• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Juan

My son (4yo) bought $20 in gold req packs. Ive since added a pass code. Stinkles, you're welcome.

lol.

Did he get something cool at least?

I don't know how to feel about this. We've heard so many stories about kids buying stuff online. Microtransactions are such a misleading thing.

I wonder if the kids born with this game setting in mind will be high wales and good consumers when I will make game and maybe put MT in there. ��

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol.

I don't know how to feel about this. We've heard so many stories about kids buying stuff online. Microtransactions are such a misleading thing.

I wonder if the kids born with this game setting in mind will be high wales and good consumers when I will make game and maybe put MT in there. ��

I have everything unlocked and dont play warzone. Gifted them all. At least he accidentally bought something that supports developers and a game I love. It would be worse if he bought some random shit game for $20

Trup1aya

So a friend just sent me this lol:

Interesting glitch. Last played 9/1/2014, eh?

If a competent driver gets a Bubble Shield too, it's all over.

Curious to see how they'll change it. I'd rather they test a projectile 2x zoom 4sk Pistol as the starting weapon over the BR.

I agree 1000%, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon

My son (4yo) bought $20 in gold req packs. Ive since added a pass code. Stinkles, you're welcome.
keikaku.jpg

BizzyBum

Hard pass on BR starts in Team Arena

It's not as terrible as I originally imagined it would be, but I can see a dominant team just suffocating other lesser teams or pugs with these current settings, especially if they control the spawns. I also can't stand all the awful weapon placements on maps again after getting used to HCS. Truth is back to being horrendous with splinters, Carbine, SR, Fuel Rod, and Sword all back.

But all this shit is going to change in a week so no reason to really complain about it. It will be interesting how they nerf the BR and if that makes it more fun to start with one. HCS still has vastly superior settings.

edit: annnnd I'm playing CTF Torque and Strongholds Stasis. Forgot these maps existed. lol

E92 M3

I'm downloading Halo 5 just to give the new update a try when it will be release, and I discover the game is 3Go heavier than before?!

they added 3Go of data just to do a balance update, and it adds to the exiting game 97Go and it's now 99,8Go?!

Really, I don't know how they are handling their files and data, but oh my god this is terrible, how is this even possible?!

Just saw you post in the D2 OT E92. Like, really? I thought it was boring as hell and the only good thing was the Almighty level and the scenery you get when you get to the final level.

Since you want to bring up D2 here, I'll bite. Reach was my favorite Bungie campaign and D2 is now number 1.

It was about 1000 times better than H5. 343 has a lot of work to do to catch up to Bungie's campaign prowess.

jem0208

Since you want to bring up D2 here, I'll bite. Reach was my favorite Bungie campaign and D2 is now number 1.

It was about 1000 times better than H5. 343 has a lot of work to do to catch up to Bungie's campaign prowess.
Reach was your favourite Bungie campaign?

Reach?

I thought Reach's campaign was the worst in the series. Certain levels on Halo 2 were worse but at least H2 also had a few good levels.

Reach had a few good moments, flying into space, Jorge's sendoff, the end... But actually playing it was just boring. I think it was the level design, the play spaces just weren't all that interesting.

Ade

There seems to be a correlation of people who liked the Reach Campaign liking the D2 Campaign.

Its felt visually and audibly similar so far imo too.

There seems to be a correlation of people who liked the Reach Campaign liking the D2 Campaign.

Its felt visually and audibly similar so far imo too.

I havent played a lot of D2 yet (maybe 5 hours) and i got no Reach vibes. I dunno how someone can get Reach vibes considering its more structured like ODST then it is reach.

Gamers be an inconsistent bunch talking about shared experiences with very different feelings and reference points.

Reach was good (i love them all, hey) but after 3 I was on a high it didn't quite catch.

Nowise10

Just gonna post my semi annual post here to say Reach is the best Halo campaign.

Okay Halo 3 may be better but its still really good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lol.

I did! I got ceramic lifts for my Audioquest K2 speaker cables!

Oh. You mean his son...

Cranster

Banned
I found Halo 3 and Reach to be disapointing overall as the story and writing for both games were not as good as Halo 1 and Halo 2.

E92 M3

Reach was your favourite Bungie campaign?

Reach?

I thought Reach's campaign was the worst in the series. Certain levels on Halo 2 were worse but at least H2 also had a few good levels.

Reach had a few good moments, flying into space, Jorge's sendoff, the end... But actually playing it was just boring. I think it was the level design, the play spaces just weren't all that interesting.

I loved the slow decline into chaos and thought Reach was beautifully paced. D2 gave me strong Reach vibes - which I loved.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, but worse somehow. Reqs were so successful that they are going to double down.

I think they know they found the perfect ground and going over would just make people angry, Why mess with a good thing kinda deal, so I think it will stay the same, just with more things to unlock

jem0208

I think they might add the ability to buy specific customization unlocks. There was a fair amount of complaints regarding only being able to unlock armour etc. via packs.

wwm0nkey

I think they might add the ability to buy specific customization unlocks. There was a fair amount of complaints regarding only being able to unlock armour etc. via packs.

They will probably do this + actually split up armor sets (arms, legs, under suits, etc)

Fuchsdh

I think they know they found the perfect ground and going over would just make people angry, Why mess with a good thing kinda deal, so I think it will stay the same, just with more things to unlock

We hope, but corporations are greedy. Still, they could improve the REQ system in a way that doesn't inherently require people to pay in like they do now and make it more attractive to micro transactions just by being a better system (more customization, etc.) in which case it's a win-win for everyone (except the whales.)

Juan

Listening (well, reading) to you all about MT for the next Halo is the most frightening thing I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of shit in my life.

But I guess it's okay as long as we don't have to rely on MT to unlock specific stuff.

Well, I guess we all have different tastes around there. Destiny 2 campaign had a good introduction, but man, the rest was just boring as hell, campaign really isn't where Destiny gameplay shines to me.

Those parts with the tank, oh my god, it may have been the weakest thing Bungie ever did when doing vehicular gameplay on a game.

Sure, Halo 5 campaign has its flaws, and I would say that's the one I enjoyed the less (I would even say I didn't enjoy it at all), so sure, comparing D2 to Halo 5, it's clear I would prefer D2, but man, the CG cinematics with Ghaul were just him talking for nothing, it didn't go deep into the lore, it has just scratched the surface and it wasn't as deep as Halo CE, or Halo 2 was.

But the encounters design D2 wasn't interesting, the IA wasn't challenging in term of quality and was only effective when outnumbering you, which isn't fun at all to me, and
the final boss, Ghaul, was a pure joke, even worst than Tartarus.

At least, Bungie tell simple things through simple gameplay. I guess this is better than what we got with Halo 5. But I was still disappointed with D2 campaign (even if I would say the last level was truly amazing, and so was the scenery)

------ Back to Halo 5 ------

So, I just played some game with the new starting weapons on the Arena. I already knew this, but I don't like the BR. I don't really know why, but it's just not my thing. I can't say if it's OP, I don't really thought it was, but I'm not an expert for this.

But man, I LOVE the gunfighter magnum. It is the exact same pistol we got during the Halo 5 Beta, and it's perfect, I don't need anything else in this game.

The gunfighter magnum has a really fast rate of fire, really accurate, the reload & switch animation is like 5/10 frames, and it's good at close and mid range. I only play with this weapon and I ditch the BR as soon as I can.

I style don't like Halo 5 MP, but at least, the gunfighter magnum is a breath of fresh air, and I like it so far! Now I will have to enjoy it before it got nerfed next week I guess haha.

Karl2177

Arena should start with AR/Pistol and BTB should start with Pistol/AR. At this point I'm just repeating the same thing incessantly.

BizzyBum

I want some damn challenges to return.

Tie some really cool looking armor, emblems, weapon skins, etc. to in-game challenges. Halo 5 had emblems tied to commendations but it really wasn't enough.

jem0208

I want some damn challenges to return.

Tie some really cool looking armor, emblems, weapon skins, etc. to in-game challenges. Halo 5 had emblems tied to commendations but it really wasn't enough.
Challenges is something we need back.

Honestly one of the more baffling omissions in H5 imo...

wwm0nkey

After looking at some Destiny 2 stuff, Bungie kinda kills it with this "Show Don't Tell" approach to their scenes. 343 tries to explain too much rather than leave some mystery, which to some people might be fine but I don't want to be told EVERYTHING.

(Though Bungie might not have time to explain why they don't have time to explain)

jem0208

If you liked how low the RoF was after what we got during the beta, well, that's on you buddy.

The H5 pistol is probably the most satisfying weapons I've used in a game. There is nothing more rewarding in Halo than pulling off a 5 shot perfect reversal.

Juan

The H5 pistol is probably the most satisfying weapons I've used in a game. There is nothing more rewarding in Halo than pulling off a 5 shot perfect reversal.

Well, we just don't enjoy the same thing. So far, you seem to like everything related to Halo 5 gameplay, on my side, I don't, so we sure can't agree.

Pulling off a perfect reversal with the gunfighter magnum sure feel really great, can't say I feel the same with the base magnum since the RoF feels off for me.

wwm0nkey

I don't envy 343. How can you possibly please everyone.

You can't, it's impossible. Halo had A LOT of options that worked for very different players which was going to cause problems one way or the other. The real trick is nailing all those kinds of styles but that is a lot easier said than done.

Juan

I don't envy 343. How can you possibly please everyone.

Well, you can't. Or you do like CoD, Destiny or Warframe: you add a ton of guns with only changing one statistic on each gun so finally, someone can find a gun which fits its play-style.

Somehow like Halo 5 did with the Warzone and all the weapon variants we got?

Each Halo games played very differently from each other, so it's almost impossible to know what the real base formula is. At least, Bungie don't have this problem anymore with Destiny.

Edit: Is the map rotation still terrible in Halo 5? I keep getting the same map over and over again in the Arena...

jelly

REQs becoming bigger in Halo 6 is a given but it also depends what Halo 6 is actually like, they may even appear in campaign or be something new entirely. We might not even get a solo campaign in the same vein as before and it could be hopping to different planets with your squad and getting loot on your way. I don't think we have seen the last of Spartan Ops and it may become the main event. Also, multiplayer may do away with arena entirely or be just an offshoot of warzone rather than something separate. It will be interesting to see what 343 do.

Trup1aya

If you liked how low the RoF was after what we got during the beta, well, that's on you buddy.

Beta RoF was perfect because with good aim, you could outplay people who had the easy to use autos or map pickups. The only problem was the magnetism.

Then they reduced the magnetism AND lowered the rof

After looking at some Destiny 2 stuff, Bungie kinda kills it with this "Show Don't Tell" approach to their scenes. 343 tries to explain too much rather than leave some mystery, which to some people might be fine but I don't want to be told EVERYTHING.

(Though Bungie might not have time to explain why they don't have time to explain)

Bungie was ace at avoiding exposition. I dont know what they they were thinking when they made D1, but from what i here D2 is return to form. I dont be buying it for a while (gotta make up for the money i wasted on D1), but im really interested to see if they got their mojo back in terms of story telling.

Bud, I don't think you've been paying attention. Think of your favorite thing you liked in X Halo game, now consider that thing in the next game -- there's a high chance it was worsened in some way.
The Halo 5 pistol is the best starting weapon in the series history, let's get rid of it.

-343i
Everyone loved CE and it single-handedly propelled the Xbox to great success
(along with a few other titles like M E C H A S S A U L T etc.
(RIP)
)
. Let's change everything about it.

-Bungie
Arena should start with AR/Pistol and BTB should start with Pistol/AR. At this point I'm just repeating the same thing incessantly.
You and me both, Karl. You and me both.

I take full credit for the Banshee changes though. No one was pushing that shit like I was, even going so far as to tweet @Halo with that video I made! So you're all welcome.
Let's wait to see how they tuned the BR before complaining too much.

Personally I'm loving using the gunfighter mag.
raw

Juan

Beta RoF was perfect because with good aim, you could outplay people who had the easy to use autos or map pickups. The only problem was the magnetism.

Then they reduced the magnetism AND lowered the rof

As people would say, Halo 5 Beta pistol was bae <3 (I guess that's why I love the gunfighter one, even more since it has more ammo than the basic pistol).

But, you know, I would gladly trade magnestism for a slightly bigger AIM assist.

Btw, you were right, BR in its current state is OP and really not fun at all, at least for the Arena, I don't mind for the BTB side.

Trup1aya

REQs becoming bigger in Halo 6 is a given but it also depends what Halo 6 is actually like, they may even appear in campaign or be something new entirely. We might not even get a solo campaign in the same vein as before and it could be hopping to different planets with your squad and getting loot on your way. I don't think we have seen the last of Spartan Ops and it may become the main event. Also, multiplayer may do away with arena entirely or be just an offshoot of warzone rather than something separate. It will be interesting to see what 343 do.

You know, the plan halo 2 was to scrap the arena based multiplayer (and split screen) and go all in on a Warzone like experience.

A handful of devs fought to keep it, and they were tasked with handling that aspect of the game.

Months later the big mode wasnt making any progress, it was scrapped and the small scale halo (along with its matchmaking system) became the feature product. It was amazing.

I say all this to say... please don't give them such ideas!!! Arena saved Halo. Its the backbone. Not some spinoff.

Trup1aya

As people would say, Halo 5 Beta pistol was bae <3 (I guess that's why I love the gunfighter one, even more since it has more ammo than the basic pistol).

But, you know, I would gladly trade magnestism for a slightly bigger AIM assist.

Btw, you were right, BR in its current state is OP and really not fun at all, at least for the Arena, I don't mind for the BTB side.

For me Beta mag, less magnetism, and a classic scope would be my soul mate. I can't really speak on the aim assist because the magnetism through off my perception.

I'm fine with a slower rate of fire, makes missing shots more punishing.

I found the beta magnum felt a bit too spammy.

This is true, but when you lower the rof, you are punishing the magnum guy for missing a shot, while rewarding players for guns that can't miss AND have shorter ttks. (like AR,SMG,BR,Carbine).

Shouldn't the shorter ttk go to the weapon that is harder to use? Is taking on someone who is using an easier gun penalty enough?

Akai__

You can't, it's impossible. Halo had A LOT of options that worked for very different players which was going to cause problems one way or the other. The real trick is nailing all those kinds of styles but that is a lot easier said than done.

Honestly, I know that I (and lots of others) would just appreciate more and deeper settings/customization for Custom Games.

If you could for example toggle between hitscan/projectile or adjust RoF, Aim Assist, Bullet Magentism, Projectile Speed, Damage etc. etc. it would help a lot. You need to double down on these settings, especially now that we have a Custom Game Browser. Lots of these things are already implement, but not open to us.

I still don't understand why they added the individual weapon customization at the end of Halo 4's lifetime, when they didn't even use (or re-use) it once.

Top Bottom