• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Has Cost Microsoft More Money Than Any Title To Date

TaroYamada

Well it looks worth it, the game looks great. I'm a PC guy, but if I had a 360 I'd be on top of it. It's the first Halo that I have been interested in since Halo 2.

Lingitiz

I just hope MS allows that amazing team they put together to make more than just fucking Halo. I love Halo but I would love to see what else that team could do. Why would they stifle such potential creativity that could spurn new and amazing franchises besides Halo for them? Time will tell.

After this trilogy they'll have to at least change genres/do a sidestory right? The most obvious story to tell would probably be The Arbiter/Elites.

That's actually what excites me about this game. I feel that Bungie has been sorta phoning it in with the last few Halo installments.
As good as ODST was, it did have the feeling of "Let's mark one Halo game off our contract". A full fledged ODST game would be amazing.

But I agree, Bungie and Halo going separate ways is best for both.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's actually what excites me about this game. I feel that Bungie has been sorta phoning it in with the last few Halo installments.

Not to sound odd but every Halo has felt similar and this is not different. Let's not get too high on this. Halo is fun and great for what it is. Fans keep coming back like they keep coming back for CoD. That good ole game play.

I need to try this out for myself when I get more money. I'm back to having XBL so now I need games. Broker than a joke though ><

Man

I think many take for granted the backbone technology in Halo 3+ (again: Theater, Forge, Online everything, AI).
Those implementations are highly impressive and 343i got the source for all of this handed to them from Bungie.
On the shoulders of giants.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow. I don't know if everyone will appreciate what went into it though.

A lot of it is probably related to starting a new company for the game and developing new technology. This isnt like a GTA game where you can look at the 100 million on display. This will basically be a Halo game, hopefully polished with some nice features.

Yeah im also glad Bungie is gone from the picture. I ... really hated how they eviscerated Halo canon in Reach.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No surprise. The formed an entire studio for it and had to give them plenty of preproduction and practice time to make sure they could make a Halo game right. It certainly shows from what I've seen so far.

Loxley

Considering GTAIV's budget was rumored to be $100+ million and TOR cost EA a rumored $200 million (the fuck), this is actually relatively tame. Still, $90 million is a huge amount of money, but not too surprising since MS clearly wants 343i and Halo 4 to come out swinging.

Doesn't look like the money has gone to waste either, Halo 4 thus far looks fantastic.

KissVibes

Banned
I just hope MS allows that amazing team they put together to make more than just fucking Halo. I love Halo but I would love to see what else that team could do. Why would they stifle such potential creativity that could spurn new and amazing franchises besides Halo for them? Time will tell.

I'm sure members of 343 will be shifted around to work on various projects in-between Halo games. Microsoft has been on this weird hiring kick lately. Like they're trying to build a bunch of development teams to work on core (read: not kinect) titles for sometype of hardware launch or something. Not really sure :)

That plus their great working relationship with developers like Playground, Remedy, and Ruffian, I'm sure new and great franchises (and sequels) wont be hard to come by.

Remember everyone laughing when Bungie said Halo 3 production costs where $30 million.
Halo 3 is amazing for many reasons which includes technical feats (it's replay theater, forge, online connectivity is still largely unmatched outside of the franchise) but it wasn't the good looking game one would expect from the recent hardware jump.

Anyways, cost of other games out there:
Gran Turismo 5 - $60 million
God of War 3 - $40 million
Uncharted 2 - $30 million (I believe UC3 was $40m).

Do you have a source for those numbers?

Man

Do you have a source for those numbers?
They have been posted over and over in various GAF sales threads over the years with the direct link to the developers stating these numbers in interviews and such. I can't be bothered to google the source right now(@work) but cross my heart and all that it's da truf (I believe GOW3 for example had an even more precise number like $43-44m but can't remember exact).

element

Well people have been working on Halo 4 since the middle of 2008 and word around Seattle is the staff including contractors is somewhere around 400 for at least the last year or more. You do the math.

Well, 'wasted'. GT5 has done Halo level number of sales and it's an impressive game.

Depends on region. GT5 sells mostly in just Europe now. Halo 3 sold more in its first month in NPD than GT5 has in its lifetime in the same region on a userbase half the size. As your chart shows, Europe is holding up GT5 sales.

Manus

I'm not hyped for Halo 4. I'm just glad to have Mountain Dew Game Fuel back for a month or two. Best soda ever.

Vire

So what's everyone's sales predictions?

Halo 3 registered the highest total sales for the series with 12 million+.

It'll be interesting to see if this reaches the same level. For frame of reference, Reach sold around 8 million units.

Money well spent. But I'm still baffle on why MS release HALO4 now, then instead as a launch title for their newer console. That for me, would make a lot more sense.

Halo 3 registered the highest total sales for the series with 12 million+

It'll be interesting to see if this reaches the same level.

According to NPD in their first month on sale it was:

Halo 3 -- 3.3 million
ODST -- 1.5 million
Reach -- 3.3 million

Man

Money well spent. But I'm still baffle on why MS release HALO4 now, then instead as a launch title for their newer console. That for me, would make a lot more sense.
I would rebuy a 1080p HD edition next year without a second thought.

Apath

Depends on region. GT5 sells mostly in just Europe now. Halo 3 sold more in its first month in NPD than GT5 has in its lifetime in the same region on a userbase half the size. As your chart shows, Europe is holding up GT5 sales.
I don't see how that supports the "money wasted" argument.
dem cut-scenes tend to do that.
Seriously. Halo 4's cut scenes are actually at the caliber of Naughty Dog's work.

Halo 3 -- 3.3 million
ODST -- 1.5 million
Reach -- 3.3 million

So did Reach come close to Halo 3 numbers world wide ultimately? I would imagine Halo 4 surpasses Reach for sure. Mainline Halo, return of Master Chief, graphical leap, massive marketing push.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Halo 3 -- 3.3 million
ODST -- 1.5 million
Reach -- 3.3 million
Hmm, if those numbers are accurate, I predict 3.5 million for Halo 4's first month. I don't think it will ever see the attach rate that Halo 3 did, but there's so many damn 360s out there, I imagine it'll exceed Halo 3's sales. I think Halo 4 will sell really well in its second month, too. The revival of the Halo brand will rely on word of mouth, the effect of which we'll see in Month 2.

I have no idea if that's sound sales logic, but I'm callin' it anyways!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Halo 3 registered the highest total sales for the series with 12 million+.

It'll be interesting to see if this reaches the same level. For frame of reference, Reach sold around 8 million units.

It's really disappointing that Reach didn't sell more considering the difference in 360 install base from 2007 to 2010. I *hope* that Halo 4 outsells Halo 3. That would be wonderful. I'm hoping for around 3-4 million for first month NPD. MS should spill the beans considering it's their biggest first party game and it will no doubt be huge.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
"massive marketing campaign" at $30MM, pssht. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot. But MS has been soft spending this season... so has EA and Acti, compared to years past. They all most know the ROI isn't there this year, the market is just down. These titles will do gangbusters, but that's more momentum than marketing considering spending is down majorly across the board.

I don't see how that supports the "money wasted" argument.

GT5 is supposed to be a worldwide title. Halo was never meant to be a big seller in all three regions and the budget takes that into consideration. GT5 is budgeted as a worldwide selling title but bombed in Japan and did ok sales in the US for its size and budget. Thats why I said it depends on region.

Vire

It's really disappointing that Reach didn't sell more considering the difference in 360 install base from 2007 to 2010. I *hope* that Halo 4 outsells Halo 3. That would be wonderful. I'm hoping for around 3-4 million for first month NPD. MS should spill the beans considering it's their biggest first party game and it will no doubt be huge.

A number on the box tends to increase sales. Spinoffs are generally ignored by a large portion of the audience.

I'm not entirely convinced Halo 4 won't come in #3 behind BLOPS and Assassin's Creed 3 in November. Not because I think Halo 4 is going to it's do way less than 3/Reach, but the hype for Ass Creed has been really crazy. It's easily had the most aggressive marketing of a game this year, too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A number on the box tends to increase sales. Spinoffs are generally ignored by a large portion of the audience.

I actually wonder how much of a negative impact ODST had on Reach. Just in terms of consumer perception. Not saying it's justified but it's interesting.

edit: ^^^ Gotta disagree there. I think Halo 4 will outsell Assassin's Creed for sure. CoD is a whole other story. I can't recall any Assassin's Creed numbers but I would be shocked if they're near Halo 4s.

Hmm, if those numbers are accurate, I predict 3.5 million for Halo 4's first month. I don't think it will ever see the attach rate that Halo 3 did, but there's so many damn 360s out there, I imagine it'll exceed Halo 3's sales. I think Halo 4 will sell really well in its second month, too. The revival of the Halo brand will rely on word of mouth, the effect of which we'll see in Month 2.

I have no idea if that's sound sales logic, but I'm callin' it anyways!

They are accurate as what NPD reported for their launch month. The best attach rate was the first Gears of War selling 1 million in the first month to a userbase of 3 million units.

Halo 3 is what a lot of people bought their 360's for so there was a lot of pent up demand. By the time Reach came out, there was a ton of competiton of games that were just as good to play.

Considering we are two weeks away from launch, there are over 1 million preorders, and every website seems to be riding the hype train I think it is safe to say that the extreme cost, whatever it is, was well worth it.

rdrr gnr

I wish marketing budgets were discussed separately. Or at least, it was made clear in all aspects early on. Also, the game looks decent (graphically) but I'm not sure I understand some of the hype behind the visuals. I don't think it looks too impressive -- even for this late into this gen.

They are accurate as what NPD reported for their launch month. The best attach rate was the first Gears of War selling 1 million in the first month to a userbase of 3 million units.

Halo 3 is what a lot of people bought their 360's for so there was a lot of pent up demand. By the time Reach came out, there was a ton of competiton of games that were just as good to play.

I kinda wonder how much gamers care about Master Chief and if that impacted Reach's sales. I suspect they realize this is the next true mainline game.

Vire

I actually wonder how much of a negative impact ODST had on Reach. Just in terms of consumer perception. Not saying it's justified but it's interesting.

edit: ^^^ Gotta disagree there. I think Halo 4 will outsell Assassin's Creed for sure. CoD is a whole other story. I can't recall any Assassin's Creed numbers but I would be shocked if they're near Halo 4s.

Assassin's Creed 3 is apparently Ubisoft's "most pre-ordered title ever" and it's a multi-platform game. I think it'll be pretty close.

Top Bottom