the great story, how hyped we were for that legendary ending and the fact that my special edition Master Chief helmet, which is now signed by Jen Taylor, are things will always stay close to my heart.

Love this franchise.

fin

I remember I got an invite to the Friends and Family beta. Don't remember how long before crackdown it was but I had people over to come play. It was awesome.

People also need to stop shitting on 343. Halo 4 campaign was super impressive, challenging and entertaining. Halo 5 multiplayer was the most fun with Halo I had since Halo 2. Halo 6 they'll get a good single player AND multiplayer (hopefully just a minor upgrade from H5 multiplayer). The problem for me is I don't have enough time to play online anymore. AKA getting old.

reckless

Probably the most fun i've had in any game. It sucks how nothing will ever replicate what Halo 3 had.

It's amazing bought an Xbox and Xbox 360 for Halo, but now couldn't care less about Halo.

Top Bottom