• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

While I'm not entirely opposed to those ideas, thinking about it from the disadvantages...

That's good for discussion!

Map-specific REQs also sound it would dampen one of the fun parts of the Warzone experience, which is to be able to call in REQs specifically to your play style. If you want to run a bunch of Warthogs early to lock down the map, you can. If you want to sit back and wait for tanks or Banshees, you can. More importantly, you can call in counter REQs. In your scenario, what the does the team which has lost the vehicle REQ area do against those vehicles if they can't get access to vehicles or heavy weapons of their own?

I wasn't clear on this. A teams ability to call in reqs of their choosing wouldn't change. What I would do is reward teams in a map specific way for controlling certain bases.

So perhaps a team that controlled the garage would get a Req energy discount on calling in ground vehicles. Or, if they had the proper req level, they could call in certain vehicles without losing the card from their deck.

So controlling the ground vehicle base, would give one team an advatage on the ground. The other team could still call in counter reqs that are in their req collection. Or they could capture the hanger and counter with an air advantage.

I'd have different bases with different themes and perks on each map, adding variety. It would also help people who don't have massive collections to be productive members of their teams.

While I can see reducing the point values for base captures, I don't think it's a major issue right now. I have been in plenty of games where we have more control but the enemy team outslays. In those instances the only real advantage is some bases offer easy access to the WZ bosses (or in some cases, basically lock the other team out of the boss areas) so the incentive to still camp and control those areas will remain, even if there isn't a point value added over time.

I think scoring method is the issue- it's just indirect. The enemy spawning system compounds the issue. If you took bosses off the map, people's behavior would remain the same. If you took base control out of the game, players would be all over the map.

I think Warzone needs refinement, not revolution; if they want to make a Battlefront/Battlefield-like game at that point, it probably should be a spinoff title. As it is currently, I appreciate that Warzone just feels like BTB on steroids with metaobjectives.
I think the difference between a refinement and a revolution is hard to define given that the mode is so young. I think what I'm suggesting is a refinement actually. I really don't think Warzone feels like BTB at all, personally.

Mostly I just think aside from balance issues (hey, the Banshee! Wasps hiding in places you can't hit!) maps need refinements more than anything else. There should always be a third way to get out of your home base, for instance.

Well yeah- it shouldn't be so easy to trap someone in their base.... and we shouldn't be recycling the same bases over and over again.

Tomash

Has the team matching fix dropped yet? Also does the team matching fix apply only to ranked arena? Social 4's? BTB?

Q: For the Party Restrictions part, is that only going to be for ranked playlists? What about BTB? If I'm in a party of 8 in BTB, will we get priority to match another party of 8 in BTB?

A: Probably. It'll be pretty configurable. In 8v8 I'll probably have to make it stricter than 4v4, as in, it'll wait longer for full vs. full.

Also, beware:

The system is flexible on these points. Most playlists will probably have full parties try and find other full parties for around some period of time. After that, it will give up and allow them to play vs. non-full parties for players that have either:
Not selected "Focused" OR
Waited just as long as the party
This does mean full parties can get worse matches than before because by the time it gives up on finding a full party, that full party will accept a wider skill gap than before.

Madness

Can't say I am feeling any difference on my TV, will try my monitor next

Would be hilarious if they never really changed anything but sent out this 'update' to measure the placebo effect and everyone is like oh damn, my aim is so much better etc.

And no I am not saying there isn't heavy aim.

Karl2177

Marty's seduction techniques could use some work so he flaunts his body a lot. One thing I wish I'd stayed for was to finish Reach. I wrote the story and script for that with Lee Wilson and Marcus, and although it's almost exactly the same in the shipping version, there's some things I'd have wanted to alter a little.
Don't suppose you'd want to go into detail about what you'd change.

Re: Warzone gobbling up resources

If Warzone is going to be in Halo 6, which idk why you would doubt that after H5, it's going to take up just as much time. That's why I wouldn't expect a vast amount of maps to cover all the modes people want. Unless they rethink Warzone to double as BTB maps, I can't imagine there will be enough maps to quench the thirst over Warzone, WZA, BTB, competitive Arena 4v4s, and casual Arena 4v4s (potentially asymmetrical maps for one-sided objectives), let alone any other new modes like Breakout.
Kat's death in Reach, Requiem's death in Halo 4,
BTB's death in Halo 5.
Stinkles The Grim Reaper.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Literally just a little more focus on the civilian life of Reach (including the scientists) and I originally had a little more backstory on the
unexpected assassination of one of the Spartans
and some story on the effects that had on the team and atmosphere.

One game in. I'm not as squirrely but I'll try some more. Usually I end up over aiming but that game I stayed on aim.

I'll give more impressions soon.

Aiming feels better now I intermediately felt it, I have played with my PC monitor and even using my capture card preview window (which adds input lag) and the aiming indeed is more fluid now, good job Stinkles and the rest of the team @ 343 Industries!

iUsIjoV.png

;)

Trup1aya

Literally just a little more focus on the civilian life of Reach (including the scientists) and I originally had a little more backstory on the
unexpected assassination of one of the Spartans
and some story on the effects that had on the team and atmosphere.

Sounds awesome. Reach's campaign was awesome anyway, but more civilian stuff is always welcome in my book.

It's one thing I wish we saw more of in H2 and 3 as well.

I'd love for them to revisit Reach and the Spartan-II program some day. Maybe in like 10 years once enough time has passed for it to feel nostalgic again.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So this is what the kids call a sens crisis?

It may be my week off, honestly don't think so, but this feels much snappier. I'm not someone that picked up on heavy aim either.

I'd love for them to revisit Reach and the Spartan-II program some day. Maybe in like 10 years once enough time has passed for it to feel nostalgic again.

When the Halo Television Series was announced my dream for the story was pretty much all of the Fall of Reach novel but expanded everything since the rapture of the Spartan IIs, the insurrectionists, the human covenant war etc with the Master Chief and Blue team as protagonists ending exactly in the opening cutscene of Halo CE, I wanted to see something like Stargate SG1 but on the Halo universe

Trup1aya

When the Halo Television Series was announced my dream for the story was pretty much all of the Fall of Reach novel but expanded everything since the rapture of the Spartan IIs, the insurrectionists, the human covenant war etc with the Master Chief and Blue team as protagonists ending exactly in the opening cutscene of Halo CE, I wanted to see something like Stargate SG1 but on the Halo universe

The Fall of Reach would make an amazing TV series.

They'd also have free reign to show many more of the young Spartan II missions over the years the book didn't show.

BizzyBum

Okay, some maps in that Ghost of the Shell community slayer had pretty bad heavy aim and now it seems after the patch it's gone so they did something, at least it's more noticeable on certain maps (probably Forge related)

Okay, some maps in that Ghost of the Shell community slayer had pretty bad heavy aim and now it seems after the patch it's gone so they did something, at least it's more noticeable on certain maps (probably Forge related)

i'm just playing team arena and it's a significant difference.

playing on a benq gaming monitor as well [nearly 0ms input lag], so it was super apparent as soon as i moved my thumbstick the first time.

i haven't tried on my tv in the house yet, but i'm sure that'll still feel like shit anyway [tons of input lag, not even worth gaming on].

Sai

... Was the bug actually map-dependant?

I've tried to recreate the instances where the drag felt most common. Seems much better on the diagonal sweeps.

Sai

I'd be happy if they just brought Reach to MCC/Xbox One in 60 frames.
This is something I'd appreciate far more than the Halo 3 remaster everybody's begging for(unnecessary, IMO). There's something about Reach's visuals that make it very difficult to watch and play coming from Halo 5. I'm fine with Halo 3 at 30fps, but Reach is a legit struggle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is something I'd appreciate far more than the Halo 3 remaster everybody's begging for(unnecessary, IMO). There's something about Reach's visuals that make it very difficult to watch and play coming from Halo 5. I'm fine with Halo 3 at 30fps, but Reach is a legit struggle.

You mean other than bloom?

Fuchsdh

The Fall of Reach would make an amazing TV series.

They'd also have free reign to show many more of the young Spartan II missions over the years the book didn't show.

At this point though we've gotten the comic and the mostly superfluous (and technically not-quite-canon) TV series. I don't think even if they're gonna' add stuff it makes sense to continually retread the book.

Its temporal motion blur wasn't really that great even when it came out. It's definitely aged poorly in that regard (but then again, it doesn't have Halo 3's derpy faces. Win some, lose some.)

Trup1aya

At this point though we've gotten the comic and the mostly superfluous (and technically not-quite-canon) TV series. I don't think even if they're gonna' add stuff it makes sense to continually retread the book.

Those are things we've gotten. But I imagine a TV show would be aimed at a much larger audience. Most people haven't consumed any of this stuff.

Just what I wanted too. I find it hard to believe that TV series is even in production anymore. Too many signs point to "no" in the magic 8-ball e.g. MS closed the crap out of their media company/ambitions and it was announced on May 21, 2013. Yeah.

Here's the history in reverse:

Spencer says it's still alive (4 Aug 2016)

Showtime boss David Nevins confirmed the TV show was in "very active development." (17th Aug 2015)

Xbox Entertainment Studios closes (29 Oct 2014)

Even if still active this series is FUBAR or Spielberg is avoiding the shit out of it priority wise. Come on 4 years with Showtime/Spielberg and not even a trailer? Missed the boat IMO. Shit give it to Blur and Netflix backing it already. It was clearly part of the old guard Xbox One launch craptacular. As for it respawning harder, faster and stronger...well that isn't even a red blip on the radar IMO.

klaus

Aim definitely improved massively with the update. If 343i can also fix the matchmaking, this will be the best Halo of them all imo.

PS: I'm very sensitive to framerate / timing issues and have been playing FPS games since Midi Maze - thank FUCK that H5 finally has proper aiming :)

lol the update is stuck at 7%. What's with these servers. I also can't properly pause/resume installations. It just stays there at "updating" without listening to my inputs.

>.<

Top Bottom