• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

So what do people think Didact meant when he said "The Forerunner have returned"? He's the only one right? Kindof hard to repopulate a race with only yourself. And even if he managed to successfully compose all of Earth he'd only get more Promethean Knights, right?

I don't think for a second that he's the only Forerunner left.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even if they're fabricated from human minds? I just see the knights as power armor for limited personalities - fragments of mind and memory, and they are made of mostly human minds aren't they? Or at least plenty of them are.
I think so.

Whatever fragments or semblances of humanity outside of, uh the skull, are pretty much gone anyways, I can see how he would consider them one of his and their own.

S1kkZ

I don't think for a second that he's the only Forerunner left.

there is always time travel!
if 343 introduces time travel to the halo universe, i will be PISSED.

there is no need for other forerunners to be alive. the didact works better as a desperate guy who slowly realises that he is the last of his kind (i dont think he really knows that during the events of halo 4). if they use flashbacks in halo 5 (human/flood/forerunner war), that would be much more effective.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
there is always time travel!
if 343 introduces time travel to the halo universe, i will be PISSED.

there is no need for other forerunners to be alive. the didact works better as a desperate guy who slowly realises that he is the last of his kind (i dont think he really knows that during the events of halo 4). if they use flashbacks in halo 5 (human/flood/forerunner war), that would be much more effective.
Wasn't there that silly viral game that dealt with an AI going back in time to our era?

Wasn't there that silly viral game that dealt with an AI going back in time to our era?

That viral game was actually a pretty great introduction to most of the applicable Forerunner stuff we're dealing with now. The AI interacting with us in our time was more a conceit for the interactivity within the viral, and a means to deliver content. I wouldn't read too much into that, when thinking of time travel.

Even if they're not "alive", we've seen Forerunners essentially in play through their digital essence, ala The Librarian.

Flipyap

http://halostory.bungie.org/halostory.timeline.html said:
2552 Sep 7
The Time/Date Record Anomaly of Sep 23, 2552 most likely rejoins the timeline here.

2552 Sep 23
The Master Chief, Cortana, Linda, Polaski, Sgt. Johnson, Haverson, and Locklear depart for Reach via Slipspace aboard the Covenant Flagship Ascendant Justice, captured near the Halo debris field. A Time/Date Record Anomaly continues from this point in the narrative, resolved above on Sep 7, 2552.
!!!!

Tzeentch

-- The books do a terrible job of explaining it, but I think people are giving Halsey a hell of a free ride.
-- She kidnapped a bunch of kids, outright brainwashes them, replaces the kidnapped kids with faulty clones, forces them into military slavery the likes of which even a Janissary would go "hey dude that's a bit messed up", and for what: to be used as death squads against human freedom fighters. Think about that for a second. It's just lucky for their PR that the Covenant showed up or Master Chief would be chest-deep in human blood against those that had the temerity to go against the Earth colonial government and quasi-military dictatorship of the UNSC.

-- I do love how she has nothing but contempt for the Spartan-IV dudebros on Infinity though.

Flipyap

-- The books do a terrible job of explaining it, but I think people are giving Halsey a hell of a free ride.
-- She kidnapped a bunch of kids, outright brainwashes them, replaces the kidnapped kids with faulty clones, forces them into military slavery the likes of which even a Janissary would go "hey dude that's a bit messed up", and for what: to be used as death squads against human freedom fighters. Think about that for a second. It's just lucky for their PR that the Covenant showed up or Master Chief would be chest-deep in human blood against those that had the temerity to go against the Earth colonial government and quasi-military dictatorship of the UNSC.
That's true, or at least it would be in a realistic setting, but this IS a universe in which humanity's destruction by its own hand was a mathematical certainty, foretold by the galaxy's greatest genius (with a magical destiny, or "curiosity", imprinted on her by an ancient alien), and by an AI shadow government that secretly guided our fates from the confines of its virtual masonic lodge. The more layers they add to the "fate"/"destiny" angle, the more it justifies Halsey's actions. At absolute worst, she would have ensured humanity's survival, at least until the Covenant's inevitable release of the Flood. Instead, she saved the entire galaxy. Oops.
From the perspective of a character in the universe, it certainly makes sense to demonize Halsey, but since we know the big picture, these stories become rather pointless and frustrating because the drama has to come from characters unaware of the kind of world they live in.
This isn't a Dune, where the creation of a Space Messiah would have its drawbacks, this is a comic book character origin story and Haley's project will keep paying off until the franchise and/or universe collapses.

zlatko

Banned

Cortana is dead...

Chief we don't know wtf he's doing but at the end of the campaign he took off his suit, so it could go any way. He could be being questioned and detained after being gone for years and losing Cortana. Hell he may be in trouble because his mission was to protect her and Cortana is more valuable than a Spartan is I'm guessing.

Or he could be going dark emo on us for Halo 5. Or he's on his own set of missions. Or later in SpOps he'll pop up.

daedalius

Cortana is dead...

Chief we don't know wtf he's doing but at the end of the campaign he took off his suit, so it could go any way. He could be being questioned and detained after being gone for years and losing Cortana. Hell he may be in trouble because his mission was to protect her and Cortana is more valuable than a Spartan is I'm guessing.

Or he could be going dark emo on us for Halo 5. Or he's on his own set of missions. Or later in SpOps he'll pop up

Hopefully just in a cinematic and not as a braindead AI companion on the missions :p

Insaniac

one of my biggest issues with the campaign was the feeling that everything felt so rushed. Like, it was Here's the didact, oh better stop him, okay stopped him. It was one big blur and I'm not sure if thats good or bad

daedalius

one of my biggest issues with the campaign was the feeling that everything felt so rushed. Like, it was Here's the didact, oh better stop him, okay stopped him. It was one big blur and I'm not sure if thats good or bad

You could definitely tell they wanted to keep that forward momentum going; I thought it was a good thing for the most part.

However, I wouldn't have minded a bit more exposition in a few parts.

After watching SpOps Ep. 3:

I can see now why fans are... Annoyed to say the least in terms of how the UNSC portrays Halsey as a Monster, Etc.

What a dumb ploy to continue Catherine in such poorly creative writing. An excuse to introduce her into the Reclaimer Trilogy just questions wth Travis was thinking to accomplish with this? To have fans buy the novels in figuring out Why she was convicted a "War Criminal"?

She did what she had to do.

If you think about it the first Halo game offered very little if any exposition. If you were like me and played through the game with out reading the story set up in manual or the first novel there were large portions of that story that weren't explained in game.

If anything the Librarian pretty much tells the player everything he needs to know exposition wise. They let the player fill in the gaps with all the sources of lore outside the game. Pretty much like every other Halo game. If anything Halo 4 has more in game exposition then any other Halo game.

daedalius

After watching SpOps Ep. 3:

I can see now why fans are... Annoyed to say the least in terms of how the UNSC portrays Halsey as a Monster, Etc.

What a dumb ploy to continue Catherine in such poorly creative writing. An excuse to introduce her into the Reclaimer Trilogy just questions wth Travis was thinking to accomplish with this? To have fans buy the novels in figuring out Why she was convicted a "War Criminal"?

She did what she had to do.

She had to kidnap children to indoctrinate them mentally and cybernetically alter them physically with tech that has about a 50% mortality rate? Also, she had to clone those children to salve her conscience, even though the parents would watch them wither and die in months? All to prosecute a war against insurrectionists?

She certainly didn't create the Spartans to fight against the Covenant. She created the Spartans because she wanted to see how far she could push the boundaries; because she is in essence a funded mad scientist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you think about it the first Halo game offered very little if any exposition. If you were like me and played through the game with out reading the story set up in manual or the first novel there were large portions of that story that weren't explained in game.

If anything the Librarian pretty much tells the player everything he needs to know exposition wise. They let the player fill in the gaps with all the sources of lore outside the game. Pretty much like every other Halo game. If anything Halo 4 has more in game exposition then any other Halo game.
I think your absolutely right, but at the very least I think they should have expanded on the Didact's motivations a bit more.

Just the fact that the terminals exist AND withheld information in the game from the main story is the frustrating bit.

Cortana is dead...

Do you guys really believe Cortana is dead?

As if 343i would give Jen Taylor the shaft at this point. And how do you make 2 more Master Chief-centric Halo games without Cortana narrating what to do?

although there are hardly any "Halos" in Halo 4 so who knows.

daedalius

As if 343i would give Jen Taylor the shaft at this point. And how do you make 2 more Master Chief-centric Halo games without Cortana narrating what to do?

There is probably a copy of her floating around Requiem, and perhaps with the Librarian AI's help, she isn't going super rampant.

Or she could come back as Shodan, which would be f'ing amazing.

S1kkZ

maybe the next 2 games arent master chief centric? just kidding, 343 would never introduce another main character, after all the shit bungie got for the arbiter in halo 2.

i still think a didact campaign for halo 5 would be fantastic. forerunners against humans, fuck yeah.

S1kkZ

There is probably a copy of her floating around Requiem, and perhaps with the Librarian AI's help, she isn't going super rampant.

or, you just discover that she is still alive, rescue her and everything is back to normal.
no wait, that was halo 3.

-- I do love how she has nothing but contempt for the Spartan-IV dudebros on Infinity though.
If the Covenant didn't show up, you'd have a point, but otherwise, the original intent is moot. No one really gives a shit.

Why? Because Halsey saved Humanity from extinction.

Does it change that what she did was ethically "wrong"? Not really.

But NOTHING will change the irrefutable fact that the Spartans saved humanity. To argue otherwise is completely asinine.

DesertFox

Yep - given the Librarians history of indexing things, I'm sure she saw the need to preserve Cortana.

Maybe we'll recover her copy/fragment at the end of Spartan Ops?

I doubt she's dead. Didn't the Librarian have a meeting with her much like she did Master Chief? I don't think we ever find out what Cortana was told.

daedalius

or, you just discover that she is still alive, rescue her and everything is back to normal.
no wait, that was halo 3.

Maybe she will be Didact's personal 'evolved' Ancilla in Halo 5, and rampantly desires the destruction of the human race?

Man Didact + Cortana attacking Earth, I shudder to think how they'd stop that.

Oh wait, Master Chief. heh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Pretty sure them prioritizing continued employment of a voice actor over narrative direction is preposterous.

And removing Cortana can make the game Master Chief centric because... well it IS only him now. The potential is limitless now that he has no aid, is truly alone and companionless. Great opportunity to open things up more to his humanity. It poses more of a gameplay/canonical problem than it does for story direction per ce.

Replaying the Campaign and watching that scene.. She said "most of me is still down there" referring to the ship, right? So for all we know she could still be alive, just being all rampant and stuff on the Didact's ship much like the FUD. 343 might be playing on the idea that people will assume she's dead because of how the ending turned out, but actually listening to her words might prove otherwise.

Smoke and mirrors!

Pretty sure them prioritizing continued employment of a voice actor over narrative direction is preposterous.

And removing Cortana can make the game Master Chief centric because... well it IS only him now. The potential is limitless now that he has no aid, is truly alone and companionless. Great opportunity to open things up more to his humanity. It poses more of a gameplay/canonical problem than it does for story direction per ce.

The Chief was without Cortana many times throughout the Halo Campaigns, but he still had help elsewhere.

IHaveIce

Banned
The question where is the masterchief during SpOps is really good and why doesn't Palmer help in any mission.

Hopefully Chief meets Kelly.and Fred etc :)

I disagree. Halo is Cortana and Chief. Removing one half of that 10+ year dynamic would be extremely risky. I realize 343 has built themselves some clout at this point but they are not going to basically wreck Halo as we know it by removing a main character from the game. Remember how shitty parts of Halo 3 were during the missions without her?

I think this is basically one fat cliffhanger. But Cortana is alive and will return :)

IMO halo 4 would have been better if he stayed on the forerunner planet for the whole game. That part where you go to the station next to a halo ring was pointless as was having the didacts ship above earth. Those levels would have been better spent exploring the planet and encountering new enemies.

IMO halo 4 would have been better if he stayed on the forerunner planet for the whole game. That part where you go to the station next to a halo ring was pointless as was having the didacts ship above earth. Those levels would have been better spent exploring the planet and encountering new enemies.
That was probably my favorite mission in the game. Felt like one long running battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wasn't pointless in any sense, but I can see you wanting to explore the planet more. I thought all the levels were functionally distinct in terms of the story and really well contained.

I think exploring Installation 03 or another Halo ring in Halo 5 is a lock.

So I've played through the campaign and no one has explained why the covenant is hostile to humans again? Except "a lot has happened in 5 years". I kind of miss having elites as best bros.

Any ideas?

So I've played through the campaign and no one has explained why the covenant is hostile to humans again? Except "a lot has happened in 5 years". I kind of miss having elites as best bros.

Any ideas?

Basically it's explained that a Covenant Faction are still somehow deluded into believing the bullshit the Prophets spewed, therefore continuing the war with humanity.

To me, it served as an excuse to fight the Covenant again. It's still fucking retarded regardless, but hey, when 343 takes their canon from Traviss, stupidity is practically expected, so there's that.

daedalius

Any ideas?

Only the faction of Elites that sided with the Arbiter really battle-bro'd with humanity, the rest of the Elites don't trust/like humans at all; I mean, its kind of hard to when you've been at war for decades. It isn't really surprising, they are quite a diverse species just like humans; we can't even decide one thing or another and we are confined to a single planet.

The specific faction you are fighting against still think the Forerunners are gods, and that one of them lives inside of Requiem. Obviously since they saw the Didact, it wouldn't be hard to think he is some sort of deity given the level of tech he has at his command.

But if you listen to fox, he just hates Karen Traviss, and its all her fault :((((

The line near the beginning about these Covenant being more fanatical was pretty funny though; maybe if they had sent like 10 grunts right before that with the martyrdom perk enabled, it would have made more sense.

Top Bottom