• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - mandatory 8GB install for MP

an 8gb usb drive is only a couple of snickers bar. considering alot of xnoobs pay about 50 snickers per year in xbl gold membership, this should not be a problem.

TUROK

Judging by this thread, flash drives are extremely valuable commodities in some parts of the world. "8 gig flash drive?! Better take out a second mortgage on my house!"

No, they shouldn't. It's been already said that 8GBs will be enough for everything.

Its the minimum required meaning, it can still go over that eventually.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/03/halo-4-requires-at-least-8gb-flash-drive-hard-drive-recommen/

Update: Microsoft has responded to our queries, noting that "Halo 4 will offer an optimal experience if played using a hard drive, but will deliver a visually impressive and immersive gameplay experience whether you use a hard drive or a flash storage device." Furthermore, as to which multiplayer modes require storage: All of them. Specifically, "the multiplayer modes the storage requirement applies to encompass all Xbox Live-enabled modes."

From what i understand, the 8 gig minimum is required "space" if you're playing online Halo Multiplayer. Everything else isn't included in that. Meaning, even if you install the game, it'll still need that minimum extra 8gigs just for MP alone. Unless they include Spartan Ops as "multiplayer".

But 8 gigs does seem like a lot just for space required for a game with 10 MP maps. It needs clearing up thats for sure. Gaming press FTW.

It's already been cleared up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39479427&postcount=18915

Stinkles said:
8 is enough.

No, they shouldn't. It's been already said that 8GBs will be enough for everything.

I know that, I think you misunderstood me. The Spartan Ops episodic campaign is ten weeks of downloads, so people were going to need to sort out space for Halo 4 anyway (unless they were planning on ignoring Spartan Ops or didn't know about it).

Read your own thread, even the first ten replies. You will find that most of the people there believe that it wasn't good for development. You were just going in circles with your point, which is the same you've making here, at the same time ignoring those made by other posters. Sure, having no HDD has not meant that the games on the 360 have been automatically crap. It just means that, technically, they could have been better.

I did read it of course. Just like you, posters said it has hurt games but cannot show how. Just like you are doing right now. No one can say how every game would be "better". Every one who said it hurt gave vauge responses just like you are doing. Sure games could be a little better but it hasn't hurt games outside of a few exceptions.

DR2K

Banned
That's all fine and dandy for some, but it sucks for people buying the cheapest Xbox on the market specifically for Halo 4.

I still have the 2007 Xbox and there's 5gb left. Can't delete anything.

How am I gonna play? -__-
Buy an extremely cheap USB drive?

an 8gb usb drive is only a couple of snickers bar. considering alot of xnoobs pay about 50 snickers per year in xbl gold membership, this should not be a problem.
I like how Snickers bars have become the financial standard of comparison here, :lol

around 140gb in my 259gb slim, have a lot of arcade games, installed games and a couple GoD

i see this news as a plus, means that the SP is taking up almost the full disc by itself, 343i appears to be doing amazing work

lawful

Banned
The official Xbox 360 Flash Drive made by Microsoft is only available in 8 gigabytes if I recall correctly.

So when they say you need an 8 gig flash drive, they mean to plug their official product. You just need a spot to have a game save be it hard drive or flash drive.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty wary of corporations nickel and diming consumers, but this really doesn't feel like one of those instances. Just seems technically infeasible. And this isn't just the Halo fanboy in me speaking.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely both. We have been clear on this since day one. Spartan Ops in particular will be delivering content to your Xbox via Live.

Let me be 100% clear, this is not an attempt to get you to upgrade to an HDD. The numbers affected are quite small and we went to significant effort to ensure this worked on a (relatively) cheap 8 Gig USB stick (and to the point in the post above, ANY stick that meets the speed and reliability minimums, absolutely NOT just MS branded media) for the odd case where someone had XBL and no storage. This is entirely in service of a good experience in the game.
I felt like this should be quoted again.

ElRenoRaven

Hopefully Microsoft stops using proprietary hdds next gen. That is some monopolistic bullshit.

Don't count on it. They'll continue to out of pure greed. That's one big thing I give Sony this gen. They made it simple as hell to upgrade the PS3's HDD and all without having to buy a Playstation branded HDD.

EagleBurn

Banned
Don't count on it. They'll continue to out of pure greed. That's one big thing I give Sony this gen. They made it simple as hell to upgrade the PS3's HDD and all without having to buy a Playstation branded HDD.

What about updgrading games? The 360 in every way is better for upgrades. Doesn't that count as well?

And I'm not trying to start a PS3/360 debate, but your point can go both ways.

Lunchbox

Banned
only? take 80 bro, take my entire 250

take everything, im ready to delete that Reach shit and give you everything 343

Looking at the Vita and the mandatory Sony only memory cards, it looks like the PS3 was the exception... not the rule when looking back at PS1 and PS2. Anything could happen next gen with HDD space so we'll see. I'm interested to see how the companies approach it.

ElRenoRaven

Looking at the Vita and the mandatory Sony only memory cards, it looks like the PS3 was the exception... not the rule when looking back at PS1 and PS2. Anything could happen next gen with HDD space so we'll see. I'm interested to see how the companies approach it.

Well I can't comment on the Vita because honestly I never had a real interest in it post first announcement. They never showed me really anything I wanted. Hence I didn't keep up with that. So they went with Sony only memory cards for Vita? If so then yea that's just as stupid as MS going with their Xbox branded HDDs.

What about updgrading games? The 360 in every way is better for upgrades. Doesn't that count as well?

And I'm not trying to start a PS3/360 debate, but your point can go both ways.

Um What? What does upgrading games have to do with HDDs?

Top Bottom