• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

S1kkZ

Time to bring back Arby.

this! bring him back as the leader of the covenant, make them join forces with humanity against the religious splinter group we fight in halo 4. they should get upgrades from the prometheans/forerunners in halo 5. that way, we can still have elites/grunts/jackals as enemies but give them a brand new look and abilities thanks to the forerunner tech.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Time to bring back Arby.
I think it's inevitable really, I just can't imagine what role he'd fill in the story after being debriefed by the Chief. Canonically, wtf is he even doing right now?

Or they could kill 2 birds with one stone and make him your new AI. WORT WORT WORT.

Chief will be all broken and hopeless and about to die, then as some Didact-like duder stands over Chief, ready to crush him, Chief sees PAST him - in the sky, it's Arby and Shipmaster sky-surfing down on energy swords to Nickelback.

Petrichor

The only way I can take it seriously is to mean that the Librarian seeded the ideas in humanity that would lead to using Forerunner innovations like specific lines of physical evolution (augmentations), combat skin (mjolnir armor), and ancillas (Cortana, or any paired AI), and not just The Master Chief in particular and Cortana in particular and Space Jesus and puppies and Unicorns.

Looked at it that way, the Librarian was just giving humanity hidden Forerunner tech cheat codes, that humans stumbled and fumbled their way into, thinking they did it on their own. So it could be anyone, it just so happened that the Chief was the first, and one of the few that underwent the most radical and experimental treatments.

Remember that spartan II's were selected after a genetic screening process - so to me it doesn't seem ridiculous that the librarian could have planted genes in human ancestors that would eventually end up in all of the spartans, knowing what would be necessary and what the UNSC would be likely to look for in candidates.

This makes it slightly less ridiculous.

Fuchsdh

thats how its meant. librarian planted the "seeds" so humanity would evolve faster (in terms of technology) and could take over "the mantle" and be ready, if the flood ever returns.

Yeah. Except the dialogue was simply so poorly written that it sounded like "herp derp 100,000 years ago I decided to make a Master Chief and Cortana combo pack!"

Keep in mind 343 was initially going with chess motifs right down to the enemy names, such as Promethean Knight. All Chief has to do is get a pawn to the end of the other side to revive his Queen.

S1kkZ

Yeah. Except the dialogue was simply so poorly written that it sounded like "herp derp 100,000 years ago I decided to make a Master Chief and Cortana combo pack!"

thats what i meant. but you can bet your ass that this was intentional, so even the most stupid player gets it. 343 (like bungie) really seems to think most halo players are unable to understand storytelling that goes beyond "you are the one, kill the bad guy and save humanity".

Remember that spartan II's were selected after a genetic screening process - so to me it doesn't seem ridiculous that the librarian could have planted genes in human ancestors that would eventually end up in all of the spartans, knowing what would be necessary and what the UNSC would be likely to look for in candidates.

This makes it slightly less ridiculous.
Yep. Subconscious morphogenetic fields. Enough of a seed to lead to certain discoveries down the line as humanity's understanding grew. Discoveries that were fast-tracked in the Spartan Program but that still didn't reach the point needed to take on what the Didact was cookin', so the Librarian needed to push the chief a bit further.

Sheeeeeeeit. If the Librarian's manipulating so much of this and deciding destiny maybe she managed to pull him and that third of a Supercarrier somewhere safe enough to keep him alive.
All I keep picturing is some kind of Time Bandits/Baron Münchhausen inside-the-belly-of-a-sea-monster scenario where Jorge and the Didact and Elites all sit at tables with their long beards playing card games and drinking.

Its probably what John was dreaming about when he was in cryo.

Why yes, work is slow right now. Why do you ask?

hardlight.
nanites

Sheeeeeeeit. If the Librarian's manipulating so much of this and deciding destiny maybe she managed to pull him and that third of a Supercarrier somewhere safe enough to keep him alive.
Who's the person or entity responsible for the coordinates to the Arks portal destination? Do we honestly think it was all just a coincidence? Floating in deep unknown space and Cortana's response is questioning herself and Chief as if she knew nothing of a Forerunner planet that took nearly 5 years to reach. It could've been Mendicant Bias but we really don't know for sure. Lets not forget Cortana was responsible of the socalled random jump to Installation 04.

they should have left the librarian out of halo 4, because there is now way to explain her character/motives/powers to the general player in a short timeframe.

i can fully understand everyone that hates her scene in the game. the "everything was planned and led up to you!" thing is fucking awful.

people, watch the trucking terminals. it condenses the first Forerunner book and the second, into like 10 minutes of pretty animated comic-style video.

people, watch the trucking terminals. it condenses the first Forerunner book and the second, into like 10 minutes of pretty animated comic-style video.
They should consider them patching them back into the game somehow. Even if in the campaign menu in a similar way to how you can watch episodes of Spartan Ops from that menu.

Of course, a seamless experience in-game would have been best.

S1kkZ

i did, and i also read cryptum. but it shouldnt be necessary to understand the basic story.
and the fact that you can condense the two forerunner novels into 15 minutes of video, without losing much of important stuff, is very telling.

Flipyap

Doesn't it all come down to the same thing when the Master Chief was the only uncaged augmented human who also happened to get paired with an AI a few short months before he happened to hitch a ride on a breaking portal (right after saving the galaxy/universe the second time) that lead him straight into the space ball where the Librarian would upgrade him even further?
Or does this still count as Luck™?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
replaying the librarian scene, anyone else feel like the forerunner bit about using the composer to bridge the gap between digital and biotic life will play a role with cortana solving her rampancy? i've seen speculation about cortana becoming a real-life girl! one day, but it actually seems to be the direction the story will take and sounds embarrassingly lame. please dont do this.

Doesn't it all come down to the same thing when the Master Chief was the only uncaged augmented human who also happened to get paired with an AI a few short months before he happened to hitch a ride on a breaking portal (right after saving the galaxy/universe the second time) that lead him straight into the space ball where the Librarian would upgrade him even further?
Or does this still count as Luck™?
I think it comes down to being the first human who was able to overcome Requiem's defenses and reach Didact's Cryptum, and activate it. That could have taken place hundreds or thousands of years later, or never.

i did, and i also read cryptum. but it shouldnt be necessary to understand the basic story.
and the fact that you can condense the two forerunner novels into 15 minutes of video, without losing much of important stuff, is very telling.

you lose tons of important context, just the bare essentials are in the terminals, lots of other backstory and details aren't explained.

But you guys are right, segmenting the terminals from the game was probably a bad a idea because it confuses everyone who cares about the halo story but hasn't gotten into reading the books. all dude-bro's and owners of the books need not worry though... jaja

Fuchsdh

Yeah, so I finally finished the game. I guess they had good ideas, but they simply botched them to hell and back. The whole presentation of force ghost Cortana was so bizarre that it took me a while to figure out what had actually happened--maybe if they had shown her throw up some hard light before the cliched "no explosion just fade to white" end to the QTE...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
replaying the librarian scene, anyone else feel like the forerunner bit about using the composer to bridge the gap between digital and biotic life will play a role with cortana solving her rampancy? i've seen speculation about cortana becoming a real-life girl! one day, but it actually seems to be the direction the story will take and sounds embarrassingly lame. please dont do this.
They should go this route:

Bv7in.jpg

Fuchsdh

I wonder if we will ever see Jun? I guess if Halsey is alive then Jun made it out of Reach aswell.

Not without rewriting First Strike substantially. The only people who ultimately make it off Reach (and Halo, for that matter) are the Chief, a few members of Blue Team, Halsey, and Johnson. Jun didn't get a ride with them, so he's either chilling somewhere in the husk of Reach with Soren talking about the good ole' days, or he's <s>dead</s> MIA.

daedalius

The only way I can take it seriously is to mean that the Librarian seeded the ideas in humanity that would lead to using Forerunner innovations like specific lines of physical evolution (augmentations), combat skin (mjolnir armor), and ancillas (Cortana, or any paired AI), and not just The Master Chief in particular and Cortana in particular and Space Jesus and puppies and Unicorns.

Looked at it that way, the Librarian was just giving humanity hidden Forerunner tech cheat codes, that humans stumbled and fumbled their way into, thinking they did it on their own. So it could be anyone, it just so happened that the Chief was the first, and one of the few that underwent the most radical and experimental treatments.

This is how I felt it was implied.

She planted the seeds for these ideas to take shape, not specifically for Chief/Cortana/Halsey as individuals.

They should go this route:

Bv7in.jpg

Fuck yes.

So I just played through the campaign a second and third time, and I just wanted to share a few speculative thoughts that very well may be very off, but hey, what the hell.

With each playthrough, I kept getting the feeling that the events of Halo 4 were specifically planned. I know that the Librarian mentions that she planted the seeds, and I'm not saying that it was planned that Chief and Cortana float in aboard half of the Forward Unto Dawn, by the way. It just seemed too convenient that of all planets to stumble upon, it would be a Shield World that the Didact was chilling on. It seemed to convenient that the Infinity was close by, close enough for the Didact to capture the signal and manipulate it so that it would appear to be coming from the center of the planet. That Chief and Cortana would just assume that a big glowy orb must be a signal relay.

I suppose what I'm saying is it almost felt as if someone or something was pulling the strings, ensuring that the events of the campaign occurred in the manner that they did.

Am I crazy? I'm probably crazy.

Couple things I didn't understand from the game.

I thought that if the "Composer" was used on humans they would simply evolve into Prometheans but instead they died and Chief was immune because of the Librarian. If thats the case was Didact's plan just to wipe out the human race? I must have missed that being the focus point because I thought his whole plan was just to turn the whole human race into Prometheans to be immune to the flood but the Librarians plan was for the Humans to advance enough to combat the flood while remaining the same.

Also the Librarian talks about the first Human/Promethean war. When did that happen? Did all of humanity almost get wiped out and they don't know about that. I honestly had never picked that up from any of the games.

The Didact is painted as the antogonist for this trilogy, but does anyone have a feeling that this will eventually not end up being the case? From what I've read about the Precursors, they plan on uniting Humanity and the Forerunner through the Flood. The Didact and the Master Chief are competing to ensure Reclaimer status for their respective races. The Flood will eventually return, and the only way they will be stopped is if Humanity and the Forerunner unite against them. This is where I see this trilogy going. However, why the Precursors wish to unite the two races is beyond me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I thought that if the "Composer" was used on humans they would simply evolve into Prometheans but instead they died and Chief was immune because of the Librarian. If thats the case was Didact's plan just to wipe out the human race? I must have missed that being the focus point because I thought his whole plan was just to turn the whole human race into Prometheans to be immune to the flood but the Librarians plan was for the Humans to advance enough to combat the flood while remaining the same.

Also the Librarian talks about the first Human/Promethean war. When did that happen? Did all of humanity almost get wiped out and they don't know about that. I honestly had never picked that up from any of the games.
They don't evolve on the spot to Prometheans. The gist of it is they get absorbed into data which can then be created into the digital beings known as Prometheans.

His whole plan was to use the ancient human race (instead of allying with them because he found them a sworn enemy because they were eradicating Forerunner colonies, but he did not know/believe they were only doing it to try and eradicate the Flood on the same planets entirely) to create a Promethean army to fight the Flood, but it was never enough to combat the infection because they spread too fast so he had to fire the Halos. That war was over 100 000 years ago, before humanity was "re-seeded" and developed into the humanity you see today.

If you haven't already, check out the terminals in the game as they explain a lot. It may still be hazy, but for the most part it's coherent.

Trey

Dr. Tillson and everyone else aboard the space station weren't "killed," they were composed.

The Didact's plan was to attack the Flood head on, exterminating them manually. He needed soldiers for that, and when the Forerunner based Prometheans were defeated, the Didact composed the early humans into Prometheans to continue his campaign against the Flood. The terminals explain the particulars.

When the Didact was awakened by Chief/Cortana, his plan then was to destroy humanity as we know it by composing them. He considered humanity the largest threat to the galaxy, and to the Forerunners.

They don't evolve on the spot to Prometheans. The gist of it is they get absorbed into data which can then be created into the digital beings known as Prometheans.

His whole plan was to use the ancient human race (instead of allying with them because he found them a sworn enemy because they were eradicating Forerunner colonies, but he did not know/believe they were only doing it to try and eradicate the Flood on the same planets entirely) to create a Promethean army to fight the Flood, but it was never enough to combat the infection because they spread too fast so he had to fire the Halos. That war was over 100 000 years ago, before humanity was "re-seeded" and developed into the humanity you see today.

If you haven't already, check out the terminals in the game as they explain a lot. It may still be hazy, but for the most part it's coherent.

Ah gotcha that makes sense. So humanity was advancing to combat the flood and Didact thought their aggressive expansion was fueled by a violent nature and desecration of Forerunner technology when really humanity was just trying to keep the flood at bay. Very cool. I will check out the terminals for sure. Thanks enzo.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So I just played through the campaign a second and third time, and I just wanted to share a few speculative thoughts that very well may be very off, but hey, what the hell.

With each playthrough, I kept getting the feeling that the events of Halo 4 were specifically planned. I know that the Librarian mentions that she planted the seeds, and I'm not saying that it was planned that Chief and Cortana float in aboard half of the Forward Unto Dawn, by the way. It just seemed too convenient that of all planets to stumble upon, it would be a Shield World that the Didact was chilling on. It seemed to convenient that the Infinity was close by, close enough for the Didact to capture the signal and manipulate it so that it would appear to be coming from the center of the planet. That Chief and Cortana would just assume that a big glowy orb must be a signal relay.

I suppose what I'm saying is it almost felt as if someone or something was pulling the strings, ensuring that the events of the campaign occurred in the manner that they did.

yes. also the reason why chief is so "lucky". fits with previous games too.

halo 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snufN7YTUTI

Fuchsdh

Laws of plot. We tend to accept plenty of contrivance in creating conflict, with a few exceptions; it's when writers use contrivance to get *out* of conflict that we complain, and rightly so.

Grisby

Enjoyed the plot way more a second time around.

I like the idea of a digital hard drive. Too bad it's blown up now though right? Although I guess there's still more considering Spartan ops.

Man, it's still a blow to the nuts thinking Cortana might not be around anymore.

Card Boy

Banned
Man, it's still a blow to the nuts thinking Cortana might not be around anymore.

Really dumb to kill her off. She is one of the best characters out there IMO. I wonder if there was a pay dispute with Jen Taylor for a 5th or 6th game? Hopefully a Cortana 2.0 comes back in Halo 5.

Really dumb to kill her off. She is one of the best characters out there IMO. I wonder if there was a pay dispute with Jen Taylor for a 5th or 6th game? Hopefully a Cortana 2.0 comes back in Halo 5.

There is no way she is dead. They needed a new story arc for 3 games.

NBtoaster

Unlikely, she voices Hasley too (unless they kill her off in Spartan ops or something).

Coconut

Banned
So something I've been dwelling on itching me second play through is that where has this apparent sociopath ethic nature of Spartans show up?

Next game, probably. They set up plenty of potential mind issues for the Chief to deal with.

I honestly hope they don't go that route, unless the sociopaths are new characters. The already established Spartans have already been ruined enough, no need to sink further into the hole.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anyone else find it interesting that Halsey is STILL locked up 6 months after the events on Requiem....?

Top Bottom