• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Detective

So, I can't find WZ matches on balanced now. And certainly not focused and expanded is unplayable.

What to do?

Even when Am luckey and find a match on focused its unstable on arena.

Seriously, what to do 343?

Detective

Have you tried moving to the East Coast of the United States?

looool

This really made me laugh. And the sad part there is truth to it too.

I've put more than 70 days now. Supported this game since launch, but it's really unplayable now.

Is there some sort update on the horizon?

looool

This really made me laugh. And the sad part there is truth to it too.

I've put more than 70 days now. Supported this game since launch, but it's really unplayable now.

Is there some sort update on the horizon?
Not trying to cast any shade, but it feels like you make these posts frequently. It sucks to be experiencing these issues so often, so perhaps it's time to play Halo 5 less? As sad as it is to say, my tolerance for unbalanced games, quitters, or other nonsense has drastically reduced lately, so there's little hesitation to just jump to Gears, Overwatch, or some other game I'm playing.

There are too many other good games out there to be worrying about the poor experiences in Halo 5. I love the game, but I'm over playing teams of 4, and radar, and BR starts in BTB, and a slew of other things I hope gets changed for Halo 6. Still trying to help with Achilles by jumping into Warzone and BTB, but the Halo drive has certainly plunged, especially when things like the aiming inconsistencies are shown. So many issues that dampen the enjoyment ;'[

Nah 343 should helm a Shadowrun reboot (minus the Shadowrun names and stuff....)

I actually wouldn't want 343i to do a Fable reboot. We need a British studio. Playground Games would be my pick, or a new studio. Not Rare...

If 343i took on another IP, Perfect Dark would be neat.

Detective

Not trying to cast any shade, but it feels like you make these posts frequently. It sucks to be experiencing these issues so often, so perhaps it's time to play Halo 5 less? As sad as it is to say, my tolerance for unbalanced games, quitters, or other nonsense has drastically reduced lately, so there's little hesitation to just jump to Gears, Overwatch, or some other game I'm playing.

There are too many other good games out there to be worrying about the poor experiences in Halo 5. I love the game, but I'm over playing teams of 4, and radar, and BR starts in BTB, and a slew of other things I hope gets changed for Halo 6. Still trying to help with Achilles by jumping into Warzone and BTB, but the Halo drive has certainly plunged, especially when things like the aiming inconsistencies are shown. So many issues that dampen the enjoyment ;'[

I play 90% only Halo.
There are issues and I come here to communicate.

Do you know how hard it is to open a stream and see the game plays beautifully and I with killer connection can't enjoy that?

These server issues drove all my friends away, only few remains now. What can I say, I love playing it.

So for me to live far away from the server should suffer? Is that fair?

And your solution is to quit playing Halo?

Did it not occure to you why have I been playing it all the time when I also report having these frequent problems as you describe them?

I'm trying to say that Halo sucks and it's time to move on, especially when it's causing you so much frustration. Game is clearly dad. Franchise is dad. Xbone is dad. In fact, we're all already dad.

Detective

I'm trying to say that Halo sucks and it's time to move on, especially when it's causing you so much frustration. Game is clearly dad. Franchise is dad. Xbone is dad. In fact, we're all already dad.

Please, I would appreciate it if you gave a proper response. Seriously. That's right there is...well

I don't know what you implying here..

Please, I would appreciate it if you gave a proper response. Seriously. That's right there is...well

I don't know what you implying here..
I'm simply saying that if you're seeing so many problems, maybe consider playing it less because it's clearly a big source of frustration for you. It doesn't seem like there's much that'll be changed with Halo 5, so perhaps don't invest as much time into it if you're seeing this high frequency of issues?

I don't know what you thought I was saying, but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I too have been putting less time into Halo because of the many issues people complain about, so I was suggesting the same for you.

Detective

I'm simply saying that if you're seeing so many problems, maybe consider playing it less because it's clearly a big source of frustration for you. It doesn't seem like there's much that'll be changed with Halo 5, so perhaps don't invest as much time into it if you're seeing this high frequency of issues?

I don't know what you thought I was saying, but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. I too have been putting less time into Halo because of the many issues people complain about, so I was suggesting the same for you.

That's sad :/

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciate it bro.
Hope there will be some update or fixes until Halo 6 comes out.

belushy

Banned
I actually wouldn't want 343i to do a Fable reboot. We need a British studio. Playground Games would be my pick, or a new studio. Not Rare...

If 343i took on another IP, Perfect Dark would be neat.

I feel like their ideas for crazy abilities would actually be neat in a game like the 360 Shadowrun. Perfect Dark would also be cool.

Not sure much of you care, but I can't wait for Halo 2 Anniversary campaign on Scorpio. The visual flair adds a lot to the game, but the resolution and framerate were suspect at times.

clav

Not sure much of you care, but I can't wait for Halo 2 Anniversary campaign on Scorpio. The visual flair adds a lot to the game, but the resolution and framerate were suspect at times.

If MCC is ever patched again, they should add an audio toggle for music.

New soundtrack destroys the new visual experience.

I'd rather listen to the old one.

I like some of the new tunes...but yeah you are totally right in a lot of ways. The problem with the new approach to the tracks is they lack the subtlety and nuance (volume, attack, texture, etc) of the original compositions and therefore lose a lot of it's emotional drive and feeling. It sounds very mechanical--like a cover band (which is it is).

I remember on my H2A playthroughs I would frequently change back to classic graphics just to satisfy my ears and emotions.

Masterz1337

Neo Member

They'd have to fix the original games audio first... The original music can be barely audible at times when it use to be booming in the original and in anniversary mode. http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Masterz1337/video/29328625

I had the opportunity to attend a keynote by Tom Salta back in January where he went into some detail about his experience working on Halo titles. He didn't have any of the original sheet music for either of the anniversary games and had to reconstruct everything on his own. While I do enjoy his music, I don't think it's really possible to enjoy his remasters for what they are, when they are meant to directly be compared to the original which people have heard for 10+ years now.

His original work for Fall of Reach, Halo Online, Spartan Strike and Assault as well as the announcement trailer music for MCC I think are very nice, and sound more "Halo" than H4 or H5's. But then again H4 tries to have it's own style to it's music and doesn't try to fit in Marty and Michael's music either.

They'd have to fix the original games audio first... The original music can be barely audible at times when it use to be booming in the original and in anniversary mode. http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Masterz1337/video/29328625

I had the opportunity to attend a keynote by Tom Salta back in January where he went into some detail about his experience working on Halo titles. He didn't have any of the original sheet music for either of the anniversary games and had to reconstruct everything on his own. While I do enjoy his music, I don't think it's really possible to enjoy his remasters for what they are, when they are meant to directly be compared to the original which people have heard for 10+ years now.

His original work for Fall of Reach, Halo Online, Spartan Strike and Assault as well as the announcement trailer music for MCC I think are very nice, and sound more "Halo" than H4 or H5's. But then again H4 tries to have it's own style to it's music and doesn't try to fit in Marty and Michael's music either.

Huh... Interesting, thanks for sharing. Didn't know this. And yeah I was wondering about the volume... Geez it sucks that the MCC is not the definitive place to experience those games.

Playing MCC / H2A I noticed the balancing of the sounds had been adjusted, like in H2A / original H2 MP the ambient map sounds are considerably more audible than they were in the original. I have to imagine part of the reason for this is that the original tracks as well as the remasters run off of a single "music" volume slider, essentially, and now that all of the audio can be played at a considerably higher bitrate than on the original Xbox, it's not as loud as it used to be because there's nowhere near as much compression available to amplify it.

Well, that, and there's probably some other minute factors at play, like the new stuff accounting for surround sound, and production / equalization for this type of stuff being way better in general. Marty was squeezing blood out of a rock using some of those soundfonts and samples.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Liquid and optic are streaming pg radar, no ar. But it's actually not what you think, lethul, snakebite, rayne, and eco vs royal 2, froaty, penguin, and stellur. Pretty entertaining back and forth so far.

Not to complain just to complain... But I have a great connection with open NAT and my friends and I have terrible hit reg half of our matches. It's really killing the fun.

We also get booted from games randomly.

clav

Geez it sucks that the MCC is not the definitive place to experience those games.

I also noticed Halo 1 is missing all the rumble features that made the OG Xbox version superior.

Other GAFers have posted about graphic assets missing as well since this is a PC port.

I've heard his work for Killer Instinct Season 3 which initially sounded OK, but like you said, his arrangements don't really work in-game. Reminds me when Mick Gordon did Riptor music for KI, and that felt really off. It's fine to listen as a music track.

I guess for what he had, that is impressive since he didn't even contact Marty as Marty was working for Bungie.

Choir feels flat or out of tune. Something might be wrong with my ears, but it didn't sound in key like some people didn't get enough sleep or something. Still very disappointed to this day how this collection turned out.

Trup1aya

Im kind of annoyed that 1.5 years of data and the best they can do is cut weapons from a playlist instead of giving them the balancing tweaks they deserve.

This sandbox team / mp team split seems to cause a bottleneck for progress that other competitive games dont deal with. The mp team can see that weapons are broken, but are powerless to make the actual changes necessary, so they just cut them.

Meanwhile, outside of a minor improvement to the sniper, the sandbox team hasn't done shit to improve Arena weapons balancing since launch. Infact plasma caster and hydra tweaks have made those weapons WORSE for competitive. Compare this to any other game with a esports scene and 343 looks downright unresponsive.

jem0208

Why? Cuz you can't sprint around the map and get away with it?

;)

I like it a lot lol I don't play it much, but it's fun.

For the exact opposite reason actually. It's pretty much entirely cross mapping from people you can't see and spawn killing. Plays like shit.

Im kind of annoyed that 1.5 years of data and the best they can do is cut weapons from a playlist instead of giving them the balancing tweaks they deserve.

This sandbox team / mp team split seems to cause a bottleneck for progress that other competitive games dont deal with. The mp team can see that weapons are broken, but are powerless to make the actual changes necessary, so they just cut them.

Meanwhile, outside of a minor improvement to the sniper, the sandbox team hasn't done shit to improve Arena weapons balancing since launch. Infact plasma caster and hydra tweaks have made those weapons WORSE for competitive. Compare this to any other game with a esports scene and 343 looks downright unresponsive.
Nerf autos and you get the entire casual community raging. The competitive fans aren't the only ones which matter.

Nerf autos and you get the entire casual community raging. The competitive fans aren't the only ones which matter.

This is why I think classic MLG settings did things better. It was always fairly straightforward and simple.

Start with one utility weapon that is the most important skill in the game.
You have one power weapon and maybe a power up on the map.
No radar so only pure skill of audio queues, communication, and map awareness are in play.

While your at it 343--may you please get rid of those stupid grenade hitmarkers. PLEASE.

That was competitive Halo at its core for years and years. The devs trying to include a myriad of weapons and features they developed for the game just seems like a desperate attempt to give everything a smart purpose in and out of competitive play for the sake of meaningless variety. The simple core that they have provides the competitive variety we crave. There is nothing wrong with a streamlined simple experience. There's a reason people use to 1v1 or Octagon for hours in Halo....because the skill of reading your opponents, aiming, strafing, dodging, etc is pure fun and raw skill that can take hours and hours to develop.

I'm sick of 343's approach to this. Separate the communities entirely. It was just fine before. Don't piss off or compromise both clearly different sets of players and communities.

Top Bottom