• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

NOKYARD

Sounds good, might reinstall Halo 5 for this. I'm hoping it's met with a lot of positive reception from the player base, however I think a lot of people who would be excited for this have moved on by now.

I have a feeling the first weekend will see a lot of players running into old friends, like we did during a DXP Weekend.

BizzyBum

The H3 Classic Playlist is going to be, by far, the best forge playlist ever assembled. All previous forge playlists have followed the same protocol: Find a map, work with the individual builders in secret to get it up to MM standards, publish the playlist.

This time builders have access to teams of forgers (Art/Lighting team, Perf team, Script team) as well as constant full and direct 2-way communications with 343i's sustain and test departments, and assistance from dozens of other forgers who are very passionate about Halo 3. Maps are being fine tuned to include all original geometry, jumps, and sight lines, and certain design elements are being standardized across the board.

It's a shame this playlist has to carry the weight of a community disappointed by not getting the H3 treatment they were expecting. The people who should be celebrating the fact that we're finally getting the often-requested a no-Spartain Abilities playlist are already shitting all over it because they wanted H3A.

Can't wait for this, just sad we won't see it for another couple months though.

The H3 Classic Playlist is going to be, by far, the best forge playlist ever assembled. All previous forge playlists have followed the same protocol: Find a map, work with the individual builders in secret to get it up to MM standards, publish the playlist.

This time builders have access to teams of forgers (Art/Lighting team, Perf team, Script team) as well as constant full and direct 2-way communications with 343i's sustain and test departments, and assistance from dozens of other forgers who are very passionate about Halo 3. Maps are being fine tuned to include all original geometry, jumps, and sight lines, and certain design elements are being standardized across the board.

It's a shame this playlist has to carry the weight of a community disappointed by not getting the H3 treatment they were expecting. The people who should be celebrating the fact that we're finally getting the often-requested a no-Spartain Abilities playlist are already shitting all over it because they wanted H3A.

My god... a logical workflow? This sounds too competent to be true.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Sounds awesome. But I'm a guy that thought h3a was silly in light of a 1080p 60 fps mcc version.

Love the studio working with the community and utilising such an amazing Forge system too. Kudos. Now with that said one can still ask the question with all those resources in play why not just design and develop the maps for real?

Maps from like 4 games ago should not be this insane investment to create. You'd think a primary goal this far along would be to reduce time and effort requirements so maps from 10 years ago with way less size and complexity could actually be churned out with great Dev quality.

I'll love what's being produced and it sounds like even the gametypes are being developed too. I'll be disappointed if 1 flag and 1 bomb ain't there though.

brMEHY1.png

I have a feeling the first weekend will see a lot of players running into old friends, like we did during a DXP Weekend.

I hope so, I don't think it would be a problem if Halo 5 wasn't ~100GB to install... I mean I only have 15GB left, so I'm gonna have to delete a lot (unless I get an external hard drive by then).

NOKYARD

The minute they mentioned inviting all the builders and forge teams into a Discord group i flicked of my mic and screamed "YES!!!" the required 3 times.

Love the studio working with the community and utilising such an amazing Forge system too. Kudos. Now with that said one can still ask the question with all those resources in play why not just design and develop the maps for real?

The resources are 4 staff members, and (i assume) weekly bookings of a test lab. Dev maps, even remakes, would pull way too many departments away from current projects. You know they might be building another game, right?

Trup1aya

I'll probably jump in back in for this. I really wasn't a huge fan H3, so I don't really feel burned by a lack of H3A. Also the constant denials from 343 kept my expectations in check.

Getting to see the results of some top forgers using a professional workflow is intriguing to me. And I look forward to getting Spartan Ability free playlist in MM.

FyreWulff

The minute they mentioned inviting all the builders and forge teams into a Discord group i flicked of my mic and screamed "YES!!!" the required 3 times.

The resources are 4 staff members, and (i assume) weekly bookings of a test lab. Dev maps, even remakes, would pull way too many departments away from current projects. You know they might be building another game, right?

about damn time (check skype)

TCKaos

I'm really happy to hear that this level of communication is happening. Hopefully we can get that kind of discourse between the community content creators and the implementation crew on the sustain team.

I'm sure you can't really share details, but should we expect big or small maps? I only ask because, well, we've already got Valhalla and Stand-Off in matchmaking, so I assume they won't be making the cut, and they're kind of quintessential Halo 3 experiences.

I'm really happy to hear that this level of communication is happening. Hopefully we can get that kind of discourse between the community content creators and the implementation crew on the sustain team.

I'm sure you can't really share details, but should we expect big or small maps? I only ask because, well, we've already got Valhalla and Stand-Off in matchmaking, so I assume they won't be making the cut, and they're kind of quintessential Halo 3 experiences.

Nok mentioned needing to update Avalanche for the playlist.

And I'm not trashing on the playlist its self, I'm sure the maps will be well crafted. I just feel there's a missed opportunity for H3A, people argue diminishing returns but look at the CoD remaster, it looks significantly better than the 2007 version. The One X and a PC release would further widen the gap between Halo 3 and a hypothetical H3A. Then factor in Blur cinematics and it could have been a great package.

In summary, Halo 3 elitists are the worst.
And Fata1moose.

Yeah I agree how do they stand that BR--Hey fight me!

Trup1aya

Wow I didn't remember the H5 Beta being so pretty!
https://mobile.twitter.com/latenighthalo/status/883369598384566275

The final game looks to have toned down the lighting and effects in order to approach 1080p.

I actually hated the lighting in the beta, from a gameplay perspective, but it did look damn good.

Halo 3 in Halo 5 could end up being better than Halo 3 itself.

That's actually what I'm thinking. My main concern is the h5br. It's made to contend with all the bs Spartan Abilities introduce.

It would be neat if they introduced a h3br- ish weapon- projectile, with h3brs range and assists but with a static spread instead of a random one. This would actually improve h3s mp imo

belushy

Banned
Just make it exaclty like H3 but with the pistol instead of the br. Cant replicate the shitty h3 br in h5 with anything.

Oh and remember guys we still have grenade hitmarkers. Thatll make Guardian fun right

JlNX

The final game looks to have toned down the lighting and effects in order to approach 1080p.

I actually hated the lighting in the beta, from a gameplay perspective, but it did look damn good.

A lot of it was toned down due to pro feedback and the community complaining about it affecting gameplay. I can understand not wanting that in a competitive arena shooter that is designed for esports. But god damn was it pretty, but to be fair texture quality, resolution and a lock 60fps were all improvements from the beta.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I definitely expect the h3 playlist to be br starts, which will suck.

Trup1aya

A lot of it was toned down due to pro feedback and the community complaining about it affecting gameplay. I can understand not wanting that in a competitive arena shooter that is designed for esports. But god damn was it pretty, but to be fair texture quality, resolution and a lock 60fps were all improvements from the beta.

Yeah I know why it was toned down. Definately the right call for gameplay. But it damn it was a looker. I never really realized it until seeing these clips

That's actually what I'm thinking. My main concern is the h5br. It's made to contend with all the bs Spartan Abilities introduce.

It would be neat if they introduced a h3br- ish weapon- projectile, with h3brs range and assists but with a static spread instead of a random one. This would actually improve h3s mp imo

Oh yeah, I forgot how gorgeous the Beta's lighting was.

NOKYARD

I definitely expect the h3 playlist to be br starts, which will suck.

Not yet decided.

H2 BRs are being swapped out for H5 Classic Scope with reduced timers as map pickups. This is a trend for many MM maps i believe. H2 BRs were removed from Deadlock long ago.

FyreWulff

This is maybe the funniest indictment of the H3BR ever tbh. You gotta WORK to make a gun that bad.

It was completely different on LAN.

But that was pretty much true of all the Halo games. LAN play felt like a completely different game than online. Like half of my strats that depended on online latency to help me out just completely useless in LAN, but the upside is some weapons are way more buffed and some mechanics are 100% reliable.

When I was running the Halo 3 PAX LANs with an enforcer back in the day, it was just beautiful to see BTB sized games with zero latency whatsoever. i believe i still have one of the PAX game films on my H3 fileshare

edit: yeah it's this one. i should throw it on youtube since silverlight is ded

http://halo.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=105038604

edit there we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR_IdxY6lE&feature=youtu.be

lookit that. 16 people, no rewinding, realtime physics.. sogood

It was completely different on LAN.

But that was pretty much true of all the Halo games. LAN play felt like a completely different game than online. Like half of my strats that depended on online latency to help me out just completely useless in LAN, but the upside is some weapons are way more buffed and some mechanics are 100% reliable.

When I was running the Halo 3 PAX LANs with an enforcer back in the day, it was just beautiful to see BTB sized games with zero latency whatsoever. i believe i still have one of the PAX game films on my H3 fileshare

edit: yeah it's this one. i should throw it on youtube since silverlight is ded

http://halo.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=105038604

edit there we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR_IdxY6lE&feature=youtu.be

lookit that. 16 people, no rewinding, realtime physics.. sogood

I dunno, there seems to be a pretty bad bottleneck somewhere between the screen and the player inputs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a Calgary Vs Toronto mini Halo tourney at our respective MS stores and just got wrecked, lol. It's generally not going to go well when you are playing guys who have played 5000 more matches.... Plus I'm not very good. :p

Rtas

Sigh, with another season comes the inevitable placement matches where I somehow end up with the dregs of the swat community. I've played 4 placement matches now where I am the only person on my team to break double digit kills.

Christ my last match I had 22 kills for 3 deaths and the next guy on the team had 4 kills for 26 deaths.

Not only that but I've been matched twice now against full onyx ranked teams.

BizzyBum

Sigh, with another season comes the inevitable placement matches where I somehow end up with the dregs of the swat community. I've played 4 placement matches now where I am the only person on my team to break double digit kills.

Christ my last match I had 22 kills for 3 deaths and the next guy on the team had 4 kills for 26 deaths.

Not only that but I've been matched twice now against full onyx ranked teams.

swat community.

I found your problem.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Had a Calgary Vs Toronto mini Halo tourney at our respective MS stores and just got wrecked, lol. It's generally not going to go well when you are playing guys who have played 5000 more matches.... Plus I'm not very good. :p

Are you from the Calgary store? I know a bunch of the folks in the Toronto store and they're super hardcore.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you from the Calgary store? I know a bunch of the folks in the Toronto store and they're super hardcore.

Yeah the Calgary store. The guys from TO were no joke. Still had fun though. Our team didn't really get to practice much. Plus we were the B team. Got to grind more, but at my age my skill level likely won't change too much.

Its fun going to the events at the store and play against locals.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah the Calgary store. The guys from TO were no joke. Still had fun though. Our team didn't really get to practice much. Plus we were the B team. Got to grind more, but at my age my skill level likely won't change too much.

Its fun going to the events at the store and play against locals.

As long as you're having fun. I miss playing with a full team, that was the best.

The MS Store here in UVillage just held an event on Sunday that we partnered with them on. It was awesome to see all of the players exchanging numbers, as well as parents bringing their kids out to play. Super cool.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom