• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

JoeLT

It sounds like you're describing a bunch of issues and conflating them into one problem. I can't speak to your specific issues and I 100% believe you're experiencing all of them - although soft locking and players failing to load into sessions - you'd need to be specific about where and when. But I can tell you that we continue to monitor and improve, correct or fix issues as we discover them.

A seemingly extremely simple issue that has been plaguing me and my friends for MONTHS is searching in Expanded, then after the first match it switches back to balanced for everyone else, but it still says Expanded for the host. You have to back out and research for it to change to Expanded again. The amount of friends I know who have stopped playing because they couldn't find games because it keeps switching to balanced is ridiculous. (In Australia there isn't enough players to find a game in Balanced, it will literally give an error saying there's not enough players in matchmaking)

Oh look at that! It happened again a few games later!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/26744669

uiBAeuu.jpg

EDIT: Annnnddd... just happened again.

mo60

Oh look at that! It happened again a few games later!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/26744669

uiBAeuu.jpg

EDIT: Annnnddd... just happened again.

That is exactly what I experience sometimes, but it's exclusively to warzone and I think warzone firefight from what I noticed.

Also I got to watch some halo wars 2 gameplay today at a microsoft store close to where I live while I was participating in some doubles tournament for halo 5.

I vote Jeremy Cook to be the Art Director for Halo 6. He did a great job with Halo Wars 2.

Thanks for reading.
Whelp, I like Halo's new art just fine. It's not like he abandoned everything, we've still got the new Forerunner designs. It's just the older UNSC aesthetic is back. I'd like to see how/if they coexist in the future.

Toa Axis

Whelp, I like Halo's new art just fine. It's not like he abandoned everything, we've still got the new Forerunner designs. It's just the older UNSC aesthetic is back. I'd like to see how/if they coexist in the future.

That exact detail has been bugging me for a while now. This game supposedly takes place on the Ark, the same one as Halo 3, correct? If so, why are we seeing the new style of Forerunner architecture? Furthermore, why haven't we seen it in Halo 5 either, where we visited two Builder worlds? They seemed to have completely changed how Builder installations have looked from the OG trilogy, which seems to imply some type of selective continuity by 343. They contextualize the return of the older Covenant and UNSC aesthetics, but they don't do the same for the Forerunners.

Like, why establish those things if you aren't gonna go 100% :/

That exact detail has been bugging me for a while now. This game supposedly takes place on the Ark, the same one as Halo 3, correct? If so, why are we seeing the new style of Forerunner architecture? Furthermore, why haven't we seen it in Halo 5 either, where we visited two Builder worlds? They seemed to have completely changed how Builder installations have looked from the OG trilogy, which seems to imply some type of selective continuity by 343. They contextualize the return of the older Covenant and UNSC aesthetics, but they don't do the same for the Forerunners.

Like, why establish those things if you aren't gonna go 100% :/
It's because 343's handling of the style changes has always been a little inconsistent. Some things, like the new Covenant designs, most of the new UNSC gear, is the result of in-universe changes. New tech looks different from old tech, those new jackals are just a previously unmentioned subspecies, etc. Others, most notably the Forerunner designs, are straight retcons; it looks different because it has ALWAYS looked different and pay no attention to those old screens. That's why those got changed in CEA and H2A. Then there's the way the Chief's armor changed from 3 to 4 which is its own special mess.

On the whole, I strongly prefer the new looks (especially Chief's), but it's been a messy transition, to say the least.

Our entire regular group has been having this issue for months now. It's gotten to the point where everybody can almost time it when it's been "too long" and the whole party simultaneously goes "did it fail to load?" and then we have to quit the build.

I hate to say it as I really see many great things about H5 but this party shits itself issue has been going on since MCC. It's not exclusive to Halo either, Destiny has its share of party chat crap outs and game drop-outs for individuals, just less bug total count and frequecy IMO.

as for me, i have videos that show some in-game issues that have been happening lately. lag/rubberband/fps drops/hitches.

that alone has made me not want to play until fixed tbh.

TCKaos

I just got the same thing literally my first fuckin' game after making that latest post @ stinkles. How can 343i not know this is a problem?

Does this help illuminate our daily experience, stinkles?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MyExWlFE/video/26743862

This is what happened to me earlier that night when I just decided to throw in the towel and head to the store. This was happening to me when I was even trying to join your fireteam.

Not to mention this was happening to my dad and my brother when I tried to play with them. We got in maybe ten matches in one night and in three of those one of us didn't load in and I had to walk my dad through what "Quitting the build" was while my brother rightfully complained that a finished product shouldn't have these problems. These are things that happen to us every night we play, in nearly every playlist that we play in on a fairly constant basis, and they've been happening for months now.

now i think about it... this server issue has been around since launch. i think i remember some folk in the eu area having issues like this and just stopped playing all together. now its plaguing the rest of us.

m23

I rather play failed loading screens with a chance of a game than Destiny with its intended 40 loading screens for every action you gonna start.

Nah I joke, I don't play Destiny anymore because it is trash

It's pretty trash. Though I'm stuck playing it because of my friends who want to do the raid.

Getting tired of doing the same strike for the 200th time.

Sordid

now i think about it... this server issue has been around since launch. i think i remember some folk in the eu area having issues like this and just stopped playing all together. now its plaguing the rest of us.

Well over half of my matches in the EU have people eating shots and teleporting around and it's been this way since launch. It's crazy. Every other game I play on PC/Xbone works fine. There was a period starting last February(?) where 343 restricted the server regions and the game played like a dream. Then 343 removed the restrictions because why not? Shockingly, everything turned to shit again. People laud 343's post launch game support but outside of forge it's basically been some mediocre maps and shiny, decorative tat they hope we'll spend real money on collecting. Connection/crashing issues are more prevalent than ever and the latest forge updates have screwed framerates in big team. They rolled back the only fix that actually helped loads of people (region restrictions last year) and added a 'Focused' button that does nothing for most of us. We need real region selection for Halo 6.

Edit: I will admit I don't get many crashes/disconnections though. Just sustained, horrible performance instead.

It sounds like you're describing a bunch of issues and conflating them into one problem. I can't speak to your specific issues and I 100% believe you're experiencing all of them - although soft locking and players failing to load into sessions - you'd need to be specific about where and when. But I can tell you that we continue to monitor and improve, correct or fix issues as we discover them.

Well it happens when I hold the controller upside down and scream XBOX CRASH into my mic while jamming x and left bumper as hard as I can and twist my ethernet cable counterclockwise. I also haven't turned off my Xbox in seven months and keep it on top of my radiator.

Just kidding, these issues are sporadic with no obvious pattern. We would have told you if there was. Players quitting causes the screen to freeze... sometimes, and not for every player in the game (people in the same fireteam report different levels of severity). The only thing of note is that load failures seem to happen much more often for me when I'm in a fireteam (which is almost always with players in the Southwest US- I'm in PA). Playing during peak hours doesn't seem to make a difference.

And I am still playing Mexicans way more often than makes sense (every other WZ match at least), even solo. Again, I am in fucking Pennsylvania. There are probably 200 million Americans closer to me than anybody in Mexico.

Detective

Server issues is due low population. There is no way around it.

People in US are complaining, EU and ME also.

The only time I've had great periode of connections was the first two weeks when the game launched.

After that its just , well BF4 is much better to put it nicely.

In Halo every shot must count, its this one bullet which either keeps you alive or dead. Having your shots not counting is huge problem. Unlike other game where you spray and pray.

So I dont see any solution on the horizon to be honest to this problem.

But other problems should be fixed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well it happens when I hold the controller upside down and scream XBOX CRASH into my mic while jamming x and left bumper as hard as I can and twist my ethernet cable counterclockwise. I also haven't turned off my Xbox in seven months and keep it on top of my radiator.

Just kidding, these issues are sporadic with no obvious pattern. We would have told you if there was. Players quitting causes the screen to freeze... sometimes, and not for every player in the game (people in the same fireteam report different levels of severity). The only thing of note is that load failures seem to happen much more often for me when I'm in a fireteam (which is almost always with players in the Southwest US- I'm in PA). Playing during peak hours doesn't seem to make a difference.

And I am still playing Mexicans way more often than makes sense (every other WZ match at least), even solo. Again, I am in fucking Pennsylvania. There are probably 200 million Americans closer to me than anybody in Mexico.

I'm catching up on this stuff (have been focused on future facing endeavors for months) so don't take my ignorance as a corporate line, and the teams are aware. Some tweaks are coming server side and others are being investigated.

Detective

I'm catching up on this stuff (have been focused on future facing endeavors for months) so don't take my ignorance as a corporate line, and the teams are aware. Some tweaks are coming server side and others are being investigated.

Life saver.
Really hope it comes soon.

Have you checked the video above? Please forward it to your team.

CyReN

Anyway you can fix the HCS? Not sure what's going on since Che left.

I wonder how long and how many people are working on post halo 5 right now. seems like a lot of attention is, like stinkles said, on "future' stuff. aka halo 6.

which leads me to a conclusion that an ultimate fix will never happen. just like mcc. sad, but im ready for that truth. and ill be ready to move onto the next mainline halo too. just the way it is i suppose..

m23

Apparently there is only one map for blitz mode in Halo Wars 2. I find that weird considering they seem like they wanted to push that mode, probably more maps as dlc?

Still extremely excited for the game, just found that odd.

Apparently there is only one map for blitz mode in Halo Wars 2. I find that weird considering they seem like they wanted to push that mode, probably more maps as dlc?

Still extremely excited for the game, just found that odd.
They said it was easier to balance if they could focus on one map, still wish we had a couple more.

So let's talk about actual ranked modes then. The ranking system is decent; however there are some serious flaws to it. There needed to be some sort of rank decay. You could stop playing for months and then come back and still be playing against Onyxes and Champs. However, the biggest issue for me was the lack of rewards. Everyone got the same reward, just some lame ass nameplate the looks the same every month. So what's the point of trying to go higher? The higher you get the longer your que times will be. There really is no reason to give a shit about your rank. Congratulations, you're a Champ. You get the same reward as this Bronze dude, oh and it resets in a month. There's no way for people to even see your rank unless you go through some crappy UI or Waypoint. For instance, in Overwatch you can work on getting golden skins. Better players will get them faster, but everyone who plays rank can still get them. H5 has no ranked incentives whatsoever; the mode is honestly pointless the more I think about it.

Yep, nothing worse than quitting playing even for only a couple days and forgetting how to aim (H5 aiming will never feel natural to me). Then getting hate messages from people after Arena games.

I feel like I have to grind Social Skirmish just to get back to normal, which feels just about the same as ranked and gives less REQ points. Also forcing me to play Orion II multiple times a fucking day which is even worse.

It is pretty sad the only incentive added to the game is small daily login and win packs. Still never got any double REQ weekends.

This game makes me more mad more often than any halo game and maybe any game period. Destiny 2 and rdr2 pls hurry.

you kicked my ass in Skirmish the other day GG

belushy

Banned

Can we also get voice lines for Oddball and KOTH? Some how you guys released a paid DLC voice pack before these ones, wondering if it was a mistake?

Fuchsdh

There is a season pass for campaign and new leaders, but the maps weren't mentioned, so I'm assuming it's free.

Yeah given how pretty much no one played the DLC maps in the original and the fact that it's not mentioned as the season pass stuff I assume they're going to be free as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Paid DLC is such a pain. I would like to get the new Battlefield maps, but i have to get the season pass which coats as much as full game.

Paid DLC is such a pain. I would like to get the new Battlefield maps, but i have to get the season pass which coats as much as full game.
I'd say as far as publishers go EA handles DLC the worst. Mass Effect's DLC hardly ever (if ever) goes on sale and you still have to buy it with Bioware points.

At least Andromeda won't have a season pass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
There is a season pass for campaign and new leaders, but the maps weren't mentioned, so I'm assuming it's free.

Which is fine as new campaign and even new heroes wont divide up a matchmaking community.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The wink is a cry for help.

I read it as sarcasm.

Halo 5, like all halo titles, has its issues. This game is fantastic (my favorite), even if its held back from its full potential by some questionable maps, weapon placement, and admittedly a lot of technical bullshit. I play whenever i can, despite loads of other games (and responsibilities.... shhh, dont tell my wife) and despite the semi frequent crashes, failures to matchmake, and drops mid game. I want this game to be as good as it could be, but at the same time i try to appreciate it for what it is.

Top Bottom