• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

Reiko

Banned
Capture-3.png

linearbiovpp04.jpg

spootime

Oh god, what world is this where these people want Halo to turn into COD lol

Apparently Eurogamer knocked it for not having iron sights too? I see why people who only play console shooters rely on them but iron sights are the worst thing to ever happen to the shooter genre.

The funny thing about these review threads is that I doubt anyone here would use the reviews they are complaining about to decide on a purchase, which is really the whole point of reviews. Even the reviews people complain can be used, the guy says the game plays unlike CoD, at least he explains it for you and you can decide for yourself if that is a pro or con.

Margalis

Banned
What are the ADVANTAGES of sitting in a corridor, waiting for the enemy to do a scripted head pop up so I can tap my right trigger on his head?

Millions of people like that style of game so clearly they see some advantage to it.

Personally I don't see it, but then again I don't see the advantage of the "platforming" and "puzzles" in a game like Uncharted either. Like...why not have real platforming and puzzles instead?

A lot of people love linear scripted corridor shooters. Your guess is as good as mine as to why, but they do.

Apparently Eurogamer knocked it for not having iron sights too? I see why people who only play console shooters rely on them but iron sights are the worst thing to ever happen to the shooter genre.

So true but why would you have iron sights when your character has a built in HUD?

Apath

It's fine that he dislikes Halo, and his criticisms are valid to an extent. However it's amazing how his views are pretty much the opposite of what makes Halo, Halo. And even worse is that what he's saying would make Halo just another run-of-the-mill garbage clone of Call of Duty. Except in space with aliens and bright colors.

If Halo ever gets iron sights that is the day I know the franchise is dead. I can't wait for the CoD bubble to bust so we can finally stop having people believe that CoD is the pinnacle of game design.

If Halo ever gets iron sights that is the day I know the franchise is dead. I can't wait for the CoD bubble to bust so we can finally stop having people believe that CoD is the pinnacle of game design.

The EGM guy got his wish when it came to Resident Evil 6 though. RE became more CoD-like and he bestowed a 9.5 upon it. The rest of the industry bestowed an average score of 65 upon it. Maybe he's hoping if he whines enough Frank will give in and convert Halo into CoD. All for the love of EGM. What's truly sad is that there's an editor at EGM that conceivably had to approve that section of the review.

abadguy

Banned
The day Halo becomes an overly scripted corridor shooter with iron sites is the day i stop being a Halo fan. I could never see playing sp more than once if it were like that.

Mairu

The EGM guy got his wish when it came to Resident Evil 6 though. RE became more CoD-like and he bestowed a 9.5 upon it. The rest of the industry bestowed an average score of 65 upon it. Maybe he's hoping if he whines enough Frank will give in and convert Halo into CoD. All for the love of EGM.

If only every game was more like Call of Duty!

This "EGM" is no EGM :[

KageMaru

A lot of people love linear scripted corridor shooters. Your guess is as good as mine as to why, but they do.

Linear scripted corridor games in general are the gaming equivalent to a summer action pop corn flick. Almost instant gratification through over the top set pieces and scenarios with little thought and effort involved. This also applies for the MP where it's far easier to earn a kill in CoD than in Halo. Perfect recipe for the masses at large.

Slippery slope aside, I still stand by saying Halo should add a ADS specific weapon to appease that crowd. 5-shot burst BR-like weapon with reflex sights would be interesting in the Halo sandbox, and as long as it was balanced against the other starting weapons it would be fine. Hell, add a pistol with the mechanic also.

I want to quote specific scenarios from the campaign to prove a point so bad right now, but I don't want anyone else to get spoiled. So I guess I'll just sit on it.

Well, maybe you could just be incredibly vague and use spoiler tags.. Are you talking about instances where things get a little too bland or drawn out?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Slippery slope aside, I still stand by saying Halo should add a ADS specific weapon to appease that crowd. 5-shot burst BR-like weapon with reflex sights would be interesting in the Halo sandbox, and as long as it was balanced against the other starting weapons it would be fine. Hell, add a pistol with the mechanic also.

Well, maybe you could just be incredibly vague and use spoiler tags.. Are you talking about instances where things get a little too bland or drawn out?

There are lore reasons for not having ADS that were established at the birth of the franchise. It's not going to happen.

Gray Man

Banned
When I stopped reading the EGM review.

These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments.

This man is a freaking moron.

So true but why would you have iron sights when your character has a built in HUD?

Seriously, you are technically always in a state of ADS because of your character's highly concentrated reticule. Not to mention the type of people who love ADS in Call of Duty games often use it far too much for no apparent reason. In recent Modern war games, lets take COD 4 as an example, When in CQB (Close Quarters Combat) an advantage of a non-ADS tactic adds both a speed boost and a 298 - 120 ms worth of extra reaction time. The left trigger only then activates a laser like precision that was already activated in Halo. Not to mention that there are scoped guns in Halo 4 as well. The kind that, when aimed down sights, increases the accuracy rating on your current gun's stats by a fractional margin.

george_us

Millions of people like that style of game so clearly they see some advantage to it.

Personally I don't see it, but then again I don't see the advantage of the "platforming" and "puzzles" in a game like Uncharted either. Like...why not have real platforming and puzzles instead?

There's nothing wrong with scripted shooters. I personally love them and I've enjoyed the shit out of every Modern Warefare game and I greatly enjoyed Black Ops. My thing is that not every fucking game on the market needs to be a scripted shooter. Variety isn't a bad thing and not every game needs to sell 20 million copies.

For an industry that prides itself on creativity, developers sure love to follow trends.

FStop7

Banned
I don't "get" corridor shooters. The TV station in COD:MW and the Favela in MW2 are my personal examples of what I can't stand about these games. On the other hand I enjoyed MW and MW2's multiplayer in spite of the gangs of mouthbreathers on XBL.

Halo games I tend to like both the campaigns as well as multiplayer.

To be contrary to Mr. 5/10's opinion of empty and random, I found certain scenarios liberating and interestingly well managed. Its kind of a "Whoa, so I'm not confined to this... ooh whats that... can I do this? Yes" kind of feel.

Gray Man

Banned

Shaking_head.gif

you need an exorcist to get all of that COD out of you.

There's nothing wrong with scripted shooters. I personally love them and I've enjoyed the shit out of every Modern Warefare game and I greatly enjoyed Black Ops. My thing is that not every fucking game on the market needs to be a scripted shooter. Variety isn't a bad thing and not every game needs to sell 20 million copies.

For an industry that prides itself on creativity, developers sure love to follow trends.

I love them as well. Scripting is done so well in Call of Duty games only to be marred by uninteresting character to character combat.

The reviewer disagrees with you, which is why it's hilarious that he's the one the geniuses at EGM chose to review Halo. The guy that thinks Halo should be CoD. Remember when EGM wasn't a steaming pile of poo? I do. Memories.

I don't "get" corridor shooters. The TV station in COD:MW and the Favela in MW2 are my personal examples of what I can't stand about these games. On the other hand I enjoyed MW and MW2's multiplayer in spite of the gangs of mouthbreathers on XBL.

Halo games I tend to like both the campaigns as well as multiplayer.

I like CoD's single player campaign. Once. I rent the game from Redbox, beat it in about 5 hours,and then return it. The online multiplayer is complete garbage to me, which is what makes renting it a better option than buying. The entirely scripted nature of the single player means I never have a need to ever play it again. To say Halo should move in that direction is just utter stupidity.

Cake Boss

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I just noticed the Facebook post is by the editor of EGM? I thought it was someones random dudbro friend on Facebook. WOW WOW simply amazing, just end this fucking generation already.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I just noticed the Facebook post is by the editor of EGM? I thought it was someones random dudbro friend on Facebook. WOW WOW simply amazing, just end this fucking generation already.

Has he replied to any of the criticisms here so far ? he did make that post a few pages back ..

Cartman86

Banned
1gQOX.jpg

What a load of bullshit. There's nothing wrong with disliking Halo or giving it a bad score as long as you can justify it with valid faults, but this is just complete ignorant bullshit.

While I think his opinion is probably going to be the exact opposite of mine I don't see how he's "wrong" or ignorant. He wants Halo to be Call of Duty now. Is there anything wrong with that objectively? I don't want that, but he can certainly hold that opinion in a review. I'll read his thoughs, understand the context, and go "hmm maybe I will like this game more than him."

web01

You people are crazy, some guy points out legit criticism and you all grab the pitchforks and cry because he didn't give a the reviews score you believe it deserves.

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation and do everything to try and invalidate someone else's opinions.

The people that jump on the bandwagon are sad too, all you you do is post one word replies instead of pointing out why you think he is wrong.

Monocle

While I think his opinion is probably going to be the exact opposite of mine I don't see how he's "wrong" or ignorant. He wants Halo to be Call of Duty now. Is there anything wrong with that objectively? I don't want that, but he can certainly hold that opinion in a review. I'll read his thoughs, understand the context, and go "hmm maybe I will like this game more than him."
If he wants COD he can play COD. Halo does its own thing and it does it well. Variety is good.

You people are crazy, some guy points out legit criticism and you all grab the pitchforks and cry because he didn't give a the reviews score you believe it deserves.

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation and do everything to try and invalidate someone else's opinions.

The people that jump on the bandwagon are sad too, all you you do is post one word replies instead of pointing out why you think he is wrong.
wat

None of this makes any sense at all.

watership

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation.

Most people are laughing at him. It's less nasty than your implying.

Bgamer90

Banned

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation.

Who is complaining about the score?

Seems that everyone here is focusing on what was actually said in the review.

Emwitus

It seems everyone assumes complaints in regards to an open environment only relate to a person wanting a game to be like COD. That is not my point. This illusion of choice you have when multiple enemies are thrown at you on an open environment and the only options you have are the order in which you kill them and what you kill them with isn't exactly expanding on gameplay. I should add that i still find halo's form of gameplay far better for an FPs but imo it would be better to expand on the player's interaction with the open environment rather than the number of enemies on screen(virtual obstacles).

Orayn

I don't care about the numbers. I'm just taken aback by how wildly off-base his specific criticisms are.

Spinluck

The score isn't what matters - it's the content and context of the review itself which draws deserved criticism.

My mistake.

People aren't whining about low scores. People are whining about high scores, and there's recently been criticism of a review that claimed Halo's biggest fault is that it's not CoD enough. It's about the content not the score. You'd have known that if you actually paid attention.

My bad, but god forbid anyone get tired of the Halo formula and suggest some changes. CoD wasn't the best example to use, but it's not uncommon for journalist to do this. Surely Halo fans should've at least expected this to happen. There's always "that one review", that throws people off the edge.

Top Bottom