• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Has Cost Microsoft More Money Than Any Title To Date

Anustart

Game looks great, but it's the Halo single player campaign's that turn me off. I'm not huge into multiplayer and thus a solid campaign is needed to interest me. I bought Halo 3 and man, the whole experience wasn't that great. Plus there was very few levels in total :/

If the reviews come in and state that issue has been addressed, consider me a purchaser.

I think the Nov. date was chosen more to buffer against the Wii U launch and ensure MS had something to gloat about the day Nintendo sent out its press release.

It was a strategy that worked well by releasing Gears 1 a week or so from the PS3 launch selling to 33% of the 360 userbase and stealing thunder but we'll see how this works with Halo 4 against the WiiU.

Game looks great, but it's the Halo single player campaign's that turn me off. I'm not huge into multiplayer and thus a solid campaign is needed to interest me. I bought Halo 3 and man, the whole experience wasn't that great. Plus there was very few levels in total :/

If the reviews come in and state that issue has been addressed, consider me a purchaser.

I'm just going to say it now. I've never found the Halo lore particularly interesting or actually substantially present in the games themselves. That said, I'm actually looking forward to Halo 4. That's probably because Reach was the first Halo MP experience I really enjoyed. At least you guys won't have to feign excitement when BLOPS 2 launches. Don't bitch about franchise fatigue. CoD is the ONLY game my IRL friends play. I seriously can't take it anymore. It's to the point that I actively don't want to turn my XBOX on on the weekends. I stayed away for six weeks recently. ACIII is the game I'll be playing that I actually enjoy this November. Blops 2 will just be the social hour thing until I can get Halo 4 this Christmas. I don't understand why my friends won't even try Halo. Literally this past weekend I just sat and drank thinking I'd rather be playing Dishonored or even TOR while we played CoD. It's that depressing. It's the SAME motherfucking game we've been playing since CoD4 with slight tweaks. Fuck.

abadguy

Banned
I get more hyped for a Halo release than i do any other game, the only game i attend midnight launches for. I am as excited for this game as i was for Halo 2 in 04 leading up to its launch.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

What's great is that after you play campaign, you have Spartan Ops to essentially extend the gameplay experience and continue a part of the story. There's an episode released each week and you can hop on with your friends in Co-Op and romp through the 5 missions. Much more appetizing to me than Firefight ever was.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Given all that the hype for this feels as low as any halo i can remember. Taking a personal look at this my friends list who all played halos and we all pretty much met through halo dont even play halo anymore and only a few are getting halo 4. I know its a personal experince but its a feeling i have heard mirrored by a few people. It will still sell like gangbusters just something feels off.

I don't blame your friends, but H4 is looking to at least be better than Reach in MP, so perhaps a few months down the road WOM will get to them.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Most likely because the cost of creating an entire studio from scratch had to go with it.

343 itself and Halo 4 started at the same time.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Most likely because the cost of creating an entire studio from scratch had to go with it.

343 itself and Halo 4 started at the same time.

Its a huge investment. I'm hyped to see what it translates into next gen.

Also, I want an ODST2 game. Fuck the haters. It was my favourite Halo game this gen.

Is Halo 4 even doing anything different than previous Halo games, or is it just another Halo with prettier graphics?

they're ruining a lot of the core gameplay mechanics that made the multiplayer so strong in the previous titles, so that MS can nickle and dime you on microtransactions. But other then that, not really.

They spared no expense!

Well, other than Forge improvements, campaign theater, campaign scoring, ranked MM, assault, 1-flag, flag dropping, good commercials/marketing, etc..

Salty-joking aside, the game seriously shows that they put a lot of time and money into this game. Its lining up to be the game I really wanted out of Halo 3 and honestly looks stellar. 343 has pulled off an amazing feat, and I cannot wait to play it.

Kiryu

If Microsoft lost the $$$ because of bad sales of Halo 4.

Microsoft have nothing to lose for since... They have plenty of $$$ in the bank.

pswii60

Visually at least. Now i'd like to see gameplay that actually justifies that cost.

I know you're being very clever. But it's no different to expecting a "story that actually justifies that cost" when talking about expensive movies. The reality is that the two never go hand in hand.

well for me, it doesn't feel like halo. it feels like cod in space.

Im not seeing it. Yes, they have made some changes, and certainly have taken some inspiration from the success and format of CoD, but this game is clearly Halo. It looks like Halo and seems to play like Halo. It certainly isn't a shooter with ADS, near insta-kill times, kill-streak rewards like dogs or helicopters, etc. The core game in Halo 4 is clearly a Halo game. But it has evolved, and thats a good thing.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
well for me, it doesn't feel like halo. it feels like cod in space.

Yeah, I mean, look at all the perks in Halo 4 that remove you from the radar, put you into Last Stand, triple the amount of explosives you get, and let you spawn with Rockets at all times.

Not to mention all the Phantoms and Pelicans you can call in after five kills to give you ten more free kills.

Im not seeing it. Yes, they have made some changes, and certainly have taken some inspiration from the success and format of CoD, but this game is clearly Halo. It looks like Halo and seems to play like Halo. It certainly isn't a shooter with ADS, near insta-kill times, kill-streak rewards like dogs or helicopters, etc. The core game in Halo 4 is clearly a Halo game. But it has evolved, and thats a good thing.

they've made a more linear game experience, they've added kill streaks in the form of ordinance drops, they have perks in the form of armor abilities, and they have load outs. The game is going to be a mess 3 weeks in with a bunch of this is op, that's op, nerf this, nerf that. It's garbage game design, the fact microsoft and 343 are embracing it, is what scares me.

I doubt it because it's not what I want from an arena shooter, which is what halo was designed as. You can't change the forumla and expect the core mechanics to stay the same.

Yeah, I mean, look at all the perks in Halo 4 that remove you from the radar, put you into Last Stand, triple the amount of explosives you get, and let you spawn with Rockets at all times.

Not to mention all the Phantoms and Pelicans you can call in after five kills to give you ten more free kills.

hrhuehuehueheuheuehuehue

really. The outcry from a 100 millisecond change on the sniper was a travesty when they designed halo 3. Now it's fine to completely break the core mechanics of the game? talk about not understanding your own argument.

abadguy

Banned
they're ruining a lot of the core gameplay mechanics that made the multiplayer so strong in the previous titles, so that MS can nickle and dime you on microtransactions. But other then that, not really.

Really? Because the MP gameplay looks like what i've come to expect from Halo MP and much better than Reach. In fact looks like 3 with sprint.

JimFear

Banned
ok i want to be clear, im not trolling by saying that but...

When microsoft say halo 4 is the title who has cost microsoft more money than any title to date...

Lets be honnest, its not like they have a shit load of exclusive title...

i highly doubt they want to put a huge ton of money on title like Fable or Forza when they know that they will have HALO 4 who will come out this year and people will go crazy for this.

Really? Because the MP gameplay looks like what i've come to expect from Halo MP and much better than Reach. In fact looks like 3 with sprint.

case and point, sprint was never designed for the halo sandbox, and it's what fucked halo reach, well one of many reasons why it got fucked. All the changes to movement in halo reach is what soured the experience from halo 3. Oh look, I'm going to take a consistent skill based combat system and start giving players broken mechanics that fuck with that consistency.

they've made a more linear game experience, they've added kill streaks in the form of ordinance drops, they have perks in the form of armor abilities, and they have load outs. The game is going to be a mess 3 weeks in with a bunch of this is op, that's op, nerf this, nerf that. It's garbage game design, the fact microsoft and 343 are embracing it, is what scares me.

I doubt it because it's not what I want from an arena shooter, which is what halo was designed as. You can't change the forumla and expect the core mechanics to stay the same.

Im really not seeing the more linear game experience at all from the SP footage I have seen.

There is no denying that they too a look at lot of the CoD features and adapted them for Halo, but the fact is they didn't make it a CoD clone. Armor Mods are subtle and don't give advantages in health or damage, etc. Ordinance is based on points not kills, is not customizable and simple gives you the choice between standard sandbox items. (which balances out less map based weapon spawns). I don't know where you are getting that everything will need to be nerfed; maybe they will maybe they wont, but we don't know yet.

I do get your apprehension, but I think you need to take a step back and wait and see. I hope you're wrong, and Im sure you hope you're wrong. People who have played the game say it plays like Halo, and is a blast. Wait and see before you condemn it.

Also, the core mechanics in Halo 4 look fine. I get the want for a bare-bones, classic experience represented, but it blows my mind how many people want to just play the exact same game over and over with a fresh coat of paint.

GavinGT

Banned
case and point, sprint was never designed for the halo sandbox, and it's what fucked halo reach, well one of many reasons why it got fucked. All the changes to movement in halo reach is what soured the experience from halo 3. Oh look, I'm going to take a consistent skill based combat system and start giving players broken mechanics that fuck with that consistency.

Except that it has been designed for the Halo sandbox twice now. Just because it wasn't there in the first game doesn't mean it shouldn't be there at all.

abadguy

Banned
ok i want to be clear, im not trolling by saying that but...

When microsoft say halo 4 is the title who has cost microsoft more money than any title to date...

Lets be honnest, its not like they have a shit load of exclusive title...

i highly doubt they want to put a huge ton of money on title like Fable or Forza when they know that they will have HALO 4 who will come out this year and people will go crazy for this.

Going from launch to this point they have had a shit load of exclusives, and this is clearly the most expensive one. Sounds about right to me.

TheOddOne

What? Sprint was a good implementation in Reach. The problem was that everything outside of it was broken as hell.

abadguy

Banned

Yeah Reach had many issues , sprint wasn't one of them.

luffeN

It would be cooler to read something along the lines of "we spent half the money compared to Halo 3 and it still came out superior" or whatever.

Yeah Reach had many issues , sprint wasn't one of them.

oh it was, the entire concept of fumbling around with changing movement on the fly killed off that inherent balance that previous halo MP had. It was no longer a consistent battle field where placing shots or timing or strategy was key, it became about who had the right armor ability. In 1/2/3 you could line up a headshot for when the player fell, in reach the player suddenly start to fly up with a jet pack, roll to the side, become invulnerable, sprint away. It was no longer about the player and the weapons, because they could not longer be consistently used.

Small changes have big differences.

http://downloads.bungie.net/presentations/Griesemer_Jaime_DesignInDetail_Sniper.pdf

balance ensure longevity, not constantly cycling between a botm. That's garbage design, and easy design, it's what killed halo reach for many people who came from a pc gaming background.

What depresses me is that this is the direction of gaming. It's killed tf2, it killed halo reach, and now I really can't be bothered with playing many fps games online any more because it seems developers don't want good games, they want games where they can sell you stuff. They want to keep the game unbalanced so you spend as much time playing the game, or purchasing the credits, to buy the in game object, only to change it again in a month or week so you'll pay all over again, if not with real money then with time.

Honestly, i just miss having a badge and rank and that was the determining factor of how good you were, not which unlocks you bought, which armor abilities. When a rank of 40 was something to be proud of because everyone entered the map with the same toolset and it was only the players skill that determined the outcome, not some garbage upgrades or over powered build.

TheOddOne

It would be cooler to read something along the lines of "we spent half the money compared to Halo 3 and it still came out superior" or whatever.
"We made a whole new studio with talented people from all around the industry, also we announced a whole trilogy".

GavinGT

Banned

There's no way in hell assembling an all-star studio from the ground up is going to be cheaper. It also doesn't matter to us players how much Microsoft spent on it.

Remember everyone laughing when Bungie said Halo 3 production costs where $30 million.
Halo 3 is amazing for many reasons which includes technical feats (it's replay theater, forge, online connectivity is still largely unmatched outside of the franchise) but it wasn't the good looking game one would expect from the recent hardware jump.

Anyways, cost of other games out there:
Gran Turismo 5 - $60 million
God of War 3 - $40 million
Uncharted 2 - $30 million (I believe UC3 was $40m).

The Uncharted games have a 20m budget

The budget for the first game was said to be around $20 million dollars, and that had to include that engine creation from scratch, which is a big thing. Since you are using the same engine, has this been a cheaper endeavor? Are you guys spending the same amount?

We are spending the same amount. You always want to be able to just do more. Definitely it is a leg up to start with that technological foundation, but what you try to do with it is just that much more.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/04/joystiq-interview-talking-uncharted-2-with-naughty-dogs-evan-w/

Redford

aka Cabbie

Sprint is better now that shots slow sprinters virtually to walking speed. Fuck, that is almost the single best thing they've tweaked for me.

El_Chino

hrhuehuehueheuheuehuehue

really. The outcry from a 100 millisecond change on the sniper was a travesty when they designed halo 3. Now it's fine to completely break the core mechanics of the game? talk about not understanding your own argument.

Reach had those things.

tuseday

Neo Member
oh it was, the entire concept of fumbling around with changing movement on the fly killed off that inherent balance that previous halo MP had. It was no longer a consistent battle field where placing shots or timing or strategy was key, it became about who had the right armor ability. In 1/2/3 you could line up a headshot for when the player fell, in reach the player suddenly start to fly up with a jet pack, roll to the side, become invulnerable, sprint away. It was no longer about the player and the weapons, because they could not longer be consistently used.

Small changes have big differences.

http://downloads.bungie.net/presentations/Griesemer_Jaime_DesignInDetail_Sniper.pdf

balance ensure longevity, not constantly cycling between a botm. That's garbage design, and easy design, it's what killed halo reach for many people who came from a pc gaming background.

What depresses me is that this is the direction of gaming. It's killed tf2, it killed halo reach, and now I really can't be bothered with playing many fps games online any more because it seems developers don't want good games, they want games where they can sell you stuff. They want to keep the game unbalanced so you spend as much time playing the game, or purchasing the credits, to buy the in game object, only to change it again in a month or week so you'll pay all over again, if not with real money then with time.

Honestly, i just miss having a badge and rank and that was the determining factor of how good you were, not which unlocks you bought, which armor abilities. When a rank of 40 was something to be proud of because everyone entered the map with the same toolset and it was only the players skill that determined the outcome, not some garbage upgrades or over powered build.

I have been quite with all this halo 4 talk, but you said how I feel about it. Thanks for the pdf.

LTWheels

Really looking forward to Spartan Ops. Most companies would be making you pay for that kind of DLC content. Being weekly as well for about 10 weeks. Outrageous amount.

fritolay

Game development costing as much as blockbuster films.

The rate of return from top games is more than top games correct? If so that makes sense that this will increase. People will spend more to get the top dollar and profit margins still pay off. Higher risk.

Then there is minecraft.

isual

Really looking forward to Spartan Ops. Most companies would be making you pay for that kind of DLC content. Being weekly as well for about 10 weeks. Outrageous amount.

spartan ops is just the new mode any new game iteration has to show forth in order to sell a new game.

G-Fex

Most expensive and prestigious video game ever made.

Make sure people don't stream or record footage online.

Top Bottom