• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

mhi

Also sprint makes the biggest gameplay impact in my opinion, because it forces the map sizes to increase for movement and destroys that arena feel.

mcrommert

Banned
I want it.

Sprinting and Aim Down Sights is a standard with most shooters today. I'm glad if they are in Halo 5.

Call of Duty may have popularized those features, but there are a lot of other shooters that use these mechanics like Battlefield, Destiny, or an FPS I personally play a lot of, Payday 2.

Even though it's not the same in 3rd person shooters, the control scheme for aiming in some of them mirrors the aim controls of ADS FPSs [Gears of War and GTA V are some good examples].

I'm glad these features are in Halo 5, and they're sort of overdue at this point. I love playing Halo and have been on board since 1, but as time went by after 3, I felt like the way the game controlled was dated. I did want to go faster, I did want to aim my gun without using binocular-visor-scope things.

They introduced sprinting in Halo: Reach as an armor ability, and just to be able to move quickly on the battlefield I primarily chose this perk [my other preference was Hologram]. When Halo 4 came out, sprinting was a default feature of your Spartan and I liked it. I liked sprinting in Halo 4 so much that I never chose any other Tactical Package over Mobility, just to have unlimited sprint [and I get to keep my Hologram at the same time to boot!].

With sprinting having a slow honeymooning phase with the Halo games, it was only natural for ADS to eventually come to the game, and I'm surprised it took this long. ADS may have been popularized by Call of Duty but they're in a lot of today's mainstream shooters.

Hell, with all the games I've played since Halo 4, I was using ADS on so many FPSs [and even some 3rd Person Shooters were mimicking this ADS layout like Gears of War and GTA V, even with Loadout and Warframe as F2P examples] that by the time I made it full-circle back to Halo 4, I had to change my control layout. I went from using the Right Stick Button for Halo aiming for over a decade to making left trigger my aim button, just because all of the other games I've played made me migrate to it. And despite changing my Halo controls that I was comfortable with for the last 10 years, going to the new style was very quick to adjust to.

So why the hate for Sprinting and ADS in Halo? Because they're not "Halo" things?

New Halo games are never going to be carbon copies of the previous titles, something is going to be changed somehow. Sprinting has been integrated since Reach, it's plain silly to think they were just gonna get rid of it after Halo 4.

And at this point it's not even confirmed if all weapons even have ADS; for all we know it could be ability-specific or weapon-specific [or weapon-attachment specific too]. 343 could've not made MCC and gave Xbox One owners no choice but to have Halo 5 on that platform, but here we are with MCC, 4 old games with the old way of doing things if ADS and Sprinting is really that much of a big deal.

Master Chief is good at what he does because he adapts to the changes of the battlefield, he's ready for any situation at a moments notice. Don't play Halo 5 if you don't want to, you have your old options to fall back on, but not doing it just because of ADS and Sprinting just seems silly to me. The game's gonna evolve whether or not we're there to see it.

Get-out.gif

trixx

Hopefully the game isn't as fast as CoD dispite the sprint.

One thing i always liked about halo was that it wasn't hide and go seek but each kill is like a battle. Thankfully they didn't takeout shields lol.

VeeP

Here. 343i, Frankie, whoever is at Microsoft. I have a solution. The perfect solution.

All future Halo games? Do whatever you want. ADS/Sprint/etc. All good. You might attract more gamers, and some old ones might love the changes too! Allows creativity/innovation/etc. into a franchise.

For others, put out Halo: Arena as $30 DLC game.

No sprinting. No ADS.

Classic Halo 1/2/3 type gameplay on mostly symmetrical maps, with focus on teamwork.

Comes with 10-15 maps. Multiplayer only. Armor cost money, customization cost money, map DLC is free. Dedicated servers.

Text that was actually civilized
A few things:
1. Could ADS benefit Halo to make it more modern? It would, except that adding it makes it a reskinned version of CoD
2. We have confirmation from Shinobi(who I will vouch for) that all the weapons have ADS
3. I think a HUGE part of this is how bad Halo 4's MP was(if you don't believe me, look at the MP falloff rate compared to reach/3)

Here. 343i, Frankie, whoever is at Microsoft. I have a solution. The perfect solution.

All future Halo games? Do whatever you want. ADS/Sprint/etc. All good. You might attract more gamers, and some old ones might love the changes too! Allows creativity/innovation/etc. into a franchise.

No sprinting. No ADS.

Classic Halo 1/2/3 type gameplay on mostly symmetrical maps, with focus on teamwork.

Comes with 10-15 maps. Multiplayer only. Armor cost money, customization cost money, map DLC is free. Dedicated servers.

I don't think it's a good idea...

tnaden

Kinda surprised they want to take a shot at the CoD market with Halo.
I doubt this will be good for the franchise in the long run. Who wants to buy another CoD every year?

i knew after 4 that they had no intention of making a Halo game like most hardcore Halo fans wanted. I had zero hopes for 5, but if you want to play Halo 1,2,3 online you need to get a XB1 sooner than later.

the MCC was a great idea to bring back some nostalgia and play some old games but I always thought of it as a springboard to Halo5, you know, the biggest and most important first party game Microsoft will launch in the XB1's early life.

if you dismiss that game you left playing MCC multiplayer for the next 3-4 years until 343 takes another shot with Halo6?

Guess I'm a casual. Loved Halo 1-3, meh on Reach, didn't like H4 at all. I suck at competitive multiplayer. I'm over COD, but i dig ADS and sprint. Feel like Destiny is the best of all worlds since it feels like Halo to me. I'm reading the protests, but I'm thinking: Destiny has this and feels like just like Halo and not COD.

Tokubetsu

I want it.

Sprinting and Aim Down Sights is a standard with most shooters today. I'm glad if they are in Halo 5.

Call of Duty may have popularized those features, but there are a lot of other shooters that use these mechanics like Battlefield, Destiny, or an FPS I personally play a lot of, Payday 2.

Even though it's not the same in 3rd person shooters, the control scheme for aiming in some of them mirrors the aim controls of ADS FPSs [Gears of War and GTA V are some good examples].

I'm glad these features are in Halo 5, and they're sort of overdue at this point. I love playing Halo and have been on board since 1, but as time went by after 3, I felt like the way the game controlled was dated. I did want to go faster, I did want to aim my gun without using binocular-visor-scope things.

They introduced sprinting in Halo: Reach as an armor ability, and just to be able to move quickly on the battlefield I primarily chose this perk [my other preference was Hologram]. When Halo 4 came out, sprinting was a default feature of your Spartan and I liked it. I liked sprinting in Halo 4 so much that I never chose any other Tactical Package over Mobility, just to have unlimited sprint [and I get to keep my Hologram at the same time to boot!].

With sprinting having a slow honeymooning phase with the Halo games, it was only natural for ADS to eventually come to the game, and I'm surprised it took this long. ADS may have been popularized by Call of Duty but they're in a lot of today's mainstream shooters.

Hell, with all the games I've played since Halo 4, I was using ADS on so many FPSs [and even some 3rd Person Shooters were mimicking this ADS layout like Gears of War and GTA V, even with Loadout and Warframe as F2P examples] that by the time I made it full-circle back to Halo 4, I had to change my control layout. I went from using the Right Stick Button for Halo aiming for over a decade to making left trigger my aim button, just because all of the other games I've played made me migrate to it. And despite changing my Halo controls that I was comfortable with for the last 10 years, going to the new style was very quick to adjust to.

So why the hate for Sprinting and ADS in Halo? Because they're not "Halo" things?

New Halo games are never going to be carbon copies of the previous titles, something is going to be changed somehow. Sprinting has been integrated since Reach, it's plain silly to think they were just gonna get rid of it after Halo 4.

And at this point it's not even confirmed if all weapons even have ADS; for all we know it could be ability-specific or weapon-specific [or weapon-attachment specific too]. 343 could've not made MCC and gave Xbox One owners no choice but to have Halo 5 on that platform, but here we are with MCC, 4 old games with the old way of doing things if ADS and Sprinting is really that much of a big deal.

Master Chief is good at what he does because he adapts to the changes of the battlefield, he's ready for any situation at a moments notice. Don't play Halo 5 if you don't want to, you have your old options to fall back on, but not doing it just because of ADS and Sprinting just seems silly to me. The game's gonna evolve whether or not we're there to see it.

I feel you but we're definitely in the minority here (at least on gaf). It's why I'm in no rush to get MCC (only really want it for h5 beta). I was looking at footage of the MP and nothing about it excites me anymore. I put so much time into H3 etc, even with H2 maps I just don't care about that style anymore.

Noobcraft

Guess I'm a casual. Loved Halo 1-3, meh on Reach, didn't like H4 at all. I suck at competitive multiplayer. I'm over COD, but i dig ADS and sprint. Feel like Destiny is the best of all worlds since it feels like Halo to me. I'm reading the protests, but I'm thinking: Destiny has this and feels like just like Halo and not COD.
No logic allowed.

Don't understand the issue. Can't you just not use ADS and sprinting and it would be just like the Halo you've played all these years? How does having more options hurt it?

No, not really. Adding systems to the game like sprint and ADS fundamentally change the game's combat formula.

The presence of ADS generally means hip fire will be less accurate than ADS fire, so sure- you can not use it, but you will be heavily penalized for doing so.

The presence of sprint generally means that base movement speed will be slowed versus what it might have been without a sprint mechanic being present. Once again- you're penalized if you don't use it.

To borrow a line from Amorix from earlier in the thread, this changes Halo from a run and gun game to a run or gun game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Destiny is nothing like Halo

viveks86

Guys, what if there is a playlist option for enabling/disabling ADS so that everyone is happy. Will it be as bad? What are the downsides then?

Can somebody elaborate on this?

haven't played it
You'll play as Master Chief for half an hour, followed by cutscene shit, and then you'll think you're playing as Master Chief, but it'll turn out to be Locke, and you'll be him for the rest of the game.

And then you'll bump into Master Chief masquerading as a different SPARTAN who'll then reveal himself to be Master Chief about 10 minutes before the game ends.

i have not fucking played mgs2 in years

Raide

No sprinting. No ADS.

Play MCC. I agree they should have options within the game go tweak certain things on and off but they have to try new things. You never know, you might like it!

This is like some darkest time line shit. Never in my life could I have guessed 343 would ballsy enough to put ADS in Halo. Like that was the type of thing that I thought a massive majority of the fan base would consider the absolute worst mechanic to add to Halo. I joked about this, but never in my wildest imagination did I think it would actually happen. What a goddamn shame.

RoKKeR

Guys, what if there is a playlist option for enabling/disabling ADS so that everyone is happy. Will it be as bad? What are the downsides then?

Split community.

Also somebody please post a MGS2 explanation/synopsis.

Edit: Saw on the last page haha

Pappasman

As someone who loved competetitve halo for years this news fucking sucks. Here i was thinking they were on the right track after MCC...

Destiny is a good game (gameplay wise, mostly) but saying it feels "just like halo" is a huge stretch.

TechOne

I want it.

f2VNgf9.jpg

Seventy70

lol, enjoy MCC while you can. Brace yourself for the playlist cut next Fall to make people buy Halo 5. I could see them cutting most of the playlists out and only leave in Halo 2 anniversary mp or some shit.

That definitely sounds like a 343 move. Bungie never should have handed it over. They should have just let Halo die right after Reach.

Top Bottom