• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The importance of cover art.

ico.large.jpg

This.
Still got the left one with cards :)

Laptop1991

Cover art use to be important to me, but i haven't bought a physical game in 10 years or so on PC, so it's isn't now, but i remember vinyl albums, then going to cd, the same happened to an extent there as well, i use to love the cover art on LP's

I realize all this is subjective (except for Touch DIC, that’s universal) but I can’t stand anime cover art. No matter the composition, it usually turns me off to the game. That’s unfair, but I don’t make the rules.

Beechos

Hugely important back in the days. I bought a bunch of bum games thanks to cool cover art and missed a bunch of great games due to horrible box art.

gtabro

Marvel's Spider-Man is one of the most GENIUS cover arts EVER.
Why?
Because it works beyond the covert art.
How is a plain red background genius you might ask... because what are Spidey's signature colours?
Red and Blue.
Red is the background
The game is PS-exclusive.
So the game officially only exists in a blue case.

Give the designer of the cover a raise ffs.

WlwJddT.png

I also love the sense of openness on the TOTK cover. Also the hand-painted style and the bold greens, the fact it's in the sky (blue-ish colours dominate it) and the green doesn't look super unnatural or something is a testament to the craft of the artist.

VJtdoEJ.png

And this proper classic, wish fantasy games would do more of these type of covers again...

BdrZiwT.png

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I remember this bothering me because the logo is flipped.

That's like a pretty major mistake an artist can do in an advert. But this one seems deliberate because they also flipped it on the title logo.

I wonder why they would do that. It's not like they didn't have the license to use the logo, did they?

OK so I had to dig deeper

And there are, in fact, two versions of the Ghostbusters logo, Gross reveals. “The interesting thing is – and it’s hard for people to figure this out – but one of the versions I did had ‘Ghostbusters’ written in the diagonal sign,” he explains. “And it doesn’t read well the way the actual symbol is: so I flipped it so it reads the other way.”

Gross explains that this ‘correct’ version of the symbol (ISO 3864-1, signage buffs), with the crossbar running top left to bottom right, was then only used in Europe where the ‘no’ sign was more familiar than in the US. “We took the word ‘Ghostbusters’ off it – and it’s still backwards – so if you ever see it the ‘correct’ way, that’s for European release,” says Gross. “They said, ‘look we can’t run it backwards over here, we’ve been using it for fifty years’. So it’s two ways; if you see it ‘backwards’, it’s US; if you see it the ‘correct’ way it’s European.”

So that is why it is correct on the Atari 2600 cover and incorrect on the C64 PAL tape version (or rather vice versa)! Which is confirmed when we look at the C64 NTSC disk!

72375-ghostbusters-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:

nkarafo

OK so I had to dig deeper

So that is why it is correct on the Atari 2600 cover and incorrect on the C64 PAL tape version (or rather vice versa)! Which is confirmed when we look at the C64 NTSC disk!

72375-ghostbusters-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Thanks for this.

But still seems inconsistent. The PAL version of the 360.PS3 Ghostbusters game, for instance, is not like the European "correct" version but like the original.

I did a fast image search of "Ghostbusters PAL" and "European" and it seems completely random. Might also depend on the individual countries as well.

Love good cover art, still do even though my collection is 100% digital at this point. I use Playnite as my launcher on PC, so I still get that fun experience of browsing my collection with nice, large art before I play. I also contribute a ton of stuff to Steamgrid.db.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Same game, but one version has dumbed down artwork aimed at 8 year olds.

EPsOkcEU0AIgrZq.jpg
EPsOkcFUEAEy2PO.jpg
The one on the left is far better.

Easily seeing the castle. Good contrast, use of colors, mystery.

The right is a fucking mess of lines and colors that don't blend well, especially the title.

s_mirage

Anyone else thinks modern covers are afterthoughts and so dull compared to older ones up to ps3 era?

Yes. Same as movie poster/cover art. Pre-internet especially, that cover art had to sell the product to you, hence so many crappy b-movies having awesome VHS cover art back in the day.

Svejk

Even after close to 25 years, thinking back of the magical Christmas is was going to get both Strider and Shadow Dancer for Genesis, I was literally skeptical my parents got me the right games, or bought knockoffs, due to both of them having absolute horrific cover arts (US). Thank God the actual games were incredible at the time. That was the bottom of the barrel of bad cover arts vs. incredible game conjunction.

Regginator

More than cover art, I always looked at the backside because they tended to show off some gameplay aspect or an appealing vista shot. The first game I ever bought with my own money was Banjo-Tooie and I pretty much exclusively decided on it because of the backside. And of course the cover art as well, because what's not to love about a bear, a bird, and some tribesman going on an adventure?

Top Bottom