• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Cover Art Revealed

I don't subscribe to that argument. They are vastly different types of multiplayer games. A lot of Halo players don't play other shooters. In fact, I think it is astounding of the population Halo 3 was pulling online on such a young console for a very long time. It is far more logical to say the Halo games online got worse since Halo 3, and its population too.

We understand that you don't like 343i and the "new" halo and are stuck in your ways of what halo should be, but understand that there are halo fans who are willing to allow new ideas into the halo universe and be hyped about it.

The beta of halo 5 was fun and exciting for me whilst still feeling like halo. We don't know much about the campaign yet but the audio logs and snippets they are releasing are also getting people hyped.

So you and foolish fellow need to realise that people are excited and intrigued about halo 5, whether you like it or not.

Bsigg12

I don't subscribe to that argument. They are vastly different types of multiplayer games. A lot of Halo players don't play other shooters. In fact, I think it is astounding of the population Halo 3 was pulling online on such a young console for a very long time. It is far more logical to say the Halo games online got worse since Halo 3, and its population too.

So then by extension, Halo started falling apart with Reach, which had nothing to do with 343. Don't get me wrong 4's multiplayer was a joke that compounded on top of some really bad design choices in Reach but as far as 343 handling mainline Halo games, 4 was a pretty good game all around. It wasn't an instant classic but it was a pretty good outing for their first game even with all the weird choices.

Halo 5 as experienced in the beta showed they learned from mistakes in 4 like the weapon drops or the uneven starts but people who can't accept change will cry from the roof tops that sprint is the root of all evil or thrusters cause cancer.

If you played the beta and spent an ample amount of time with it to get a feel for it and didn't like it, well there's a nice selection of games coming out in a 30 day frame around Halo 5 that might be more suited to you. If you can't get past the idea that 343 need to go back to classic, old Halo, than maybe it's time to move onto a new franchise.

Malleavel

Anyone else kind of disappointed with the design of blue team?
I was kind of hoping their armors would be more bulky, and older looking like mk v.
There should be something to distinguish Spartan IIs from Spartan IVs, besides height, to drive the "old vs new" point further IMO.

Halo CE was great because it focused on gameplay and almost followed a Nintendo-esque game design philosophy. The narrative was subservient to the gameplay. Master chief was an empty vessel for the player. The little dialogue that he did have functioned in Duke Nukem-like fashion in that it was usually "badass" humorous little quips after significant gameplay moments.

Halo CE is a plot heavy game. The argument about "narrative being subservient to gameplay" only really holds ground because the gameplay outweighs the story narrative in quantity which can be said for almost any game. There is no great design philosophy that mirrors anything nintendo have ever done here. The 2 driving forces behind Halo being successful are the "3 pillars of fun" and nailing fps controls on a console (partly down to the controller)

The Halo 2 campaign represents the beginning of a downward trend in the campaign/narrative of the Halo franchise. It might be considered a classic now for nostalgia reasons (and the multiplayer), but many hardcore Halo fans (at the time) absolutely hated the covenant religious war nonsense, the decision to have elites speak english. Yes, the cinematic experience (whatever that means) was amped up. However, the dialogue and narrative was creative writing 101/fan fiction levels of bad... and it pissed off a lot of people. Halo 2 came out during the height of the Iraq War, and my personal opinion was that all of the religious war stuff was some writers poorly thought out commentary on the Sunni--Shia relations and the height of the Bush administration. It was perhaps an interesting idea, but seemed out of place (especially following Halo CE)... Mainly it was just poorly constructed.

Halo 2 was announced in 2002 and shown in 2003. The iraq war began in 2003. You can draw as many heavy handed comparisons as you want but that doesn't make them true. Work on Halo 2 very likely started at the beginning of 2002. And all accounts say it started with Jason Jones going to Joe Staten with a plot outline (early 2002)

Halo 2's campaign was regarded badly because of it's ending which is more on microsofts head that bungies.

Bungie avoided any links to any political problems by calling the Dervish Arbiter instead.

Regarding the cover arts. The original cover arts were fine. Master Chief is supposed to be an empty vessel. Their genericness makes a lot of sense. They're not going to win any awards sure, but they were functional. I want a functional Halo game. I want a campaign that doesn't restrict me to narrow corridors. Hell, I'd honestly prefer blowing up another ring and a final level where you have to drive a warthog through a collapsing environment to the melodrama about Cortana and the feelings of master chief and jumping into an overpowered mech (why the fuck are there mechs in the Halo universe again???) and killing endless waves of enemies in a dark and ugly environment.
Half of Halo CE is a corridor shooter in dark and ugly enviroments.
Mechs exists because not everyone is a spartan.

Everyone bar a few nutters agrees that Halo MP started to fall apart with Reach,

Bungie just stuck two fingers up to the original Halo MP and what made it stand out in a sea of mediocrity and decided to do some experimentation that would then carry over into Destiny.

343, for whatever reason, decided that carrying on the path Bungie set the series on was the right decision...

VeeP

Everyone bar a few nutters agrees that Halo MP started to fall apart with Reach,

Bungie just stuck two fingers up to the original Halo MP and what made it stand out in a sea of mediocrity and decided to do some experimentation that would then carry over into Destiny.

343, for whatever reason, decided that carrying on the path Bungie set the series on was the right decision...

What made Reach a shitty multiplayer experience was:

*Bloom
*Armor Abilities/Armor Lock
*Different Loadouts
*Mediocre Maps

Does Halo 5 have any of these? Armor abilities are universal, and are not overpowered. Bloom is out. Maps seemed solid from what I played.

What made Reach a shitty multiplayer experience was:

*Bloom
*Armor Abilities/Armor Lock
*Different Loadouts
*Mediocre Maps

Does Halo 5 have any of these? Armor abilities are universal, and are not overpowered. Bloom is out. Maps seemed solid from what I played.

You shouldnt hype up halo 5 so much. We only know one half of the Halo 5 MP. That large MP Experience that was teased by a lot of 343 people is probably going to have things that people will not like again.

I for one wasnt happy with the ARENA MP part. Yeah sure it was better than H4. But it was still not really Halo to me. Sure models and characters look like Halo, but gameplay is still far from Halo to me.
Thruster Packs, ADS, Sprint and who knows whats happening in BTB.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Yeah, a huge problem in Halo 4 was that non-book readers had literally no idea what was going on except "bad man diadact" and "good man chef"

honestly it was incomprehensible, librarian please go away

My only statement to this is if you are interested in halo you will read the books. The Halo story flows from The Fall of Reach through Halo 5 currently. If you are interested in the story, the game is only a portion of that. When people complain they don't know what is going on then I say its their own fault. If you want to know what is going on you will find out yourself. Otherwise you really are just here for mindless entertainment. I would consider you as one of the people that just plays for the multiplayer.

You shouldnt hype up halo 5 so much. We only know one half of the Halo 5 MP. That large MP Experience that was teased by a lot of 343 people is probably going to have things that people will not like again.
At least the 4v4 part will be awesome, their magnum rebalance since beta sounds great. I hope AR+Magnum will be the starting weapons, it forced players way better to cycle trough the map than just having a BR all the time

I loved Invasion and BTB in Reach, I could live with pre-made loadouts for BTB and I still hope there will be Invasion 2.0.

To be honest to me the movement in classic Halo MP feels horribly slow to me when I'm playing MCC. I always try to push a sprint button by reflex because you either need to spend a lot time trying to get back to the action or you spawned in the middle of an open area and it takes way too long to get in cover

Who just wants to play classic Halo we now have a game for that, and by now it's playable fine

No way is he mid thirties. Not with that wrinkled face.

Stress'll fuck you up good, man.

I for one wasnt happy with the ARENA MP part. Yeah sure it was better than H4. But it was still not really Halo to me. Sure models and characters look like Halo, but gameplay is still far from Halo to me.

We've talked about this before, but I feel like thruster packs (at least) feel like a natural evolution of the formula. ADS doesn't so much bother me as it's largely cosmetic, and Sprint... well, Sprint's been here since Reach. Not much point in dwelling on it.

Besides, they're upping the base move speed and dropping the sprint speed, so that's good.

And hey, if they go nuts with BTB (or whatever the larger gametype is), I'm okay with that. Let's see something really crazy.

Cover looks good, too bad there's no Arbiter on the full version though. I wonder if that speaks to how much that character will actually show up in Halo 5?

At least the 4v4 part will be awesome, their magnum rebalance since beta sounds great. I hope AR+Magnum will be the starting weapons, it forced players way better to cycle trough the map than just having a BR all the time

I loved Invasion and BTB in Reach, I could live with pre-made loadouts for BTB and I still hope there will be Invasion 2.0.

To be honest to me the movement in classic Halo MP feels horribly slow to me when I'm playing MCC. I always try to push a sprint button by reflex because you either need to spend a lot time trying to get back to the action or you spawned in the middle of an open area and it takes way too long to get in cover

Who just wants to play classic Halo we now have a game for that, and by now it's playable fine

4v4 part wasnt awesome to me... And what magnum changes? They havent said anything about that and i hope it stays that way. Dont need a OP pistol.

Start Loadouts needs to be BR/AR. AR starts was awful.

Old Halo movement is fine and is not slow. Im trying to play MCC everyday and when i have a match, im really not trying to sprint. I enjoy it a lot. No one sprinting away, no one thrusting away.
If you really want to sprint now, you probably played too many other games with sprint.

Alienous

I played Halo 4. You say it like it's obvious, but the giant flying Pokemon thingy doesn't look like anything I recall from that game...?

I think it's that Forerunners have detached body parts (that seems like they're suspended in the air). So the big thing is probably a Forerunner.

VeeP

I'm not hyping Halo 5 MP at all. The poster I quoted said 343 is continuing the trend Bungie started with Reach, and I didn't see any of that in the Beta.

4v4 part wasnt awesome to me... And what magnum changes? They havent said anything about that and i hope it stays that way. Dont need a OP pistol.

Start Loadouts needs to be BR/AR. AR starts was awful.

Old Halo movement is fine and is not slow. Im trying to play MCC everyday and when i have a match, im really not trying to sprint. I enjoy it a lot. No one sprinting away, no one thrusting away.
If you really want to sprint now, you probably played too many other games with sprint.

Did you not like AR/Magnum stars at all? This was easily the first game where it was actually fun, especially because I felt more need to move around the map to pick up new weapons.

I'm not hyping Halo 5 MP at all. The poster I quoted said 343 is continuing the trend Bungie started with Reach, and I didn't see any of that in the Beta.

These days, saying anything 343 does is "not shit" is the same as hyping it.

Get with the program, geeze.

Random17

If we are staying on the discussion of Halo 2's campaign, I'd like to point out that Halo 5 has a number of important similarities to Halo 2 already!

For instance:

-A significant number of new characters are likely to come into the video game fray e.g. Blue Team, Locke's team. Tartarus and the Prophets were first mentioned in First Strike and later appeared in Halo 2. I expect Osman to play a sizable role.
-Two playable characters at least.
-The Arbiter.
-Likely to be a campaign structure similar to Halo 2; with interweaving story lines that combine at the middle/end of the game.

What arguably made Halo 2 have the best Campaign story was the incredible amount of character and world building in the game. No Halo game has matched Halo 2 worldbuilding to this date, and Halo 3 took a number of steps backwards in that regard. (Character assassinations, Arbiter relegation, diluted story in the first half etc etc)

343i can fuck this up badly, but there's definitely precedent in the franchise for having a dual-arc story done well. I think that Halo 5's length is extremely important. They need to make the game at least a few hours longer than Halo 4 for the story to be done right. And I haven't even mentioned the gameplay side of things.

scently

If we are staying on the discussion of Halo 2's campaign, I'd like to point out that Halo 5 has a number of important similarities to Halo 2 already!

For instance:

-A significant number of new characters are likely to come into the video game fray e.g. Blue Team, Locke's team. Tartarus and the Prophets were first mentioned in First Strike and later appeared in Halo 2. I expect Osman to play a sizable role.
-Two playable characters at least.
-The Arbiter.
-Likely to be a campaign structure similar to Halo 2; with interweaving story lines that combine at the middle/end of the game.

What arguably made Halo 2 have the best Campaign story was the incredible amount of character and world building in the game. No Halo game has matched Halo 2 worldbuilding to this date, and Halo 3 took a number of steps backwards in that regard. (Character assassinations, Arbiter relegation, diluted story in the first half etc etc)

343i can fuck this up badly, but there's definitely precedent in the franchise for having a dual-arc story done well. I think that Halo 5's length is extremely important. They need to make the game at least a few hours longer than Halo 4 for the story to be done right. And I haven't even mentioned the gameplay side of things.

I think H5 has a number of similarities with most of the Halo games thus far:

You will be hanging out with a group of Spartans like in Reach.

At least a character from ODST is represented.

It seems like it will include quite a bit of lore and world building.

The Arbiter will mostlikely make an appearance.

Forerunners will be represented one way or the other...

It has the potential to be an incredible game if done right. All the right ingredients are there. I hope 343i gets it right.

abadguy

Banned
We understand that you don't like 343i and the "new" halo and are stuck in your ways of what halo should be, but understand that there are halo fans who are willing to allow new ideas into the halo universe and be hyped about it.

The beta of halo 5 was fun and exciting for me whilst still feeling like halo. We don't know much about the campaign yet but the audio logs and snippets they are releasing are also getting people hyped.

So you and foolish fellow need to realise that people are excited and intrigued about halo 5, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

Random17

I think H5 has a number of similarities with most of the Halo games thus far:

You will be hanging out with a group of Spartans like in Reach.

At least a character from ODST is represented.

It seems like it will include quite a bit of lore and world building.

The Arbiter will mostlikely make an appearance.

Forerunners will be represented one way or the other...

It has the potential to be an incredible game if done right. All the right ingredients are there. I hope 343i gets it right.
The dual arc Campaign structure is what stands out though, and that was only seen in Halo 2. ODST has some similarities, but pulling off a dual arc story is very different to the structure of ODST.

scently

The dual arc Campaign structure is what stands out though, and that was only seen in Halo 2. ODST has some similarities, but pulling off a dual arc story is very different to the structure of ODST.

I am talking in general. H5 is going to have parallels with several other Halo games thus far. The dual campaign was used in H2 while moving with a group of Spartans was last used in Halo Reach. Buck is a character from ODST, Blue Team is from the books, etc. It's like a culmination of various elements from the Halo universe.

Kssio_Aug

Halo 5 with 2 campaings, showing both Master Chief's and Agent Locke's visions. Believe!! =D

Of all the campaings, story wise Halo 4 was my favorite. I understand that Bungie created a giant and interesting universe, but Halo 4 was the best when it comes to storytrelling. Halo 5 is the game I'm looking forward the most! And that's because of BOTH campaing and multiplayer! Can't wait!

I played Halo 4. You say it like it's obvious, but the giant flying Pokemon thingy doesn't look like anything I recall from that game...?

I agree it's not an obvious thing, but I guess he may be right that is a Forerunner thing. I mean it because of the separated, not "glued" pieces. It resemble me a lot the prometheans weapons:
184hx3jnhltivgif.gif

Well, at least half of the cover with the Chief is badass.

Locke on the other hand... just seems like uninspired nonsense.

Would have preferred the blue team art but can't have everything.

And what magnum changes? They havent said anything about that and i hope it stays that way. Dont need a OP pistol.
This one:

"Since the beta we've been retuning and buffing the magnum. We want to make it a viable precision counterpart to the AR, yet don't want it to be so powerful that players simply rely on it in the majority of situations and never trade it out. When I talked to Chris King yesterday (Chris is the lead designer over sandbox) he pointed out that it has been beating the BR in recent pro team tests, which feels a little too strong. We're still honing the balance. "
Source

Also interesting:
"One of the problems with Truth is that people hear "inspired by Midship" and immediately compare it to that classic map. We took inspiration from Midship but didn't want duplicate it in terms of layout or size. We wanted something that had its own character. It's interesting because fans of OG Midship think it's a giant monstrosity while newer players generally like it. It's certainly not my favorite H5 map, but I do enjoy playing it.

Since beta the lighting has improved to allow for better player visibility (no more blue team hiding in plain sight), the weapon placements have changed, and overall it plays much better (especially with the higher base speed)."

Hubble

That is fine. If people are hyped for Halo 5, okay, as I said it is my opinion, and many others, we have to be SMARTER consumers and not just eat everything that is giving to us. 343 have done nothing to justify hype, and if anything downed it with the Master Chief Collection and Halo 4.

So then by extension, Halo started falling apart with Reach, which had nothing to do with 343. Don't get me wrong 4's multiplayer was a joke that compounded on top of some really bad design choices in Reach but as far as 343 handling mainline Halo games, 4 was a pretty good game all around. It wasn't an instant classic but it was a pretty good outing for their first game even with all the weird choices.

Halo 5 as experienced in the beta showed they learned from mistakes in 4 like the weapon drops or the uneven starts but people who can't accept change will cry from the roof tops that sprint is the root of all evil or thrusters cause cancer.

Halo 5 included weapon drop callouts..... Yes, I would agree with that. 343 are so clueless they followed Reach literally. Bungie did not want to make Halo: Reach. They kept making spin-offs to fulfill contractual obligations like ODST. They did not want to make another game after Halo 3, and as artists, wanted to create something new. Bungie already had plans for Destiny, and those games had Destiny easter eggs. Halo 3 was their last love song to Halo, and realizing they had to make another Halo, they decided to spin it off rather than continue the series from Halo 3, eventually seeking independence. 343 does not understand this and also many things of the Halo universe. I agree there needs to be changes in Halo 5, but things that are not Halo like cool bro back smack assassinations, weapon drop callouts, etc., should not be in the game.

Yes, I would agree with that. 343 are so clueless they followed Reach literally. Bungie did not want to make Halo: Reach. They did not want to make another game after Halo 3, and as artists, wanted to create something new. Bungie already had plans for Destiny, and those games had Destiny easter eggs. Halo 3 was their love song to Halo, and realizing they had to make another Halo, they decided to spin it off rather than continue the series from Halo 3, eventually seeking independence. 343 does not understand this and also many things of the Halo universe.

Halo: Reach is still in every way a Bungie Halo game, yes they wanted to try new thins, I fail to see what that has to do with them "not wanting to make a halo". It's pretty clear Bungie are not comfortable with their vision for the future, which resulted in a confused game named Destiny. Also a lot of the talent (big names) associated with Bungie and the old Halo games are gone, so it is ridiculous to assume that if Bungie wanted to make another Halo game, it would have turned out different.

Hubble

Halo: Reach is still in every way a Bungie Halo game, yes they wanted to try new thins, I fail to see what that has to do with them "not wanting to make a halo". It's pretty clear Bungie are not comfortable with their vision for the future, which resulted in a confused game named Destiny. Also a lot of the talent (big names) associated with Bungie and the old Halo games are gone, so it is ridiculous to assume that if Bungie wanted to make another Halo game, it would have turned out different.

I am sure if Bungie made a Halo 4 or Halo 5, and not a spin-off, it would be a vastly different game and the Halo game that fans want with a theater mode lol.

I hear that argument get thrown around a lot, and I think it's just flat out wrong. Halo 1-3 used to pioneer new features. The gameplay mechanics that appeared in those games would become the industry norm in FPS console titles in that years that followed.

Whereas everything that followed Halo 3 was just playing catchup with features that were first implemented in other shooters.

I want Halo to continue innovating. I don't want the same old greatest hits ad nauseum, but copying features that were first popularized in other shooters and cutting back on some of the series' most beloved features is one of the main reasons that this franchise is floundering.

Top Bottom