• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: Legendary Edition preorders to close on 8/14 at Gamestop/EB

Seth C

GhaleonEB said:
So it's confirmed that the Collector's Edition will have content not available in the regular edition? That's kind of jacked up.

Seriously, chill. The Legendary set has a third disk of stuff aimed at the hardcore fan (the same that would want the helmet to begin with) and a set of printed storyboards. God forbid they should add content to a $130 deluxe collector's set.

http://nikon.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=130

My real issue is that the Collector's Edition has stuff that the Legendary does NOT have. If I'm spending $130 I do not want to feel like I am missing out on something. I want the hardbound book and I also really want the nicely done metal case.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
GhaleonEB said:
Seriously, chill. The Legendary set has a third disk of stuff aimed at the hardcore fan (the same that would want the helmet to begin with)

The only extra on any of the SKUs that I really care about is the HD cutscenes, but no fucking way am I paying $70 for them. I'm on the fence about Halo 3 anyway. Halo 2 was a turd.

Seth C

TAJ said:
The only extra on any of the SKUs that I really care about is the HD cutscenes, but no fucking way am I paying $70 for them.

The cutscenes aren't hi-def anyway, just "hi-res." They are on a Video DVD, so the actual resoluation is rather limited.

I paid mine off in June. I think it's pretty expensive, but the helmet will look good in my room, and it's a nice way to end the trilogy with a bang.

Seth C said:
My real issue is that the Collector's Edition has stuff that the Legendary does NOT have. If I'm spending $130 I do not want to feel like I am missing out on something. I want the hardbound book and I also really want the nicely done metal case.

I've wondered about that. How exactly are the discs going to come in the LE? Are they just going to be wiggling around in the rectangular headspace? One would think they'd give us the metal case too, no? Or maybe an even better looking case inside the helmet box. Ooooooh! I can wait! I love surprises. :) Don't let us down Bungie!

careksims

I collect figures and stuff and so the helmet is perfect to collect. I got a case just for it. This is the most expensive game I've ever bought :lol I can't wait for it!

I agree since this is the last of the trilogy. It's going to end in style.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Seth C said:
The cutscenes aren't hi-def anyway, just "hi-res." They are on a Video DVD, so the actual resoluation is rather limited.

It's not a 360 disc? Who gives a fuck, then?

Wollan

I think may be cutting my Legendary pre-order in half. Aka get CE version instead + a extra game. If it hadn't been for the fact that I can't afford almost any games this fall I would have stuck to it but it doesn't make sense anymore (student ftl).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That second LE is going to be worth so much down the road... MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Seth C said:
If the cutscenes run from the emulated engine then there is a chance they are in fact in high def.

Seth C

godhandiscen said:
That second LE is going to be worth so much down the road... MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

If the cutscenes run from the emulated engine then there is a chance they are in fact in high def.

The cutscenes are on a video DVD that can be played on any DVD player. They aren't going to be in hi-def.

If and when Mr. Frankie O reads this thread, what's the story/genesis for including the following:
The disk will also include an audio-visual calibration tool, never before seen on a video game and custom designed by the "Halo 3" graphics and audio team to make the most of fans' high-definition home theaters, for the ultimate "Halo 3" and Xbox 360™ audio and video performance.
I don't know how to ask without the answer being, "'Cause we thought of it." But is there a story behind it? It's actually really appreciated 'cause I've refused to go pay or waste a Netflix spot for a calibration disk. My eyes and ears be damned. I'm sure, though, the benefits of calibration to Halo will extend to regular tv and movie viewing as well.

And the two things I most look forward to, in what will only be my second-ever purchased LE:

* Bestiarum: A hard cover, bound collection of information and art covering the species, cultures and civilizations of Halo 3.

* a special "Halo" fiction and art book. A must-have for "Halo" collectors and a source of invaluable and exclusive information, the piece is an elaborate and compelling guide to the species and factions that inhabit the worlds of the "Halo" universe, with never-before-seen art and story that expand and illustrate the depth and breadth of the "Halo" fiction.

If LEs can do what Bioshock and Halo are doing, it's alot easier to rationalize the extra cost
to my wife

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm only talking about the $70 USD CE. Though, maybe this stuff is in the Legendary.

PaulRTC

I've had the Legendary pre-ordered since March at Amazon UK. I don't actually want the helmet unfortunately - I'm starting university this year and I don't think it will be a great idea having it on display in my room, so it'll probably end up in a box. My decision to get the LE over the CE was for the extra content.

Over here the regular edition is (after currency conversion from GBP to USD) $70, the CE is $100 and the LE is $140. It's weird they haven't scaled the prices linearly, but it makes the jump from CE to LE more appealing despite not wanting the helmet.

Kritz

Banned
I preordered the thing a month or two ago. While I intended to only buy the CE, my common sense was blinded by a giant number "3" located on the front window of my local EB store.

I regret nothing.

TheRipDizz said:
I've wondered about that. How exactly are the discs going to come in the LE? Are they just going to be wiggling around in the rectangular headspace? One would think they'd give us the metal case too, no? Or maybe an even better looking case inside the helmet box. Ooooooh! I can wait! I love surprises. :) Don't let us down Bungie!

The discs in the LE come in plastic cases, not the tin from the CE. I'm disappointed about that since the tin is so nice.

I pre-ordered the legendary edition a few months ago. I've been questioning my choice ever since, lol. I'm a sucker for anything with "Collector's Edition" on it and all the Halo hype can be pretty convincing.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Seth C said:

I am trying to find you a quote from Frank on that... I thought it was in one of the the Updates, but I haven't found it. He basically says that he understands that issue, and Bungie will find a way to get the missing content to Legendary Edition folks.

I imagine that might have been an MS decision.

Still looking for the quote...

Gav

Im in the UK and im really annoyed with whats happened to my preorder.

As soon as Game in my town were accepting Legendary edition pre-orders, i went in and got the 1st one. He didnt put it on the computer, but wrote it in the preorder book. (Hadnt seen them do that for a while, but just assumed the system was down)

Went in today to preorder a ton of stuff, and asked about my Legendary Edition.
They actually have no way of checking it was put on the computer or not without calling head office, so the guy started to do that for me, before the manager came over and stopped him saying it was pointless.
They are no longer taking orders for Legendary, so if it wasnt transferred from the book to the computer months ago, im not getting one.

Just emailed Game Customer Services, lets see what they say.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
I had one pre-ordered since November of last year from BB (cheap MS point deal).

They charged me $99 for it and they are holding true to that price so, really, not that bad. Also, I think there's room in the helmet for two more discs, meaning you can store Halo 1 and 2 in there if you're into that sort of thing.

Me, I just like how it looks. Thing'll look cool in my game room next to Big Daddy. Plus, I've worked hard. I deserves me a little extra.

PaulRTC

Cocopjojo said:
I am trying to find you a quote from Frank on that... I thought it was in one of the the Updates, but I haven't found it. He basically says that he understands that issue, and Bungie will find a way to get the missing content to Legendary Edition folks.
Yeah, it was revealed that with the Legendary Edition you get the Bestiarum in digital form with extra content above that of the hardcopy that comes with the Collector's Edition. Seth's point still stands, he was saying he doesn't like that fact that getting the Legendary Edition means you miss out on the tin case and the hardbound Bestiarum. I'd prefer if we didn't have to miss out on those too, but it's just down to packaging - you still get all the content. This was outlined in the second Bungie podcast (with Joe Staten).

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I found some quotes referring to an "art book" included in the CE, but not the LE.

Here it is, from Bungie.net, 3/16/07:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=11014

The other froth was caused by the revelation that the Limited Edition would contain one piece of content that isn’t in the Legendary Edition. Well, don’t worry about that at all. The Legendary Edition purchasers will be pleased to know that they will not have to live without that content at all. More on that later (some of the details are still being worked out), but it should be smiles and sunshine. Seriously.

And then the following month, Louis Wu of HBO says this:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=801150

They'll get it in electronic form.

Yeah, so I guess I was just revealing something we didn't even know we were missing, and not handling you guys' complaints about not getting the the different packagings. Sucks, but... How could they handle that? It's the way the sets are packaged. I'm okay getting the helmet over the tin case. Consumer's sense tells me that I should get everything the other edition has since I'm paying so much more, but I guess throwing in just the packaging from the other set would break the streamlined design of the cat helmet edition and what's packaged therein.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I have 2 legendary editions pre-ordered. Does that make me uber hardcore? :D

I did manage to snag one for $100 from BB.com before the price was raised. Too bad I have to pay for overnight shipping to get it on the 25th. It's still less than $130 though.

Not getting the tin is one thing but not putting the Beastiarum in the LE is unacceptable. I don't care so much that we get the digital version since I'd much rather look through a physical book with the art than have it on disc. I don't see any good reason why the artbook couldn't be boxed with the LE or even sent out seperately.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Not getting the tin is one thing but not putting the Beastiarum in the LE is unacceptable. I don't care so much that we get the digital version since I'd much rather look through a physical book with the art than have it on disc. I don't see any good reason why the artbook couldn't be boxed with the LE or even sent out seperately.

The more I think about this, the more I am starting to agree. I'm paying almost twice what the CE guy is paying. And I'm not getting this artbook?

Props to Bungie for getting it to us digitally, but major deprops to MS (or Bungie, whoever did it) for not giving us everything the CE guy is getting.

Marlowe

Listen -- I'm getting the Legendary edition of Halo -- I'll throw a party where we all bring our helmets while we wear our Madden 08 Jostens rings. Cool?

bumpkin

Locked mine in a month or so ago... It's going to be sweeeeeeeeeeeet. That Spartan helmet is going to look kick-ass on my desk at work.

ShinAmano

I already have the Helmet version reserved, but i may pick up a limited edition as well for the:
* Bestiarum: A hard cover, bound collection of information and art covering the species, cultures and civilizations of Halo 3.

i can't excuse it this winter when i'll be spending as much on RockBand and GH3 as i will be. i can't spend all that for an extra disc and a little plastic helmet when $80 is a RockBand drumkit.

i'm just getting the regular version and i'm perfectly happy with it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
wonderkins said:
I don't know how to ask without the answer being, "'Cause we thought of it." But is there a story behind it? It's actually really appreciated 'cause I've refused to go pay or waste a Netflix spot for a calibration disk. My eyes and ears be damned. I'm sure, though, the benefits of calibration to Halo will extend to regular tv and movie viewing as well.

Just rent a copy of The Incredibles or any other movie with the THX video calibration tool.

Frank is a bit of an A/V snob, and I'd imagine quite a few other Bungie staffers are as well. They did the Hunter and Grunt audio test previously, so it's pretty clear they want their consumers to have the best possible experience with their product. It's just another example of them taking that little extra step to make sure everything is in order. Pretty sweet stuff.

I've settled on the Collector's Edition. I was really, really close to picking up the LE, but I couldn't justify the cost, especially with my 360 showing signs that it is about to crap out. Plus, the hardbound Bestiarum will make for awesome bathroom reading.

wasting

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I already have the Helmet version reserved, but i may pick up a limited edition as well for the

That's what I did, pre order legendary online at CC to get the 4foot chief sticker pickup limited at midnight release.

I wasn't going to pre-order the game at all until the 4 player co-op was announced. I'll pre-order it now, but only the regular edition. That legendary edition is silly, imo.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I wasn't going to pre-order the game at all until the 4 player co-op was announced. I'll pre-order it now, but only the regular edition. That legendary edition is silly, imo.

Yeah, to each their own. Obviously they're going to sell way more of the two cheaper options. But, I don't think it's "silly." It's a really well done helmet. For uber-fans and people with tiny, rectangular heads, it's a great edition to their really creepy basement.

urk said:
Yeah, to each there own. Obviously their going to sell way more of the two cheaper options. But, I don't think it's "silly." It's a really well done helmet. For uber-fans and people with tiny, rectangular heads, it's a great edition to their really creepy basement.

It is of high quality, that is true. Basically all of my friends are getting it. I just haven't felt these special editions lately, im not getting bioshock special edition either for the same reasons.

wasting

Banned
ShinAmano said:
4Foot Chief sticker...waaaa?

yea they still have it too
Halo_rightmod_02.jpg

I think what I'm going to do is buy the legendary and then buy ce used at eb. Keep the cd and transfer the stickers and return the normal case and game to them, this way I get the tin artbook etc.

Spudbo

can i still reserve a copy online today? is it really true that they are no longer taking reservations on the legendary edition?

Doodis

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
All I know is that I'm sure as hell not going to another midnight release like I did for Halo 2. That was ridiculous. I was standing in line in the cold with literally thousands of people weaving in and around a parking garage at the mall until 3 in the morning. I got home, played for an hour and fell asleep. When I woke up later that day I found out that you could just walk into pretty much any store and pick up the limited edition. They made a ton of 'em. I felt like a class A, first rate jackass.

No more preorders! No more midnight release parties! And certainly no crazy helmet pack-in SKUs!

Ugh. Same thing happened to me. I stood in the cold for two hours before getting my copy of Halo 2, only to find the next morning that there were tons available at the store. I vowed never to do that again, as far as games are concerned (I did line up for the 360 on launch, but that was justified).

I do think I'll pre-order the CE at Circuit City for the wall sticker, though.

Top Bottom